Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Car Done!!

Got my notification that my turbo cab is done. Now the wait. Anyone have a good idea transport time to Minnesota??

Also looking for the recomendations for aftermarket add ons you think are "necessary" ie. Dennison, radar, protective film, and anyone with reccomendations for best installer in Minnesota area.

Re: Car Done!!

Get a good radar detector, that's the only real necessity imo.

IMO, protective film is definitely a plus.

make sure she has a comfy bed with heating and de-huminizer.

The problem with the film is that you can always see it, always aware it's there.. Not fair for me to talk about the denison, I've had nothing but trouble, others work great.

I have seen some horrible film jobs,, esp yrs of this plastic baking in the hot FL sun.

I d never put film on my car.

I would go for the OEM bra for the TT but it doesnt exist unfortunately.

D

Quote:
    turbomandon said:
    I have seen some horrible film jobs,, esp yrs of this plastic baking in the hot FL sun.

I d never put film on my car.

I would go for the OEM bra for the TT but it doesnt exist unfortunately.

D

The 997 hood bra fits on the TT perfectly, it is better than nothing. I use it for long trips and the occasional track outing.

I have the clear bra on my entire hood, both side fenders and front bumper. It's completely transparent. Nobody has able to tell that I have the film on as a result. So, I'd say that if you manage to find a good installer then it'll work out great for you. Same with the Dension which has worked perfectly for me since day one.

Thanks for the input, Does anyone have concerns about clear bra/covers and exposure to salt in the winter? Is it possibly a good thing? (I would hope). With the new Dennison module (1500) does it obviaten the need for the Tooki?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I have the clear bra on my entire hood, both side fenders and front bumper. It's completely transparent. Nobody has able to tell that I have the film on as a result. So, I'd say that if you manage to find a good installer then it'll work out great for you. Same with the Dension which has worked perfectly for me since day one.

At the VERY LEAST it's a must have to get behind each wheel done. If not you can really say goodbye to the paint in that area, quickly.

You know it's strange, guys recommending not to get film because I dont think I've ever heard from a single individual that had it done at one of the very best shops recommend not doing it. Sure, I realize what they're probably thinking I've seen my fair share of butchered film jobs so that's all they're basing their recommendation on but I just think it's terrible advise not to do it on a brand new Porsche, especially when you can be pretty certain they've never seen it done like on your car or mine. There is no way in the world anyone is going to be able to tell my bumper is filmed, not unless they are actually touching it anyway. Plus now it's almost impossible to tell there is even film on the side of my car which looks a whole lot better than stock but you need to find a shop that is excellent at custom one off film. Not easy. It's totally about the quality of the installation.

I forgot. zman - Congrats on your build. That's great news!

For Radar cant go wrong w/ the V1.

Thanks Stradle, car due in Baltimore on the 13th hopefully have in 10 days. Got a reccomendation from a friend who has treated his cars, so have a place to go. Now I need to read up on the what to make sure to do at pickup thread and try to stay patient waiting for the fun to begin.

For the V1, (had one about 10 years ago) can you get it hidden well enough and use remote display, or any suggestions on install?

Stradale....if every film place did it as well as Matt does, everyone would have film! Agree, that a full hood/fender/bumper wrap done right looks fine, but the half-hood crap I see on darker cars and white, is a turn off for me.

Zman: Email me for any details on Bluetooth/Dension. You can add the Gateway 500 main unit, and the BTA for bluetooth, all from the same base, and we have a package deal on the two now.

Good luck with the new ride. Ship Sched is always on our links page too for those in the US. I'm sure the next few days will be difficult!

I just had my brand new 08 GT3RS wrapped in Ventureshield by Premier Mobile. I would not drive it until it was wrapped. Now I have pristine factory paint that I don't have to worry too much about. It is all in the installation and you can not tell my car has anything on it. I highly recommend the wrap if it is done right.

Last month a 997 came into my dealer on a trade that had the clear film and it must have sat in the hot florida sun for yrs and the hood and bumber were all foggy. The dealer had to take this car to the body shop since the film wasnt coming off. The front was completely repainted. I decided with this hot FL sun and its destructiveness no way I will get a clear bra in FL.

And there are no OEM bras that fit the turbo.

Quote:
    AK997TT said:
    I just had my brand new 08 GT3RS wrapped in Ventureshield by Premier Mobile. I would not drive it until it was wrapped. Now I have pristine factory paint that I don't have to worry too much about. It is all in the installation and you can not tell my car has anything on it. I highly recommend the wrap if it is done right.

It's the only way to go. Problem is people lump bad film jobs or even bad film like the do it yourself stuff bought in an auto parts store all together without realizing there are completely different qualities of film & especially different qualities of installations. It's such piece of mind. I just couldnt see myself ruining my paint for no good reason. I was on Ferrari Rally for Charity yesterday. We were about 50 cars. Nassau county cops stopped all traffic on the Long Island Expressway for us to get on and let the cars rip for a few exits. Wont tell you how fast I was going but lets just say how fast would you go if you knew the highway was totally yours w/ all incoming ramps blocked? Anyway, my point is there was quite a bit of flying pebbles etc. w/ everyone so close to one another especially once we got off the highway. I could hear it hitting the front of my car over & over again at high rates of speed.. Zero damage. If the car wasnt filmed it would have had been wrecked, I'm certain of it.

Stradale, I completely agree with you. My new 08 RS sat stowed away in the garage for 4 weeks while I waited for the best installers on the West Coast to wrap my car in VentureShield. I would not drive it until it was protected.

Go to this link for a review and pictures
    http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gt/8654-new-gt3-rs-wrapped-premier-mobile-review-pics.html

wow thats amazing

Quote:
    AK997TT said:
    Stradale, I completely agree with you. My new 08 RS sat stowed away in the garage for 4 weeks while I waited for the best installers on the West Coast to wrap my car in VentureShield. I would not drive it until it was protected.

Go to this link for a review and pictures
    http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gt/8654-new-gt3-rs-wrapped-premier-mobile-review-pics.html

Bill,
    Thanks, fun to look at. Premier is da bomb for the West Coast. Detailing Dynamics is the snizzle on the East. Problem for many people is they dont have access to the 2 best installers. But if you're anywhere near it would be crazy to have it done somewhere else for less $.

I would have done the same thing, waited till it could get done. My last 2 Porsche's & last 2 Ferrari's didnt come home w/ me when I picked them up from the dealer, they all went from the dealer directly to my installer 10 miles away for film. Because I've gone down the other road too, before I knew about film/before it was being done where you pick up a new car & before you know it there are chips in the front or the paint has been blasted away behind the wheels, no thanks.

Is there a strong feeling the minimum coverage should be full hood, bumper both side fenders? This is going on a Basalt Black turbo cab. Car due next week . Getting harder to wait.

IMO, At a minimum the front bumper, mirrors, full hood, partial front fenders, and headlights.

ZMAN, congrats on the ride.

I completely understand how you must feel with the wait ...mine also got here on the 13th and is in PDI...Went to dealer yesterday to get a status and they said 7-10 days in PDI is normal so next week it is...

Went over add-ons with them and decided to go with lo-jack, venture shield and still thinking about the simoniz leather and paint protection (not sure if its worth it), they are throwing in Tooki and will contract out a Denison install for me.

Dealer wants $695 for Venture shield (bumper, half hood, and behind the wheels)...I've seen the half hood jobs and hate that line across the car that you can see, so will probably opt for the full hood...For those that have it, does it take any luster or shine away from the paint or does it ever dull or get foggy over time?...I am getting atlas gray and from what I hear the color varies depending on the light, I didnt want the film to take away from it.

Quote:
    Kamal911 said:
    ZMAN, congrats on the ride.

I completely understand how you must feel with the wait ...mine also got here on the 13th and is in PDI...Went to dealer yesterday to get a status and they said 7-10 days in PDI is normal so next week it is...

Went over add-ons with them and decided to go with lo-jack, venture shield and still thinking about the simoniz leather and paint protection (not sure if its worth it), they are throwing in Tooki and will contract out a Denison install for me.

Dealer wants $695 for Venture shield (bumper, half hood, and behind the wheels)...I've seen the half hood jobs and hate that line across the car that you can see, so will probably opt for the full hood...For those that have it, does it take any luster or shine away from the paint or does it ever dull or get foggy over time?...I am getting atlas gray and from what I hear the color varies depending on the light, I didnt want the film to take away from it.

I would research who is doing the clear film for the dealer. Be sure that the installer does quality work. I would go for the full hood treatment, facia, lights, behind all wheels, rockers, sills, front fenders and the intercooler vents. You will regret it if you don't imo. I don't know if this is your first turbo, but with the type of power that the tt generates coupled with AWD, stones will fly off those front tires. If you corner hard, all the more reason to have the as much covered as possible. Venture will provide you with a nice clear view, although, reportedly can not be buffed if blemishes occurr. 3M can be buffed, but has a little more orange peel. I prefer installers that wrap and tuck the film where ever possible. Those pre-cut kits that leave seems around the hood lights etc.. are not that pretty and leave future chance for peeling and/or dirt.

I have never heard of a paint and/or leather product that offers lasting protection more than any other high end product that you apply periodically. I would simply frequently use a quality wax and leather conditioner; Mcguires, whatever... Also, any areas covered with clear film must be devoid of wax, so clear film and a paint treatment seem redundant.

I don't understand the benefit of Lojack.

IMO, a quality clear film , radar detector and frequent waxing and you are good to go. Save your money for gas.

Congrats. I would vote for protective film and radar protector. I am thinking about Blue Tooth myself and am trying to decide between Dension and Tooki. Depending on whom you are listening to, there might be some echo problem with one of both of these units that seems to vary from installation to installation.

Re. film, I have Venture Shield but could definitely see the logic for 3M (true?) that Stradale's installer uses. Is 3M the same stuff that PAG uses in front of the rear wheel? If so, it may yellow but is a bit more durable and more protective?

Quote:
    zman said:
    Got my notification that my turbo cab is done. Now the wait. Anyone have a good idea transport time to Minnesota??

Also looking for the recomendations for aftermarket add ons you think are "necessary" ie. Dennison, radar, protective film, and anyone with reccomendations for best installer in Minnesota area.

Thanks Devo

This is my first Turbo so appreciate the advice

The more I research the Simoniz leather and paint protection the more I read that it is not worth the money and will most likely pass on that option...

As for the install I went to the venture shield website for an installer in my area. When I called them they said that they would be the ones doing the install at my dealer.

I asked him to do the full hood but he said they don't do them because they have not come out right in the past and they use the pre-cut pieces. They said they would go about 20" up the hood, do the headlights, bumper, and mirrors but when dirty I would be able to see that line on my hood...

Anyone recommend an installer that would do the entire car in MA?

Also for radar was thinking of V1...any thoughts?

I would definitely reccomend doing the full hood. I have a repaint looming in my future that would have like been prevented with full hood cover.

Quote:
    Kamal911 said:
    Thanks Devo

This is my first Turbo so appreciate the advice

The more I research the Simoniz leather and paint protection the more I read that it is not worth the money and will most likely pass on that option...

As for the install I went to the venture shield website for an installer in my area. When I called them they said that they would be the ones doing the install at my dealer.

I asked him to do the full hood but he said they don't do them because they have not come out right in the past and they use the pre-cut pieces. They said they would go about 20" up the hood, do the headlights, bumper, and mirrors but when dirty I would be able to see that line on my hood...

Anyone recommend an installer that would do the entire car in MA?

Also for radar was thinking of V1...any thoughts?

On the east coast, the only place that I am aware of is Detailing Dynamics. That's where Stradale had his tt done. They are incredible. Flawless work. I wouldn't do a pre-cut kit. DD cuts all their pieces and tucks everything. They are in Mineola NY. It might very well be worth the trip. I taped the entire front of my tt with blue painters tape and drove there from upstate NY. Went to NYC for a couple of days. It was definately worth it.

Just look at Stradales's car. He turned me on to them.

Congrats on your car! I am getting the first MY2010 tt at my dealer. i have a bit of a wait

I just called Matt at Detailing Dynamics to see if he could recommend an installer in my area...The guy is great ...He spent a half hour on the phone with me giving me advise on what I should look for and his recommendations on the different film products available.

I don't think that I will have time to take a trip out there for myself, even knowing that he gave me a few contacts that may be able to recommend someone more local for me.

Devo: May the wait on your MY2010 go by fast...

That's great. Hopefully one of the conttacts will work out. Matt and Eddie are very nice to deal with. Enjoy yours in good health.

Kamal, Congrats, talked to dealer, car here next week.

Thanks Devo and Cannga about the advice on coverage - this is my first turbo (first Porsche too)

The Dealer has given me the name of a local installer they use and my partner who has several PC and Ferrari uses him - so I will too. Haven't talked to him yet, but will ask for whole hood based on what I am reading.

Cannga - have you followed the recent posts on the newer Dennison BTH? have you heard concerns?

Regarding radar - any built ins (hidden) worth looking at - or is V1 the way - this is going into a cab and worry about having the unit visible.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761161 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434630 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260131 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257278 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80816 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871518 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM