Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PDK buttons "experienced" thru BMW paddles

I drove my M3 with SMG paddles today. By gripping the wheel and pretending Porsche's "buttons" are there it looks like it P's will work fine.

LOOSELY speaking it's like you're lighting a Bic lighter with your thumb, more like the first joint of your thumb and squeezing the "button" to shift.

The ONLY way this can work (by working I mean keeping both hands planted on the wheel thru a turn) is if the right hand is shifting up and the left hand is shifting down even though they are both squeezing their respective "button" the same way (just like the dedicated + paddle and dedicated - paddle works).

IOW, For it to work you can only squeeze Porsche's buttons one way and that one way gives you a down shift on one side and a up shift on the other.

If there's a up and down shift on BOTH buttons it will probably be really strange and really suck.

Re: PDK buttons "experienced" thru BMW paddles

Why don't you guys just watch the PDK short video on the Inner Strength web special site on the Porsche website? It shows someone using the PDK paddles on the steering wheel. Looks absolutely fine to me. I am going to be testing the PDK steering wheel on 8 July at a Porsche PDE event so I will happily let you guys know whether it caused a problem or whether it was fine.

To be perfectly frank, I think the user experience of the PDK rocker switches will be a massive improvement on the awful Tiptronic S buttons. After all, those are the buttons that the PDK rocker switches are actually replacing...not a manual gearbox.

For me the real issue is that: PDK and how big an improvement it is over the Tiptronic S. Not the manual. That is a very different interaction process. No PDK buttons will ever match the feeling of involvement of a manual gearbox.

PDK simply helps the driver squeeze the maximum accelerative performance out of the car and optimises the ease of driving the car in situations where frequent gear changes are necessitated e.g. city traffic. It cannot in any way shape or form match a manual gear lever for driver interaction. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there is something 'primaeval' about that physical pleasure.

You know when you are flying up the tach and reaching redline and then you _INSTANTLY_ shoot (jamb, shove,thrust,) into the next gear FASTER TAHN YOU THOUGHT WAS POSSIBLE and the clutch goes out and the power just keeps accelerating the car without a lag?

I swear I can _manually_ up shift like an insane SOB and it's exactly what the car was built for. Maybe a half second.

I can do that manually..., I get a big shot of adrenaline when I do.

You kno what? The exact same shot of Adrenaline comes when I flick one of the paddles on my SMG.

I don't see the big deal: there's A feeling of involvement whic is fantastic when things are happening really fast and power is being transmitted without let up. Freekin rev-matched up and down shifts folllowed by extreme speed: doesn't have to be done by the driver's arm/leg to get satisfaction.

Sure - everyone's different like that...

Gotta go with the new technology. Extremely Fast perfect rev-matched up AND DOWN shifts. Total power transfer. Same adrenaline rush.

People should try it and realize that until they do they might be sounding foolish using terms like "feel connected to car" and "more driver involvement" when speculating about the advantages of their manual gearbox.

Anyway the point of this thread was to say I believe the FL car's PDK Buttons will be JUST FINE as long as the left one is down-only and the right one is up-only.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Gotta go with the new technology. Extremely Fast perfect rev-matched up AND DOWN shifts. Total power transfer. Same adrenaline rush.

People should try it and realize that until they do they might be sounding foolish using terms like "feel connected to car" and "more driver involvement" when speculating about the advantages of their manual gearbox.

Anyway the point of this thread was to say I believe the FL car's PDK Buttons will be JUST FINE as long as the left one is down-only and the right one is up-only.

as long as we don't get confuse on which is left and which is right

For those of use who will not be able to 'un-learn' the BMW M3 paddles, I have the perfect compromise !

I'm sure the PDK 'buttons' are just simple plastic switches. So inside the steering where there will be two wires attached to the switch - one to register a push and one to register a pull. We simply ask our friendly dealer to swap these two wires on the right-hand button. This means that pulling on the right-hand button now initiates an up-shift.

This gives us the same experience as the M3 SMG - pull on the right to upshift, pull on the left to downshift. No need to push on the buttons at all !

Might confuse the valet parkers and garage technicians though

Does ANYBODY know if the Porsche PDK buttons are push only and only the left button downshifts and only right button upshifts?

I've convinced myself that Porsche PDK is exclusively push right to upshift, push left to downshift. It _HAS_ to be that way!

I think we're getting confused because PDK (probably) has nothing to do with how Tip functions button-wise; they toggle and PDK is push-only.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Does ANYBODY know if the Porsche PDK buttons are push only and only the left button downshifts and only right button upshifts?

I've convinced myself that Porsche PDK is exclusively push right to upshift, push left to downshift. It _HAS_ to be that way!

I think we're getting confused because PDK (probably) has nothing to do with how Tip functions button-wise

NO. Both buttons do both + and -
    + push the button with thump from the front
    - push with pointer finger or perhaps middle finger from the rear
    You can also use the stick to change gears unlike other systems.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

I think we're getting confused because PDK (probably) has nothing to do with how Tip functions button-wise

HOLY SHEEET! Not good. Might be too confusing.

Sounds very wussy too. Should never take hands off wheel etc, now with "push pull" on each hand it would encourage people to drive one handed.

BTW, Stick change option is on BMW SMG. Push forward down, pull backward up.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

HOLY SHEEET! Not good. Might be too confusing.

Sounds very wussy too. Should never take hands off wheel etc, now with "push pull" on each hand it would encourage people to drive one handed.

BTW, Stick change option is on BMW SMG. Push forward down, pull backward up.

What I say is that somebody will get used to the pattern within a few minutes. Unless of course you drive many cars within a short period of time with different configurations in which csae the familiarisation might take 5 more minutes

Do you guys ever play with a Nintendo Game Boy, or a Nintendo DS, Nintendo Game Cube, or Nintendo Wii??? They all have different controllers. And they all seem awkward the first 1/2 hour you use it. But in the end, it all seems very natural once your fingers are use to it. And, amazingly, you can go back and forth between the different game controllers with no problem. I'm pretty confident that the first time the test drivers used the PDK puddle system, if felt a little awkward. For the first 1/2 hour. But after driving it a few times, it probably felt natural.

Remember the first time you had to drive a manual and you had to use your left foot for the clutch? If you don't remember how awkward that was, try imaginging driving with a clutch using your right foot.

Maybe the problem is that we're all getting a little old and we don't like change. I'm sure a teenager or 20-something would have no problem with the Porsche PDK steering wheel puddles.

Quote:
    ricka said:
    Might confuse the valet parkers and garage technicians though

That's pretty funny.

Actually, it might be a good option. Have a steering wheel which has puddles AKA the F1 Ferrari system. If we can have a multi-function steering wheel with all the buttons, why can't we have a steering wheel option with puddles?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Maybe the problem is that we're all getting a little old and we don't like change. I'm sure a teenager or 20-something would have no problem with the Porsche PDK steering wheel puddles.

I think the problem might be Porsche dumbing down their cars beyond the limit (I thought fake quads and SC was the limit).

The only way the PDK switches make sense for PDK are upshift right hand, downshift left hand. This way your hands should never leave the wheel even in a turn.

The fact that they are up- and down-shift either hand is frkn ridiculous poseur BS. (oops, I'm in a bad mood for some reason).

GOD!! I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready for electric cars and 0-60 in 2 seconds.

No more BS internal combustion reciprocation power transmission issues.

If the steering wheel is turned, won't it get a little confusing which puddle is upshift and which is downshift? If that's the case wouldn't it be easier to know that regardless of the puddle, pushing is upshift and vice-versa?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    If the steering wheel is turned, won't it get a little confusing which puddle is upshift and which is downshift? If that's the case wouldn't it be easier to know that regardless of the puddle, pushing is upshift and vice-versa?

Good point but I don't think so. You might be right. I dunno.

It is easy in my M3. left HAND is down right HAND is up, in a turn it's DONE.

Maybe I was born too late to get the necessary Nintendo skills to remember more than that in a turn.

LEFT DOWN--------------------------RIGHT UP

or

thumb up-------------------------------thumb up
    finger down----------------------------finger down

Dunno... .

Fugeddaboudit:

See this :

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=451310&an=0&page=0#451310

What's it like?

If the new PDK gearbox sounds complicated on paper, in reality it works beautifully, except for one thing; the buttons themselves aren't especially intuitive to use. Unlike rival systems that feature an upshift paddle on the right and a downshift wand on the left, Porsche has chosen to fit upshift buttons which you nudge with your thumbs on top of the wheel on both sides, with the downshift buttons again on both sides at the back. To begin with you may find yourself flicking the left hand downshift button to change up, and all sorts of other odd combos.

You would think that Porsche would of made the shifting positions more driver friendly, seems were going backwards here. My M3 SMG is easy to downshift and upshift it makes perfect sense. Im sure with the PDK itll eventually make sense with time, but having both cars may make it seem weird at times. Just my two cents.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Why don't you guys just watch the PDK short video on the Inner Strength web special site on the Porsche website? It shows someone using the PDK paddles on the steering wheel. Looks absolutely fine to me.

Of course they have to sell this gearbox like the best in anything, mechanicals, speed of change, ergonomy.... Imagine them making a video where looks like this is the wrong way!!!

And I have just found this on the Autocar. I will post just the part about the PDK buttons and the link so who wants can read all the article:

If the new PDK gearbox sounds complicated on paper, in reality it works beautifully, except for one thing; the buttons themselves aren't especially intuitive to use. Unlike rival systems that feature an upshift paddle on the right and a downshift wand on the left, Porsche has chosen to fit upshift buttons which you nudge with your thumbs on top of the wheel on both sides, with the downshift buttons again on both sides at the back. To begin with you may find yourself flicking the left hand downshift button to change up, and all sorts of other odd combos.

Once acclimatized to the way in which the system is accessed, however, the gearbox itself really is something special. Upshifts are almost seamless, even when changing from second to third at 7400rpm. And on the way down it's arguably better still, blipping the revs perfectly to match the lower ratio, and doing so faster and more precisely than any human ever could.

I tried the entry model with the 3.6-litre flat six engine, yours for Pounds63,070 before items like PCCB at Pounds5439 and PASM at Pounds1030 have been added, as they had been to the test car. The new engine is notably smoother and more refined than It was which is, in the main, a very good thing. It suffers from less vibration across the whole rev range, the throttle response is keener than ever, and the relative lack of noise on the motorway is clearly a step forwards.

What's perhaps not so welcome is the lack of aural character of the new engine, Porsche having done such a good job at improving refinement that it is now hard to tell how many cylinders there are and what sort of formation they lie in. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration but, either way, the flat six soundtrack has definitely been toned down a decibel too far. Mind you, it's nothing a factory fit sports exhaust couldn't sort.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Porsche-911-3.6-Carrera/211024/

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255552 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857627 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773465 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM