Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche's paddles are CORRECT.

Quote:
    If you're that self-obsessed to think it's about you I suggest you go back to listening to your Carly Simon records.

What arrogance.

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    Quote:
    If you're that self-obsessed to think it's about you I suggest you go back to listening to your Carly Simon records.

What arrogance.

Guys give it a rest, I bet the technicians at Porsche will be laughing at us when they read our feedback

Quote:
    Italo said:
    Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    Quote:

What arrogance.

Guys give it a rest, I bet the technicians at Porsche will be laughing at us when they read our feedback

How about Walter Rohrl and the rest of the test drivers team spendig hundreds of hours on Nordschleife - maybe they dont know wat's right ???

Marketing beats Walter Rhorl shock

Quote:
    How about Walter Rohrl and the rest of the test drivers team spendig hundreds of hours on Nordschleife - maybe they dont know wat's right ???

Have you ever heard of marketing? In the World Cup the score is "Marketing 1, Walter Rhorl 0.

Marketing always wins that kind of contest.

Re: Marketing beats Walter Rhorl shock

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Quote:

Have you ever heard of marketing? In the World Cup the score is "Marketing 1, Walter Rhorl 0.

Marketing always wins that kind of contest.

I dont think that I ever heard of Mr.Marketing, is he driving 997 Cabriolet - too ?

Steering wheel: PDK

I want to reserve my view until I actually try using it. Maybe it will be great - let's wait and see! I do however think it looks somewhat ugly. I'm interested to see what the aftermarket wheel will look like.

Quote:
    I dont think that I ever heard of Mr.Marketing, is he driving 997 Cabriolet - too ?

Yes. and he tells Mr. Rhorl what to say at press conferences, because Mr. Rhorl is an employee of Porsche.

A few numbers :

the FL is 8 cm longer ( 4435 mm, before 4427)
    The manual weight is : 1425 kg ( before 1420)
    The PDK ( which is called Tiptronic S ) is 1455 kg ( before 1460 )

Acceleration for the manual : 0 to 100 km is 4,7
    80 to 120 km/h is 5.9 ( in 5th gear)
    0 to 160 km/h is 9.9

Acceleration for Tiptronic S ( PDK) is : 0 to 100 km/h 4.5 ( 4.3 with Chrono sport plus)
    80 to 120 km/h in 6th is 6,4
    0 to 160 km/h is 9,6 ( with Chrono sport plus pack 9,3 )

and sports exaust only avalable in november

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    and sports exaust only avalable in november

will definately wait untill November or more before ordering ours....I prefer PSE from factory rather than retrofit..

Why is there still a stick? With paddles they could have eliminated it...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Stick is here to stay for a while (at least until after the next generation I would say). Its about driving habits: yes PDK may be faster now compared to manual, but some drivers will continue to favor the raw feel (and driver involvement) of changing gears via the stick. Admittedly, manual stick drivers may become a dying breed

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

When you are making a tight turn and the steering wheel is in an awkward location, the stick could be convenient...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

When you are making a tight turn and the steering wheel is in an awkward location, the stick could be convenient...

That's why you need fixed paddles and not wheel mounted buttons...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

That's why you need fixed paddles and not wheel mounted buttons...

I'd rather have Porsche style switches on the steering wheel plus possibility for stick shift than Ferrari paddles with no stick. IMO the Porsche method will cover all driving possibilities, on road and track without any areas of defficiency.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

+1 and used a sexy little button for reverse.....and push both wheel buttons forward or back for neutral...oh wait it's porsche you would have to push one forward and one backwards to engage neutral....and they would do the first pull-button in the center console to engage reverse.

on a more serious note, although i think pdk is the best transmission technology out there, i am aftaid porsche is losing it's edge more and more. the bae carrera is no more attractive from a performance point than a merc sl. and i do not even mean an sl63.

there must be a return to a light, pure 911. i know t is the gt3 but many people do not want the wings etc. they simply want a pure 911.

i have a turbo in addition to my gt2 as i want the power. would they offer a pure carrera i would definiteyl go for it and have a NA 911 next to m gt2.

Tell you one thing, no way Porsche puts the stupid buttons on the GT3 mkII with PDK...

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    A few numbers :

the FL is 8 cm longer ( 4435 mm, before 4427)

FWIW, I make that 8 mm longer, = virtually the same length.

I only mention it because you had me worried for a second, since more length would normally mean more weight.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Tell you one thing, no way Porsche puts the stupid buttons on the GT3 mkII with PDK...

So you think the GT3 will stay with the 6-speed stickshift then?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

These buttons would be an insult on the GT3... Oh wait, they are the same guys who left the sunroof on the GT3... There is no hope...

am i the only one here who still wants to stick with a manual?
    there is something pure about matching revs and clutch plate revolutions IMO
    as for the continuing references to performance and comparisons to an SL etc.
    1. agree with light-weight sentiments
    2. regardless, increased weight is function of increased safety, equipment and dimensions (are some benefits)
    3. despite all that, brakes (at least on S) and center of gravity make the 2 cars incomparable in terms of performance, particularly on a nice winding mountain or B-road (0 - 100 times in a stock 911 are rather meaningless) Weight distribution adds character. Steering feel, feedback, ergonomics, evolution of proven themes and technology and making something already great just that little better? - what more do I have to say...

Quote:
    gw2009 said:

No

Quote:
    gw2009 said:

No, as my best driving experiences involve a manual shifter. Personally, I love revving the engine between gears and shifting through the gears. Porsche' manual gearbox is one of the sweetest out there, and I would hate to see it go, but I am sure eventually it will. At least there will be some good used manual Porsche's available.

Stick + Clutch

+1. I will stay with proper stick + clutch and leave the rest to shift with puddles.

Re: Stick + Clutch

+1 im going for the manual - i prefer the involvment.

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:

BY THE WAY, there is one VERY ANNOYING thing about the Ferrari paddles. Ocassionally in real life while driving, my phone rings. I actually sometimes do answer it and talk. On those ocassions, with the phone in my hand, when I need to upshift/downshift (I can't remember which) I have to reach OVER the wheel to the other side with the opposite hand to shift. I'm not talking about during spirited driving, just in village traffice on my way home from playing golf and my wife calls to pick up something at the market, for example.

What you believe is a more "natural" setup REQUIRES 2 hands on the wheel in order for it to feel natural. Porsche's does NOT. Porsche understands real life, and its natural intuitive senses, better than Ferrari I think.

While some criticises Porsche to death for leaving the sunroof on the GT3 hence betray the pureness and tainted a true sports car, others praise it's new Ferrari beating practicality as it allows one up-shift and down-shift single handedly to facilitate the need for using the other hand to hold and commence cellour phone conversation while driving, occasionally.

Amazing.

Mine will be a stick.

Quote:
    jo2k said:
    Quote:
    CarreraTT said:

BY THE WAY, there is one VERY ANNOYING thing about the Ferrari paddles. Ocassionally in real life while driving, my phone rings. I actually sometimes do answer it and talk. On those ocassions, with the phone in my hand, when I need to upshift/downshift (I can't remember which) I have to reach OVER the wheel to the other side with the opposite hand to shift. I'm not talking about during spirited driving, just in village traffice on my way home from playing golf and my wife calls to pick up something at the market, for example.

What you believe is a more "natural" setup REQUIRES 2 hands on the wheel in order for it to feel natural. Porsche's does NOT. Porsche understands real life, and its natural intuitive senses, better than Ferrari I think.

While some criticises Porsche to death for leaving the sunroof on the GT3 hence betray the pureness and tainted a true sports car, others praise it's new Ferrari beating practicality as it allows one up-shift and down-shift single handedly to facilitate the need for using the other hand to hold and commence cellour phone conversation while driving, occasionally.

Amazing.

There is one episode of Miami Vice where Crockett is talking on his "80's block style" telephone, and uses his OTHER hand to change the gear stick in his Testarossa - therefore this is not a "problem" with the F1 Ferrari gearbox. You could always stick it in Auto mode though, when you answer the phone.

However, talking on the handset whilst driving in the UK is illegal, and you can be punished with up to 2 years in jail!

Quote:
    fritz said:

I believe the GT3 will prodominately will be PDK-cars. Sports Chrono Package Plus has GT3 written all over it. It provides PDK equipped cars a faster shift
    program for track driving and launch control

i've allready went to my dealer to talk about handing over my 987 boxster to order a new 997 carrera S FL. They haven't got any pricelists or info yet, though they allready knew most information that is also posted here on the forums.
    Their first 997 FL will be delivered 4th of July (which is not a holiday here in Belgium ) and the will have the pricelists in the next 10 days, which they will email me.

I don't know if many members here are in EU, but i can post them for you to see ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM