Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Gen2 - New Order + Owner to be

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the 911 scene. I have placed an order for the Gen 2 911 C2S Coupe. I should with some luck get the car for 1st Sep 2008.
    Spec as follows:
    Basalt Black + Black Leather
    Sports Heated Seats
    19" Turbo Wheels
    Sat Nav
    Bluetooth
    Ipod/USB
    Bose
    Sports Chrono

I want some opinions on the wheels - I didnt get to see the new S wheels until a few days and now think I should have stuck with the new S wheels rather than Pounds550 upgrade for Turbo wheels - what are your thoughts?

Also the noise issues peeps are mentioning with PDK - what is that?

Hope Im not sounding to dumb.

Thanks

Re: 997 Gen2 - New Order + Owner to be

Hi, welcome and congrats on the car.

You seem to have the basics covered on the spec but one word of warning... most people spend months thinking about spec and ensure they get it right for them, if you do get it wrong you will regret it and end up buying another 911 18 months later as you are not happy!

Wheels are a personnel choice go for what you like - the new CS wheels seems quite popular but they are not for me - I have specced carrera sports with my Gen 2 - I've got Sport Designs at the moment! The turbo wheels will look good on a black car though.

PDK is basically Porsche's dual clutch semi automatic gearbox - lots of discussion about it since the release and again it is what you want that matters - people will give different advice but build the car to fit your needs - this bit is key..... what I fail to understand is how you can dismiss it without knowing what it is (I'm not being mean honestly, just trying to help) I specced it as I track the car and want the fast changes and the benefits of the race track gear strategy etc - I also want the best technology that Porsche have so I went for it - ie my spec fits my requirements!

Whatever you go for in the end you will be driving the best all round car on the planet so enjoy!

definitely go for pdk !

Quote:
    J1220 said:
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the 911 scene. I have placed an order for the Gen 2 911 C2S Coupe. I should with some luck get the car for 1st Sep 2008.
    Spec as follows:
    Basalt Black + Black Leather
    Sports Heated Seats
    19" Turbo Wheels
    Sat Nav
    Bluetooth
    Ipod/USB
    Bose
    Sports Chrono

I want some opinions on the wheels - I didnt get to see the new S wheels until a few days and now think I should have stuck with the new S wheels rather than Pounds550 upgrade for Turbo wheels - what are your thoughts?

Also the noise issues peeps are mentioning with PDK - what is that?

Hope Im not sounding to dumb.

Thanks

If you don't know what PDK is I suggest you hold of your order. Walk into a dealer and ask to try either a VW GTI(with DSG) or an Audi with S-tronic.

Nice spec J1220....

I decided to hold off on the PDK as its a new technology and didnt want to risk it + i like the feel of a manual shift (feels more involved to me - I tried a current car with the triptronic and I didnt like it (i know the pdk is going to be much better) felt slow and uninvolving - just my opinion btw!) I dont track the car so thats no prob to me

Again with wheels it really is a matter of taste - I like most of the wheels that are options - especially the carrera classics - but decided to go for the new CS II wheels as I think they look very sporty. Turbos are very nice depending on the color of the car (black being one of them!)

Enjoy!

Welcome to Rennteam, I'm sure you've got a good spec.

i would suggest to wait and go for a test drive with the PDK. only then u will know if u will like it. DSG and Stronic will definately be different layouts then the PDK...

Guys, thanks for the warm welcome and opinions.
    I wil try to get a drive in VW/Audi today to get a feel of DSG.

Are alot of people including rear wper in their spec?

Thanks

i am not getting rear wiper and know of 2 others - to me it spoils the lines of the rear (my opinion).. I havent got a rear wiper on my Audi.

I bought used 997 which didn't have rear wiper. I was a bit concerned but it hasn't been an issue at all in the UK. I personally wouldn't bother if spec'ing a new car.

I would however, go for PDK to protect residuals. I'd also go for the new Carrera 2 alloys rather than Turbo wheels. Finally FWIW the parking sensors are worth having (should be standard IMO)

Welcome to the board and enjoy the whole buying\accepting & running in experience!!

Go with the new S wheels. I think they look fantastic. Better than my current S wheels. Turbo wheels on anything other than a 997TT looks strange, in my opinion.

And, if it was my car, I would go with blk, instead of basalt metallic black.

+1 on the S2 style wheels

yup turbo wheels only suit the turbo.

i dont think the turbo wheels only look good on the turbo..they also look fantastic on the cayman for example..
    however, i would also go with the new S wheels. looks fresh and really sporty..

The new S wheels are the same design as the Z06 wheels - nice choice actually.

Quote:
    bridggar said:
    I would however, go for PDK to protect residuals....

Now that's a bit of a presumption - AFAIK only Ferrari has had enough positive response from their sequential manual systems to result in stronger residuals - they sell +80% of their cars with that transmission. Will Porsche attain that level of PDK dominance given their much larger 911 sales? Pretty hard to predict from this lowly vantage point...

No to rear wiper - spoils the lines as does park assist in my opinion - you can get RainX or similar for the back window - there is some product from the Czech that is meant to be very good.

Quote:
    4trac said:

Now that's a bit of a presumption - AFAIK only Ferrari has had enough positive response from their sequential manual systems to result in stronger residuals - they sell +80% of their cars with that transmission. Will Porsche attain that level of PDK dominance given their much larger 911 sales? Pretty hard to predict from this lowly vantage point...

I don't think every market is the same. What may be great in the US\Canada (white cars with brown interiors) isn't so hot on the UK. But if you look at 997TT sales, most have to have Tip & SC package to sell easily. Given PDK will improve performance over a manual now, this will be a much desired option. (albeit IMHO)

Yep - over 3 years from new I predict pdk will protect residuals by at least the option price and probably more.

I am currently looking at how to best finance my gen 2 and have been told that my spec (pdk, -20mm PASM, SC, Nav iod and bluetooth) will allow me a much greater residual value.

Got a test drive in the R32 DSG without paddles and didnt really like it - up/down gear changes were very responsive but did feel like a glorifies auto box (only my opinion) but more than likey the PKD will have a much more interactive feel.

I speced the car before the launch of FL. I do really like the new S Wheel so will be calling the dealer to change.

Any other thoughs on Basalt Black to standard Black?

thanks

with standard black you get a better shine when polished but scratches are more obvious, while with basalt the scratches are a bit hidden by the metal particles in the paint. I went for Basalt black

I too went Basalt after seeing both cars next to each other and taking advice from the dealer (alot harder to keep flat black clean, also it can fade (as does guards red) and therefore is reflected in residuals).

I agree that buyers in diiferent Locals are looking for specific options. IMHO, in the North East (NY,NJ) it is VERY difficult to find a CAB with TIP.

IN NYC we only get a few months of Prime "CAB" weather. Most head to the shore points which if you leave NYC at 1PM on Friday during the summer, expect to be in traffic for 3 hours to you destination. Hence, why TIP is popular here.

After 3 years of shifting(M3) from only 1st to 2nd for hours...I will spec PDK. I will miss those moments of interacting with the engine...but not that much.
    Yes maybe fewer were made but a C4S with TIP resales now within a few days. if it's new, it sells within 2 weeks in "CAB" season. I have been looking for 6 months and this is JMO.

And other reasons.."Got old, and got married"

i told u the VW DSG would be different than the PDK, which will have a more sporty layout. However, due to the fact that double clutch trans. do in fact make the gear change as smooth as it can be it will always feel a bit like a well working tiptronic.
    i had an interresting conversation lately with horst von saurma and i was surprised to hear him say that he much preferred the BMW SMG over the new DKG...simply because it feels too smooth. It does do its job though he concluded...
    i would def go with the metallic paint. not only because it looks better IMO but also because it will look better over time (light scratches etc.)

I have speced yesterday a C2S Basalt balck with PDK... basalt because I am not a enough of a neat freack to keep my car always cleaned and be sooo carefull each time i wash it, and PDK because it's my daily driver and I spent at least two ours a day in traffic jams and slow city driving. I will greatly miss the gear changes each time I track my car or go for spirited driving, I might hate the 'automatic' feel, but I might discover something new

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I have speced yesterday a C2S Basalt balck with PDK... basalt because I am not a enough of a neat freack to keep my car always cleaned and be sooo carefull each time i wash it, and PDK because it's my daily driver and I spent at least two ours a day in traffic jams and slow city driving. I will greatly miss the gear changes each time I track my car or go for spirited driving, I might hate the 'automatic' feel, but I might discover something new

Gnil - did yo go for the new S wheel or an upgrade?

Quote:
    J1220 said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

Gnil - did yo go for the new S wheel or an upgrade?

For the moment I have the new S wheels ( not mad about them , but does not dislike them either ), that I will try to get in black. the configurator says it is not possible with this rim but I will try to have it anyway.

have u seen an updated configurator? where?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764522 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436620 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261095 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258010 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876991 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809073 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM