Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Hand Position

I believe that all this talk about the gear switching buttons or paddles is for nothing. You will learn the new system no matter what it is. And you will have fun doing the learning

What I find strange is that in Formula1, those guys have the money to implement any kind of buttons/paddles/switches they want and they are using paddles placed on the steering wheel. Not on the column like on Ferrari's road cars. So for me that is the best system. If that system was wrong they would change it, don't you think?

It's been said here before I think, but that's because the F1 cars have very small turning ratios compared to the road car.

Pentium - it means it is the best system for their application; in this case F1.

I believe the Porsche pdk system will prove to be the best system for their application, ie enthusiastic drivers, a balance of road and track and functional for 200 000 miles wit minimal servicing.

Different playing fields!

My main concern is that PDK is aimed at the Tip clients.... So, is the compromise too much on the confort part, or does this system still leave enough room for a sport feeling ?
    Is PDK with sport chrono plus very different to the normal setting ?
    I wonder if on the GT3 they will keep the puddles or go for paddles ?

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    My main concern is that PDK is aimed at the Tip clients.... So, is the compromise too much on the confort part, or does this system still leave enough room for a sport feeling ?
    Is PDK with sport chrono plus very different to the normal setting ?
    I wonder if on the GT3 they will keep the puddles or go for paddles ?

Le Chef, Rossi! What have we done?

Re: PDK Paddle Comp: What do you think?

Quote:
    Plus, how sporty is it in hand -over hand -turning

Why would you want to do that?

Quote:
    Recall how many of us in the 1980s used to rotate the 911's speedometer counter-clockwise so we could see the upper scale better but still the smaller gauges on the wider spaced instrument cluster were never really fully readable without moving your head left /right/up/down.

Never did this with the speedometer. But, yeah, everyone pried the tach out (the separate, big gauge in the middle of the array) and spun it about 120 degrees counterclockwise so that the redline was at the 12 o'clock position.

Quote:
    What I find strange is that in Formula1, those guys have the money to implement any kind of buttons/paddles/switches they want and they are using paddles placed on the steering wheel. Not on the column like on Ferrari's road cars. So for me that is the best system. If that system was wrong they would change it, don't you think?

Bingo!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    The most important question is:
    Should these paddles - buttons be called puttles or baddles ?

A few of us had already reluctantly got used to puddles.

How about BUTTLES

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    Quote:

Bingo!

F1 car steering wheels only need maybe 1 turn lock-to-lock whereas a road car has 3+ turns, so comparison with F1 is pretty much irrelevant.

Quote:
    My main concern is that PDK is aimed at the Tip clients....

Why would you think that? If Porsche just wanted to keep Tip clients happy, they could've saved a quarter of billion Euros' development costs and just kept the Tip.

Porschephiles have been clamoring over the late-to-market PDK for a decade. It is clearly a faster (for track and spirited driving) gearbox. Most likely, the rumored reason for the delay in development was a keen desire for reliability and endurance. Ask any Ferrari 360/430 owner: Ferrari's F1 gearbox tears up $7,500 clutches at the rate of one every 5,000 miles. Plus, they cannot be back up a hill without billowing white, acrid clutch smoke.

The double-clutch was the way to go, Porsche wanted to make sure they did it right. And not bankrupt the company with warranty claims or bad PR for clutch failures.

I predict that beginning with the 2010 model year, at least 50%, probably more, will be ordered with PDK. Certainly once the initial demand is satisifed and dealers start ordering cars for on-hand inventory, most of those will be PDK.

Does anyone know if Porsche is building the gearbox/clutch themselves or if they are sourcing it from a supplier (and if so, if that firm has any involvement in the Audi and/or BMW double-clutch gearboxes)?

I've had a manual transmission on all my vehicles, when given a choice. But I'm willing to try out the PDK. Of course, I'll need a pretty long test drive before I commit to see if I really like it. But the way I look at it is, it's not just for performance, it's got to be fun to use. Otherwise, what's the point. I'm not intending to race other cars with this vehicle. That's why I would never consider getting a tip because, even though it is faster than the manual (at least the 997TT is), driving around in an auto-box is not my idea of fun. Using 'puddles' to control a dual clutch gearbox and having the system rev-match on down-shifts sounds really great but would I have more fun driving with that system or the basic manual, I don't know yet. But I'm open to try.

Fritz, even in a road sport car I don't think you want to change up or down a gear if your steering wheel is turned more than once. Maybe that's why F cars placed the paddles on the steering column? To avoid errors from less professional drivers? If that's the case, I don't like systems that are placing any kind of gear changing switches on the steering wheel, especially in the area Porsche placed the "buddles" (buttons+paddles) LOL

And yes, I HATE multifunction steering wheels... with the exception of one beloved manettino hi hi hi

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    Fritz, even in a road sport car I don't think you want to change up or down a gear if your steering wheel is turned more than once.

I agree with that certainly, but - unlike an F1 car - a road car does not allow the driver to always have his thumbs near buttons or paddles, regardless of where they are sited.
    My point was just that drawing an analogy to F1 practice is irrelevant for the reason just explained.

I have found in the past that both wheel-mounted Tiptronic toggles and Ferrari/Lambo column-mounted paddles had their advantages and disadvantages, and it was just a question of getting accustomed to using them.

I'd want to try out the PDK toggles myself before forming an opinion on them, instead of just jumping to conclusions.

It has just occured to me after reading the posts on this subject over the last 2 days that if "jumping to conclusions" were an Olympic event, rennteam could put up a pretty good team for Beijing!

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    My main concern is that PDK is aimed at the Tip clients.... S

Hummm..., good point. I wonder who they might be?

(kidding) But hard to explain this Ad photo:

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    And yes, I HATE multifunction steering wheels...

Just for fun:

Here's one that's more educational:

BTW, switch 10 looks like a good one.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Here's one that's more educational:

BTW, switch 10 looks like a good one.

Switch 20 would appear to explain the J D Power survey results that Dr Phil posted today!

LOL good one MMD

Time to say... that doesn't count?

OK, OK, if the steering wheel can turn at max only once than the switches are OK. Is this better?

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    LOL good one MMD

Time to say... that doesn't count?

OK, OK, if the steering wheel can turn at max only once than the switches are OK. Is this better?

HeHe.., I guess going 190+mph is a good reason too. Probably also why there're no cup holders in F1 cars.

I kinda agree with you though for P-cars. OTOH, I use my MF on my Bimmer a lot because it's a more "relaxed" drive mostly (which is kinda contradictory when you think about it).

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    Quote:
    Recall how many of us in the 1980s used to rotate the 911's speedometer counter-clockwise so we could see the upper scale better but still the smaller gauges on the wider spaced instrument cluster were never really fully readable without moving your head left /right/up/down.

Never did this with the speedometer. But, yeah, everyone pried the tach out (the separate, big gauge in the middle of the array) and spun it about 120 degrees counterclockwise so that the redline was at the 12 o'clock position.

Of course I did that ,too . But spinning the speedo was mandatory unless you never exceeded 100 mph ( uh..on the track of course ).

Another pic from the inside

wheel looks terrible in that last pic.

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    wheel looks terrible in that last pic.

When I first saw the wheel on Friday I hated it. Now after only 3 days it looks better and better. Having said that, I hope it can be optioned differently e.g. all black or all leather. Does anyone know the exclusive options for the st. wheel?

funny enough I seem to like the wheel

HeHe..., I just realized something. All that b*tch*ing I and others here did about the Volcano Grey trim and the "excessive buttonage" (too many black buttons on a puddle of grey) might have gotten thru to Porsche. LOL.

I'm sorry what am I looking at here, the new 997 w/ PDK?

Dont tell me they left the buttons on the steering wheel

That's hysterical. Cant be.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I'm sorry what am I looking at here, the new 997 w/ PDK?

Dont tell me they left the buttons on the steering wheel

That's hysterical. Cant be.

Can't believe it either.
    Obviously they expect PDK users to drive the car on "D" all the time, like on the old tip...

How do they expect us to change gear when the wheel is turned over 180deg?

Good thing I don't plan to buy a 911 anytime soon, that would be a deal breaker.

guys I love the steering wheel and pdk's button, cant imagine I am the only one who likes it....

Now, what the heck is that telephone doing there????, I thought the sim card slot was there to replace the historic piece of block, I mean telephone

seriously, I love the steering wheel and the pdk buttons ....Also I just noticed the flat shape the steering wheel has at the bottom, just like the Audi R8 etc..., the pdk gear shift also looks like the R-tronic for the R8, how interesting !!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761645 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434942 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260268 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257384 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871750 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807087 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM