Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Old fashioned Paddles? Who needs them

i too think that fixed paddles have many problems when cornering etc. furthermore, dsg is not as shift intensive as f1...it's a far superior transmission.

Re: 997 facelift more info

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    PinKchampagnE said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Notice that the gear lever has a conventional forward + upshift and backwards - downshift, which makes more sense to me, but contrary to what BMW and other sequentials do. We need to see a photo of the steering wheel - tip buttons, or paddles or whatever.

You can see it in this picture :

No paddles.

BTW: They seem to have replaced Volcano Grey parts by Silver painted parts, thus avoiding different shades of silver in the interior. Well done

The steering wheel spokes look like volcano grey, don't they?

Quote:
    Enzo911 said:

+- like Tiptronic????!!!

When you change down (-) you don't press the lower part of the button as is the case of tip, but you press the upper part from behind. Same switching mode different ergonomics.

i disagree with that cause when the new wheel is turned on top it will be confusing as well even with the new solution. thats in general what the lever in the center console is for...
    worked perfectly fine with the BMW SMG...
    its always the same with the buttons, especially on the track when hitting curbs etc u either hit the by accident or u dont know if u hit them cause its only a small button. with a paddle u know when u pull, klick or hit it...
    from my point of view a way better solution...

My 997 S Cab 6 man. has 30 HP more an the same acceleration 4,9

Quote:

When you change down (-) you don't press the lower part of the button as is the case of tip, but you press the upper part from behind. Same switching mode different ergonomics.

Exactly! Which is a very comfortable solution IMO...

Quote:
    rantanplan said:
    i disagree with that cause when the new wheel is turned on top it will be confusing as well even with the new solution. thats in general what the lever in the center console is for...
    worked perfectly fine with the BMW SMG...
    its always the same with the buttons, especially on the track when hitting curbs etc u either hit the by accident or u dont know if u hit them cause its only a small button. with a paddle u know when u pull, klick or hit it...
    from my point of view a way better solution...

Don't you see any practical benefit from doing both + and - with both buttons, i.e. regardless of which one of the two buttons is handy at the time needed? This is not possible with paddles with dedicated + or - functions.

Quote:
    Atlas997 said:
    in terms of performance and technology gains, the PDK is no doubt an immense improvement, but the "user interface" is a bit a of a let down.

Should have had paddles rather than steering wheel buttons - and the PDK stick should have followed the well regarded SMG approach,

As for the facellift looks (front/rear bumbers) I think the front bumbers now basically look same as the Boxster, and the rear light cluster looks cheesy and fugly (and no it will not grow on me - when the 996 replaced the 993, the resdesigned look never grew on me then and still hasnt after ten years - I still much prefer the 993 looks, and the subsequent 997 look)

Overall, tremendous laudable improvements in performance and functionality options (such as IPOD/Bluetooth etc), but looks-wise (and PDK interface) are letdowns.

For me, now that I know all the facts on the facelift model, I am fully satisfied to keep my manual transmission '08 C2S - the next time i will consider changes is when the next generation 911 comes out in four or so years.

I think the 997S Mk 1 has now achieved "classic" status.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    PinKchampagnE said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Notice that the gear lever has a conventional forward + upshift and backwards - downshift, which makes more sense to me, but contrary to what BMW and other sequentials do. We need to see a photo of the steering wheel - tip buttons, or paddles or whatever.

No paddles.

BTW: They seem to have replaced Volcano Grey parts by Silver painted parts, thus avoiding different shades of silver in the interior. Well done

The steering wheel spokes look like volcano grey, don't they?

You are right

Quote:
    rantanplan said:

Why? The buttons always shift up if pressed and shift down if pulled...

Cant help notice the similarities of the re-designed 997 front bumper with that of the Boxster - it almost looks like Porsche is running out of ideas ?

here is the Boxster front end:

and here is the new 997 front end :

For me this is perfect. I plan on getting the FL 911.
    I preferred the boxster front end to the previous 911. I'm happy!

Quote:
    leveraged said:
    For me this is perfect. I plan on getting the FL 911.
    I preferred the boxster front end to the previous 911. I'm happy!

Yes, the 997.1 front was the worst looking Porsche front for years. I didn't mind the rear, but now it is even better.

Thank God for Stick Shift!

Thankfully I don;t think even Porsche could f*ck that up. The PDK system is a counter-intuitive piece of design from an ergonomic perspective and the steering wheel is butt ugly.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    rantanplan said:

So Porsche has the BEST solution in spirited driving compared to everyone else's "left paddle for downshift /right paddle for upshift" set up , whether fixed to steering column or fixed to steering wheel.
    With PDK, either hand can shift up or down, whether wheel is right side up or upside down as you steer, even passing wheel hand over hand in tight corners .

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    rantanplan said:

So Porsche has the BEST solution in spirited driving compared to everyone else's "left paddle for downshift /right paddle for upshift" set up , whether fixed to steering column or fixed to steering wheel.
    With PDK, either hand can shift up or down, whether wheel is right side up or upside down as you steer, even passing wheel hand over hand in tight corners .

Excactly. Sounds like an ideal concept. Look forward to testing it

More of the same..decent pic of the console.
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search...content-block=0

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    rantanplan said:

+1
    and you can shift with the stick, if the situation warrants it, which is something you cannot do in many automated manual systems

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    rantanplan said:

+1
    and you can shift with the stick, if the situation warrants it, which is something you cannot do in many automated manual systems

Sounds like a pretty good system.

is the final result truly worth the many hours spent viewing the 100 plus pages of the facelift thread? Indeed is it worth the extra cash required to get into the new model? i think not, sticking with my low milage 997 s. surley next generation is going to see a real change!

Quote:
    Nidge said:
    is the final result truly worth the many hours spent viewing the 100 plus pages of the facelift thread? Indeed is it worth the extra cash required to get into the new model? i think not, sticking with my low milage 997 s. surley next generation is going to see a real change!

and that's a good thing. imagine getting a broken heart each time you'd see a facelift.

merc introduced 2 facelifts on the sl within 3 years. a good friend of mine had just gotten an sl55 and was confronted with the facelift a year later. he jumped on the wagon and ordered the facelifted sl55 only to have another one announced a year later...what a drag.

well, he did not decide for the second facelift (actually complete restyling)....he ordered a 599.....and got rid of his sl.

Quote:
    Should have had paddles rather than steering wheel buttons

Those ARE paddles. They are rocker-switches that stick up above the wheel spoke. Look carefully. You push the top of the button ("+") to Upshift. You can PULL the top of the button from behind with your fingers to Downshift (or a less manly person can just push the minus sign at the bottom of the button). They are rocker-switches. With the ability to pull them from behind, they are paddles. Quite intuitive, in fact.

After an hour with the car, it will become inate.

Don't agree that BMW got it right. They got it reversed. Intuitively,to go faster, you pull the stick toward you....just like you would when you want to suddenly, aggressively downshift to second if passing a car on a two-lane, country road.

I also like the fact that they apparently (according to the closeup of the PDK gearstick plus and minus signs) have restored the ability to shift the gears in manual mode with the stick, something they took away beginning with the 996's Tiptronic.

Yeah right - BMW got it reversed - so are the countless race cars with sequential shift

But you got it it right, downshift is always down to the 2nd, which is towards you, as you always drive and pass car on a two-lane country road...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:

Excactly. Sounds like an ideal concept. Look forward to testing it

This PDK solution reminds me of Michael Schumacher Ferrari when Auto Trannies were banned. No body saw his left hand down-shift. They found out he can do it with the right pedal too by push-clicking it as opposed to pull-clicking for up-shift.

One thing: can the +/- be reversed on the right button??

===============

BTW, thank you all guys for closing the face-lift threed after 100 pages of excitements and excellent contribution. Inshalla, We will post our basalt black/black C2S in Oct 08.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

I have to disagree, the conventional and logical way of arranging it (at least in racing) is forward - downshift and back - upshift. BMW are the ones who got it right

So in the 911 you have to shift using buttons on the front of the steeringwheel, unlike what EVERYONE else has (paddles behind the wheel) or use the stick which has the reverse upshift - downshift

Looks like Porsche, having committed to the push=up / pull=down mode on the rocker buttons, was forced to use the exact same up/downshift sense on the stick control to avoid a completely nonsensical disconnect; this left them opposite to BMW and others.

I'm open to people trying new user interfaces, but my gut tells me that Ferrari likely got it right ten years ago with their F1 paddle layout, and by trying to be "not Ferrari", others run the risk of less usable sequential shifters.

Hmmm, maybe thats it - Porsche is trying to punish Ferrari owners who buy the 997.1 PDK.... they would immediately start flicking away from the back of the right button to upshift... which with this PDK only triggers downshifts and frustration...

Not to mention from the steel wheel as porsche have it now - you literally push DOWN to up-shift and pull-UP to down-shift...hmmm, very confusing.

Porsche misses the boat

Standardization comes to every market and it seems that Porsche is trying to be different for the sake of being different. That sadly smacks of arrogance. What Porsche should have spent their time on was refining the hidden parts of the shift system - smoother, faster shifts, better maps, better integration into all the driving systems, not creating superfluously complicated interfaces that defeat at least one of the purposes of this type of shift system.

PDK was bound to be compromised when Porsche decided to make it a substitute for the Tiptronic. I has presumed, erroneously, that PDK would be a third transmission choice priced higher than the Tip, as an enthusiast alternative similar to the Ferrari F1. Once PDK became the new Tiptronic, design compromises were inevitable since the intended audience is far more diverse. Frankly the styling changes are minimal and certainly would not justify the potentially formidible financial losses to move from mk I to mk II.

Porsche has never followed trends. The key is on the left side...
    I actually think that the SMG sequential directions are counter-intuitive. So what if the 11 PDK uses a different convention? Are you going to be confused?

The steering wheel shifters are another convention. these are not tip buttons. These are paddles that you push to upshift or pull (push from the back) to downshift. And again it is just a learning acquired process, like anything. Again PAG does not follow trends, mostly sets their own, and I actually like that.

Notice that the steering wheel seems to have a flat portion at the bottom?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776907 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441599 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262721 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260869 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85142 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5529 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880585 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM