Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 facelift more info

The engineers at Porsche AG are seizing upon the imminent introduction of the mid-life 997 911 Carrera and Carrera S coupe and cabriolet to evolve the company technology portfolio - and in big fashion. Beneath the always tentative minor tweaks to the exterior look of this sports car icon, the boffins have brought direct injection to the two Porsche 911 motors. Not only this, but they've updated and finally implemented their Porsche Doppel Kupplung twin-clutch transmission for major series production.

That Porsche introduced its direct injection first in the new 4.8-liter V8 of the Cayenne is no major surprise since doing so on a fairly traditional configuration was easier than for the oddball flat-sixes. But both the 3.6- and 3.8-liter are done at last and stratified direct injection once again results in more power and torque, greater fuel efficiency, and lower CO2 spewage. In this case as well, there are fewer individual components on the completely overhauled engines and the coinciding development of the PDK seven-speed transmission is bringing out the very best in either six-cylinder.

Regarding the direct injection itself, it is not a revolutionary spanking new approach, but applying it to a flat engine in a very confining engine bay is rather revolutionary. The injector for each cylinder sits in between the two intake valves and spurts fuel into the combustion chamber at up to 120 bar pressure depending on throttle load and current rev count. Below 3500 rpm and/or when the engine is cold, to avoid fuel losses, when the throttle is at or near the floor the injectors are ordered into tiny multi-spurt mode during only the intake stroke until things heat up sufficiently to guarantee a complete burn of a fuller spurt. Combustion in this case happens very late to help build heat quickly. Through all of this, the new shape of the piston crowns feeds the fuel swirled directly into the chamber directly toward the optimal points near the spark plugs. There is a slightly different idle sound happening now, as is to be expected with a new efficient burn.

Both engines in this development process have taken on modified dimensions to the combustion cylinder, ending up with 3614cc for the 3.6 (was 3596cc) and 3800cc for the 3.8 (was 3824cc). Bore and stroke measurements for the 3.6-liter motor have changed from the former 96 x 82.8mm to 97 x 81.5mm, while the 3.8-liter goes from 99 x 82.8mm to a very altered 102 x 77.5mm. What these modifications reflect chiefly is the desire for a faster revving experience, and redline moves up to 7500 rpm on both powerplants from the former 7300-rpm ceiling.

Besides the new combustion chamber dimensions, there is an updated crankshaft, a new set of oil and water pumps, and the entire intake area has naturally been redesigned as no more pre-mixing of air and fuel needs to happen in the "waiting room" outside the chambers. The fresh crankshaft is used mainly due to the newly engineered crankcase. In the previous port-injected engines, the crankcase was a four-piece unit and the crankshaft mounted in a separate bearing housing. Now, we get a two-piece crankcase with fully integrated crankshaft bearings.

Meantime back at the sparking end of the cylinders, we now have one-piece cylinder heads with integrated camshaft bearings plus new guide cylinders for the hydraulic cup tappets. This scheme strips away some weight while adding mechanical stability, as lower operating friction was a priority. As well, new profiles for the intake and exhaust camshafts help enhance engine responsiveness and overall economy while keeping things smooth at the highest engine speeds. The formerly necessary intermediate shaft to help drive the timing chains and assist reduction of the loads on the camshaft drive has been eliminated, since there are new highly resistant timing chains now used to handle the stresses imposed upon them.

Diameter on the shift tappets has now been reduced from 33 millimeters to 31 mm and tappet size on the exhaust valves comes down also, from 33 mm to just 28 mm. This is key in lowering mass inertia as well as facilitating the new higher revs required of the whole machine. In an ingenious touch, an additional coolant element has been designed into the very seat ring of the outlet valves to help markedly in keeping the cylinder heads cooler.

The thermal and mechanical stability of the new motors has been upgraded by switching from a former "open-deck" interface for the cylinder liners and their gaskets. The new closed-deck scheme ensures the cylinder liners are no longer freely exposed around the cylinder head gaskets, now opting to actually connect them with the housing via a top plate which also comprises the coolant sleeves. This ensures, again, greater stability in the cylinder shape and design, while promising less oil consumption, and the always desirable lower mechanical friction.

Thermal efficiency, air flow, and 20 percent improved coolant management are now so good on either flat-six that the traditional center pancake radiator up front has also been eliminated. In this less-friction-with-fewer-components design both engines can also boast an overall weight that is 13.2 pounds less than the engines they replace.

Beneath the working part of each engine, a new baffle plate separates the crank case and sump to thereby reduce splash losses and oil foaming. The dry-sump management has been updated as well with two suction pumps per cylinder head sending the oil back to the sump. A new fifth electronically operated on-demand compressed oil pump is driven off of the new crankshaft via a chain, and this constantly changes the amounts of oil that get sent downstream as needed by the use of a hydraulically operated gear that moves in an axial direction, changing the amount of mesh depending on the amount of oil needed. One more physical nuance is the main coolant pump now sitting outside of the crankcase to facilitate access to it for repair or upgrading.

The port-injected engines (which will continue being built for the rest of the 911 lineup that still needs them) have for a long time used a single chamber air filter system with an integrated intake funnel. For the new DI units, the air filter system now takes on a double-chamber design with two intake openings and separate intake funnels on the car's rear engine lid. The old flat pancake filter now alters to two round air filters with a longer service life.

The 3.8-liter flat-six does still get special treatment with its actively switchable resonance volume function in the upper section of the filter housing which causes greater air flow and better engine sound when engine speeds and heat are high. The new manifold now has more resonance chambers, while the resonance pipe and distributor pipe are now integrated as one component between the right and left distributors. A good reason for this freshened design is additional torque at lower engine speeds. Between 2600 and 5100 rpm, the resonance butterfly on the 3.8-liter remains closed to not anger the villagers, but beyond 5100 rpm the sound booms in a new note that shows that Porsche has finally paid some mind to our constant laments regarding the asthmatic 911 rasp.

Power ratings tell no lies either. The 3.6-liter flat-six without all of these modifications rates SAE 321hp at 6800 rpm, while the new DI version reads 341hp at 6500 rpm. The bigger 3.8 goes from 350hp at 6600 rpm to now putting out 380hp at 6500 rpm. Torque measurements meanwhile improve as well, the 3.6 upping from 273lb-ft at 4250 rpm to 287lb-ft at 4400 rpm, while the 3.8 moves up from 295lb-ft at 4600 rpm to 310lb-ft at 4400 rpm. At its quickest, according to company estimates, the 911 Carrera S with the seven-speed PDK box and Sports Chrono Plus option can accelerate to 62mph now in just 4.3 seconds. The base Carrera with manual Getrag six even gets there now in just 4.9 seconds - not bad for the slowest member of the hardtop family.

And, all the while, of course fuel mileage improves and CO2 emissions drop. For the 3.6-liter in the Carrera, fuel consumption on the cabriolet body with PDK (versus the outgoing Daimler five-speed Tiptronic S) drops by up to 13.2 percent, carbon dioxide levels dropping likewise by 14.7 percent. For the 3.8 in the Carrera S, the coupe with PDK lowers consumption by up to 12.8 percent, CO2 emissions dropping in similar fashion to the 3.6.

Re: 997 facelift more info

7,500rpm

And the pictures?!?!

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    And the pictures?!?!

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=438469&an=0&page=0#438469

"Between 2600 and 5100 rpm, the resonance butterfly on the 3.8-liter remains closed to not anger the villagers, but beyond 5100 rpm the sound booms in a new note that shows that Porsche has finally paid some mind to our constant laments regarding the asthmatic 911 rasp."

Note to self, make sure to get mod to keep butterfly "always open".

It sounds impressive. Let's hope the new engines are reliable as the wider bore "...the 3.8-liter goes from 99 x 82.8mm to a very altered 102 x 77.5mm" may make for thinner cylinder walls. The good news is that the engine architecture has been simplified - 2-piece crankcase, no intermediate shaft, lower mass valves. We shall wait and see.

In blue it looks absolutely spectacular!!!!

Notice that the gear lever has a conventional forward + upshift and backwards - downshift, which makes more sense to me, but contrary to what BMW and other sequentials do. We need to see a photo of the steering wheel - tip buttons, or paddles or whatever.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Notice that the gear lever has a conventional forward + upshift and backwards - downshift, which makes more sense to me, but contrary to what BMW and other sequentials do. We need to see a photo of the steering wheel - tip buttons, or paddles or whatever.

Agree

Quote:
    ADias said:

You can see it in this picture :

No paddles.

Quote:
    ADias said:

I have to disagree, the conventional and logical way of arranging it (at least in racing) is forward - downshift and back - upshift. BMW are the ones who got it right

So in the 911 you have to shift using buttons on the front of the steeringwheel, unlike what EVERYONE else has (paddles behind the wheel) or use the stick which has the reverse upshift - downshift

more pictures at http://news.windingroad.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=44812

Quote:
    PinKchampagnE said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

No paddles.

why are these guys at Porsche so stubborn, these so called buttons on the steering are complete rubbish. Is it becos they are not involved in F1 racing ? They don't want to look like copycats but pacesetters...yeah right. Same thing with the stupid wart on the dash, I begged them not to include it on my order but they kept on telling me that it's the babychild of the Head of design and he has no intentions of removing it not now not ever

I think we don't have this picture yet...

Quote:
    PinKchampagnE said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

No paddles.

Those buttons are STUPID, just like the WART.

in terms of performance and technology gains, the PDK is no doubt an immense improvement, but the "user interface" is a bit a of a let down.

Should have had paddles rather than steering wheel buttons - and the PDK stick should have followed the well regarded SMG approach,

As for the facellift looks (front/rear bumbers) I think the front bumbers now basically look same as the Boxster, and the rear light cluster looks cheesy and fugly (and no it will not grow on me - when the 996 replaced the 993, the resdesigned look never grew on me then and still hasnt after ten years - I still much prefer the 993 looks, and the subsequent 997 look)

Overall, tremendous laudable improvements in performance and functionality options (such as IPOD/Bluetooth etc), but looks-wise (and PDK interface) are letdowns.

For me, now that I know all the facts on the facelift model, I am fully satisfied to keep my manual transmission '08 C2S - the next time i will consider changes is when the next generation 911 comes out in four or so years.

I think they've probably chosen forward for "+" and back for "-" as it's the same way round as the tiptronic in manual mode which PDK is replacing.

Martin

i totally agree with u temm. I CANNOT understand why a sportcar manufacturer who is represented as strongly and succesfully as porsche would choose to design upward and downward shifts opposite from the way its done and proven itself in motorsport.
    I admired BMW when they changed their seq AND tiptronic boxes to the "right" way...
    they should have at least left the customer the choice to choose in my point of view...like in the radical car, where u can choose whichever way fits better for you...

Quote:
    rantanplan said:
    i totally agree with u temm. I CANNOT understand why a sportcar manufacturer who is represented as strongly and succesfully as porsche would choose to design upward and downward shifts opposite from the way its done and proven itself in motorsport.
    I admired BMW when they changed their seq AND tiptronic boxes to the "right" way...
    they should have at least left the customer the choice to choose in my point of view...like in the radical car, where u can choose whichever way fits better for you...

I can tell you that it's one of the stubborn idiots sitting on the board that's making this ridiculous decision. Now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Something is telling me to get my deposit back and go for the California, but when I called F-cars yesterday I was told that there is a 2yr waiting period for the Cali

Is there a way one could voice out an opinion to these jerks and make them realise we don't want Dr Spooks ears on our s/wheels.At least they always say the customer is right

Such a disappointment, if BMW can do it the right way, why does P take the VW route (...)?
    Aside from the ugly steering wheel of course, which I hope might be available with a "black lacquer" option onto black leather.
    P does persist in "challenging" our notions of beauty and elegance, time and time again. The Panamera should continue this trend.

Old fashioned Paddles? Who needs them

Different approach by Porsche:
    "The steering wheel in its sporting three-spoke design features two ergonomically arranged gear -
    shift paddles operated by pressing either forwards or backwards and thus allowing precise
    and intuitive use in all positions of the steering wheel. Pressing the paddles from the front,
    the driver shifts up, pressing the paddles from behind the steering wheel, he shifts down to
    a lower gear. In either case it is irrelevant whether the driver uses the right or left paddle."

Re: Old fashioned Paddles? Who needs them

I would like to see how looks the front leds running lights.......

ok...thanks Tim

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=449161&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Quote:
    Italo said:
    Is there a way one could voice out an opinion to these jerks and make them realise we don't want Dr Spooks ears on our s/wheels.At least they always say the customer is right

There sure is- Boycott the option. If nobody is buying it and they are left sitting on the shelf, maybe they'll get the message!!!

Whats a 0.2sec acceleration advantage if you can't stand the damn thing and it detracts from your driving experience due to its silly design...

Quote:
    reginos said:
    "The steering wheel in its sporting three-spoke design features two ergonomically arranged gear -
    shift paddles operated by pressing either forwards or backwards and thus allowing precise
    and intuitive use in all positions of the steering wheel. Pressing the paddles from the front,
    the driver shifts up, pressing the paddles from behind the steering wheel, he shifts down to
    a lower gear. In either case it is irrelevant whether the driver uses the right or left paddle."

I told you guys, a cheap way of reusing the tip buttons. Both button do the same thing up and down...jokers

Quote:
    Italo said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

I told you guys, a cheap way of reusing the tip buttons. Both button do the same thing up and down...jokers

Agreed. It is pants. I do hope this isn't how it will be on the GT3.

Would it be possible to fit the pré-FL mirrors on the facelift? I hate the obese look of it (not Porsche's fault, I know)

The rest of the car is growing on me though, I'm not so sure of the new Carrera S-wheels, I certainly don't like the way PDK is programmed, but then again that's just another good reason to stick with a stick...

Looking forward to seeing it IRL, and very curious to see how the 4(S)-models will turn out in a couple of months...

I also hoped the 2WD-models would have recieved the widebody too, but I'm afraid that was just wishful thinking...

Quote:
    PinKchampagnE said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

No paddles.

BTW: They seem to have replaced Volcano Grey parts by Silver painted parts, thus avoiding different shades of silver in the interior. Well done

Quote:
    reginos said:

Why are you guys so sceptical about the new buttons?

To date there are two paddle concepts available: fixed paddles (like Ferrari, Lamborghini) and moving paddles (like BMW etc.). While the fixed paddles might be a bit difficult to operate in certain extreme driving situations the moving paddles have a major disadvantage: the up/down button is hard to identify if the steering wheel is in turned position. The new Porsche concept avoids this problem

+- like Tiptronic????!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779374 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442277 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5820 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817636 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM