Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Video of GT-R's 7:29 lap of 'Ring

Have returned from vacation and have uploaded my recording of Nissan's video of the GT-R's 7:29 lap of the 'Ring. Sorry for the glare and sounds of all the activity taking place at Estoril while I was recording this, so it's hard to hear the sounds from the video. Nissan will put the official video out shortly anyway. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLdaLV66XOc

Re: Video of GT-R's 7:29 lap of 'Ring

This much must be said...Suzuki is one heck of a driver at the Ring! We have heard about HvS, WR etc being Ring legend, but this video and the previous 7:38 video plus his effort in the 965 clearly puts him in the Ring legend status!!!

Awesome!
    The GT-R seems very composed, especially around the highly technical second half of the Nordschleife after the Carrousel.

Some of the lines he took were "outrageous" but the car was so composed! Adenau Forst for instance. He didn't take the wide line before hitting the second apex, he just followed the inside kerb and looked to be flying at the same time.

Impressive.

Well, that's official then. Unless of course the video was altered in some way... (Joke, kidding and it wasn't an invite for the conspiracy theorists)

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Some of the lines he took were "outrageous" but the car was so composed! Adenau Forst for instance. He didn't take the wide line before hitting the second apex, he just followed the inside kerb and looked to be flying at the same time.

Impressive.

Well, that's official then. Unless of course the video was altered in some way... (Joke, kidding and it wasn't an invite for the conspiracy theorists)

The key question is whether the car in the Nissan press video has something in common with those GTRs that will be sold to customers

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Impressive.

The key question is whether the car in the Nissan press video has something in common with those GTRs that will be sold to customers

I think the proper question would be whether it has ANYTHING in common with the production cars . I just don't buy that time. Be it Porsche, Ferrari or anyone else, 7:29 is too fast for such a heavy pig. Unless, of course, the track has been resurfaced .

Yes, on some sectors. BTW, Stippler did 7.53min with normal R8. I saw test data personally(interesting enough its Doettinger Hoehe top speed was almost 270km/h, unlike 254km/h achived by HvS in R8).
    Stippler was also as fast in R8 V10 as HvS was in Scud.

Horst in GT-R? Next spring... Not faster then 7.40min...

Quote:
    schao said:
    Have returned from vacation and have uploaded my recording of Nissan's video of the GT-R's 7:29 lap of the 'Ring. Sorry for the glare and sounds of all the activity taking place at Estoril while I was recording this, so it's hard to hear the sounds from the video. Nissan will put the official video out shortly anyway. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLdaLV66XOc

And here is a video of a E46 M3 CSL doing 7:22!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7T9BD_Q3k

I wonder if "loaded" is the same as "Japanese base spec".

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Yes, on some sectors. BTW, Stippler did 7.53min with normal R8. I saw test data personally(interesting enough its Doettinger Hoehe top speed was almost 270km/h, unlike 254km/h achived by HvS in R8).

Has it occurred to SportAuto that as good as HvS is there are many drivers better in driving the Ring? Age catches up with us all and HvS is no different. To assume that HvS will produce the best time at the Ring in no longer a valid assumption. His time will not be indicative of what the car is capable of.

Please understand that I am not knocking HvS but stating the ugly truth. Time marches on for all of us.

BTW in the video you can get a good idea as to why paddles are the future.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Has it occurred to SportAuto that as good as HvS is there are many drivers better in driving the Ring? Age catches up with us all and HvS is no different. To assume that HvS will produce the best time at the Ring in no longer a valid assumption. His time will not be indicative of what the car is capable of.

Please understand that I am not knocking HvS but stating the ugly truth. Time marches on for all of us.

ya but if you're gonna knock certain cars based on Ring times, then at least keep the drivers (the most important variable) constant.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

I will not support your agenda against poor old HvS. You are on your own here...

Just let me give you one simple question: GT-R or California? Please, no sleazy talk about how advanced Godzilla is... Or how good is it looking(it looks like POS IMO)...
    Just simple answer-what will be your choice?

Me? There are only two cars that I really like(both design and technical wise): Audi R8 and Ferrari California.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

I will not support your agenda against poor old HvS. You are on your own here...

Just let me give you one simple question: GT-R or California? Please, no sleazy talk about how advanced Godzilla is... Or how good is it looking(it looks like POS IMO)...
    Just simple answer-what will be your choice?

Me? There are only two cars that I really like(both design and technical wise): Audi R8 and Ferrari California.

If my interest was solely performance, no contest the GT-R. If my interest was performance, looks, sound, marque, and heritage, the California GT.

I would buy the GT-R solely for track work (I tried and the salesperson never returned my email or call).

If there were only two cars in the world to buy either a GT-R or California GT, I would buy the California GT.

Quote:
    nberry said:

You are stating ignorant BS. Sorry - but it is hard to read that sh*t again and again. If you don't know the facts don't write about them.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, just how many times do you have to be explained the same thing over and over and over again, seriously, do you just don't get it or are you doing it on purpose, because if its the latter say so other members don't waste their time:

For the sake of being able to use ring times as a benchmark for comparison between different sportcars, the driver needs not to be the fastest driver in the world achieving the fastest posible out of the ordinary one time lap time in the universe (i.e. factory drivers on factory runs), the point is to have a very fast driver who is CONSISTENT across cars because he has many years of experience with many different cars in the ring, many years of experience in lapping the ring, and is independant and uses customer-spec cars.

The absolute value of the lap time is irrelevant, it says nothing, the important thing is the relative value to other sportcars so that you have a comparison. When you understand this you will agree with the rest of the world that HvS is the best comparison reference in ring lap times available.

Im starting to think people will never believe the lap time this GTR performed on that day. I think even if we were sitting next to the driver with our own stop watch right next to Toshio Suzuki, we would probably say "Nope I don't believe you just did that, and when I don't believe that it happened then it probably didn't happen."

That was an unbelievable time and I also truly believe porsche will be back with a car to match this soon enough. But, soon enough will most likely be 2 to 3 years time. Oh, I guess the V SPEC will be here by then. DAMN YOU NISSAN FOR MESSING UP THE ORDER OF THE CAR UNIVERSE

Its been said over and over that nobody is dennying that "a" Nissan GT-R clocked 7:29 on the ring, what people who have read and compared ring lap times over the years doubt is that that specific GT-R was in full customer-spec form since we all know what specifications a customer-spec GT-R has. But nobody (believers and non-believers) except Nissan know under what conditions was that GT-R that did the 7:29 in.
    When HvS tests it we will get a better picture, until then, beliving in factory claims, espècially if they are a little outrageous and forma company that has lied in ring times before) is a little naive IMO.

Quote:
    Jean said:
    Awesome!
    The GT-R seems very composed, especially around the highly technical second half of the Nordschleife after the Carrousel.

Awesome is exactly the right word.

But who would buy one and risk being branded a person of poor taste by European car owners?

My guess is that by this time next year the GTR will be held in much higher regard by almost everyone. That kind of performance (as verified by all the independent tests) is hard to discount for too long.

Quote:
    AUM said:

But who would buy one and risk being branded a person of poor taste by European car owners?

My guess is that by this time next year the GTR will be held in much higher regard by almost everyone. That kind of performance (as verified by all the independent tests) is hard to discount for too long.

IF this amazing Ring time is verified by Sport Auto.

BUT, what if they are NOT verified by Sport Auto? Or AMS, AZ, AB Sportscars edition or Italian magazines like Quattroroute(maybe even driven by Alain Prost)?

What then?

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/97613-gt-r-vs-audi-rs4-real-world-experience.html

But an RS4 is more stable under hard braking on dirty backroads.....

GT-R vs Audi RS4 real world experience

Did a drive to Narusawa Golf Club yesterday in Fuji with my mate in his 07 RS4.

We did a few little tests like acceleration through the gears, off the line, handling etc. I've noticed that the GT-R really pitches a lot on unsmooth highway bends. This is to do with the suspension tuning. Even in R mode it still pitched around a lot and felt a little unstable. I think Eibach progressive springs would probably solve this problem. My mate said he could see the car was bobbing around a fair bit, did not look "hunkered down". So, need better springs.

No problems with acceleration whatsoever, he was completely blown away and very depressed.

Heavy braking into a very slow slightly dirty corner caused all sorts of problems. Car started sliding and I had all manner of lights flashing at me. This is not completely a problem with the GT-R, more likely the dirty surface BUT the runflats are not too good when they're really hot and I had been cooking them. Also the brakes did not seem to be able to cope with the sheer weight of the car. I'm more and more convinced after this and the track session at Fuji that I need to put Pagid Yellows on the car. I'd also like some decent R rubber on the car but that's not going to happen unless I change the wheels so will not happen. Will change the pads and see where that takes me. I did manage to correct the car but my passenger said he'd have lost it into the barrier and was not sure how I managed to keep it under control. I'm also hoping the spring upgrade will help with the braking too.

This leads me to the crashed R35s that we've been seeing. This is a super heavy, stupidly fast car with a lot of electronics. What it can do is make an average driver do some pretty spectacular stuff. What is CANNOT do is teach an average driver how to defy the laws of physics. I can now fully understand how people have crashed the car under braking on public roads. It's just too much car to be driven all out. The back really wanted to be in front when I stomped on the brakes. On the circuit though I had no such problems because it was so the surface is so smooth and so clean.

My mate had no such problems in his RS4. Car was very stable under braking.

This car should be treated with loads of respect. Don't get in it and think you can be a racing driver because of all the electronics. Most of the reviews have taken place on closed circuits in controlled environments. On the public road though this can be a very different beast. It's heavy, long and powerful. Taming it under braking will require some very good driving.

So, beware. Quite a few have been smashed up now and I think all of them were under braking if you look at the pictures. I have not seen any side on impacts yet.

Two points...

1. The GTR did a "flying" lap, and I've been told that Porsche (nad GM) use a "standing start".

2. The GTR did not start and stop timing at the same point, and I've been told that Porsche does.

If either or both of these are true, then the time is higher than 7:29.

AFAIK HvS does flying laps and also start and stop in those same two points.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

True.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

IF this amazing Ring time is verified by Sport Auto.

BUT, what if they are NOT verified by Sport Auto? Or AMS, AZ, AB Sportscars edition or Italian magazines like Quattroroute(maybe even driven by Alain Prost)?

What then?

7.40 from HvS would be fast enough to put the GTR at the top of its class (until the new CSL comes out).

7.40 would blow away the 997TT with the same hp. Well done Nissan. But going as far as buying one, you have to go over the styling...

Wow. Wow. Wow. That was seriously quick. And Suzuki's driving was incredible! Epic.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Its been said over and over that nobody is dennying that "a" Nissan GT-R clocked 7:29 on the ring, what people who have read and compared ring lap times over the years doubt is that that specific GT-R was in full customer-spec form since we all know what specifications a customer-spec GT-R has. But nobody (believers and non-believers) except Nissan know under what conditions was that GT-R that did the 7:29 in.
    When HvS tests it we will get a better picture, until then, beliving in factory claims, espècially if they are a little outrageous and forma company that has lied in ring times before) is a little naive IMO.

Dear Carlos,

You are basically saying that you cannot believe the words of GT-R developer that he insisted on using the 'customer spec' car in achieving 7:29, right? If so, the argument is still the same as to whether we should believe the Nissan's claim as opposed to Porsches. Porsche made claims and HvS did not deliver in certain cases. Knocking off Nissan's claim just because it comes from Nissan while believing everything Porsche claims is unfair, I think.

Carlos, you are totally missing the point. The issue is NOT having one constant in determining a sport cars performance but rather what is the capability of that car.

By your own admission and others, HvS CANNOT with his abilities extract the best out of a car. So when he does the Ring in 7.40 or whatever it is not indicative of what the car can do. WR in Porsche's and Steve Mullen in Corvette's can and do get the most out of their respective cars.

So when the times are posted by HvS in SportAuto all they are is what he can do in each car and clearly based on test results no where near what the car is capable of.

Do you see my point now?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Do you see my point now?

And do you see the point of a test where the only variable is the car itself?

But again, the true point is, the astonishing time if it is truly a stock car, absolutely destroying the times of way more powerful, lighter, more focused cars. But I don't think that is the case, Occam's Razor would lead one to believe it's not a stock car. It's not a Porsche argument and it is not a HvS argument. Purely that Nissan is might be playing games.

And by the amount of air time we seem to be spending on discussing this car, the buzz machine seems to be working.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

And Porsche (WR)?

As the GT-R proves its outright speed at the Ring, the road testing suggests some off-track usability issues with this car. I still think I'm waiting for the RS-5, and further I actually hope it is 15 seconds slower than the Nissan at the Ring - the Audi will be a more usable and enjoyable road car for being a bit less Ring-optimized.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778616 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442138 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263009 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261300 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85549 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5764 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880981 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816926 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM