Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT2 Modifications

Does anyone know if there are exhaust modifications available for the 08 GT2's? I have done the DME remap by FVD and now am replacing some rubber hoses with silicone that will make my total HP up to around 600. I am looking for a more growling and strong sound for the car with a more free flowing exhaust.

Re: GT2 Modifications

The GT2 is still very much new so I imaginie that you'd have to wait a few months or so before anything is available. I do know that Techart already has a body kit available but not sure if they have any engine/exhaust/intake modifications available yet.

Thanks. Is there a supplier of choice that might make a product with the sound I am looking for? Actually, the exhaust is the same as the 997 turbo like you have, only it is titanium. I believe that any exhaust that fits on a TT will also work on the GT2. I was told that I could remove the titanium exhaust and install it on my wife's 997 TT Cab. The dealer said this.

Do you have any pics of your wife's TT cab? thanks

I think the main issue would be the fitment of the tips

The following is from the company I plan to use to mod my 997TT (no affilitation, no personal experience yet). I have heard their Turbo's exhaust: too loud for me but easily the most exciting sound I have heard; it spits, and pops, and crackles like a race car. I must warn that it is on the loud side. Well, at least the one for the 997TT is.

Congrats on your *fabulous* car. I am madly in love with it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.gmgracing.com/gmg997gt2.shtml
    GMG Announces World Challenge Tuning Program for the 997 GT2 (WC-GT2)

The GMG World Challenge (WC-GT2) performance package will consist of a revised GMG WC-GT Sport Exhaust system (GT2 specific), available in both stainless steel and titanium. GMG has further reduced the weight of the stock system and increased exhaust flow for the 997GT2 ,yielding an increase in power and improved sound.
    Software tuning will consist of custom tuned software packages by GIAC and will be specifically designed with our exhaust system for maximum power gains. For those who want even more power than the standard software, exhaust and header package, GMG will also offer custom built GMG spec VVT turbochargers which have been developed for optimum power levels in the 680-700 bhp range

In addition, GMG will enhance the GT2's suspension with its very own World Challenge line of suspension products, which consist of their race proven rear GMG GT Dog Bone Kit, Adjustable Inner Thrust Arm Bushing Kit and Rear GT Toe Steer kit. GMG will once again partner with Eibach Federn to produce our direct replacement GMG World Challenge Sway Bar upgrade package which will further improve the GT2 handling and will be specifically tuned for the GT2 suspension. GMG will offer customer revised gearbox ratios for track and performance driving along with their WC LSD upgrade for street and track.

The original GMG GT Harness/Roll Bar will also be available for clients who are looking for additional safety for weekend track use. For those customers who wish to participate in more competitive driving, a bolt-in 6 point roll cage will also be available as an option.

The GMG World Challenge (WC) line of performance products is currently available for the 996GT2, 997TT and 997GT3 & RS models.

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:
    Does anyone know if there are exhaust modifications available for the 08 GT2's? I have done the DME remap by FVD and now am replacing some rubber hoses with silicone that will make my total HP up to around 600. I am looking for a more growling and strong sound for the car with a more free flowing exhaust.

FVD should also have the exhaust system.

why would you want to do that. unlike the TT, the GT2 sounds awesome and really agressive when you step on it.

congrats !!!

but, imo I would leave the GT2 stock for some months, enjoy the stock sound, and then....upgrade for an aftermarket exhaust, for that time, I'm sure there will be more than one exhaust option to go for !!!...

Also have in mind that with about 10.000kms done, exhaust note will change, being more loud !!!

I personally haveng heard a 997GT2, but lots of people already guarantee it sounds amazing as it is.....I would recommend in waiting some months, enjoy the stock sound and then change for something that has been already tested....

anyway, congrats for that carrera gt eater !!!

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:
    Thanks. Is there a supplier of choice that might make a product with the sound I am looking for? Actually, the exhaust is the same as the 997 turbo like you have, only it is titanium. I believe that any exhaust that fits on a TT will also work on the GT2. I was told that I could remove the titanium exhaust and install it on my wife's 997 TT Cab. The dealer said this.

FWIW, the 997TT and GT2 are not the same shape at all. The GT2 unit is a much more compact single chamber unit, whereas the TT has 2 voluminous chambers joined at the car's centerline.

I would leave everything stock in the GT2.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    I would leave everything stock in the GT2.

Like PandaMan, I just don't understand why you have the burn to mod one of the finest car Porsche has ever produced. That car should be your friggn' crown jewel that kneel and pray to every single day. You are sooooo lucky to have it, please don't screw it up!

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Do you have any pics of your wife's TT cab? thanks

Gone to dealer. An 09 Cayenne Turbo S now on order and traded early due to buyer wanting. Midnight with Metropol top and Natural Leather. An absolute beauty. Thanks to everyone for the opinions on exhaust and other modifications. I will tone it down. On another note, the dealer has asked me to take it to http://www.texasmile.com and see how it will do. Any opinions?

I would leave the car stock if it was mine. Doubtful you'll gain much on the exhaust unless you do away with the cats completely. If you must get rid of your titanium exhaust, I'll trade you straight up for my Tubi, which I love btw.

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said: On another note, the dealer has asked me to take it to http://www.texasmile.com and see how it will do. Any opinions?

I would guess low to mid 170's stock, with the flash maybe 180mph

I would leave a gt2 stone cold stock!
    They are unbelievable right out of the box, you don't have to change a thing.

leaving mine stock for sure...car is simply fantastic as it is..

I've now driven a GT2, and listened to a second one from the outside. I understand perfectly while you are looking for stock exhaust replacement.

While the GT2's steering and suspension feel left me stunned--perfection incarnate and makes my Turbo feel like a Mercedes , the exhaust note leaves a lot to be desired. It is louder than stock Turbo and more aggressive sounding, but **to my ears** it is still very docile sounding, especially compared to other cars it its "class/category," and not loud enough. Like the Turbo, it has some of that bothersome continuous tone that is vacuum-cleaner like. I do think any number of after-market exhausts will improve upon the stock GT2 sound.

Of the exhaust systems I've listened to (I've had live auditions and have spent time listening to all sorts of exotic cars.), I could think of 2 that you might like based on my experience with the Turbo.
    GMG: While perfectly tolerable from inside the car, from the outside it is on the loud side and might not be neighbor friendly. It is race-car like in its aggressive tone: it spits, explodes, and rumbles. If I were to have a weekend track car, no question this is the one.
    Cargraphic: More quiet at idle and cruising, but becomes "angry" sounding and aggressive with open throttle. A wonderful machine-gun like burst (staccato) from the outside under load. As long as you don't race through the neighborhood at 7000 rpm, a very neighbor-friendly system.
    I also like AWE. Beautiful low frequency rumbling.

This is a matter of taste so YMMV, and again please note my comments regarding GMG/Cargraphic/etc. are based on my experience with the Turbo, not GT2. Currently Cargraphic and other famous European companies like Tubi haven't released a GT2 system yet, but I am sure they will. Hope this helps and congrats again on such an unbelievably fantastic car.

BTW, the second GT2 that I listened to was being dropped off for exhaust, ECU tune, and suspension mod . I am puzzled about the suspension change since the stock GT2 feels so perfect to me already, but maybe owner knows something I don't.

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:

Isn't throwing away a very expensive new technology stock titanium exhaust a little silly though?!

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    Isn't throwing away a very expensive new technology stock titanium exhaust a little silly though?!

Who said it was being thrown away? The dealership has bought it for installation on someone's 997TT.

I see what you mean. But since when does modding take into consideration the value of the original parts? Think of our own Turbo wheel, exhaust system, and for some, suspension system. Maybe 13k at least? And if you are after better sound, does it matter whether the stock exhaust is made of steel or $$$ xyz exotic material?

I would think anyone with the $ for a GT2 would be in a position to replace it with an after-market exhaust system that is *also* titanium. No weight gain or performance loss!

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

Who said it was being thrown away? The dealership has bought it for installation on someone's 997TT.

I thought RC or someone mentioned a while back that retro-fitting a GT2 exhaust to a TT wasn't possible. Especially with the different types of bumpers?!

Perhaps this put's a new complexing on things if an OPC is doing the retro-fit.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I see what you mean. But since when does modding take into consideration the value of the original parts? Think of our own Turbo wheel, exhaust system, and for some, suspension system. Maybe 13k at least? And if you are after better sound, does it matter whether the stock exhaust is made of steel or $$$ xyz exotic material?

I would think anyone with the $ for a GT2 would be in a position to replace it with an after-market exhaust system that is *also* titanium. No weight gain or performance loss!

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

The only thing better about my old stock exhaust was the density of the cats to improve emissions. Everything else is worse compared to my new Cargraphic exhaust (which is lighter, and better quality)

My old stock wheels aren't as good as good as my HRE's either (which are lighter, stronger etc)

So I consider these as both 'upgrades'.

The GT2 exhaust system is much more advanced, so you'd really have to push the boat out $$$$-wise to not lose more than you gain on a replacement.

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

The only thing better about my old stock exhaust was the density of the cats to improve emissions. Everything else is worse compared to my new Cargraphic exhaust (which is lighter, and better quality)

My old stock wheels aren't as good as good as my HRE's either (which are lighter, stronger etc)

The GT2 exhaust system is much more advanced, so you'd really have to push the boat out $$$$-wise to not lose more than you gain on a replacement.

How much lighter are those HRE wheels? Was there any noticeable improvement in acceleration?

The same thing you said about Cargraphic Exhaust for your Turbo would apply to, say, Cargraphic Exhaust for the GT2. There is no reason for me to think otherwise coming from Cargraphic, or even GMG, if owner decides to stick with Titanium version. (GMG Racing is located across the street from Porsche Motorsport North America in Santa Ana and maintains a working relationship.) For one, AFAIK both would be in a position to use 200 cell substrate--vs. 600 or whatever for stock exhaust--to reduce back pressure. So yes, while data is not published yet, it should/would be an upgrade. There is no reason to think otherwise.

Yes you have a point about $ issue, but I think that is for original poster to decide here. Seriously, have you listened to a GT2 in real life and under load, from inside and outside the car? If you have, I think you would understand much better why the question was posed and might not be presenting an argument here.

Real, not rhetoric or argumentative , question: Do you know what it is about the GT2 exhaust system that makes it "much more advanced," outside of the Titanium construction?

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

Quote:
    GT said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

How much lighter are those HRE wheels? Was there any noticeable improvement in acceleration?

As published a few times now:

Can't say if acceleration was better as I did the mod within 24 hours of receiving the new car. It's more about handling gains though through 'un-sprung weight' than acceleration.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    The same thing you said about Cargraphic Exhaust for your Turbo would apply to, say, Cargraphic Exhaust for the GT2. There is no reason for me to think otherwise coming from Cargraphic, or even GMG, if owner decides to stick with Titanium version. (GMG Racing is located across the street from Porsche Motorsport North America in Santa Ana and maintains a working relationship.) For one, AFAIK both would be in a position to use 200 cell substrate--vs. 600 or whatever for stock exhaust--to reduce back pressure. So yes, while data is not published yet, it should/would be an upgrade. There is no reason to think otherwise.

Yes you have a point about $ issue, but I think that is for original poster to decide here. Seriously, have you listened to a GT2 in real life and under load, from inside and outside the car? If you have, I think you would understand much better why the question was posed and might not be presenting an argument here.

Real, not rhetoric or argumentative , question: Do you know what it is about the GT2 exhaust system that makes it "much more advanced," outside of the Titanium construction?

I am not aware of a titanium after-market exhaust system for the GT2 with Cargraphic - not that I have really researched this area.

The official docs are my only source of info on the stock exhaust:

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

I thought RC or someone mentioned a while back that retro-fitting a GT2 exhaust to a TT wasn't possible. Especially with the different types of bumpers?!

Perhaps this put's a new complexing on things if an OPC is doing the retro-fit.

I was told that the only difference in the exhaust systems as related to installation are the square-like black pieces on the rear bumper. Essentially, the 997TT and GT2 motors are identical except for a couple parts that help the GT2. The Porsche Service guy, who may or may not know as much as you guys, said the titanium GT2 exhaust would bolt directly to a 997TT with little effort, and modification would only need to be done to the bumper. The dealer has had several 997TT owners want my exhaust, thus my consideration to remove. I have yet decided to remove, as the aftermarket products might be a little new for my taste at present.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763580 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436018 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260823 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257785 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82565 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

873468 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808356 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM