Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 (Next 911 generation 2018/2019) Thread Closed

Not the GT3 engine then. It makes sense because else the price would have to be increased substantially (compared to the predecessor). At least it's staying NA kiss

What about the Spyder ? Does it get the same engine again? 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

Not the GT3 engine then. It makes sense because else the price would have to be increased substantially (compared to the predecessor). At least it's staying NA kiss

the twin will be the same ctrl+c/ctrl+v without roof Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

--

2018 White 911 GT3

the-missile:
    Gauss:

the twin will be the same ctrl+c/ctrl+v without roof Smiley

-10hp as usual Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Enzo II:

https://youtu.be/iX49EGul73g

This for sure must be a informal Porsche published video. Why not otherwise film more of the interior?

Interesting with the electric pop-out door handles for better aerodynamics.

lukestern:
    Enzo II:

This for sure must be a informal Porsche published video. Why not otherwise film more of the interior?

Like i said in a previous comment.

Also tought weird filming so much in detail except the interior.

By the way, photos of that car in that spot have been posted in Instagram for over a week now. Funny the video only appeared last couple of days.

By the way, i didnt noticed those "electric pop-out door handles"! Thanks.

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    lukestern:
    Enzo II:

By the way, photos of that car in that spot have been posted in Instagram for over a week now. Funny the video only appeared last couple of days.

McLaren leads with carbon fibre tub whilst Porsche keeps advancing door handle mechanics on the 911.  One may recall that the 991.2 featured revised door handles too.

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Let's see... I hear the GT4 is confirmed with 4.0 litre Porsche motorsport engine, so that may provide a good indication, along with the RSR win at Le Mans! kiss

I was talking about the 992...just in case you didn't notice. Smiley
    718 GT4 has been confirmed with the 4.0 l GT engine? Did I miss something? Smiley

Whoopsy confirmed it Smiley

Well, he certainly has more information about the GT4 than I do. Smiley

IMG_7832.jpg

That information is no longer correct since my visit to Weissach.

When I was told 4.0L, I had automatically assumed it was the Motorsport engine as that's the only 4.0L Porsche had as that time.

But it would seem the GT4 will have the existing 3.8L enlarged to 4.0L instead, 420HP. The Motorsport 4.0L will goes to the GT4RS. IF it ever comes to market. 

The 420HP 4.0L engine will also be in the next GT4CS, which will come in 3 versions, a base spec track car, a trophy spec for spec racing and a SRO homologated version for IMSA and International racing.

If the same motor will be in the GT4 CS, including a homologation version for IMSA and International racing, that certainly sounds like a naturally-aspirated Porsche motorsport engine...  image.gif

Isn't the interesting thing what will be presented at Goodwood in a couple of weeks? If that has an NA motor then it must be Euro 6C? If so then it can also be used in a second batch of RS and potentially further? 

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

CGX car nut:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    lukestern:
    Enzo II:

McLaren leads with carbon fibre tub whilst Porsche keeps advancing door handle mechanics on the 911.  One may recall that the 991.2 featured revised door handles too.

I said i didnt noticed the electric pop up door handles on the video, i didnt said it was a tech advance.

I dont mean any disrespect but you should stick with the McLaren forum since (acording to your comment) you´re such a die hard fan!!!

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Let's see... I hear the GT4 is confirmed with 4.0 litre Porsche motorsport engine, so that may provide a good indication, along with the RSR win at Le Mans! kiss

I was talking about the 992...just in case you didn't notice. Smiley
    718 GT4 has been confirmed with the 4.0 l GT engine? Did I miss something? Smiley

Whoopsy confirmed it Smiley

Well, he certainly has more information about the GT4 than I do. Smiley

IMG_7832.jpg

That information is no longer correct since my visit to Weissach.

When I was told 4.0L, I had automatically assumed it was the Motorsport engine as that's the only 4.0L Porsche had as that time.

But it would seem the GT4 will have the existing 3.8L enlarged to 4.0L instead, 420HP. The Motorsport 4.0L will goes to the GT4RS. IF it ever comes to market. 

The 420HP 4.0L engine will also be in the next GT4CS, which will come in 3 versions, a base spec track car, a trophy spec for spec racing and a SRO homologated version for IMSA and International racing.

If the same motor will be in the GT4 CS, including a homologation version for IMSA and International racing, that certainly sounds like a naturally-aspirated Porsche motorsport engine...  image.gif

Not really. The old 3.8L has already been race tested being inside the current GT4CS, and it's bullet proof. No one has any engine trouble for all of 2 seasons. But the ABS system is on the other hand a different story. It gets confused easily.

--

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    CGX car nut:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    lukestern:
    Enzo II:

I said i didnt noticed the electric pop up door handles on the video, i didnt said it was a tech advance.

I dont mean any disrespect but you should stick with the McLaren forum since (acording to your comment) you´re such a die hard fan!!!

It was a joke based on the 991.2 press release listing a revised door handle profile.  One understands that Porsche and McLaren are approaching the marketplace from two different ends.  The 911 starts off at a significantly price point than that of McLaren.  However, this means that Porsche with higher end variants run slightly less technologically interesting solutions than McLaren.  

CGX car nut:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    CGX car nut:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    lukestern:
    Enzo II:

It was a joke based on the 991.2 press release listing a revised door handle profile.  One understands that Porsche and McLaren are approaching the marketplace from two different ends.  The 911 starts off at a significantly price point than that of McLaren.  However, this means that Porsche with higher end variants run slightly less technologically interesting solutions than McLaren.  

Confusion cleared!!!

Enjoy the Forum!!!

Best Regards.

--

DaveGordon:

Isn't the interesting thing what will be presented at Goodwood in a couple of weeks? If that has an NA motor then it must be Euro 6C? If so then it can also be used in a second batch of RS and potentially further? 

I thought that was a set case , GT3 engine , but then who knows ..... seems to be a confusing time, but then I can't imagine they didn't manage to get the GT3 engine homologated . 

Swapping last moment to the  rebored 3.8 would be easy 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

spot the difference

992/991.2

19D91C80-F683-4ACA-9EF2-CDD1E33C40BB.jpeg

Not crazy about the fender edges (larger vertical flat edge.) I'm still hoping we get back to clean fender lips, like the 928 below...

1987_Porsche_928_S4_front.jpg

992 has a particulate filter, still 6-cyl. boxer engine though. No 4-cyl in the 992, thank god.

Regarding McLaren and the Carbon tub and Porsche: Porsche seems to think that the weight advantage isn't essential, they try to cope with the weight using a different approach, incl. the mild hybridization which apparently seems to boost performance as well.

I admire McLaren a lot for their light weight approaches but I think Porsche is also under pressure to keep high gain margins per car, so... Smiley It would be interesting to take a peek at the gain margins of McLaren and Porsche, I mean the ones we won't going to see or learn about (there are only guesses...I think).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

992 has a particulate filter, still 6-cyl. boxer engine though. No 4-cyl in the 992, thank god.

Regarding McLaren and the Carbon tub and Porsche: Porsche seems to think that the weight advantage isn't essential, they try to cope with the weight using a different approach, incl. the mild hybridization which apparently seems to boost performance as well.

I admire McLaren a lot for their light weight approaches but I think Porsche is also under pressure to keep high gain margins per car, so... Smiley It would be interesting to take a peek at the gain margins of McLaren and Porsche, I mean the ones we won't going to see or learn about (there are only guesses...I think).

I also think that a Porsche is more seen as a daily driver, and customers will not accept the cost of reparation of a CF tub. McLaren is more seen as a supercar with the associated cost. They can afford to charge sky-high prices for reparation, where Porsche can not (for the 911 range).

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:
    RC:

I also think that a Porsche is more seen as a daily driver, and customers will not accept the cost of reparation of a CF tub. McLaren is more seen as a supercar with the associated cost. They can afford to charge sky-high prices for reparation, where Porsche can not (for the 911 range).

+1

I can't see the non-GT cars using a CF tub. They are anyway not in the same league as McLaren hence pointless to compare. The GT cars maybe, but pricing will surely be different then.

--

Carbon tubs are difficult to produce in the quantities required for 911 sales and still far more costly than the traditional pressed steel floorpan method used by Porsche. They also transmit more noise into the cabin which would be unacceptable to most 911 buyers.

Alfa made Carbon tubs for the 4C. If Alfa can do it on such a car in this price tag, I don't see why Porsche can't in a higher price tag.

The 4C is low volume and not cheap at all for what you get (the engine for example is 1.7 four-pot engine) unless you buy it second hand.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

appreciate all the great info on the 992!

curious if anyone knows what the 992's weight distribution will be and if they will move the engine "forward" like Porsche did with the 991?  (I read "the engine was moved  ~7cm forward in the 991 from the 997")

thanks!

Dallara made the tubs for the 4C. Only works with small volumes.

Having said that - who made BMW’s i3 shell? Or do they just sell them as a loss-leader.?

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Don’t forget the i8 too.  

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Joost:

Even more than potential repair issues, the CF tubs I am aware of all have a fairly wide door sill that one has to slide over to reach your seats, part of maintaining the strength needed.   OK for a supercar-style experience but not in the DD use of a 911.  McLaren made a big deal about reducing the height of this sill in their 570 series, but it is still much more prominent than in a normal car that does not use CF.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

The Audi R8/Huracan also have a (limited) carbon tub, so it is possible to build it in higher numbers... Only problem is repair cost and insurance issues.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Compared to 911 production, R8/Huracan production is just a novelty item.

Plus, the 911 shared the platform with Cayman/Boxster, so the production numbers are even higher.

Porsche doesn't want to admit that but it's the truth. It's why the 2 series of cars can be made on the same line and it's so easy to convert the RSR into a mid engine car.

--

we could dream for just a part of the 911 production to be produced with carbon tube.

In the spirit to differentiate the usual models and 718 lines with the most exclusive 911s ( Turbo & S and GT cars) yes

but will not happen. indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:

Porsche doesn't want to admit that but it's the truth.

I think anyone who has driven both knows that it is essentially the same car. One just happens to cost twice as much as the other indecision

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690626 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409864 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256081 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235319 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65723 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774805 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM