Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Fastest Pikes Peaks climb

Targa Tim:
    Gnil:
    Targa Tim:
    Gnil:

Jacques was never fast   , just lucky to have fast cars angry

its all relative, let's just say he is faster than all of us here on any given track with the same car Smiley

I' ll fully agree with that Smiley  Unless there is an ex F1 driver hidden behind one of RT' s avatar Smiley

you mean RC?Smiley

Smiley I do well but I doubt it would be good enough for the F1. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Made it home, safely. Was busy all week so pretty much didn't post anything. The race didn't end as I had hoped, weather played a big part in me not doing the complete run to the top on Sunday. Perfect excuse for me to go back again next year. All the racers told me on the very first day that I will be hooked and will keep coming back, they are so right.

But what an experience! It is so unlike anything I have been in. Every day is 2am wake up time in order to make it to the gate by 3-3:30am and getting things sorted before practice starts at 5am. the day ends at 8:30am when we start packing up and give the highway back to the public by 9:30am. Rinse and repeat from Tuesday to Friday.

Pikes_Peak_Course-2.jpg

Here is the complete map of the course. The Ken Block corner, aka Mitsubishi corner, is the left right after the 4th leg. One can't quite see it from the map, but it looks very much like the stretch between the 2nd leg and 3rd leg, but the corner is a lot tighter. On my very first practice run ever, I almost flew off that same corner. |. | this close. 

They chop the whole course into 3 sections for practice, From start line to Glen Cove, Glen Cove to Devil's Playground and Devil's Playground to the Summit. We did middle section, top section, bottom section in that order.

In the map, notice the corner named Engineers Corner, that's also called Rookie's Corner. Most of the crashes one saw on Youtube happens there. It pretty much looked exactly the same as the next set at Picnic ground, but as one can see, Engineers is a lot tighter, can't take it flat like the Picnic ground one. Easy to get the corners mixed up as a lot of them really do look alike.

Also notice the Sump, that's where Randy Pobst flew off last year in the Skyline. 

--

Here is the VW car at tech inspection

IMG_8931.JPGIMG_8932.JPG

On race day the VW crew has 3 giant heaters running to keep the components at the right temperature. The whole bubble tent is also heated too.

IMG_9169.JPGIMG_9168.JPG

What an achievement. 7:57.148. The course is 12.5 miles long, for tourist driving up at the speed limit, it would take them close to 40 mins to go from start line to the top for comparison.

--

Whoopsy:

What an achievement. 7:57.148. The course is 12.5 miles long, for tourist driving up at the speed limit, it would take them close to 40 mins to go from start line to the top for comparison.

any video from your side Nick?

is the VW record is possible to watch?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

All together, there were 5 cars that crashed all week, 4 of them Porsches, yours truly is unfortunately part fo the statistics.

On Tuesday this happened. At the corner named Bottomless Pit.

IMG_9146.JPG

That wall is 100 years old, it wasn't built to withstand car impacts. Beyond the wall is pretty much a bottomless drop that goes down a few thousands feet. It was the hands of God that pushed the car back towards the road, another foot he would have fallen down the pit. 

IMG_9140.JPG
    IMG_9139.JPG

I went off on Wednesday, but at least I picked a spot where I don't fall 1000 feet. Only dropped about 4 feet.

IMG_9026.JPG
    IMG_9030.JPG

It pretty much right at Mile Marker 18. That area is called Boulder Park, as it happens I flew 15-20 feet into the field and didn't hit a single boulder. No one believed that I didn't hit a single rock, when they came back down the mountain from the practice run, they could see my car from a long ways away and thought I purposely parked there to do a photo shoot.

Decent damage to the front, needing new bumper and radiators, the front trunk was mangled and quite a bit of underbody damage but nothing major, my car was perched onto of a rock and that rock is 6 inches from the engine. With the help of Porsche Colorado Springs, my crew repaired my car in 4hrs later that afternoon.

I made practice and qualifying Thursday. The new bumper was also re-wrapped and graphics-ed in time for Fan Fest Friday night. But it also wasn't without drama, my rear glass shattered during the downhill drive after a run, and my crew did a quick fix with tape to secure the glass. Don't care about the not color matching red and green tape. As luck would have it, the TV film crew was doing filming on my car, so they captured everything.

IMG_9076.JPG

Just before the glass shattered, while waiting for the field to come up before going down. What a view up there.

IMG_9075.JPG

Thursday during qualifying another ClubSport took a spill in the lower section, safer as there are no cliffs, but with trees and rocks. It was quite a bit more damaged than mine, his front trunk is even more mangled and also broke a shock tower. My crew jumped in to help with the repairs, and 16 hours later it is running again. I took the only set of radiators and front bumper from the PMNA support truck, but Porsche Colorado Springs jumped in to help again and gave up a car for us to cannibalize parts for the repairs. 

IMG_9088.JPG

Come Sunday for the race, another one of our ClubSport crashed 2 corners from the finish during the race. His brakes failed just before Cog Cut, there is a cog rail line 70 feet beyond the edge of the corner, he launched and flew all the way to the rail line. One can't quite see what's beyond the edge, so when he flew off, he thought that was it for him and he is gonna fall 1000 feet to his death. Luckily that didn't happened. And the car also made it back to the shop at Porsche Colorado Springs by 8pm. As it happens, his front end took the brunt of the impact, also the rocks destroyed the oil pan. And a shock tower broke too. The joke was that we 3 crashed the ClubSport harder and harder. 

IMG_9190.JPG
    IMG_9189.JPG

The crashed car does make a great pizza buffet table though:

IMG_9191.JPG

I simply cannot say enough good things on Porsche Colorado Springs, they went above and beyond for sure.

And it's only fitting that their car, the yellow GT3R driven by David Donohue, won it's class and broke the time record.

--

the-missile:
    Whoopsy:

any video from your side Nick?

is the VW record is possible to watch?

Not really, but I am sure VW right now is hard at work editing their own record run to be posted.

--

This is at Fan Fest:

IMG_9118.JPG

IMG_9117.JPG

I haven't seen my car for a while as they took the car to the wrap shop and bring it back to Fan Fest, and I discovered a new sticker on the front bumper, and the rear, and they also re-taped the back glass to blue to match.

That sticker is also on the other repaired crashed ClubSport:

IMG_9116.JPG

Totally unexpected. Goofy and funny.

The best part is that on the invoice, it reads:

Kwan Offroad Adventures Inc

420 Offroad Trail

Pikes Peak, Colorado.

--

The VW record car at Fan Fest

1530029975260IMG_9123.JPG

Which sat next to this:

IMG_9121.JPG

The Porsche photoshoot for their drivers before the race.

IMG_4079.JPG

And one of me at the start line

IMG_4103.JPG

--

I saw some old friends, and made a lot of new friends at Pikes Peak. 

I am not the fastest, nor a celebrity like CJ Wilson, or famous racer like Travis Pastrana, JR Hildebrand. But the fans don't care, (may be they just like my car number, 420 smiley), I had had numerous people came up and ask for autographs. On Sunday evening when we drive back down the mountain, the fans are right on the road side clapping and high-fives, they point at my car number at a thumbs up approval. What an atmosphere!

I will surely be back next year and do a proper run up to the summit for sure.

--

Congratulations what an amazing and memorable experience ! Thank you for sharing kiss

What a great write up Nick! wink fantastic! what an experience!

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

great story Nick, thank you for sharing kiss

luck was with you, but hope for a good lesson learned here: Pikes Peaks is definitely dangerousenlightened

I never really followed this ''race'' but each and every time I heard about it, it is on same style as your story.

they should enforce safety on exposed areas at least, well that is my point of view.angry

you were under Porsche AG flag for this event? PCNA? that is really cool.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Glad you're OK, Nick kiss

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Amazing photos and experience. Thanks for sharing.

What a great experience. kiss

Whoopsy:

I saw some old friends, and made a lot of new friends at Pikes Peak. 

I am not the fastest, nor a celebrity like CJ Wilson, or famous racer like Travis Pastrana, JR Hildebrand. But the fans don't care, (may be they just like my car number, 420 smiley), I had had numerous people came up and ask for autographs. On Sunday evening when we drive back down the mountain, the fans are right on the road side clapping and high-fives, they point at my car number at a thumbs up approval. What an atmosphere!

I will surely be back next year and do a proper run up to the summit for sure.

Perhaps they wondered why you were parked alongside the boulders, especially with 420 on your doors!

Great story and great photos Nick.

Also glad you are ok!

thanks for sharing   kiss

Porsche had a TV crew followed us to do the story on CJ and Travis, but they were strongly 'encouraged' to not film the damaged cars.

Guess I tucked on the leash again to post them here 

Anyways, the roads are quite frightening to tourists, many are going down hill at like 8 mph, dragging their brakes all the way down. They are the most dangerous kind, their brakes will be useless and too hot by the time they reach the brake check point at Glen Cove. 

At the posted speed limit, the roads are really not that dangerous, especially going up, there are plenty of time to see where the roads are going. Going downhill might be a bit more scary as the sight of the sheer drop is quite apparent. 

This is really inline with the new Porsche slogan, PORSCHE EXPERIENCE. It really is an experience, same with my races in Europe, as part of the Porsche Racing Experience.

--

Daniel, the new head of PMNA, came and spent basically the week with us. We had quite a bit of constructive conversation about the new direction PMNA is taking. he is sort of undoing what Jens had established.

Taking part in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb is just one of many that they will do with 'factory' support. They are also planning to bring the Porsche Racing Experience to North America also, venues t one determined, but my track seems attractive to them.

--

Thank you write up, very cool stuff....makes me want to go and check out this race sometime... kiss

wow - what a joy it must have been !

So sorry to hear about your mishap, Nick. Smiley Sh.t happens, just another adventure. Smiley Smiley

At least the pizza looked delicious, so maybe a bit of a consolation. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

fantastic !

Great story Nick!
    Good to hear you came back safely, and so much fun with the Kwan Offroad Adventures! It's a sign that the atmosphere and relation is very good when people start pulling these kind of jokes. All in all, great thread to read, hats off!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Nick, I really enjoyed the pictures and narrative. Thanks for posting.kiss

oh, I’m glad your safe. I for one would be one of those riding the brakes going down.indecision

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

Well now that that one is in the books, next stop is the French Alps, Cannes to Megeve, July 4th to 8th. (More mountain switchback driving)

Then racing at Nurburgring July 20th-22nd.

--

Thanks for sharing those photos and the detailed write up . It must be thrilling !!!! Not so sure about how to consider the danger .... 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

The danger will always be there, even without driving fast, other tourists do panic and cross over to the other lane, or ride the brakes and cause everyone behind them to over heat their brakes.

In the race it's actually feel safer believe it or not. One car at a time, and we can use both lanes. 

I went off only because I had taken an apex too early and my arc took me straight out off the road. The key to doing the hill climb is taking late apexes. Words of wisdom from Jeff Zwart. 

The spec tires we had to run from Yokohama is fantastic. Their 052. It is suppose to be a Cup2 competitor. From my runs, they come up to temp quicker, and retains the heat better. The first run at 5am is ice cold tires but by the time we come back down and do the second run, which is like around 45mins later, 2 corners and they are right there. And stay there. Some even managed to get them switched on by the time we finish the first run.

Can't comment on them handling heat as ambient temperature never got above 15-18 degrees. 

They do however have more damp grip than Cup2s. 

Unfortunately I was told the Japanese office dictates that they will be selling at a premium price like the Cup2s. 

--

Whoopsy:

I went off only because I had taken an apex too early and my arc took me straight out off the road. The key to doing the hill climb is taking late apexes. Words of wisdom from Jeff Zwart. 

I've always taught that the "apex" of a turn is just the point where you can safely leave the inside of the corner and still not track out off the track at the end. When you're looking at a 1,000' drop on track-out, having a bit more margin is a pretty sound thing to do! Smiley

Congratulations on the whole thing though, looks like it was a really great experience!

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

people not used to drive on mountain roads do not know how to drive them . Always on brakes , never heard of engine braking . Also fear, makes them do stupid moves .

Still, pushing a race car on the empty road trying to do a time is certainly more dangerous 

At the Ring, at least, we just hit the armco , not the bottom of a valley indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM