Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Just saw the X6 in person

The dealership here had 5 X6's lined up for display. They were all 3.5Xdrive - Fully loaded with automatic suction doors, navigation, blue tooth, leather, wood trimming, auto lift gate, etc..

The car is fugly! I'm sorry to say so and is very expensive. The 3.5 version costs $100,000!!! It looks like a giant hatch back and has no identity. The front I can swallow since it looks like a huge 3 series but the back is plain butt-ugly, let me take that back, I like some butts its just ugly.

The car seats 4 but I felt a bit squeezed in the back - I'm 180cm tall - maybe its an illusion due to the way the roof is constructed and how the car is squatting to the front.

The car is more expensive than a V6 3.0 X5 and V8 4.8 X5 as well. The V6 X5 fully loaded here costs $69,000 and the fully loaded V8 X5 costs $91,000. I'm sure the car will sell but I see no value for the money from design or practical views. To me, I'd be like who in his right mind would go get this and pass up on a Cayenne GTS for example for less money ! but I'm sure some others will love it and pay! If you are leaning towards a cross-over purchase then you are better off going with the Infinity FX, its better value for the money and way better looking.

Kind of the same feeling people are having towards the GT-R - some people can't wait and love it and some people are saying they wouldn't touch it with a stick!

Re: Just saw the X6 in person

Looks wise, I like it a lot. Price wise, what you report has to be market specific and makes no sense.

As far as practicality, I have to say I was sitting in a brand new Cayenne GTS (13 mpg ) a few days ago at the dealer and tried out the back seat. Tall people will be challenged there too.

How often do tall men sit in a back seat in any car? under what circumstances? So what's the point. (to those that think it is a problem)

I have yet to see it in the flesh but indeed the whole concept vs the X5's does not make any sense, it is more a marketing idea than anything else.

I guess that is why the X6 has chassis enhancement the X5 does not have (but I do not see what technically speaking prevents their implementation on the latter), otherwise there would be no justification to buy the X6 given its lesser storage space and habitability.

I saw it about a month ago.
    The BMW dealership had a "launch night" showing the X6 3.0TDI and V8 4.0 benzin (if i remember correctly).
    prices are a bit higher than the X5 with the same engine and equipment (about $10K-$20K more).

I think it's the ugliest car BMW, and any other european car maker, ever made.

I'm sure some attention-lookers will buy it. but don't think it will sell well.

just my 2 cents..

nice pic

Explain who the intended buyer of a $65,000+ 5500 lb 4 SEATER high riding " sporty " vehicle getting 12 MPG in town with a cargo space robbing severly sloped rear hatch is going to be for the US market ?
    Ain't gonna fly with the suburban soccer moms , no matter how much the dad tries to talk her into it .
    Way too big and " nice " for the urban young who would rather just stick with their low -care Subies as they and ski buddies eat their drippy burgers in -car on way to Tahoe.

My prediction : this vehicle will replace the Escalade as the next flavor of the moment " SUV blingmobile " with 24" dubs and most ironically , extreme lowering kits ,for SoCal and South Beach night club cruisers. Then they will drive something that looks and handles just like what they would never be caught owning : grandpa's station wagon.

Isuzu tried this about a decade ago with the VehiCROSS.

It will be another failure for BMW in a market where failure is NOT an option.

Make no mistake, this is going to sell and like hot cakes.

I saw this in person at the recent car show up in Vancouver BC and thought it looked really good.

If I were in the market for another SUV, this is something I'd seriously consider getting.

My 2 cents ... I saw one in Mexico City last weekend and also consider it to be FUGLY

I think the responses sum up the fact that its subjective to a love it or hate it. I'm not saying it won't sell. I think people will buy it - sure.. However, it is still FUGLY!

saw it in person too.

the front is actually quite nice.. should be the X5 front

The rear though is simply digusting.. looks indeed like a HUGE hatch and there's all these stupid details. such as the light glass in the rear is bent out quite far.. the window is TINY and out of place... and then there's the famous butt which now is at eye sight :S

How many here who like it AND will seriously consider buying it are either single or w/o kids ?

I have one kid (1.5 years old) so one seat is taken by him. The other seat will be taken by his stuff (stuff that he wants next to him that can't go in the boot) or the nanny if she's around.. front seat for his mom - all gone ... and that's with one kid. MKW is right, only singles or no kids. Unless after justifying the cost to buy one - you only use it when alone.

Keep in mind the X6 v8 and the FX50 will both leave the Cayenne GTS in the dust.

You'd think that Porsche would be able to put more time and money into more performance enhancements since they don't have to spend their money on appearance updates.

SoCalHoosier, They all have comparable performance, we aren't talking 911 here - the difference is in 0-100 is in the points of seconds and horse power is all in the same range - Value for the money, I'd take the FX50. However, its not imported in my country. They only get the FX35 here for unknown reasons, so I took the Cayenne GTS. Another advantage is the manual gear box in the GTS which I ordered as well.

For Reference here is some data:
    Infiniti FX50 - 390BHP 0-60 5.2 seconds
    BMW X6 V8 - 400BHP 0-60 5.4 seconds
    Cayenne GTS - 405BHP 0-60 5.7 seconds (Manual) 6.1 seconds (Auto)

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Keep in mind the X6 v8 and the FX50 will both leave the Cayenne GTS in the dust.

You'd think that Porsche would be able to put more time and money into more performance enhancements since they don't have to spend their money on appearance updates.

Remember that we are talking 5500 lb trucksters here , any high power sports sedan worth it's name will easily put any of these in the weeds. Remember the recent video of the 205 mph ZR1 run at the 'Ring where it passed that big-rig near the end ? It must have been for "Truck and Owner Operator Magazine" 's upcoming Peterbilt vs Mack 'Ring shoot-out cover story

Quote:
    muhri said:
    I have one kid (1.5 years old) so one seat is taken by him. The other seat will be taken by his stuff (stuff that he wants next to him that can't go in the boot) or the nanny if she's around.. front seat for his mom - all gone ... and that's with one kid. MKW is right, only singles or no kids. Unless after justifying the cost to buy one - you only use it when alone.

Typical mother-to-be of the 4-seater X6's higher demographic is probable an overprotective " nervous nellie " type as it is , but the following article is common sense to anyone anyway :

Where to place baby seat ?

Also , if you HAVE to chose , the left rear passenger has higher death rate than right rear in countries with left hand drive cars . My theory : incoming car to your left has achieved a greater speed trying to clear an intersection too late .

The back end of the X6 just reminds me of the following

Ive seen it couple of times now and had to say this is a really well done and extremly loveable car to me.

I wanted to order one, but the fact that I dont can have adaptive cruise control was holding me back of it (for my daily driver a must have).

Its a pity... really great looking car and for me it does everything I would expect from my daily car. Spacious, comfy, good looking, extravagant!

Seen it in person too and gotta say I really, really like it...
    The top of the range model is quite appealing too

Drove it today

I drove it today. I also sat in the back seat. The 1 I drove had the twin turbo 6 engine along with the sport package.

It is very attractive inside and out. It is easy to get into and the interior is very functional and very comfortable. 5' 10" plus individuals will not like the back seat. Other than that i could see any negatives other than going to the gas station.

The driving was amazing. Very quick, no lag, no straining. Handling was great for any vehicle, but something else for a truck. Very little body lean and it absorbed all bumps well. You would never know you were in an SUV type vehicle except for the height and great forward visibility.

It was an automatic with paddle shifters if you wanted to control it more and get a little sporty, tiptronic I guess.

For those with 66K and a strong gas card, it's a very nice ride.

It looks ugly and more japanese than german. BMW has done lousy job with 1 series and the x6

I would not buy one because I think it's too "cutesy" or cartoonish, but my girlfriend loves it. Seems like a woman's car?

Quote:
    Lorenzo said:
    The back end of the X6 just reminds me of the following

+1

BMW is developing a new X6 like vehicle based on the 3 series touring platform.. lovely - expect some more ugliness guys.. Going back to the original point, they will not be spending the money to develop such vehicles unless they know people are going to pay.. As demonstrated by the x6 being sold out already ... congrats to the buyers

The aztec was a box. The X6 is the SUV equivalent of the best looking sedan on the market, the cls 550. It looks like automotive sculpture, has a nice flow.

The only bad thing is that the time for heavy SUV's is over.

The front 3Q angle looks quite nice and futurisitic.

Side profile looks terrible. Incredibly hard to make an SUV look good/flowing design - as recent (imo failures in design) examples prove.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689086 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408957 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255648 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234896 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857805 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773767 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM