Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide - Europe - UK Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Thinking about a used 991.1 Turbo S Coupe

nberry:

Turbo is a great choice for DD. Enjoy!kiss

Yep, as a daily driver, the 991.1/2 Turbo S has no super sportscar substitute.  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Only done 200 miles so far but really enjoying every moment!

I think the sound is loud enough for where I live, any louder and the neighbours would be complaining! (Problem with having neighbours!). I had PSE on my old 996 C4S, so I guess that was louder, but really can't remember now. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, esp. when you put your foot down!

That said, I am taking it easy at the moment, getting to know the car. When you do accelerate, it feels like you are being propelled at warp speed! So addictive!

Will post more in the next few weeks..!

20180608_180031.jpg

Looks great kiss

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

For the first few weeks of ownership I could not hear the car because I was focused on the rocket like speed. After driving or acceleration I would find myself trying to recall how loud it was only to realize I was too busy to listen and remember. 

Nice clean looking Turbo S, take it to Scotland one day, should be the perfect tool there!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

Nice clean looking Turbo S, take it to Scotland one day, should be the perfect tool there!

Taking the Boxster there this September for the North Coast 500 - very few places in Scotland where you can use Rocket power though....

https://www.northcoast500.com/

66F0E342-92CA-4671-8A42-789F11DF4271.jpeg

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

dreamcar:
    Porker:

Taking the Boxster there this September for the North Coast 500 - very few places in Scotland where you can use Rocket power though....

Would love to do that route sometime soon! Few places have the scale of Scotland IMO, rocket power can certainly be deployed there, at times!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Looks interesting! Am tempted, thanks!

dreamcar:
    Porker:

https://www.northcoast500.com/

66F0E342-92CA-4671-8A42-789F11DF4271.jpeg

--

I' ll keep this map as an idea for a road trip . Thanks for sharing , Dreamcar 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

No problem! Smiley  If you follow the link to NC500 you can get more detailed info, driving tips, routes and ideas for places to stay. My daughter lives and works in Edinburgh so we are combining the tour to spend time with her as well.

Naturally once tour is done I’ll write it up for my Rennteam friends Smiley

--

dreamcar:

No problem! Smiley  If you follow the link to NC500 you can get more detailed info, driving tips, routes and ideas for places to stay. My daughter lives and works in Edinburgh so we are combining the tour to spend time with her as well.

--

Stupid question: What about police on that route Smiley and where is it the best time to do it (less rain)? Thanks. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    dreamcar:

--

Stupid question: What about police on that route Smiley and where is it the best time to do it (less rain)? Thanks. Smiley

On NC500 route, particularly in the north west wilderness many of the spectacular roads are good but single track with passing places and very twisty - only a maniac would speed on them. National speed limit applies - 60mph / 96 km/h Elsewhere in the highlands the roads are faster in places, not too many police on them. Generally in the U.K. budget cuts have hit the Police hard, and road patrols have been one of the hardest hit areas. The  main fast road in Scotland is the A9 which runs down the east coast, Most of it’s length is covered by Average Speed Cameras. “SPECS”. Best time of year is probably September, spring can be very wet, although rain at any time in Scotland is possible. Also in the summer the infamous “midgies” are out in swarms, irritating but harmless tiny biting insects, these have diminished by September.

Typical NC 500 roads and scenery, (these are the Applecross Pass) just highlights these are not “Rocket car” roads!

A8B8C56D-7B29-4F67-90E0-2ACEA4D6CB9C.jpeg
    C8711C87-20CD-4B77-96DA-7CA9EE7D62AA.jpeg
    --

Thanks, September sounds great. Will (maybe) visit my kids' godparents (she is Scottish, he is German) next year and this sounds like a good trip/route. Smiley They live further south but kids and wife want to see Scotland, so... 

--

I did NC500 in my SL in May this year. Great fun, except for the tight one lane roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K939H50ByRI

RC:
    nberry:

Yep, as a daily driver, the 991.1/2 Turbo S has no super sportscar substitute.  Smiley

Mclaren 570S/GT was my preferred substitute unless of course you need the rear seats. 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

dreamcar:

--

Thanks ! The site is great . I' ll probably want to do it in November, or February  , when roads are empty and mist is around . Should add to the atmosphere .

--

Gnil:
    dreamcar:

--

Thanks ! The site is great . I' ll probably want to do it in November, or February  , when roads are empty and mist is around . Should add to the atmosphere .

If you do (personally I would not) take a 4x4! Winter weather can be unpredictable, bitterly cold with strong winds, driving rain and even heavy snow at times. Cell phone coverage is not always good either - the north and north west parts of NC500 really are a wilderness should you run into trouble in bad weather. Check with hotels on your planned route too, some close in the winter months.

--

Gnil:
    dreamcar:

--

That's when we did it (once late November early december, once January), can really recommend it. Adds to the rough atmosphere and scenery. Returning to cosy pubs with fireplaces in the evening, perfect.

--

Porker:
    Gnil:
    dreamcar:

--

That's when we did it (once late November early december, once January), can really recommend it. Adds to the rough atmosphere and scenery. Returning to cosy pubs with fireplaces in the evening, perfect.

You were lucky, my note of caution stands though, when the unpredictable weather strikes, frequently with little warning it is easy to end in trouble if unprepared or in an unsuitable vehicle. Smiley Forewarned is forearmed. I have relatives in the north Scotland (Thurso, near Dunnet Head / John o’Groat) and even in Edinburgh where my daughter lives and works bad weather can strike fast.

--

Wow what a great driving route. I’ll take this over a track any day.kiss

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

dreamcar:
    Porker:
    Gnil:
    dreamcar:

--

You were lucky, my note of caution stands though, when the unpredictable weather strikes, frequently with little warning it is easy to end in trouble if unprepared or in an unsuitable vehicle. Smiley Forewarned is forearmed. I have relatives in the north Scotland (Thurso, near Dunnet Head / John o’Groat) and even in Edinburgh where my daughter lives and works bad weather can strike fast.

--

Smiley

--

TB993tt:
    RC:
    nberry:

Mclaren 570S/GT was my preferred substitute unless of course you need the rear seats. 

Drive the 570S in winter time in Europe...what fun. Smiley Smiley

My jeweler sold his now, it was supposed to be his daily driver but I think he is getting a 720S now instead.

He also has a 675LT as I found out recently but he says the car "kills" his back (whatever he means) and he may want to get rid of it as well. 

--

675LT has a much more "laid-down" seat config compared to the 720 - you are not seating upright but tilted backwards - very sporty

BjoernB:

675LT has a much more "laid-down" seat config compared to the 720 - you are not seating upright but tilted backwards - very sporty

So does that mean it is uncomfortable? Smiley I didn't really understood the "killing my back" thing but I assumed it has something to do with the seat configuration (thin seat back) or chassis. Smiley

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

So does that mean it is uncomfortable? Smiley I didn't really understood the "killing my back" thing but I assumed it has something to do with the seat configuration (thin seat back) or chassis. Smiley

It is the relative lying down position which causes it in individuals who have sciatic lower back issues, I had it in my Carrera GT and in the 570S and now in the 720S. I jack the seat as high as it will go and have to sit relatively close to the wheel which bends my legs more and it alleviates it somewhat. I don't have it at all in 911s.

It is not "uncomfortable" it just means those of us with lower back/sciatic type injuries get pain with this type of driving position.

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

Thanks. Smiley

--

Since spinal biomachanics is in my neck of the woods, I will try to explain for those that may be interested.

It's all related to the lumbar lordotic saggital curve, it is a physiological curve that allows the lowerback to adequately distribute the load evenly along its intervertebral discs decreasing overall intervertebral disc pressure in the lower segments, it distributes the proper 1/3 to 2/3 loadbearing weight disyribution between the posterior facet joints and the disc joints respectively, it gives the lunbar area flexibility to absorb correctly the vibrations and axial loads while sitting, it avoids post sheer force of the disc opposing disc bulging, and I could go on deeper.

When you sit down on a seat that is lower to the ground, your lower extremities are then in an elevated position closer to your hip's height than on a higher seat, this is the case of a car seat or low sofa, as opposed to a chair. This position causes both more hip flexion and knee extension therefore stretching the hamstrings, the hamstring then pull on their insertion in the post inferior pelvis and cause the hip to tilt backwards into a less vertical position, this in turn forces the lower back to flex accordingly, and this flexion reduces the lumbar curve, and that is were the problem is as described in the first paragraph. 

The same thing happens when you tilt your backrest too much away from the vertical, the lumbar lordosis is reduced from lack of support.

This is the reason for the lumbar support car seats have, to push the lowback forward and maintain the lordorsis. This is also why the higher the seat the better for the lowback. Also why the more the knees are flexed the better (less hamstring tension, and in the case of sciatica, the less sciatic tension too) as long as its not at the expense of excessive hip flexion because then there is a point where you start to decrease the lordosis again.

Prolongued sitting with inadequate lumbar lordosis can lead to mechanical lowback pain through muscle strain, facet syndrome, etc as well as risk of eventually developing disc lesions such as sciatica, lumbar stenosis, etc. 

Bottom line, all the focus needs to be on the lumbar lordosis, all the adjustments to the seating position need be with that as the priority, all else will follow (except in the case of sitting in a car where you also need to take into account the driving position to operate the controls efficiently).

​​​

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

very impressive explanation ! tks kiss I will send it to my boss telling him that I will never drive his LT675 anymore indecision

BjoernB:

very impressive explanation ! tks kiss I will send it to my boss telling him that I will never drive his LT675 anymore indecision

Tell him I sacrifice myself to do the job for you. Smiley

--

Thanks for the explanation Carlos I had to read it a few times to fully understand what you said indecision

So with the seats in my 720 which do not had a lumbar adjustment should I be shoving some sort of  small cushion into that lumbar area to make sure the curve is kept in place ?

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688180 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408550 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255478 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234694 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65331 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857448 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773135 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM