Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How to get on a ferrari waitlist for the new F149

A few months ago I called my local Ferrari dealer in North Carolina and asked if it was possible to purchase a new Ferrari. ( I have never owned a ferrari)

I must admit I first asked if a Scuderia was available ( knowing full well that I would not be offered one) to
    understand the process. The salesman was straightforward and honest.

He first asked why I would choose the scuderia as my first ferrari ( I guess implying that you have to graduate within the ranks of ferrari to obtain such a car.) I simply thought this car was a better deal than the regular F430, and whats an extra 30k when you are potentially spending 200K.

Concerning the base F430 he stated that it would be out of production before he could get one due to the wait list and and that there is no process to for people like me to get on a wait list for the F430's replacement or the F149.

Instead he suggested I start out by purchasing a used ferrari 360 and joining their online forum. The only good news is that he stated since " you live in the dealers region it makes possible to purchase a car from them." ( at some point in the future at a dealer who does not have a wait list, ordering process or is taking deposits ) Then he went on to say how alot of customers had purchased a house in NC just to purchase a vehicle.

Bottom line there are apparently hundreds of people ahead of me to purchase this car and the F430's replacement but no waiting list and a process I don't understand. ( do you have to show income, how many houses or must you be invited or referred from an existing member? I know this subject has probably been beaten to death, however any insight would be appreciated. ( I even considered writing to their HQ just to see if they would respond, then I wondered if they blacklisted people. ) If this type of elitism is standard across ferrari then I probably will not be a future customer.

Re: How to get on a ferrari waitlist for the new F

this is what bothers me about Ferrari a lot. Their whole marketing and fake and under the table of selling their cars as if they're illegal drugs. I know there's a huge demand and limited production, but it can be done differently...

Im pretty sure your dealer will have a price at which all kinds of cars become available.. If i were you i wouldn't even bother with used ferrari's because well they're used..

I honestly don't know how one would get entry to the Ferrari world without previously owning a ferrari

My understanding on how Ferrari dealers work is unlike any other auto manufacturer I'm aware of.

When a new model is announced, the dealer principle gets an allocation from the factory. This gives him the opportunity to purchase X amount of these vehicles *directly* from the Ferrari factory. Other dealers, like BMW, get an allocation and buy their cars from the factory at a wholesale price and then sell it to the customer at MSRP, taking their profit there. With Ferrari dealers (maybe not all, I'm not sure), they buy the car from the factory and then the dealer principle (owner) actually gets a "commission" cheque from the factory. In essence, the owner of the dealer is the salesman and they are put in the position of being able to sell the cars to their *best* customers. It's a bizarre way of selling cars and I guess it leads to this elitist attitude.

How unfortunate and I can understand your dismay. If feel sorry for American's with aspirations to buy a Ferrari. It's a shame that you guys have to be victims the epitome of demand and supply. In Sweden there are a handful of F430s and 599s on the market and all of them are at the most on sales for 10-20% over MRSP, with options to bargain.

In the US and UK the situation is different, especially in California which is one of Ferrari's biggest market. The demand in the US exceeded the supply at least 3-6 times with many consumers having very high reserve prices. That places the dealers in a position every business dream of being in, the power to influence price. Sadly this creates a elitist market with favoritism giving the dealers power to select customers. The losers is obviously those who haven't spent years nurturing a relationship with a Ferrari dealer or have the financial means to pay 20-200% over MRSP without regretting it.

There's really not much one can do but to accept the situation.

Quote:
    GRN2RSMO said:
    Instead he suggested I start out by purchasing a used ferrari 360 and joining their online forum.

This is quite frankly ridiculous.

Quote:
    PinKchampagnE said:
    Quote:
    GRN2RSMO said:
    Instead he suggested I start out by purchasing a used ferrari 360 and joining their online forum.

This is quite frankly ridiculous.

He must be struggled to shift the 360...

Hire a Lambo for an hour, pull up on his forecourt, then see how he treats you when you ask to place an order for a new Ferrari.

Be warned though - you may like the Lambo so much you'll end up buying one of those instead... without any such problems!

Ferrari make some great cars, but this marketing technique stinks.

much easier in Europe.

You go to a dealer and just order a car! No market premium on an official way. Yes - you might have to wait a long time before that car will be delivered but you will get it.

Ferrari dealers should just sell the car with a markup, like any other dealer with a car valued at higher than MSRP would. Let the free market dictate the price. You want, it you pay for it. This forces the dealers to fight for more allocation. Which allows us more inventory. Which brings the price down. In the end, we have more people with Ferrari's and lower prices to purchase. The free market is your friend.

Today, there are too many games played at Ferrari dealerships. This is what happens when you try to fix prices. Long lines, rude, unresponsive service, arrogance. Elitism with the haves versus the have nots. Country club snobbery atmosphere. Watch out national health care. This is a preview.

Re: How to get on a ferrari waitlist for the new F149

You must understand the laws of limited supply. Ferrari does not make enough cars to meet demand. Their total is so low that many dealers are lucky to get two cars a month in allocation. For the dealer to survive he/she must turn used cars over most of which have been provided by a customer base. In other words, their inventory of cars come from customers they previously sold cars to.

For a new client to get a new model would mean the loyal prior customers would lose an allocation and the dealer would lose the profit from the sale of a used car turned in.

What you need to do is visit the dealership and make your case. More than likely it will require you buying a used model in their existing inventory. Factory dealerships may work differently but I doubt it. .

For those that knock Ferrari consider what is happening to the GT2 and RS in the US. Try and find one for MSRP from a dealer. It isn't going to happen. All dealers are asking 0ver 30% of MSRP. That is what limited production does to the supply/demand.

Sure, Porsche dealers may be charging over the recommended retail selling price for a GT3 (or some other highly desirable model in short supply), but at least you don't have to buy a car you don't even want just to get into the 'good books' of the dealer so that you can later on buy the GT2 or GT3 that you do really want to get...

The problem in my eyes, Nick, is that the 'justification' for the Ferrari selling practices in the USA helps dealers make a tidy profit but it happens, unfortunately, at the expense of customers who go through the hoops of buying cars they don't actually want just to qualify for cars that they do actually want.

I know you might think that this system (of turning over used cars multiple times) helps Ferrari dealers survive when they sell cars in such small numbers. But AFAIK this system doesn't happen in Europe and yet Ferrari dealers in Europe seem to survive just fine. So that argument IMHO doesn't have the weight that you might think it does.

It's okay for you Nick. You are already cherished and valued by your dealer. You're no doubt one of the first people he calls when he gets an allocation for a new model. So it doesn't surprise me that you would defend this status quo. But, I'm neutral here. I am not a Ferrari customer nor am I planning to be one so I'm offering a bystander's opinion here.

One other disadvantage for you. Your dealer also depends on you turning your relatively new car back into him so he can flip it over a few more times. What if you really fall in love with a particular car and want to keep it as part of your collection? He will like you a little less, surely, because by keeping the car, you are depriving him of potential future commission on subsequent sales. All you would give him is the commission he will make on another new car you might buy from him. Another customer would give him that anyway PLUS the commission from flipping over a car that that other customer doesn't want to keep (whereas you do).

I definitely agree totally with SoCal Alan's depiction of the kind of consequences this system can lead to: the games, rudeness, arrogance, unresponsiveness, elitism etc etc. I get that sometimes when I walk into a designer shop to buy something. Salesmen that can't personally afford what they are selling but who think they can look down on you. I hate that and I never let a salesman ever forget that I am their customer and that they should value my business.

My Dealer told me straight out - They: "only sell new models to existing customers"

One hint - A lot depends on what you have to offer them on trade. They're not interested in just selling you a car at msrp, they want to buy a great example from you in trade so they can make a nice marke-up on the car selling it to a new buyer AND also sell you a new car. Twice the profit, twice the amount of customers. So many times they dont have lists because it's meaningless/depends on what kind of car you have in trade/miles at the time down the road. The hard part is already owning something that they can re-sell & make a nice profit on. Ferrari dealerships couldnt survive if it didnt work on this double dip concept, they just dont have enough new cars to sell.

For the record I've had nothing but the absoloute best experience with my Ferrrai dealer even from the very start so they're not all snobs. Some people just arent used to being told no especially when they have the money to buy anything they want.

It really has nothing to do w/ "elitism". The dealers reward regular customers that they have relationships with. How would you feel if you were a frequent customer that has spent millions at a dealership & bought 5,6, 10 cars from the same dealer over the years but then told you cant have the 430's replacement because 'Joe Schmo' just walked into the dealership and got his first Ferrari because he asked for it first?

It's the only way to insure loyal customers get treated fairly. Do some potential new customers miss out? Sure but maintaning satisfaction of loyal customers & also bringing in larger profit for the dealership is more important, actually vital for their survival. Believe me if any other car manufacturer could do business this way, they would too. You have to understand it also ensures that they know who they are doing business with. Lets say they totally changed their internal policy to allow anyone/the first people walking into the dealership to buy a new 430/new model at MSRP............... How many/what % of those people do you think would simply do so just to flip the car immediately for a profit? See what I mean? Then all the real Ferrari/car guys that wanted to enjoy the car would miss out & everyone just looking to flip a car for a buck would be the winners. That would really suck.

Every Ferrari built already has a customer that has personally spec.'d it & the majority have waited a long time to do so even regular customers at a dealership. It's not like other manufactures where dealerships buy cars for stock.

The best thing to do is build a relationship w/ the dealer & be patient. Buy something to start off the relationship, it's not like you're going to take a big financial hit on a used 360. If not, someone else will & no hard feelings.

My local dealer (same as STRADALE I think) has been nothing but nice and very open to discussion, even on the "tricky" points. They actually call you back and treat you like a real costumer. But they have limited allocations and will not sell you a new car at MSRP unless you are a previous customer. They key is to find something they might have that fits the bill for you, not always above MSRP. They really are looking for people who like cars to drive them, not as status symbol or investments. They would like you to get involved with the local car community. This is the type of people they will sell the new cars to. So now I understand better why they won't sell one to someone who just walks in. Paying over MSRP is a no no in my book, even for Porsches.

Dealer promised me a F149 for next year, but I am not sure it will happen. I might not get it anyway, I am in 612 heaven right now

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    My local dealer (same as STRADALE I think) has been nothing but nice and very open to discussion, even on the "tricky" points. They actually call you back and treat you like a real costumer. But they have limited allocations and will not sell you a new car at MSRP unless you are a previous customer. They key is to find something they might have that fits the bill for you, not always above MSRP. They really are looking for people who like cars to drive them, not as status symbol or investments. They would like you to get involved with the local car community. This is the type of people they will sell the new cars to. So now I understand better why they won't sell one to someone who just walks in. Paying over MSRP is a no no in my book, even for Porsches.

Dealer promised me a F149 for next year, but I am not sure it will happen. I might not get it anyway, I am in 612 heaven right now

Does sound like my dealer. Ferrari of Long Island?

You're right on the money about them wanting to sell cars to people that are going to enjoy them & not just for flipping or to sell for a profit. They want to sell cars to guys that will get involved in their Rally's etc. I didnt even realize what I was doing but I was so obsessed w/ getting a car that I went to a few of their car shows just to check out the cars & I met the Sales Manager, one thing led to another & next thing you know I had a new Challenge Stradale (my spec) at MSRP. Traded in the CS to the dealer after 2 yrs, made a little $ on the car & got my New F430 at MSRP. Once you're in the loop for new cars at MSRP there's nothing more fun.

Greg, as always, you say it much better than I do.

I have no doubt every member on this board would do the same if they owned a Ferrari dealership. FWIW, my dealer has NEVER misled or broke a promise to me. When they say you will have such and such in 6 months or whatever they have always met their commitment.

Regarding the GT2 and Gt3 you should read some of the stories on other Porsche site where customers who have purchased several Porsches from the same dealer were screwed when the put a deposit on a gt2 or 3 and later told they would not get them because it was sold to someone willing to pay an exorbitant price for the car.

Finally, let me give you a life lesson. If you want something bad enough you can get it if you are patient, singleminded and persistent. I don't let things happen to me. I make things happen for me.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Does sound like my dealer. Ferrari of Long Island?

You're right on the money about them wanting to sell cars to people that are going to enjoy them & not just for flipping or to sell for a profit. They want to sell cars to guys that will get involved in their Rally's etc. I didnt even realize what I was doing but I was so obsessed w/ getting a car that I went to a few of their car shows just to check out the cars & I met the Sales Manager, one thing led to another & next thing you know I had a new Challenge Stradale (my spec) at MSRP. Traded in the CS to the dealer after 2 yrs, made a little $ on the car & got my New F430 at MSRP. Once you're in the loop for new cars at MSRP there's nothing more fun.

Ah, that pic again. I know it's a Ferrari thread, but your Turbo looks great!

If you live in the USA on the east coast and have the means & time, try to get your car through Shelton Ferrari of Ft Lauderdale if you are having problems with attitudes. They are INCREDIBLY thoughtful nice people who are NOT snobs in any way shape or form. If you want a certain Ferrari anything from an Enzo, F40 ect ect they will work to find you one.

BTW, the last time I was there they had 2 Enzos on the floor 1 red 1 yellow. 1 F50 in the garage getting brakes put on, another Enzo in the garage getting an oil change & a McLaren F1 on the floor.

Ferrari treats their loyal customers much better than Porsche because they are used to having this supply/demand problem and know who to serve first.

I'd spent well over 500k at one dealership in 5 years - that would be 5 cars at a Porsche dealer... Always did my service there, always bought parts there even though both of us knew I could source them cheaper elsewhere.

When the 997 GT3 RS came, as was mentioned above, two different Joe schmoe's who were NEW to porsche walked in and paid 60k over- that took care of the only two the dealer was getting. Sad, and really made me stray from Porsche.

I didn't even get a call from my Porsche dealer to come and try the 997TT when they knew I wanted one after buying 3 new cars in four years... Sad.

Is this a US only thing?? Has anyone in the UK experienced this? I'm placed a (small) deposit with Meridien of Lyndhurst back in 04 for the F149 ... no sign of them bumping me down the list yet... never owned a Ferrari before, but might have been helped that one of their sales guys had recently moved from the Porsche dealership that I'd purchased cars from previously. I suppose the crunch will come when the car is officially launched....

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    but might have been helped that one of their sales guys had recently moved from the Porsche dealership that I'd purchased cars from previously.

julian Esposti? He still there?

Don't know about Julian, but it was Jason I dealt with getting into the 'queue' - hopefully won't get mucked around now he's left

It's only a US thing for sure, it's easy as pie to acquire a ferrari in Europe (lol nick)... I think it's Ferrari's way to respond to the weak dollar, by diverting most of their production to europe.

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    It's only a US thing for sure, it's easy as pie to acquire a ferrari in Europe (lol nick)... I think it's Ferrari's way to respond to the weak dollar, by diverting most of their production to europe.

Can you just walk into a UK dealer and order a new car, e.g. 430 or it's replacement? I didn't think it was that easy...?

Yes you can, but there's still a long waiting list if you want a factory order, but I don't think you get 'bumped' in quite the same way as in the US (I'm sure it happens to a degree - for example I know when I was getting one of my Porsches the dealer 'found' me an earlier build slot as I was a repeat customer, but I think that was offering me a cancelled order, over and above the next people in the queue)

That said I think some of the dealers pre-order cars as they know they'll sell them - for example to the city traders who want to spend their bonuses then, not wait... so I know of one dealer that got a couple of 599s in for exactly that reason

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Don't know about Julian, but it was Jason I dealt with getting into the 'queue' - hopefully won't get mucked around now he's left

So is this instead of the AMV8 convertible or afterwards? Sounds like the job situation sorted itself out for you anyway I can see a meet coming on when my friend from Chichester gets his 997 turbo in September....

Just confirms what I already knew - I'm in the wrong job.

This was meant to be after the AMV8 conv, but the way the AM residuals have gone think I may skip that one.

Job has sorted itself out.. for now... deffo on for a meet - 123d BMW vs Golf GTi???

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    This was meant to be after the AMV8 conv, but the way the AM residuals have gone think I may skip that one.

Job has sorted itself out.. for now... deffo on for a meet - 123d BMW vs Golf GTi???

Yup, up for that whenever as it'll be good to see you both again - I'll send you a PM as I'm sure we'll get blackballed if we mention ordinary cars for mortals on the Ferrari Board

Nick and Greg-

when you sell back your MSRP Ferrari to the dealership, are you getting market price for it, like any used car sold to a dealership? Or are you expected to return the car back at MSRP.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Nick and Greg-

when you sell back your MSRP Ferrari to the dealership, are you getting market price for it, like any used car sold to a dealership? Or are you expected to return the car back at MSRP.

Alan they sell the car for market but also get a commission on the sale. It can vary from 7-10%.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Nick and Greg-

Alan they sell the car for market but also get a commission on the sale. It can vary from 7-10%.

But do you get back close to market when the dealer buys back your MSRP Ferrari?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804405 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448864 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266560 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90242 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6859 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886290 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834875 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM