Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Fastest Pikes Peaks climb

Lord_Driftalot:

... but today it's just a nice street

With no guardrails and an 8,000 ft drop frown

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

And 150 or so corners that most of them looks exactly the same.

Got some tips from David Donohue already, (go play video game to memorize the corners)

Jeff Zwart is going be on hand to do some coaching. PMNA will be on hand for support.

I only have 2 goals, don't fall off the mountain and try. not to finish last.

Funniest thing though, One don't need a race license t race up the hill, but a valid driver's license.................

--

"Volkswagen ID R electric prototype revealed ahead of 2018 Pikes Peak"

(19 March 2018)

Volkswagen has revealed the four-wheel-drive, electric-powered prototype being developed by its motorsport division that it will run on the 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in June.

Christened the ID R Pikes Peak, the car has been conceived to display the performance capabilities of modern-day electric drive systems, acting as a high-tech spearhead for a range of new electric-powered ID road cars that are due to begin production at VW’s Zwickau factory in Germany from the end of 2019.

A series of computer-generated images released by VW on Monday show that the pure-electric coupé takes on the appearance of a modern-day Le Mans prototype, with an aerodynamic package that includes a sizeable front splitter, centre fin extending over the rear bodywork - that appears to help support the car’s huge rear wing - and a multi-channel diffuser element.  

The release of the images follows initial confirmation by VW in October last year that it had began development of a new car for Pikes Peak.  

“We want to be at the forefront of electro mobility with the ID family," said VW R&D boss Frank Welsch. “Competing in the most famous hill climb in the world with the ID R Pikes Peak not only has symbolic meaning but is also a valuable test for the general development of electric cars.”

Welsch, who is also responsible for the development of the upcoming range of ID electric road models, says the ID R Pikes Peak is equipped with “innovative drive and battery technology”.

Although VW is keeping quiet about technical details of the ID R Pikes Peak’s driveline, the car is expected to use two electric motors – one for each axle in a four-wheel drive set-up, mirroring the design being developed for production versions of the company's ID Crozz, ID Buzz and ID Vizzion concept cars.

Electricity used to drive the motors is planned to come from a large lithium-ion battery that insiders suggest will use contemporary cell technology similar to that planned for VW’s pure-electric road cars.

VW suggests the ID R Pikes Peak represents the “first step in an intensification of the co-operation between Volkswagen R and Volkswagen Motorsport” in a move that could see future electric-powered ID models receive sporting R treatment.  

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, also known as the Race to the Clouds, is a 12.42-mile route near Colorado Springs in the US. The starting point is situated at an altitude of 2800 metres above sea level, with the finishing point at 4300 metres.

The current electric car prototype class record of 8min 57.118sec is held by Rhys Millen in a Toyota-sponsored prototype in 2016.

Le Mans 24 Hours race winner Romain Dumas, who took overall Pikes Peak victories in 2014, '16 and '17 in a Norma M20D, will drive the ID R Pikes Peak.

VW last entered Pikes Peak in 1987 with a dual-engine Golf producing 652bhp. 

Link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-id-r-electric-prototype-revealed-ahead-2018-pikes-peak

That's one scary ride. I know this much, I wouldn't have the balls to do it. Life is short enough as it is.enlightened

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

nberry:

That's one scary ride. I know this much, I wouldn't have the balls to do it. Life is short enough as it is.enlightened

+1 , I think you all remember mitsubishi lancer accident there.

Oh and if I had to drive it, I would not have a problem being last.

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

nberry:

Oh and if I had to drive it, I would not have a problem being last.

I'm looking forward to just driving it as a normal road (is usually open to public) - views should be spectacular (can see all the way to Kansas to the East and lots of 14,000 ft peaks to the West)...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

It's high on my list to drive (not compete) too. First IoMTT though...

Hopefully I will survive the run and write something after 

--

Whoopsy:

Nick, I don't need to say it but I will. Don't do anything stupid. Pikes Peak run is not for the faint of heart (which I have).Smiley

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:
    Whoopsy:

Nick, I don't need to say it but I will. Don't do anything stupid. Pikes Peak run is not for the faint of heart (which I have).Smiley

Hehe. Yeah I don't think I can do anything stupid. While I don't know the road, I do know my car very well so I know where the limit of the car and myself will be.

it will be a fun experience, fun and scary and exciting to be exact. Not many got a chance to do it.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:

Hehe. Yeah I don't think I can do anything stupid. While I don't know the road, I do know my car very well so I know where the limit of the car and myself will be.

it will be a fun experience, fun and scary and exciting to be exact. Not many got a chance to do it.

One thing that will help keep you safe is that your car will have less than 200hp at the top.  One of the reasons that Turbos and Electrics are popular there...

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

"Volkswagen ID R electric prototype revealed ahead of 2018 Pikes Peak"

(19 March 2018)

Volkswagen has revealed the four-wheel-drive, electric-powered prototype being developed by its motorsport division that it will run on the 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in June.

Christened the ID R Pikes Peak, the car has been conceived to display the performance capabilities of modern-day electric drive systems, acting as a high-tech spearhead for a range of new electric-powered ID road cars that are due to begin production at VW’s Zwickau factory in Germany from the end of 2019.

A series of computer-generated images released by VW on Monday show that the pure-electric coupé takes on the appearance of a modern-day Le Mans prototype, with an aerodynamic package that includes a sizeable front splitter, centre fin extending over the rear bodywork - that appears to help support the car’s huge rear wing - and a multi-channel diffuser element.  

The release of the images follows initial confirmation by VW in October last year that it had began development of a new car for Pikes Peak.  

“We want to be at the forefront of electro mobility with the ID family," said VW R&D boss Frank Welsch. “Competing in the most famous hill climb in the world with the ID R Pikes Peak not only has symbolic meaning but is also a valuable test for the general development of electric cars.”

Welsch, who is also responsible for the development of the upcoming range of ID electric road models, says the ID R Pikes Peak is equipped with “innovative drive and battery technology”.

Although VW is keeping quiet about technical details of the ID R Pikes Peak’s driveline, the car is expected to use two electric motors – one for each axle in a four-wheel drive set-up, mirroring the design being developed for production versions of the company's ID Crozz, ID Buzz and ID Vizzion concept cars.

Electricity used to drive the motors is planned to come from a large lithium-ion battery that insiders suggest will use contemporary cell technology similar to that planned for VW’s pure-electric road cars.

VW suggests the ID R Pikes Peak represents the “first step in an intensification of the co-operation between Volkswagen R and Volkswagen Motorsport” in a move that could see future electric-powered ID models receive sporting R treatment.  

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, also known as the Race to the Clouds, is a 12.42-mile route near Colorado Springs in the US. The starting point is situated at an altitude of 2800 metres above sea level, with the finishing point at 4300 metres.

The current electric car prototype class record of 8min 57.118sec is held by Rhys Millen in a Toyota-sponsored prototype in 2016.

Le Mans 24 Hours race winner Romain Dumas, who took overall Pikes Peak victories in 2014, '16 and '17 in a Norma M20D, will drive the ID R Pikes Peak.

VW last entered Pikes Peak in 1987 with a dual-engine Golf producing 652bhp. 

Link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-id-r-electric-prototype-revealed-ahead-2018-pikes-peak

"Volkswagen ID R Pikes Peak" (Autocar)

(22 April 2018)

Volkswagen has revealed the 671bhp ID R Pikes Peak electric-powered prototype that it will use on the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in June.

The machine, which has been designed solely for the 12.42-mile, 156-turn Colorado hill climb, features two electric motors that combine to produce permanent four-wheel-drive and offer 470lb ft of torque. The ID R Pikes Peak weighs 1100kg, including driver Roman Dumas, with Volkswagen claiming a 0-62mph time of 2.25 seconds and a top speed of 149mph.

Volkswagen is gearing up to launch the ID range of electric road cars starting in 2019. The firm’s development boss, Frank Welsch, described the Pikes Peak event as a “real acid test” for the firm’s electric programme.

“Customers have always benefitted from the findings made in motorsport, and we expect to take these findings and use them as a valuable impetus for the development of future ID models,” said Welsch.

Volkswagen says that the focus of the ID R Pikes Peak is not on outright performance, but on balancing energy capacity and weight. The machine is powered by lithium ion batteries developed in collaboration with Volkswagen’s battery plant in Braunschweig, Germany, although the focus is on ensuring the highest possible power output for the run up the Colorado mountain, rather than outright range. Volkswagen says that around 20% of the energy used by the ID R Pikes Peak will be created using energy recovery during braking on the course.

The ID R Pikes Peak has been developed by the firm’s motorsport division. Sven Smeets, Volkswagen’s motorsport chief, hinted that it could be the first of several EV projects, saying: “As with the Volkswagen brand’s production vehicles, fully electric racing cars will also play an increasingly important role for us in the future.”

The ID R Pikes Peak was launched at the Pole Mecanique circuit in Ales, France, shortly before starting a test programme there. Because the Pikes Peak course is a public road, participants are unable to test there ahead of the event – and even in official practice only get to run on short sections.

Volkswagen is targeting the record for an electric car at Pikes Peak of 8min 57.118secs by Rhys Millen in a Drive e0 PP100 in 2016. That car featured six electric motors, and offered peak power of 1596bhp.

The outright Pikes Peak course record of 8min 13.878secs was set by Sebastien Loeb in the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak in 2013.

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, which takes place on June 24 this year, is regarded as one of the toughest hill climbs in the world. As well as the 156 turns on its 12.42-mile route, competitors must also cope with the elevation: the start line is 9390 feet above sea level, and rises 4720ft to the finish at a height of 14,110ft. The course gradient averages 7.2%.

Volkswagen previously competed at Pikes Peak between 1985 and 1987, with Jochi Kleint running a twin-engined Golf. That car had turbocharged 1.8-litre engines driving each axle, giving a peak output of 652hp. Kleint was the fastest driver to the halfway point in 1987, but retired with a suspension joint failure less than a mile from the finish.

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-pikes-peak/volkswagen-id-r-pikes-peak-671bhp-electric-prototype-launched

"VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know..." (Car magazine)

VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know VW ID R Pikes Peak: everything you need to know

► VW Pikes Peak electric car
    ► Trying to beat EV record in 2018 

(22 May 2018)

Volkswagen is set to take on the Pikes Peak hillclimb in 2018, but it’s using an all-electric racing car to do it. Called the ID R Pikes Peak, after the company’s family of electric ID concept cars, the electric racer promises to have performance comparable to a Formula E car.

Specs and performance figures have been scarce until now, but VW has just released interesting insight about the development of the car. With that in mind, here’s everything we know about VW’s electric hillclimber.

VW ID R Pikes Peak: aerodynamics

From the outside, the ID R Pikes Peak looks like an LMP1 or LMP2 car – but unlike those prototypes, VW’s car will reach a top speed of just 149mph – much less then it’s actually capable of. That means engineers have been able to pile on the downforce without worrying about reducing top speed. ‘We concentrated mainly on achieving optimal cornering speeds,’ said François-Xavier Demaison, technical director at Volkswagen Motorsport. 'The entire chassis is designed to generate as much downforce as possible, without causing too much aerodynamic drag.’

Unlike F1 or WEC, the Pikes Peak hillclimb has relatively loose regulations, and that’s also given VW far more scope to design in extra downforce. And it’ll need it, because as the altitude of the course increases, air density lowers, and the downforce generated at any given speed is also reduced.

‘The altitude on Pikes Peak means that the air we are driving through is on average 35% thinner,’ explains Willy Rampf, technical consultant to the project. ‘As a result, we lose 35% of our downforce compared to a racetrack at sea level. The huge rear wing allows us to compensate for some of this lost downforce.’

As you’d expect from a VW Group project, the ID R Pikes Peak project also had a little help from VW’s friends in Weissach. Most of the aerodynamics of the car were proven in the Porsche development centre, and more than 2000 parts were printed to be tested in the wind tunnel.

VW ID R Pikes Peak: engine and cooling

VW says the ID R Pikes Peak will put out 500kW, or 671bhp, but will only tip the scales at 1100kg. That means it’ll be able to hit 0-62mph in just 2.25 seconds, and should be on track for beating the existing Pikes Peak record of 8min 57.118sec for electric cars.

Most of the car’s outward appearance is shaped by aerodynamics, and the rest is down to cooling. Interestingly though, VW says the car’s twin electric motors don’t require anything like the same amount of cooling as a similarly powerful combustion engine. However, because of the changing density of the air, the inlets will still be bigger than needed at sea-level.

Pikes Peak hillclimb: a history lesson

VW last took on Pikes Peak in 1987 with a twin-engined Mk2 Golf. The ID R Pikes Peak will be piloted by three-time Pikes Peak winner and double Le Mans 24hr winner Romain Dumas, and you’ll be able to watch him try and beat the EV Pikes Peak record on 24 June 2018.

‘Volkswagen’s goal is to reach the pinnacle of electromobility with the ID family. As such, Volkswagen’s involvement on Pikes Peak not only sets the trend for our future in motorsport, but is also of great symbolic significance in the truest sense,' said Volkswagen’s Dr Frank Welsch R&D supremo. ‘The hill climb on Pikes Peak will definitely be a real acid test for the electric drive.’

Link: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/volkswagen/volkswagen-pikes-peak-electric-prototype-2018-pics-and-details/

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8917.JPG

IMG_8918.JPG

Pikes Peak week has officially started!

--

Hope to be there this weekend. 

Looks promising ! 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Pikes Peak leaves one breathless. 

Be safe Nick.kiss

Jacques had driven your car (and I had touched it).  You know it is now faster than all the other GT4s. indecision

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Jacques was never fast   , just lucky to have fast cars angry

--

Whoopsy:

IMG_8917.JPG

Pikes Peak week has officially started!

Interesting door number given our pending legislation. Pure coincidence? Smiley

Gnil:

its all relative, let's just say he is faster than all of us here on any given track with the same car Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

JF told me you were running number 420. I thought he was joking. Very cheeky. Have fun. 

Lucky to be in fast cars, yes. But he won Indy 500, Indy champion & F1 champion. Those are huge in isolation, combined... wow. 

Targa Tim:
    Gnil:

its all relative, let's just say he is faster than all of us here on any given track with the same car Smiley

I' ll fully agree with that Smiley  Unless there is an ex F1 driver hidden behind one of RT' s avatar Smiley

--

Too bad he did not win LeMans. 

Gnil:
    Targa Tim:
    Gnil:

I' ll fully agree with that Smiley  Unless there is an ex F1 driver hidden behind one of RT' s avatar Smiley

you mean RC?Smiley

--

Tim

The VW IDR unofficially broke the record by 15 sec. today. Did it in under 8.min. NO official time yet but will be posted tomorrow.

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

7:57.148

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM