Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official: New Porsche Carrera T

Porsche-Jeck:

Sorry to disturb with some T-content Smiley

Nice surprise today - my car arrived two weeks before schedule at the OPC - from order to delivery exactly 5 weeks + 1 day: wow, whole new P experience for me Smiley  Can't wait to get behind the steering wheel Smiley

IMG_3361.JPG

Great choice of color PJ, says our twins Smiley

2CE06090-D7E0-4351-A8BB-5106D31164D4.jpeg

Looking forward hearing more about your driving impressions. Enjoy! 

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Great looking car, but what really does it for me in the interior. Everything from me being fed up with leather to the smaller details on the door straps etc. Enjoy the car wink

nberry:

Is that a sun roof on your car?

Yes it is, Nick. I know it goes against PC (Porsche Correctness Smiley) but the Mrs. and the dog like fresh air plus the nice T-interior may come a bit more alive with some sunbeams Smiley

@ bluelines: hahaha, very cute - your boys have great taste SmileySmiley

@ Gnil: Route Napoleon + Paul Ricard = drivers heaven Smiley

Was at the OPC today joining the 70th P-birthday party and the salesguy was begging me on his knees not to have a look at the car already because he wants to make the pick-up a special event: very hard to not have a look but I didn't want to spoil the party, hence I complied Smiley As we don't have the rear seats in the dog compartment they are so nice to install a seatbelt lock so that we can properly secure the four footer Smiley The Mrs already ordered some seatbelt cushions (as used for the sixpoint racing belts) for the dog-belt from Schroth in black/yellow - also found a dog cover in black with yellow surround Smiley

Will pick up the car next Thursday and then go for a prolongued break-in weekend on some nice curvy countryroads in the mountains - will let you know my initial impressions then Smiley

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

AP911:

Congrats to both of you on the T. I've seen it in person and the whole package is nicely executed. The fabric seats with the yellow stitching and yellow door handles are very nice. It is a bit expensive though, not much ($20-30k) between it and the GT3. 

Thanks AP911 Smiley Over here the difference was actually more like 50k EUR when I tried to build comparable specs and considered the discount for the T, not available for the GT3. 

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

RC:
    Porsche-Jeck:
    RC:

Congrats...yes...yellow...great color for the T. Smiley Smiley

Thanks RC, more yellow to come once I take some pics of the interior SmileySmiley

Smiley

Finally some more yellow content Smiley

Ooooops, wrong colour Smiley

pres-rear.jpg pres-front.jpg

--

Here for the real yellow - sorry for unprofessional IPhone pics of a somewhat dirty car: seems to be in line with the Porsche marketing stuff on the T though and I was focussing on driving over the weekend rather than photographing.Smiley

Will make some nicer pics of the clean car over the next couple of weeks.

g5.jpg 1529321064362g1.jpg 1529321064369g2.jpg

--

Very nice place to be Smiley

door-open.jpg door-closed.jpg door-panel.jpg

--

Many congrats to a beautiful car! kisswink

--

Congratulations Achim! kiss

Where's the photo with the dog inside ? indecision

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Thanks, guys Smiley @ Gauss - you beat me to it: saw your post right after uploading the dog pic Smiley

The PZ was so nice to install a perfect belt for our four footer though we opted for the rear seats delete version - as they used some kind of minimum invasion surgery it looks subtle and almost like a CXX option Smiley BTW they charged....nothing, nada for this fine service Smiley

More important of course is that the user is happy with his new mobile doghouse Smiley

e-sec.jpg e2.jpg e1.jpg

--

Very nice car indeed, congrats. Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

How does it compare to the GT3? Would love to hear your view on that wink Few people on this board have such extensive experience as you. Thanks in advance! kiss

--

bluelines:

How does it compare to the GT3? Would love to hear your view on that wink Few people on this board have such extensive experience as you. Thanks in advance! kiss

I assume you mean Porsche-Jeck...I haven't driven the T yet. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Now for some first driving impressions: I did close to 650 km over the weekend, mostly twisty country roads while the balance on the Autobahn to cover some ground to the twisties more rapid.

Engine: as the small turbos spool up a bit faster as in the bigger turboed GTS (my reference point for the 991.2), the engine's responsiveness feels even more "NA" as in the GTS - very nice Smiley Same goes if you lift your right foot (which of course you should never do anyway in the first place Smiley) Though as I am still breaking in the car I can't yet tell what happens > 4k rpm or > 0.7 bar boost. Having said that I am already sure that I do not need more engine on any twisty country road (I prefer a flow there rather than a point & shoot driving style). For Autobahn driving I reserve my opinion for after break-in - anyway it was kind of funny that you can break in the car with a cruising speed of 235 km/h still complying with the break-in rules thanks to the long geared 7th gear Smiley

Gearbox: As low end torque pushes the car nicely forward at country road speed I actually have to hurry up with upshifting (at least as long as I don't push beyond 4k rpm) so that I do actually grab the shifter more often as in the 3.8 NA Spyder - sounds strange, doesn't it ? And here comes the 7 manual gear box into play: I absolutely love it Smiley It does not feel as mechanical as in the 997 GT3 or in the 981 Spyder but nontheless super precise Smiley

It took me 200 km or so to get familiar with 5-6-7 and retour but once you've got the hack of it it works like a charm Smiley

Steering: compared to the very first version of the electronically assisted steering (991.1 and 981) the actual version is much better providing much more feel and information on what the front axle is doing (not as telepathic as in the 997 GT3 but still very fine) Smiley

SPASM: also here the system actually feels more "analogue" or natural compared to the early PASM versions (SPASM in the T actually reminds me a bit of the -20mm analogue sport suspension in the 997.1): the car does not show any understeering at turn-in at spirited yet not overdoing speed and really zooms quite neutral through corners. As my memory of a prolonged test drive in a 991.2 GTS Cab (RWD, PDK) is rather fresh yet I'd definitely say the T corners better and more planted (probably due to both SPASM - which is not available for the Cab and due to lower weight - which is also not available for the Cab Smiley). As I am still in break in mode familiarising myself with the car I didn't try any crazy thing in the corners, and the dog stayed relaxed at 0.8 g Smiley Highspeed cornering at the Autobahn (well, only for those regarding 235 km/h as highspeed already..) is superb as the car is so super planted and provides tons of confidence - maybe the T will even make me regain a little bit the fun in Autobahn driving which I lost somewhat over the last couple of years...

Engine Sound/Exhaust Sound: coming from a 997 GT3 and 981 Spyder I may skip this chapter.Smiley....nooo, just kidding of course Smiley Actually no big surprises here after having driven the 991.2 GTS cars - good for me that I can open the Pano roof letting in a bit more sound (in Sport mode the burbles, in Sport+ more of the turbo twitter Smiley ) Anyway the sound is so much nicer compared to the 4-pot noise and the Mrs. already stated that she'll prefer the T to any other car for weekend trips or long distance trips.

Fuel Economy: exactly 11 l/100 km seems o.k. to me and should be 3-4 L less as with the 981Spyder at similar speed.

Pano Roof/Sound System+: the roof works like a charm and adds nicely to the experience up to about 130 km/h (must have for the Mrs who hates aircon on longer trips but also does not like to lower the side windos).The sound system actually is better than the BOSE in the Boxster but I don't care much of music in a car anyway.

Racing Yellow and T-Interior: we have been a bit hesitant to order a P in Racing Yellow as we already have a Porsche with pop paint, but I must say the RY together with the somwhat retro T interior in yellow is just very very nice - looks much better IRL compared to pics though Smiley

Love the view of the Racing Yellow reflecting in the Agate mirror cap Smiley Car needs a wash now Smiley

mirror.jpg bugs.jpg

--

bluelines:

How does it compare to the GT3? Would love to hear your view on that wink 

Well I'd love to drive the actual 991.2 GT3 for comparison purposes though didn't have the chance to do so yet unfortunately.

The german version of Evocars tested the 991 lineup in the Alps recently and concluded that (except for the sound) they'd prefer the T on alpine passroads.

My "old" 997 GT3 (MY 2007) is equipped with some track oriented mods (such as KW suspension, single mass fly wheel and shorter gearing) hence a comparison is somewhat difficult. But when I try to recall the GT3 without the mods I'd say the T is a different animal in feel (less raw, less loud obviously) but probably quite close in performance (there is a track test in the recent Auto Motor Sport issue which had the T at Sachsenring faster than R8 RWS and M4 Competition....). As for driving fun / driver involvement I'd say what Porsche has taken away in this department from the 718 (compared to the 981) did they add back to the 991 in the T (and also in the GTS) if compared to a 991.1 S PDK as a reference point at the other end of the scale...

--

Sounds great, Achim!  And I really like the cloth interior kiss

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

If I would replace my 997 DD I would probably order the T at the moment .

Thanks . I am positively surprised you like the gear box so much . I have only read of a few who liked the manual 7 speed PDK box. But good to know !

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Nice write up, congrats!

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Hi Achim Smiley

many thanks for posting such a detailed and interesting initial review of your magnificent new T. Good news that Porsche have built such a great drivers car now that the days of N/A engines are dead, so true your comments that the appeal has gone from the 718 Boxster and Cayman - for sure our current 981 Boxster GTS is our last of this range having had four now plus the 997 Carrera S. Smiley

991 Carrera GTS or indeed the T are the only models attractive to us now - SWMBO always prefers the 991 although I think it unlikely we’ll actually go for another Porsche - we always planned our current one to be a keeper and now early retirement brings other priorities! Smiley
    --

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

Thanks, guys kiss 

@ Grant: the cloth seats are very good indeed - comfy and supportive enough at the same time. With earlier leather versions of the Sport+ seats I sometimes had the issue that after a long drive I felt a lack of leg support - not so in the T though I guess the dimension/size did not change. Maybe that just the different material and padding (no seat heating) helped already...

@ Gnil: yes I am aware of the frequent criticism regarding the 7speed box, though I think it related more to the 991.1 version (which I cannot compare to as never driven). Some friends with 991.2 GTS manual cars are also happy with the box, hence I guess Porsche (or ZF for that matter) applied some improvements to the 991.2 version - the bulk of the journos also were positive some even claiming that the box is just a tiny bit less engaging / precise than the GT3 box.

@ DC - yes, for quite a number of us midengine lovers with the arrival of the 718 it means "up or out"....your 981 GTS is a wonderful car and worth keeping, but if SWMBO prefers the 991.....smiley And yes, priorities may change with your well deserved retirement, but the P bug won't go away wink

--

I was not aware that the .2 box has been improved . Good to know as it opens the door for that option :-)

I will be at the Ring end of August , maybe I'll see you round ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

I will be at the Ring end of August , maybe I'll see you round ? 

Would be great to meet up - let's PM/call Smiley

Talking about track: not so bad result for the T (latest issue of Auto Motor Sport): T was 1392 kg only, Audi and BMW > 1620 kg.

E872DD7D-1B4B-4A85-9FC9-CFA66B869ACD.jpg

--

Excellent report! The T seems to provide agility, comfort and performance at a terrific price.kiss

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

The R8 RWS is certainly no lightweight, it is actually (I think) 20-40kg heavier than my R8 V10 Plus with AWD. Smiley 

Audi used this car as a marketing ploy, not a serious track tool (which is sad because they could have easily done that).

Porsche did a fine job in trying to keep the weight low on the 911 T. I still think they could have done more but considering their margin gain policy Smiley, I think they've done a terrific job with the T.

--

Porsche-Jeck's  expert impressions prove that "less is more" with the right car.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Awesome car, PJ! Congratulations and many thanks for your detailed driving impressions. Would love to see you, the lady, the dog and the car some time soon. 

Smiley

Gnil:

I was not aware that the .2 box has been improved . Good to know as it opens the door for that option :-)

If my memory serves me correctly, the box was significantly improved starting with the 991.1 GTS models. Therefore PJ´s comment about his friends driving that particular model and being happy with the manual is in line with that.

nberry:

Excellent report! The T seems to provide agility, comfort and performance at a terrific price.kiss

Thanks Nick: yes, that sums it up nicely Smiley

I am astonished how re-shuffling and finetuning of components from the shelf can create so much more driver involvement (compared to a 991.1 S PDK, which feels kind of numb in comparison) Smiley

@ RC: yes, they could have done even more to the T, but then marketing would have had a hard time where to put the pricepoint in the 991 line up Smiley Talking about marketing: I now have an idea why they build the T for 7 months only and why the marketing campagne for the car was a bit "discrete": if they would have launched the T earlier I am sure it would have cannibalized CarreraS sales (not so good for the margins...) Smiley

@ Ferdie: actually I was referring to buddies owning the 991.2 GTS with the 7speed, but I think you are right that Porsche already improved the box in the 991.1 GTS models. And yes, the Mrs. and the dog would be delighted to say hello and "wuff" to the Ferdie family again Smiley

I took the long way to the bakery this morning and the more km I do with the T the more I love it Smiley

spiegel1.jpg

front1.jpg heck2.jpg totale2.jpg wappen.jpg trip1.jpg

--

As I grab so often the gearknob I finally know how to put the ashtray to some good use broken heart

7sp-2.jpg ring2.jpg

--

Great pics PJ, thanks for sharing, looks like an awesome machine - I am very envious! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776336 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441251 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262512 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260707 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85031 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5452 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880263 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815334 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM