Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

G500 Test ride

We have been test driving a G500 yesterday as we are looking for a family car and a replacement for the SRT.

Unfortunately the dealer car had the old G500 combustion engine and not the new Bi-Turbo. Anyway - the engine sound was due to the sport package amazing. The performance was good if the car is rev'ed. Look wise is nothing to add - the car is a beauty, no doubt. Color combo would have been exactly what we would prefer.

To the ride - the car has two modes, eco and sport. In eco it is ridiculously slow, zero throttle response as long you don't kick down. In Sport mode it is ok, but it is still not an racer. The suspension is ok and the steering response a bit spongy. When going above 130 km/h you are getting scared, to many wind noises and the tires and steering response is just like driving a boat on the sea. When driving on country roads  the car is very relaxing and fun. Autobahn would mean staying on the right lane and cruising with 130 instead of flowing with the others around 180, it is just to tiring.

I never thought there is a car with a higher consumption than that SRT of us. But that G500 is thirsty like a drunken sailor. I not really care about if I put 100 € of petrol/month more into it or not as it just doesnt make a huge difference on overall costs. But it is kind of uncomfortable to stand every single week at the petrol station, it is just annoying. Already on that SRT I hate that everytime I drive with it I have to first go and fill it up. That 94 Liter tank is not giving you more than 480 km range (if you drive moderate). On the G500 the 96 Liters will probably not even giving you 350km of range.

It must be added that the 2016 G500 car is coming with a completely different suspension set up and even offers adjustable dumpers. They also claim that the new car has a much better steering response.

Overall - hate love. The look is amazing, the space and interior is excellent for family use. The power was ok, but still sitting back in to my SRT I felt like sitting into a race car. The SRT is handling like a go cart and also has insane power compared to the G. Anyhow - some way I have to RC words, this car is very cool and it would please me, especially if the modifications to the 2016 are like they are saying. The thing I'm not sure is, is this a family car you can enjoy on longer distances? If we would use it only for short rides and sometimes a bit longer I would have instantly ordered it. But as we are going many times 500km or more as well as almost every weekend 300km I see some doubts. 

We will have a look into the Range Rover and make our decision in summer. Keep you posted!

2016-04-30 11.04.40.jpg
    14620845208402016-04-30 11.10.17.jpg

Re: G500 Test ride

Lars, while I have not driven a G yet, what I have read is that the 2016 suspension is supposed to be quite a bit better than the previous models. they also recalibrated ESP to be less intrusive.

The 2016 suspension on G500 has also comfort and sport mode.

Nevertheless, I certainly agree that if the car will be needed for Autobahn driving/cruising, this might be the wrong choice. That is what made me keep the X6M so that I can use it for longer trips when an SUV is needed. The G63 will be for city cruising.

Reading that you were quite happy with the SRT, I believe an SVR might be a good choice for you.

Or test-drive a 2016 G63 indecision

A G would perfectly suit your SLS. Two modern classics.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

G-Class is far too inefficient for any extended use. You'll be filling up constantly, and it will take it's toll especially in the dead of Winter when you least want to be pumping gas.

Not if it is a diesel. 350 Bluetec is plenty fast enough for every day driving, and has a better range. It only lacks the sound.

Best, w

wurlie:

Not if it is a diesel. 350 Bluetec is plenty fast enough for every day driving, and has a better range. It only lacks the sound.

Best, w

The G350 consumes (as my dealer told me) also 16 Liter Diesel, the sound is annoying and the power lacks completely. But - I should have a test ride in one.

intouch1:

Lars, while I have not driven a G yet, what I have read is that the 2016 suspension is supposed to be quite a bit better than the previous models. they also recalibrated ESP to be less intrusive.

The 2016 suspension on G500 has also comfort and sport mode.

Nevertheless, I certainly agree that if the car will be needed for Autobahn driving/cruising, this might be the wrong choice. That is what made me keep the X6M so that I can use it for longer trips when an SUV is needed. The G63 will be for city cruising.

Reading that you were quite happy with the SRT, I believe an SVR might be a good choice for you.

Or test-drive a 2016 G63 indecision

A G would perfectly suit your SLS. Two modern classics.

Hi Buddy, 

you are speaking out of my heart. 

I guess the G63 comes with so many extras that at the end it is only a minor difference taking the 500 or the G63. Anyhow - the problem with the daily usability still stays. And as I know where you are going to use your car I guess that you made the exact right choice. Driving around in your area the car is just made for. Also - you have the luxury sport sedan and the X6M in the garage in case you would like to drive a further distance. Again - the G will perfectly handle long distance, but probably not a German high-speed Autobahn Smiley

Maybe it is just to early to jump on a G and we might have to wait two more years until the successor is out. 

We have to see Smiley

Thanks for the report Lars . It fits exactly what I have always thought about that car . It looks good, it sounds good , it has good space , it handles well off road ...... but that' s it ! All the rest is ancient indecision

In Europe that car is only good for down town shopping, or being photographed in it   smiley

It looks like it is a good idea to wait for the next real generation for you ..... or get it aside a an efficient family  Autobahn driver .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

Thanks for the report Lars . It fits exactly what I have always thought about that car . It looks good, it sounds good , it has good space , it handles well off road ...... but that' s it ! All the rest is ancient indecision

In Europe that car is only good for down town shopping, or being photographed in it   smiley

It looks like it is a good idea to wait for the next real generation for you ..... or get it aside a an efficient family  Autobahn driver .

Thanks Mate!

Yep - that's it. But you know how it is. More cars, more toys you really don't have time to enjoy. So the family car is crucial to enjoy as it is the car you are driving on your off days most often. I'm happy to make sacrifices but everything has its limits. From the point of passion it might be a Range Rover or Range Rover Sport or a Mercedes GLS. Those cars are rare and exotic enough to give me some pleasure. Forget about X5 / GLE or Cayenne. Those cars are just way to often on the streets of Stuttgart and also ahead of being modified soon. Let's wait and see Smiley

SRV could be a good choice ......  For me it was sadly too small . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Take a look at the new jag f pace. its decades ahead of a RR, doesn't handle like a schooner and likely has way better build quality.

JimFlat6:

Take a look at the new jag f pace. its decades ahead of a RR, doesn't handle like a schooner and likely has way better build quality.

Jim you're likely right, but I sense Lars likes his V8s.  Maybe eventually JLR will stuff a bigger motor in the F Pace, but for now...Smiley  

Lars, I have driven the SVR and for me at least, it is too flamboyant / loud / uncompromising and loses the comfort vs fun balance of the RRS series.  I would argue a well optioned V8 supercharged gives a nicer overall balance. But you should drive both - I need to go offroad at times and the SVR is really pavement focused.. The full size RR I would guess will be too boat-like for your taste.  Our almost-Kiwi Watt will undoubtedly say more when he gets his SVR. 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Gnil:

Lars great report you covered all the important aspects, but in the end you really know this is not the proper car for kind of use you´re going to have. Gnil said it all and I agree 100% wih his opinion Smiley

G class is all about glamor and engine sound so I do understand the passion it provides to car lovers like us, but reality is that this car was created on Dinaussaur period and there are dinamic and confort flaws difficult to overcome for a DD use or to make long distance with it.

Keep us posted on your final decision my friend, can´t wait to see the new son coming to your garage Smiley Smiley

--

J.Seven

Hi Guys - thanks for all your help and participation, much appreciate.

@Gnil / @4trac - we will have a look into the SVR, but as you are saying, if you are going for an RR you want to enjoy the comfort. So I guess if RR then I'm looking into the big Diesel engines and enjoy to cruise. Our previous RRS used to have the V6 Diesel and it was for sure no racer but it never felt slow. But the comfort was indescribable.  

@4trac - I don't necessarily look for an V8. I love it and I'm sure we might not have that much time left to buy V8s as they are going to die. Maybe that's why I don't want to miss a chance. But quiet frankly, I can live also with any other engine for the family car.

@JimFlat6 - the FPace is too small. We are looking for a full size SUV where we can at least get 4 suite cases plus 4 trolleys into the trunk. The SRT is taking them easily, most other SUVs are having problem with it.

@JSeven - I know you are my soul mate and value your opinion much. 

Keep you all posted, decision will be made in June/July, so lot of time left 

Lars997:

Hi Guys - thanks for all your help and participation, much appreciate.

@Gnil / @4trac - we will have a look into the SVR, but as you are saying, if you are going for an RR you want to enjoy the comfort. So I guess if RR then I'm looking into the big Diesel engines and enjoy to cruise. Our previous RRS used to have the V6 Diesel and it was for sure no racer but it never felt slow. But the comfort was indescribable.  

Range Rover offers great comfort and it looks great but I would never get a Diesel engine for this car (unless it is a monster Diesel with 400+ hp).

@4trac - I don't necessarily look for an V8. I love it and I'm sure we might not have that much time left to buy V8s as they are going to die. Maybe that's why I don't want to miss a chance. But quiet frankly, I can live also with any other engine for the family car.

I couldn't live with another engine (tried...X3 35d with 313 hp and now Macan Turbo with V6 and 400 hp). Smiley

@JimFlat6 - the FPace is too small. We are looking for a full size SUV where we can at least get 4 suite cases plus 4 trolleys into the trunk. The SRT is taking them easily, most other SUVs are having problem with it.

Smiley

@JSeven - I know you are my soul mate and value your opinion much. 

Smiley

Keep you all posted, decision will be made in June/July, so lot of time left 

The G500 is great but does your wife like it? The car in the photo looks amazing and if I could, I would get the "old" n/a engine, even if it is less powerful. 

Went to an Audi dealer this weekend, he had tons(!) of Q7 there, ready to go. Audi apparently wants to move them fast, like warm bread, most of them were fully equipped Diesel (3.0) with a new price tag of around 80k EUR. Lease offer was 699 EUR and 17k EUR initial payment, not exactly a bargain if you ask me.The Q7 looks modern and not that aggressive but my wife said something, again, which made me think: It looks...boring. Smiley I wouldn't call it exactly boring but we saw a new VW Tiguan as well and it looked basically like a small Q7. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

@RC:

My wife is the driver regarding the G. She wants it badly and she would compromise anything for it smiley The car we been test driving is for sale, too. It is 8 months old, 8000 km. Factory car from MB, looks like new. New price is 130, now it is 105 - quiet fully equipped as it was a special edition it had a price advantage of approx. 10k. The dealer said, that the new Turbo even sounds better and that there is barley a difference in sound towards the G63. I would love the NA engine, but the new suspension and steering setting is pulling clearly towards the new Turbo G.

I clearly prefer a V8 but only if it sounds right and if it goes with the car. The G must be V8, while a Range Rover Sport might be a Diesel. The Diesel has enough torque and it gives you driving pleasure, too. So, I wouldn't mind a big V6 Turbo Diesel as long as it has enough torque and probably more than 300HP. I'm less power fanatic than you are, for me the comfort of driving is important, too. This includes avoid this hideous filling up the car (might be different in the US when you can pay directly at the pump but here it is always the walk inside, queuing up to pay, etc.). 

My friend has the new Q7. It looks like a huge sedan and not at all like a SUV. My wife says it is boring. The interior is great and the space is really good, too.

have a great week!

Dear Lars,

if you can, at least give a G class diesel a try. The sound is compromised, indeed. However, although not too powerful, the torque is there. With transmission in sport mode, it moves nicely. I drive mine at 150km/h on the motorway, and on average it consumes about 13l/100km both there and in town.

For what it is worth, I am not a fan of the new JLR offering - I cannot stand cars with decorative non-functional plastic add-on pieces. It insults my intelligence. Although I am sure they are very nice cars to drive. What swayed me towards a G-class, was the idea that I can easily imagine teaching my children to drive in it, 15-20 years down the line. Cannot imagine that with the current offering of Land/Range Rovers.

Best, w

wurlie:

Dear Lars,

if you can, at least give a G class diesel a try. The sound is compromised, indeed. However, although not too powerful, the torque is there. With transmission in sport mode, it moves nicely. I drive mine at 150km/h on the motorway, and on average it consumes about 13l/100km both there and in town.

A SUV (or even off-roader Smiley) needs a monster engine in my opinion. Otherwise, it isn't fun. Drove a G class Diesel once as a repair shop loaner, it had 200 hp or slightly more and huge torque but at speeds over 100 kph, it sucked big time. Drove once on the Autobahn, I hated it.

For what it is worth, I am not a fan of the new JLR offering - I cannot stand cars with decorative non-functional plastic add-on pieces. It insults my intelligence. Although I am sure they are very nice cars to drive. What swayed me towards a G-class, was the idea that I can easily imagine teaching my children to drive in it, 15-20 years down the line. Cannot imagine that with the current offering of Land/Range Rovers.

Best, w

A G class to teach your kids driving in? Wouldn't be a smaller car the better choice? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

True all, however there is a romantic in me... I envisage an empty field and a young teenager...

I like the lack of power as it keeps me in check. To accelerate in town it is enough.

For me, a G is about different emotions not necessarily related to speed. In general, I try to specialize and dedicate my cars - hence for example I hated and sold a current BMW M5.

Best, w

wurlie:

True all, however there is a romantic in me... I envisage an empty field and a young teenager...

I like the lack of power as it keeps me in check. To accelerate in town it is enough.

For me, a G is about different emotions not necessarily related to speed. In general, I try to specialize and dedicate my cars - hence for example I hated and sold a current BMW M5.

Best, w

Have you tried a G63? After I test-drove one, I fell in love. Even would go for the G550 (G500) instead. Had one as a rental car in Florida and loved it. Wife hates how it looks though, she thinks the G class is for farmers... Smiley Smiley

Truth be told, I think we are not going to get another SUV after my Jeep GC SRT lease and my wife's Macan Turbo leases run out next year. Why? My wife wants my 991 GTS Cab (4 seats) and I want to replace my GT500 with a R8 V10 Plus (previous model with 550 hp). We also still have a Mini JCW (latest model) which fits four persons quite comfortably. The only time we need a SUV is a week in February and a week or two maybe in May/June and end of August for our annual Lake Garda Italy trip. I can get the latest model SUV (Q7, Cayenne, whatever) for 1k EUR a week at Sixt Germany, so no need to buy a SUV just for three weeks a year.

We are going to stick with three cars (GTS Cab for my wife, R8 for me and the Mini JCW for all of us), which saves us a lot of money as well. Maybe, at some point, I can even afford another Porsche... Smiley but the SUV time is, I think, over for us. My wife is right, we don't really need one anymore, especially since our daughter finishes school in two years as well.

--

The G class is an acquired taste. You either love it or hate it. I personally love it with all it flaws.

The g63 is a must cause of the power and suspension.

wurlie:

Dear Lars,

Best, w

the plastic on the new generation of Land Rover was bringing us away from Range Rover 2 years ago. Exactly understand what you say!

I will ask my dealer if there is a chance to test drive a G Diesel. I guess it is fair enough to give it a shot. The torque of the Diesel and the petrol is almost the same.

I don't think you will like the Diesel...

Mercedes lacks a monster Diesel like the new V8 Diesel for the Q7. This engine would be perfect for the G class.

--

I did try both the G500 and G63 AMG. G500 was a lot of show and no go, and G63 AMG has a REALLY bad image in my neck of the woods. Further, rationally, it goes against what I value. But let me tell you, emotionally, it was on another level. That decision was the hardest car related one I ever made. I like to suffer, so I went with sense rather than sensibility in this case :)

Edited to add: fully agree on the need for a monster diesel... I might try to enhance mine, but that might mean an increase in consumption, but we will see...

Best, w

wurlie:

I did try both the G500 and G63 AMG. G500 was a lot of show and no go, and G63 AMG has a REALLY bad image in my neck of the woods.

Romania...yes...every gangster drives a G63...got it. Smiley Similar to 99% of all former Warsaw Pact countries. You have to get over it...it is a prejudice. Advantage: Nobody will really fight you on the road because they are afraid of you. Smiley

Further, rationally, it goes against what I value. But let me tell you, emotionally, it was on another level. That decision was the hardest car related one I ever made. I like to suffer, so I went with sense rather than sensibility in this case :)

Not sure what you mean? Smiley

Edited to add: fully agree on the need for a monster diesel... I might try to enhance mine, but that might mean an increase in consumption, but we will see...

Chiptuning may work well on Diesel cars but isn't really what you want... 

--

G63 anywhere in CE is a no go. Especially in front of clients...

Rationally, there is no place for using performance above and beyond a 350 Bluetec. It is superfluous from my perspective. There are other cars for going fast in a thrilling way.

I fully agree on chiptuning. Might give it a try for the kicks...

Best, w

wurlie:

G63 anywhere in CE is a no go. Especially in front of clients...

I am glad to see that Romania has the same envy issues Germany has... Smiley Smiley

Rationally, there is no place for using performance above and beyond a 350 Bluetec. It is superfluous from my perspective. There are other cars for going fast in a thrilling way.

True but especially a heavy SUV needs a lot of power, otherwise...no fun. Smiley

-

Great write-up Lars, go for it. It's a unique vehicle, but it certainly has it's place on the road and there isn't anything quite like it. (Unless you're in China, then there's always the BAIC BJ80 ).

Thanks for the write up. My interest for the G went from simple curiosity to zero. It is just too old technology and the trade offs for a somewhat cool are are way too big. Plus in a totally opposite way after my firsthand experience with the Tesla X, it is just cooler and practical...

RC:

Have you tried a G63? After I test-drove one, I fell in love. Even would go for the G550 (G500) instead. Had one as a rental car in Florida and loved it. Wife hates how it looks though, she thinks the G class is for farmers... Smiley Smiley

Truth be told, I think we are not going to get another SUV after my Jeep GC SRT lease and my wife's Macan Turbo leases run out next year. Why? My wife wants my 991 GTS Cab (4 seats) and I want to replace my GT500 with a R8 V10 Plus (previous model with 550 hp). We also still have a Mini JCW (latest model) which fits four persons quite comfortably. The only time we need a SUV is a week in February and a week or two maybe in May/June and end of August for our annual Lake Garda Italy trip. I can get the latest model SUV (Q7, Cayenne, whatever) for 1k EUR a week at Sixt Germany, so no need to buy a SUV just for three weeks a year.

We are going to stick with three cars (GTS Cab for my wife, R8 for me and the Mini JCW for all of us), which saves us a lot of money as well. Maybe, at some point, I can even afford another Porsche... Smiley but the SUV time is, I think, over for us. My wife is right, we don't really need one anymore, especially since our daughter finishes school in two years as well.

Now you are onto something. I would do the same but we need one of our our SUV for 8 weeks a year and the other one all winter...

We realized we need no SUV anymore...for three or maybe four weeks a year. Rentals are pretty "cheap" here, I can get a new Q7 for a whole week for under 900 EUR. angry

I love SUVs but if I had to decide between a SUV or a sports car, guess what I would choose. 

For two adults and two kids without luggage, the Mini JCW is quite sufficient.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760522 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434273 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259963 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871180 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806328 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM