Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018) - Short Review (incomplete)

bluelines:
    Rossi:

I keep saying that for ages... Smiley

Eey, 102 octane and side decals is at least 100hp Smiley

And a proper break in another 100hp...

SciFrog:
    bluelines:
    Rossi:

Eey, 102 octane and side decals is at least 100hp Smiley

And a proper break in another 100hp...

Don't forget to change the oil 5 times in the first week Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

center stripe is better drag coeff indecision

hp  is one thing only...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

hp  is one thing only...

Don't come here and be judgemental. Power and 200-300km/h times is what matters Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    the-missile:

hp  is one thing only...

Don't come here and be judgemental. Power and 200-300km/h times is what matters Smiley

nah.... it is the driving pleasure Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    bluelines:
    the-missile:

hp  is one thing only...

nah.... it is the driving pleasure Smiley

but only with ceramic brakes Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

BjoernB:

cannot agree more - had once a interesting discussion with expert and understanding the damage you do with just "chipping" is well underestimated. (temperatures,livetime,auxiliaries etc) that is why real tuning costs real money

Smiley Up to 50 hp or so, no problem using software. After that, it starts to get interesting. Over 100 hp without hardware changes? Maybe on the dyno for a short time. Autobahn...heat...power drops instantly (if you're lucky and the "protection" still works).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Rossi:
    blueflame:
    RC:
    bluelines:

For a car which is leased 2-3 years this oil change exercise is rather pointless IMHO.

Agreed but I have to be honest, I feel better with an oil exchange, even if the car isn't actually "mine". Smiley 

Found out some interesting fact from Renntech, the well known Mercedes tuner (don't worry, no tuning for my car): Apparently, my particular engine (also used in the other AMG models with some mods) is very sensitive to fuel quality and especially 102 octane from Aral (Ultimate 102). They tested different fuels and qualities and apparently the Shell VPower has too many additives (still meets the 100 octane criteria) but the Ultimate 102 fuel "adds" for example over 25(!) hp to a AMG GT S (versus the 98 octane fuel) without any software adaptation. Quite interesting...

Actually, they claim that many modern direct fuel injection turbo engines often (not always) profit from higher octane fuel as well, so it may be worth a try.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

You also trust in RUF Automobile...during my last visit I asked them, why their own ARAL gas station does not have Ultimate102...

They said I should save my money and use the normal 98Super+.

Blueflame

I think there is a little bit of misunderstanding here (keep in mind that I helped program the software of my former GT500 and I learned so much about fuel qualities, octane figures, E85 fuel (most drivers I ask, even those with experience, don't have a clue what this is, they know only E10 Smiley), heat soaks, thermodynamics and so on).

In general, higher octane figures don't help much with stock cars, this is true.

However, there is a difference with direct injection turbo charged engines: Some of them profit from higher octane fuel at certain rev ranges and/or at certain temperatures/air pressure conditions.

It is a very complicated story and the power gain isn't huge (without modifying the software) but a 5% power gain (with 102 Ultimate fuel) is indeed possible with specific engines. 5% can be over 30 hp on a E63S (Renntech claims a 25-27 hp gain only though). Furthermore, a heat soak (I bet many don't have a clue what this is either) can be prevented or delayed with higher octane fuel. Meaning: The same 500 hp engine could produce 30 hp less at 35°C with the recommended 98 octane fuel quality, while the engine running 102 octane could keep the 500 hp under the same conditions. Small but fine difference.

Btw: Ruf doesn't have 102 Ultimate because people in Germany often are not willing to pay more for this fuel and he would loose the 98 octane customers (which are many many more). This is the only reason he has Super Plus 98 only. Smiley Apparently Aral allows only a choice of Super Plus or Ultimate, not both. Especially for smaller stations.

--

RC:

However, there is a difference with direct injection turbo charged engines:

First of all, have fun with your new Autobahn weapon Smiley 

As for DFI cars (regardless whether NA or turbo) some P-buddys of mine claim that ARAL Ultimate (102) is the only stuff avoiding the ugly DFI smut at the rear of your car Smiley  I will give it try and will report back. Maybe I can try to get a corporate discount at ARAL - at least when refilling the Riviera Spyder: almost ARAL corporate colour Smiley

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

Porsche-Jeck:
    RC:

However, there is a difference with direct injection turbo charged engines:

First of all, have fun with your new Autobahn weapon Smiley 

As for DFI cars (regardless whether NA or turbo) some P-buddys of mine claim that ARAL Ultimate (102) is the only stuff avoiding the ugly DFI smut at the rear of your car Smiley  I will give it try and will report back. Maybe I can try to get a corporate discount at ARAL - at least when refilling the Riviera Spyder: almost ARAL corporate colour Smiley

My Shelby tuner (one of the most prestigious ones in Europe and the Shelby guru in Germany) claims that only with Ultimate 102, he can get the power output needed. He tried with other fuel brands and he always had issues. Usually, he adapts the software to 100 octane only because sometimes, you can't get 102 octane but still, with the Ultimate 102, the engines run very well.

This is interesting: Not a single time did I hear anything good about V-Power but unfortunately, on my way to Italy, I always need to fuel up V-Power because I don't find Ultimate 102. In Italy, I use Agip (Eni) blu super plus 100.

--

Got a chance to drive the M5 for 24 hours.  I live in a mountainous area of northern ca. near the coast. 70 miles of one curve up and down after another.   At first, I was blown away by the prowess of the car.  Then as I gained more confidence, I pushed harder, and that's when the feeling of a heavy car came in.  More body roll than I would have liked etc.   Yes, it could take any curve that I through it into, but always at the expense of feeling the weight and roll.   I ended up placing an order for one of the first competition package edition.  That night when I rewatched the video explanation of what it included over the standard M5, it all made sense;  lowered, stiffer shorter springs, increased camber, stronger engine mounts, lower profile tires, forged wheels, bigger roll bars, replacing rubber bushings with ball joints...

I post here so as to compare against what RC feels in his E63s.  I wouldn't have driven as hard as I did if my daughter was in the car.   Wonder if you've pushed yours hard and driven like you describe driving your R8 when alone in real twistys, not just the big sweeping auto ban drives.  

And, maybe the comp pack won't get the car to where it feels like a sports car  ( respecting the laws of physics ), so then maybe I should get the AMG GTC or GTR.   Oh, if only I had put down a deposit on the GT3  RS a couple of years ago....

side note, compared the M5 back to back with the Alpha Giulia Quad.   What a difference 700 hundred pounds makes.  I loved the turn in and nimble feel, the sound and more, but just couldn't get past the inexpensive feel of the cabin ( from just stepping out of the M5 )  Also with the car in Race and traction turned off, got surprised at how easy the back of the broke loose, in a Big Quick way.   The sales guy was less alarmed than I was.

Well,my opinion is that you can not compare E63S or M5 with true sports car like 991.2 GT3. Even 991.2 Turbo S is in sheer feel a true sports car. On the other hand E63S or M5 are not. They are very, very fast and capable sport saloons.

Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio? You liked the brakes? Or you liked hyper sensitive steering? Or really liked the sound?

I hated brakes(Ceramics). No feel what so ever, worst modulation on all cars that I driven in last 5 years or so. Steering was strange as well. I compared it to steering on 991.2 GT3 or Turbo S and it was not impressed at all. Exhaust note? Generic Italian V6 sound. Old 147 GTA sounds way better.

I get it about being a true sports car.  Just looking for that sweet balance of comfort and being able to push a car hard without feeling like you're carrying it.  I'm guessing that somewhere around that 3700-4000 pound range is the limit.   I drove an FF very hard,very fast around curves,   and it felt very light and capable even at somewhere around 4100 lbs. 

The Alfa had steel brakes, so no problem there.   The sound was ok.  Didn't have that much time in Race with full sound,, was more focused on getting around curves on up and down grades at high speed.   Steering felt like my 458 and 488 I had for a while,, took some getting used to, but appreciated the accuracy.   I'd have to drive it for at least an hour to know for sure, but again, didn't like the lack of cabin execution and that on a nice warm dry day that the back end came out that easy without warning.  

Thank you for your valuable contribution guys !!!

I am updating the review on a constant basis, latest update is from today. blush

--

Van, have you driven the Panamera Tourisimmo? If so, I’ll be curious what you think of it compared to the M5. My view of the BMW car has taken a decided turn toward negative. They drive and feel cheap. 

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

Haven't driven the Panamera yet.   I was for a while looking to test the six cylinder version ( less weight up front ) tunable to over 500 horse ).. but they're delayed.   The Turbo simply is very expensive, heavy, and has not compared well in testing compared to the M5 and E63s..  having said that, I like the tech that the car comes with.

I was surprised how cheap the faux carbon on the dash and trim looked on the M5 I had for the day.  Can't imagine why they chose that part.

If there was an AM dealer close I definitely would look at the Vantage, and might end up looking at the Portofino.  I don't need a four door, and really want to Want what I get.

I had the Panamera Turbo S Hybrid on order, cancelled it after a week of driving the new Turbo (regular) rental car in LA for a week.

Found it boring and not as entertaining then E63S or even the new M5, both better performers at half price of the Turbo S.

Another thing, more and more manufacturers introduce the new haptic controls , like in the new Panamera, Audi A8,etc.

I really, really dislike it, not user friendly at all regardless of what they say or intend, looks dirty after a few minutes, smudges everywhere and you need to take your eyes off the road to see what you are doing. 

nberry:

Van, have you driven the Panamera Tourisimmo? If so, I’ll be curious what you think of it compared to the M5. My view of the BMW car has taken a decided turn toward negative. They drive and feel cheap. 

The E63S doesn't look or feel cheap in the inside but there are more ordinary (visible) cheap looking black "plastic" parts in the interior than I bargained for, Porsche kind of does this better (different kind of black plastics, different structure, darker in shade even maybe).

It is possible to get (almost) everything covered in leather but this would make the car too expensive.

The current BMW M5 interior doesn't necessarily look cheap but too ordinary, like most BMW interiors of the past couple of years. I call it boring but to each his own. Never have been a fan of current and past BMW interiors (they looked nice when they were introduced but what the heck, for the past decade or longer, they basically look the same).

BMW also offers to cover everything in leather and other individualization options, so I guess you can get the interior quality you want...for a price.

"Driving" cheap? I doubt it. The performance is top notch.

Also keep in mind that BMW and Mercedes achieve basically the same track performance (not that it is important in any way on such a car) without AWS (all-wheel-steering). Once both get a similar system (the new AMG GT 4-door has AWS), the cards will be re-shuffled.

I think Porsche missed an opportunity here with the Panamera but on the other hand, die-hard Panamera lovers don't really care if the car weights 2 tons, 2.2 tons or 1.8 tons. Smiley

--

A few pulls in the 63 E S:  https://www.motor1.com/news/244096/e63-gtb-gt3-gtc4lusso-race/

Great video

thanks

Aren’t these E63 starts a little too good? Not an expert...

SciFrog:

Advantage of all-wheel drive over rear wheel drive at putting torque to the drive wheels.

Lusso is AWD...

the Lusso was a T, v8 and rear drive only

Forgot they even sold that version, LOL...

friggin fast E class but it may have been tuned.

That's how fast it looked!  If it was stock then I am on my way to the dealer.

SciFrog:

They really work that way and you can do it as often as you want (the M5 gearbox "shuts down" after one or two starts and needs a cooling off period). The Mercedes 9-speed MCT gearbox is really amazing and handles massive torque pretty well.

Without launch control, the E63S usually does 0-100 kph in around 4.1 to 4.2 seconds but I've been told this is going to improve with mileage. 3.7 or 3.8 should be possible without launch control (according to owners) after passing 5000-10000 km.

I do not like two things: Turbo lag (I may be biased, R8 and all) and the massive sudden torque buildup. Passengers love it though because they seem to feel (according to what they've told me) like in a starting plane. Smiley

In Sport+ mode, the ESC sometimes comes on even in second gear (when I shift manually), so...

--

Leawood911:

friggin fast E class but it may have been tuned.

That's how fast it looked!  If it was stock then I am on my way to the dealer.

Wasn't tuned. Exactly my experience. 

Best way to tell it wasn't tuned was the comparison to the 991.2 GT3.

--

In that case I’m heading to the dealer. They have one in stock. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689958 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409447 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858196 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774313 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM