Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

.....and.... it was not that interesting; none of the governance change proposals passed, despite support from the proxy advisory services. So status quo for another year. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

He still claims they are on par with 5,000 per week (4 weeks away) and they are adding a third line of manufacturing. They would be profitable in Q3/4. Then they are planning a factory and Shanghai and one in Europe... Quite some news actually.

One of the dubious items is that he still claims they are revolutionizing car manufacturing. So far it seems that neither the car construction itself is edgy or the costs savings in building the cars.

SciFrog:

He still claims they are on par with 5,000 per week (4 weeks away) and they are adding a third line of manufacturing. They would be profitable in Q3/4. Then they are planning a factory and Shanghai and one in Europe... Quite some news actually.

One of the dubious items is that he still claims they are revolutionizing car manufacturing. So far it seems that neither the car construction itself is edgy or the costs savings in building the cars.

Did they discuss how TSLA will finance these factories? How about model Y?

Model Y announced in march 19, production 2020, nothing new and with Musk moving deadlines, it doesn’t mean much.

Another solid question is how much faster will the model Y ramp up be cpompared to the model 3. My understanding is that both models should share a lot but how does it help?

A few other interesting things...
    - They see even better range and specs for the Semi than those announced late last year. Remember what the head of trucks at Daimler stated:  https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/22/head-daimler-trucks-claims-laws-physics-california-germany/
    - Roadster specs same thing. Announced specs on the conservative side. Talking about adding a "Space X performance package", lol. This thing could be a real game changer in the industry.
    - J.B. Straubel talked about the battery chemistry and Tesla future development and potential for their cells. Some really interesting stuff coming...
    - Supercharger v3 to be announced later this year. Ramping charging speed incrementally 2-4 times the speed today which will be up towards the 500kW mark. 
    - Also some enhanced stuff coming for Autopilot soon to be pushed OTA to the entire fleet. Tesla seems to be confident about their vision strategy without using Lidar. They might be on to something and this could be a breakthrough on it's own if they deliver. Independent of outcome, will for sure be interesting to follow the progress in this space.

Stock in the early trading today +5% at 307.

t2.gif

lukestern:

First, this graph is useless, there is no numbers no metrics behind the data being used.

Second, everyone knows a C class/3 series are the small sedan market, E/5 series are the mid size and the S/7 series are the large. Not sure why Tesla fans and supporters always try to use the wrong class descriptions.

--

Until Model 3 can hit Tesla's own target of 5k a week, which was supposed to happen last year, everything Elon says is fluff.

Tesla stock price needed a boost, so what do he do? Like always, he promise something big and exciting in the distant future, and boom, the price goes up as usual.

but in the end, everything is still fluff, the semi, the roadster, the new batteries, the new factories, etc. None of those will happen if Tesla can't survive the Model 3. 

--

Whoopsy:
    lukestern:

First, this graph is useless, there is no numbers no metrics behind the data being used.

Second, everyone knows a C class/3 series are the small sedan market, E/5 series are the mid size and the S/7 series are the large. Not sure why Tesla fans and supporters always try to use the wrong class descriptions.

First, what does it matter if it is percentage or figures? The result is the same.

Second, why bother on abbreviations used when we all know that the Model 3 is comparable car in size with the cars in the graph? If the headline states Mid-size or small sedan market is irrelevant.

The graph btw comes from Tesla, not from any fans or supporters...

Whoopsy:

Until Model 3 can hit Tesla's own target of 5k a week, which was supposed to happen last year, everything Elon says is fluff.

Tesla stock price needed a boost, so what do he do? Like always, he promise something big and exciting in the distant future, and boom, the price goes up as usual.

but in the end, everything is still fluff, the semi, the roadster, the new batteries, the new factories, etc. None of those will happen if Tesla can't survive the Model 3. 

5k will be in a few weeks, which is 6 months late. Do you really consider this is relevant in the big scheme of things?

In comparison, how on earth could Porsche be in a situation with the factory shut down and postponed custom orders until 2019? I know Porsche can afford it, that's not my point. But things tend to be more complex than what even Porsche could imagine. I don't think this was planned a few years ago and communicated to shareholders...

lukestern:
    Whoopsy:

5k will be in a few weeks, which is 6 months late. Do you really consider this is relevant in the big scheme of things?

In comparison, how on earth could Porsche be in a situation with the factory shut down and postponed custom orders until 2019? I know Porsche can afford it, that's not my point. But things tend to be more complex than what even Porsche could imagine. I don't think this was planned a few years ago and communicated to shareholders...

And whenever Porsche missed a step or screwed up, I roast them, publicly here and on Rennlist and even to their face inn person. Did you ever roast Tesla in public? Or you are too blinded by the rosy glasses?

Actually I am still in a shouting match with them about delaying my GT2RS for 5 months.

And not just Porsche, I roast Ferrari, McLaren too. I am just about as fair as one can be. 

--

I roast Tesla too. They kind of lied about the readiness of their autopilot feature. I think they could have found a solution to the middle seat of the X not leaning forward enough for cargo. I think they made a mistake by removing the 100D version and only having the more expensive P100D. Also it seems that their chassis construction is not as edgy as they would like you to think, with possibly a lot of weight added and more complexity to the manufacturing. Early production S cars interior wasn’t that nice. X design is OK but it feels it could be a lot better. Last Elon really had an attitude not acceptable on the analyst conference call a few weeks ago.

All that said, what they have already achieved is nothing short of amazing.

SciFrog:

I roast Tesla too. They kind of lied about the readiness of their autopilot feature. I think they could have found a solution to the middle seat of the X not leaning forward enough for cargo. I think they made a mistake by removing the 100D version and only having the more expensive P100D. Also it seems that their chassis construction is not as edgy as they would like you to think, with possibly a lot of weight added and more complexity to the manufacturing. Early production S cars interior wasn’t that nice. X design is OK but it feels it could be a lot better. Last Elon really had an attitude not acceptable on the analyst conference call a few weeks ago.

And that they did. Think we all had commented on that about them bring electric car to the mainstream.

--

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

And that they did. Think we all had commented on that about them bring electric car to the mainstream.

One will agree that Tesla helped to make EVs seem mainstream, to the benefit of the European automakers.  This morning's Financial Times has a story on the issues automakers are having meeting the EU emission standards for diesels.  https://www.ft.com/content/9d052960-6903-11e8-b6eb-4acfcfb08c11  These same automakers, and to a large extent, the EU bureaucrats, pushed diesels ahead of petrol to meet onerous carbon emission standards.  Now the problems with diesels are fully exposed, the legacy automakers will quickly, within their development cycles, turn to EVs. 

One thing is for certain this stock has made me a lot of day trading money.  Especially today. Wow. Been in an out about ten times since it got down to 278 last Friday. up to 323 today.  I would not recommend for the faint hearted but it has wild swings that bring out the inner Tarzan. 

Tesla says Model 3 is best-selling midsize premium sedan in America - Autoblog https://apple.news/AyupVlMQKTIaFk6LOGwyE2g

SciFrog:

Tesla says Model 3 is best-selling midsize premium sedan in America - Autoblog https://apple.news/AyupVlMQKTIaFk6LOGwyE2g

Probably had nothing to do with the $7,500 federal tax credit, $2,500 California tax rebate, and California single occupant high occupancy vehicle lane exemption for the Model 3 that the peer group isn’t eligible to obtain.

The NTSB today released its preliminary findings on the fatal Tesla Model X crash in the Bay Area a couple of months ago.  The findings are as expected and the comments, once again, provide entertainment. 

https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/tesla-fatal-crash-autopilot-ntsb-releases-preliminary-report/

One hopes that the AutoPilot team is much more sophisticated than those posting in the comment section of the attached article.  However, AutoPilot has several glaring omissions and limitations.  Has the team ever heard of using Kalman filtering for sensor fusion or has Musk mandated a purely deep machine/neural net learning approach?

Inside Tesla’s Model 3 Factory - Bloomberg Businessweek https://apple.news/Aoc9HNuWcRy6scgeewsjMLg

anyone have idea of what the space x option is for the new roadster???' improved numbers from the bae model????

will it fly??? 0-60 is 1.9 sec..with this option?? 1.5?? 

unreal....

--

993 c2

SciFrog:

Inside Tesla’s Model 3 Factory - Bloomberg Businessweek https://apple.news/Aoc9HNuWcRy6scgeewsjMLg

EXTREMELY interesting ^^^

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991.2 GT2 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Still can’t put the finger on this “manufacturing revolution”...

Robotic factory, where Elon envisioned, is all digital, 0s and 1s, there is nothing in between.

Humans on the other hand are analog, they can still make use of something between 0 and 1.

When the parts are made to absolutely perfect, robots are great as everything fits. But if they are out by a bit, nothing fits and robots just give up and spits out and error, and wait for human intervention.

Human workers on the other hand can make slight variance work, a nudge here and there and everything fits.

--

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-08/tesla-model-3-photos-of-elon-musk-s-factory-in-fremont

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991.2 GT2 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-08/tesla-model-3-photos-of-elon-musk-s-factory-in-fremont

Where’s the innovation?  There’s nothing shown that no one hasn’t done before.   Porsche owned Recaro before and the Volkswagen empire is an active user of Schuler servo presses since 2015.  

Space x option is rocket thrusters I believe. Seriously. Using compressed air as thrust using multiple computer controlled nozzles to vector thrust. Not a bad idea. I’m watching to see if F1 sneaks these on-board. 

Leawood911:

Space x option is rocket thrusters I believe. Seriously. Using compressed air as thrust using multiple computer controlled nozzles to vector thrust. Not a bad idea. I’m watching to see if F1 sneaks these on-board. 

Again, until this is commercially available on a commercially available vehicle, where is the innovation?  Lamborghini currently incorporates a centralized assembly of accelerometers to control its torque vectoring via its all-wheel drive system and braking system combined with its advanced aerodynamics package utilizing blown airfoils, venturis, and diffusers in a commercially available package on the Performante.  This SpaceX package sounds like a more complex version of that system.   

And just like that the stock trades 345 again... crazy volatility and probably some short start feeeling the pain.

Sep 18 2017 high of 389
    April 2 2018 low of 244
    today high 347

not for the faint of heart, around 50% 50 days daily volatility for the ones who can understand that (S&P500 is around 12% to compare, oil is around 25%).

I was in it from 292 to 354 today. Then out. Good times

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763751 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436128 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260871 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257832 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82575 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876198 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808478 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM