Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: New to me 991.1 GT3

lexs4:
    nberry:

My cars get washed once a week. That’s it. Life is too short to waste it on finding dirt inside wheels or underneath a car. I don’t understand the obsession of keeping a car clean as our friend from Kentucky insists on. But if that is what he wants to spend his time on, good for him.heart

I think some of you misconstrued my posts a little.  I like my car to be clean, but what I shared is a once a year kind of thing.  And then it's only half of what I showed.  Some of what I did is once in the lifetime of the car (compounding).  Other than that I just wash my cars every two weeks or so.  I'm not spending 20 hours a week on cleaning.  I spend maybe 3 hours every 2 weeks cleaning both cars.  And I hate detailing interiors so I do that every couple months...

Once you have done a paint correction you shouldn't have to keep doing it.  If you do you are doing something very wrong.  I'm not a sadist Smiley

You're right, I had the wrong impression of the frequency of your efforts. Smiley

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

Gnil:

It is great that you show us what you have done . I wash my cars maybe every second month , sometimes even less then that , but I love seeing a shiny detailed car kiss

I get it . The reward is beautiful . Doing it is a kind of meditation probably indecision  

nberry:  You're right, I had the wrong impression of the frequency of your efforts. Smiley

Yep, it is relaxing, especially washing cars, nice way for me to unwind after a stressful day at work.  You can just turn off your brain and when done your car is back to it's beautiful state Smiley

@ nberry, I figured that was the case Smiley

lexs4:
    Gnil:

It is great that you show us what you have done . I wash my cars maybe every second month , sometimes even less then that , but I love seeing a shiny detailed car kiss

I get it . The reward is beautiful . Doing it is a kind of meditation probably indecision  

nberry:  You're right, I had the wrong impression of the frequency of your efforts. Smiley

Yep, it is relaxing, especially washing cars, nice way for me to unwind after a stressful day at work.  You can just turn off your brain and when done your car is back to it's beautiful state Smiley

That is cool, I wish it was that way for me, but it has the opposite effect on me unfortunately, so I wash them maybe once every 4 months Smiley and if I'm lucky it coincides with a dealer visit to change tires or something and they always return the car washed and so I don't have to do it even then. That said, the interior is a different thing, I keep it spotless inside though. Don't mind how dirty it is on the outside but the inside is different.

I do use the car regularly and in rain and whatever condition, bugs, etc so if I wash the car, the next day on the highway at high speed it going to be already dirty so maybe that has something to do with it, there is little reward Smiley if it were a weekend car then it would remain clean for long and would probable enjoy keeping it clean. 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

That is cool, I wish it was that way for me, but it has the opposite effect on me unfortunately, so I wash them maybe once every 4 months Smiley and if I'm lucky it coincides with a dealer visit to change tires or something and they always return the car washed and so I don't have to do it even then. That said, the interior is a different thing, I keep it spotless inside though. Don't mind how dirty it is on the outside but the inside is different.

I do use the car regularly and in rain and whatever condition, bugs, etc so if I wash the car, the next day on the highway at high speed it going to be already dirty so maybe that has something to do with it, there is little reward Smiley if it were a weekend car then it would remain clean for long and would probable enjoy keeping it clean. 

Oh the struggle is real for me and my OCD at times.  I live out in the country among a lot of farms and so my drive into work takes me on back roads used by lots of farm and construction equipment.  My neighborhood entrance takes you through a working horse and cattle farm before getting to the homes so my cars stay clean basically overnight after a wash.  Now that the weather has improved I daily my GT3 to work as much as possible so it's covered in dirt, grass, bugs, and who knows what very quickly.  That just makes it more satisfying to me cleaning it all off, but I completely understand the feeling that it might not be worth it when the car is just going to get dirty again.  It was way worse when I had two black cars, that was almost paralyzing Smiley

Farm area roads! Ouch! The worst for me is sometimes in summer there are these swarms of winged insects that come out at dawn, just as Im heading back home on the highway, suddently you find youself crossing some swarms here and there and there is nothing you can do, you cannot avoid them! All you can do is hear and watch how they smack against the car and it gets covered including the windshield, and at highway speeds its a mess, I hate it.

Anyway, detailing is all good though if it relaxes you and helps disconect your mind from work, etc... as long as it does not interfere with the driving part, as some people do not drive their cars if there is even a chance of rain for example, , that is not right imo, but that is clearly not you case.

While for me washing/detailing the car is not enjoyable, I completely understand and relate as I have other things that others may consider work or a chore and yet to me it is pleasant mentally, completely absorbs my concentration, and enjoy it when its done. 

tomorrow so happens I "have" to wash the car because I have an event on the weekend laugh

--

Carlos from Spain:

Farm area roads! Ouch! The worst for me is sometimes in summer there are these swarms of winged insects that come out at dawn, just as Im heading back home on the highway, suddently you find youself crossing some swarms here and there and there is nothing you can do, you cannot avoid them! All you can do is hear and watch how they smack against the car and it gets covered including the windshield, and at highway speeds its a mess, I hate it.

Anyway, detailing is all good though if it relaxes you and helps disconect your mind from work, etc... as long as it does not interfere with the driving part, as some people do not drive their cars if there is even a chance of rain for example, , that is not right imo, but that is clearly not you case.

While for me washing/detailing the car is not enjoyable, I completely understand and relate as I have other things that others may consider work or a chore and yet to me it is pleasant mentally, completely absorbs my concentration, and enjoy it when its done. 

tomorrow so happens I "have" to wash the car because I have an event on the weekend laugh

Looking forward to the photos, Carlos Smiley Enjoy

--

2018 White 911 GT3

"tomorrow so happens I "have" to wash the car because I have an event on the weekend "

Porsche's 70th anniversary. The General Manager of my dealership called me to participate in a drive around and function at the dealership this Saturday. I'm not a fan of drive arounds but when the GM of the dealership calls, I need to accommodate him. He told me he expects 70 Porsche's in the drive around. I have no idea how he is going to manage this.yes I think I'll try to be the last car in the line.indecision

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

Carlos from Spain:

...tomorrow so happens I "have" to wash the car because I have an event on the weekend laugh

Smiley Hopefully the wash goes by quickly Smiley, enjoy the event!

Carlos from Spain:
    lexs4:
    Gnil:

Same here. Smiley

Now I got a "problem" with the new family car (E63S). The matte paint requires a special treatment, so I added stress to the whole experience, stress I didn't want. Last time, I had the dealer wash the car and the good thing is that this color is very very "dirt forgiving", you can barely see dirt on this paint. Unfortunately this doesn't help with the bugs I am "collecting" when driving very fast on the Autobahn...I guess I have hundreds of them on my front part. Smiley

Washing my car in my driveway in front of my house is forbidden by law (I got all the tools and shampoos to wash/maintain the matte color but I can't use them in front of my house), so I always need to get the chance to go to a car wash place where I can take care of the car. Pretty annoying.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Gauss:
    Carlos from Spain:

Looking forward to the photos, Carlos Smiley Enjoy

Will do! Smiley hope it doens't rain! 

nberry:

Porsche's 70th anniversary. The General Manager of my dealership called me to participate in a drive around and function at the dealership this Saturday. I'm not a fan of drive arounds but when the GM of the dealership calls, I need to accommodate him. He told me he expects 70 Porsche's in the drive around. I have no idea how he is going to manage this.yes I think I'll try to be the last car in the line.indecision

Ours is not related to that, its one of our yearly outings, though the dealership is involved in this outing but they are just helping out and some of the employees are participating, as they are regulars in this outing. Our dealership has a good relationship with the local P-crowd. 

Hope you enjoy it, though 70 cars is a bit much IMO, its hard to do a "drive" with so many cars unless its just a "cruising parade" Smiley .. we are going to be 45 cars and because no more are allowed, already 45 is a bit much. Anyway, hopefully the right people are invited and you get to meet some interesting fellow petrolheads. Let us know how it goes Smiley

lexs4:
    Carlos from Spain:

...tomorrow so happens I "have" to wash the car because I have an event on the weekend laugh

Smiley Hopefully the wash goes by quickly Smiley, enjoy the event!

It may go quicker than I think, it may rain today!  Smiley and before the event I have to drive 300km tomorrow and for sure rain so Smiley but cannot clean the car any other day, has to be today.

RC:

Washing my car in my driveway in front of my house is forbidden by law (I got all the tools and shampoos to wash/maintain the matte color but I can't use them in front of my house), so I always need to get the chance to go to a car wash place where I can take care of the car. Pretty annoying.

That never seizes to surprise me, as long as you don't do it on the public street and bother anyone I don't see why the government need to get involved. Did they outlaw the rain too? Smiley 

For a different reason but I have a similar problem, I live in the city center most of the year so my car sleeps in the building's underground garage (it is private though with its own garage door within the garage but still no were to wash it) so I have to drive to my house and wash it there. Its half an hour drive but that just ads to the irritation.

--

Does foaming a car actually do anything?  I'm not so sure, the bugs that didn't come off after first rinsing it were still there.   It at least adds some lubrication.  Regardless I think it at least looks cool, and really isn't that all that matters

1534270313798side.jpg

1534270328618front (2).jpg

I think it works best if you have a layer of wax on it.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

I have often thought that about snow foam being a load of BS.

The last time I washed mine I just jet blast it to remove sitting grit and salt and then just use a huge bucket fulll of hot water and Gtechniq car shampoo washing with a microfibre mitt. I always have a separate bucket for the body and rims though.

PPF and CC,,, you will always still have to use a bit of force to remove some fall out. It never all just wipes off..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Gauss:

I think it works best if you have a layer of wax on it.

Still tempted to put a wax on mine, even though it has a CC on it..Smiley...

Quite miss the wax on wax off sweaty work out Smiley.... 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Yeah, I've had tried ceramic coatings on my prior car.  It was okay, but maintenance to prevent water spotting is a pain.  And don't believe anyone that tells you it will last years or charge you an insane amount of money.  Ceramic coatings are 1-3um thick and when you add additional layers it does not an additional 3um more of coating for each layer.  3 layers of ceramic coating when measured in controlled testing ends up being like 4-5um at most.  They also don't protect against rock chips, think about how thick PPF is versus a 1-3um coating.

I've gone back to a polymer based coating, sealant and a more traditional wax (AMMO products).  I personally just like the way it makes the paint look.  The front of my car has PPF that I want to remove at some point, and I just topped it with the sealant.  I don't think it hurts to have more soap on the car.  It will help add a little lubrication when scrubbing with your pad, mitt, whatever.  Using a non-ph balanced soap to strip off your coatings, sure it helps to let that sit on there.  I see value in that. 

But for the people that spray foam, then rinse, then wash, I think that is a total waste.  Look how white the soap on the ground is...

Agree. 

CC helped but as I say, some fall out will still not gently come off...I think all these coatings were born and quickly promoted because of the famous acidic bird crap. I remember back in the day when some bastard bird shat on my brand new shiny Ford RS, right on the front bonnet. It left a terrible stain that just would not polish out, I was well cheesed off indecision...

But even now with CC’s. I still remove the dreaded bird poop straight away..kiss.....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

So far as I know, soap's main function is to break the water's surface tension.  A foam cannon application looks more theatrical, but does it clean better?  Washing with deionized water would be much higher on my wish list.

Jim_in_Iowa:

So far as I know, soap's main function is to break the water's surface tension.  A foam cannon application looks more theatrical, but does it clean better?  Washing with deionized water would be much higher on my wish list.

I agree, it’s a bit silly, but I do it mainly because I like how it looks.  I always do my final rinse with deionized water.

Helped out my buddy a little on a 575 and he casually mentioned he would be correcting a 71 Daytona.  Naturally stopped by today to take a look. May not look it, but in pretty rough shape.   Apologies for any blurry pics, my hobby is detailing and clearly not photography.  Cool to see the lineage.

FAB616B1-EC81-44C6-A184-4E0B95C65218.jpeg7D8C5413-871F-4794-A80A-C1882F49F801.jpeg
    D488BF0B-8E40-411E-93A7-97E4F1AC875B.jpeg
    90DCD8C9-C6CD-4D9C-909F-CD86F8861D32.jpeg

I love the Daytona . It still looks gorgeous today .  I had it as a toy car when I was a kid and it was my favorite one . If I would buy a Ferrari it would only be a front V12 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

I love the Daytona . It still looks gorgeous today .  I had it as a toy car when I was a kid and it was my favorite one . If I would buy a Ferrari it would only be a front V12 

The way the second hand prices crumble for the V12s it might not be as unattainable in a few years. 

Sometimes living in the country has its perks.  Beautiful drive into work this morning.  Too dark in the pic, but lots of horses out running around.  So peaceful, like a Bob Ross painting.

morning drive.jpg

Beautiful kiss

I was visiting family in the countryside where I’m from last week.. nice to see that again.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Daytona and 575 are done.  Well almost, noticed inside of exhaust on Daytona was rusty so need to clean that up some 🙃.  Rear shots only.  Pics just don’t do them justice.  Click on them for better resolution.  In person the Daytona is a different more vibrant color.  What a beautiful car.

F366C6E3-FFFE-460C-A75F-1A98A7E2BBEC.jpeg
    848F2B1A-FF5C-457F-83ED-D32591078D77.jpeg
    C4129F79-EED3-479B-8D72-A720A9D6C4FF.jpeg

Fantastic ! 

While today is a solemn day for me, still felt right to drive the GT3 to work being 9/11.  It's the little yellow spec in the distance  

Also sharing a pic from this weekend.  Drove around in the remnants of Gordon this weekend.  The Sport Cup 2's definitely don't like standing water.  But overall pretty impressed with the grip they offered.  It was raining quite hard at times.  Thanks to a Bluelines like filter the car looks super clean!

work.jpg
    1536671831263rain.jpg

You car is the joy of the parking lot kiss

Bluelines would saturate more  indecision Looks good ! 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

No risk of getting lost in the parking lot 

Enmanuel:

No risk of getting lost in the parking lot 

Smiley It was still pretty early in the morning when I took the pic, but even full it's still all shades of gray.

Gnil:

You car is the joy of the parking lot kiss

Bluelines would saturate more  indecision Looks good ! 

Nice car! Smiley but yes, the last photo is a bit pale. Dial up the saturation a notch or ten Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752823 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430468 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868078 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801664 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM