Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

For all you disbelievers of the GT-R answer this

question.

" HOW IS IT THAT THE 997 GT2 WITH 530 HP AND WEIGHTS ABOUT 3200LBS CAN HAVE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME PERFORMANCE AS THE CGT WHICH HAS 612HP AND WEIGHTS about 150lbs LESS THAN THE GT2?

Is Porsche fudging the hp for the GT2?

Is Porsche fudging the performance times of the GT2?

Is it the driver?

Is it technology?

Or does the GT2 defy physics and only Porsche can make that happen?

Is it possible that technology that maximizes performance was incorporated in the GT2 and GT-R or are you all stuck with manual transmission and fail to grasp the what technology can do for performance?

Can it be that the GT2 was designed and built by Nissan?

Re: For all you disbelievers of the GT-R answer th

Tires...

Re: For all you disbelievers of the GT-R answer this

One difference would be the torque curve of the 997 GT2 is vastly flatter from very low rpms' to near redline. CGT has a much narrower power sweet-spot (very high in the revs). Although the CGT has higher peak power (at sea level), I think the GT2 may have more usable power in most situations (and much more than the CGT at higher elevations).

I think the 997 GT2's launch control (and ability to build boost before take-off) is largely responsible for its amazing straight-line dragstrip speed.

I imagine (never having driven either) that they are VERY different driving experiences, despite their close objective numbers.

There is something called TORQUE Nick, you may want to look it up

I really don't care

In GT2 case answers are:

-Tires: Michelin Cups are speically designed in collaboration between Michelin and Porsche(NO specs) and they are actually also very good for normal street use as well

-New PASM: new PASM is also tuned much differently then PASM on normal 997 Turbo.

-Aerodynamics: GT2 is probably the only sportscar that is producing DOWNFORCE at front and rear. It means amazing straight line and curve stability even at very high speed. Kudos to Porsche technical stuff about this achivment since aerodynamically GT2 is a true masterpiece.

-Traction: with use of more agressive LSD that is working together with PSM it is possible to achive excellent traction for RWD only car. End result-on wet handling track GT2 is despite RWD faster more then 2s then AWD 997 Turbo...

-manual gearbox: it is pretty clear that manual gearbox is actually an advantage over DSG in above average driver hands on track like Nordschliefe. Why? Talk to some race drivers from Europe, not old farts from USA that like 997 Turbo TIP...

F430 scud is also supposedly as fast as Enzo at Fiorano (source is F). It is possible.

Quote:
    eclou said:

The Ring times are almost identical. How much does torque have to do with a 7.32 run assuming the GT2 has more than the CGT which is very debateable.

I don't think torque is the key, the driver of the CGT would keep the revs up...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    In GT2 case answers are:

-Tires: Michelin Cups are speically designed in collaboration between Michelin and Porsche(NO specs) and they are actually also very good for normal street use as well

-New PASM: new PASM is also tuned much differently then PASM on normal 997 Turbo.

-Aerodynamics: GT2 is probably the only sportscar that is producing DOWNFORCE at front and rear. It means amazing straight line and curve stability even at very high speed. Kudos to Porsche technical stuff about this achivment since aerodynamically GT2 is a true masterpiece.

-Traction: with use of more agressive LSD that is working together with PSM it is possible to achive excellent traction for RWD only car. End result-on wet handling track GT2 is despite faster more then 2s then AWD 997 Turbo...

-manual gearbox: it is pretty clear that manual gearbox is actually an advantage over DSG in above average driver hands on track like Nordschliefe. Why? Talk to some race drivers from Europe, not old farts from USA that like 997 Turbo TIP...

I witnessed first hand the CGT taken apart piece by piece and the two automobile experts were blown away as to how well the car was designed for speed. I doubt very much that the GT2 is any better in design.

However, assuming the reasons you laid out are valid then why can't technology arguments be made for the GT-R against the 911's?

Who says the GT2 really makes 530 hp?

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Who says the GT2 really makes 530 hp?

hehehe

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    In GT2 case answers are:

-Traction: with use of more agressive LSD that is working together with PSM it is possible to achive excellent traction for RWD only car. End result-on wet handling track GT2 is despite faster more then 2s then AWD 997 Turbo...

I witnessed first hand the CGT taken apart piece by piece and the two automobile experts were blown away as to how well the car was designed for speed. I doubt very much that the GT2 is any better in design.

However, assuming the reasons you laid out are valid then why can't technology arguments be made for the GT-R against the 911's?

Since you asked about GT-R technology I can ask also why is Nissan:

-starting the sales of GT-R in EU in March 2009?
    -still do not publish final hp, CO2 emissions and fuel consumption data for Eu market?
    -not publishing final weight figure for EU specs GT-R?

See my point? GT-R will receive some changes for EU market...

When a truly respectfull magazine like German Sport Auto fully measures GT-R we will know the truth.

Even EVO stuff said in recent articles about GT-R:"..we need to try EU specs RHD GT-R before making any final judgement."

True, but what would be the point of delivering souped up US and Japan cars but not in europe?

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    True, but what would be the point of delivering souped up US and Japan cars but not in europe?

Mass internet hysteria or hyp...

Let's be serious-either EU GT-Rs will have different power ratings or will be tuned down...

What is your bet-more power or tuned down?

Well no need to bet, why would they have announced 480 hp then? If they planned on having more power, the would have done it already.

I suspect like Corvette, they do not anticipate a large market for the car in Europe. Europeans are notorious for staying within their family of products.

Why spend a lot of time and money on the car for Europe spec when they can better use the resources selling in the ROW? Honestly, the Sportauto test will be meaningless. It will be dated by at least two years and the car tested rather benign.

Quote:
    nberry said:However, assuming the reasons you laid out are valid then why can't technology arguments be made for the GT-R against the 911's?

Because if you add 300Kg (+660lbs) to the GT2 it won't even be close to the CGT at the ring

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

US cars might be de-tuned, as well. Stay tuned....

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I suspect like Corvette, they do not anticipate a large market for the car in Europe. Europeans are notorious for staying within their family of products.

Why spend a lot of time and money on the car for Europe spec when they can better use the resources selling in the ROW? Honestly, the Sportauto test will be meaningless. It will be dated by at least two years and the car tested rather benign.

Huh... You are wrong regarding Vette... It is selling very good in EU. Corvette Europe(also selling Caddy) needs to boost number of Vettes for 2009...

Regarding GT-R you are again wrong... All UK and German cars for 2009 are sold out... Also since Euro is much stronger then Uncle Sam $ it makes a nice point for Nissan to sell more GT-Rs in EU then ROW. BUT, EU regulations are some other story...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:However, assuming the reasons you laid out are valid then why can't technology arguments be made for the GT-R against the 911's?

Because if you add 300Kg (+660lbs) to the GT2 it won't even be close to the CGT at the ring

Carlos, would you not have to give the additional hp to the GT2 (612) and that would make them even again (i.e. 997 TT 480hp; the GT-R 480 but weight difference is about 350lbs)?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Huh... You are wrong regarding Vette... It is selling very good in EU. Corvette Europe(also selling Caddy) needs to boost number of Vettes for 2009...

Regarding GT-R you are again wrong... All UK and German cars for 2009 are sold out... Also since Euro is much stronger then Uncle Sam $ it makes a nice point for Nissan to sell more GT-Rs in EU then ROW. BUT, EU regulations are some other story...

Well those in the know disagree with your Corvette assessment.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/208946/chevrolet_corvette.html

The reason why the GT-r is sold out in Europe has nothing to do with its popularity but with allocations. Very few have been allocated to Europe.

Problem is in Kroymans Group, not in low demand for Vette. Belive me... For the money all Vette versions are best buys IMHO.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    question.

" HOW IS IT THAT THE 997 GT2 WITH 530 HP AND WEIGHTS ABOUT 3200LBS CAN HAVE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME PERFORMANCE AS THE CGT WHICH HAS 612HP AND WEIGHTS about 150lbs LESS THAN THE GT2?

Easier answer than you expect: the GT2 does not "essentially" offer the same performance as the CGT

The CGT is faster than the GT2:

NBR: 1s (Sportauto) to 4s (WR time claimed by Porsche)
    HHR: 1s (based on Sportauto)

While these differences are not insignificant they become HUGE if you consider the old tire technology used on the CGT. On identical tires the CGT would be probably 5s quicker on the NBR and at least 2s on the HHR.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:

The Ring times are almost identical. How much does torque have to do with a 7.32 run assuming the GT2 has more than the CGT which is very debateable.

I posted an article here a while back where Walter Rohrl explains why the GT2 was faster around the ring. Tires. Look it up if you really care, and I know you don't.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:

I posted an article here a while back where Walter Rohrl explains why the GT2 was faster around the ring. Tires. Look it up if you really care, and I know you don't.

Joe, do you really believe tires would make a difference between a CGT which was bred by Porsche for racing (and they equipped it with inferior tires while trying to set a Ring record ) and the GT2 which weighs more and has almost 90 less hp?

If you believe that then you would have no difficulty in believing the the GT-R is much faster than the TT even though it weighs about 300lbs more and has the same hp.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:

Joe, do you really believe tires would make a difference between a CGT which was bred by Porsche for racing (and they equipped it with inferior tires while trying to set a Ring record ) and the GT2 which weighs more and has almost 90 less hp?

If you believe that then you would have no difficulty in believing the the GT-R is much faster than the TT even though it weighs about 300lbs more and has the same hp.

Actually, most CGTs weigh in at around 1500 kg, so the GT2 isn't heavier. Second, turbocharged cars have a much broader torque curve than N/A cars. Yes, tyres are massively important. Porsche claimed a 7:42 Nring for the MPSC-equipped Turbo and 7:49 for one with PS2 tyres. The difference is staggering.

Quote:
    nberry said:

I don't believe the GT-R is faster than the TT with the same HP. But we'll never know because it makes at least 50HP more.

The CGT had street tires on it when WR did his lap at the 'ring, the GT2 had semi-slicks.

Your own signature says you'll never win a race unless you understand how tires work, so we shouldn't need to explain this to you.

asides from the Nring, on which times can be highly influenced and scewed as the track is so large, on the Hring and Autoitalia's test, the GT2 was not on par with a Carrera GT.

Holy hell tire technology changes so fast it's 4 years seperating the two models (CGT and GT2). Wasn't the CGT equipped with PS2s, if it were wearing MPSC then things would be in favor for the CGT once again. If tires didn't make any significant difference in tenths, hundredths, or thousandths of a second then i'm sure F1 cars wouldn't have a special blend of tire for every race.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436995 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261287 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258128 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82718 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809498 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM