Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

Whoopsy:
    DaveGordon:
    Whoopsy:
    I even slept in the LWB during the 918 road trip.

That's quite an achievement!  They're bolt-upright in the 918..

I was THAT tired Smiley

I always found that putting on the 6 point belts and leaning forward with a pillow against the wheel was a good way to sleep. You were held by gravity and it was better than trying to lean back a few degrees. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Just checked the Internet. In Germany there are 29 offers of new GT2RS Smiley You could say the market is being flooded. None of the cars seem to sell though for weeks and often months... It seems Porsche maxed out the possible price/production number mix. They milked all cows. Higher prices are not market clearing it seems.

The good thing is that it will discourage the speculators 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Gnil:

Smiley

Smiley

Gnil:

That is true Smiley

same here...first few cars went straight on flipping mode...angry

hope they will never move indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWU6Tx11Ls

Is it me or did it look like he was going really slow, and I mean really slow? ... he was raving about the car's dinamics, and tires and bla bla bla, yet it looked like he was on a continuous cool down lap yes

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Is it me or did it look like he was going really slow, and I mean really slow? ... he was raving about the car's dinamics, and tires and bla bla bla, yet it looked like he was on a continuous cool down lap yes

Tim Burton isn't really a driver, more of a presenter. Smiley

Sometimes I wonder if he gets his personal cars based on (future) value or driving fun. Not sure. Smiley

Also, I am not sure what the deal with that GT3 of his is (he was the first to be able to watch the production of his own car and even be involved in it), since he has Frankfurt license plates (my guess is, he registered a company in Germany but this could also be some sort of rental/lease deal of some sort).

Doesn't matter, he does good quality videos but I still think he should let someone else do the talking. Smiley My kids stopped watching him (I still do because I watch all kind of videos), my wife gets a gag effect whenever she sees him...so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

I have a morbid curiosity about the content but can't bring myself to watch.. angry

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

I have a morbid curiosity about the content but can't bring myself to watch.. angry

Most of the popular (private) commercial car channels on YouTube are interesting but they often deliver only one thing: Entertainment and advertisements. Sometimes interesting, sometimes boring. Depends.

None of the car channels are perfect and some are outright ridiculous and more of a self-promoting platform or whatever (have you watched TGE TV or Archie Hamilton Racing? Smiley) but usually, you get some entertaining stuff which could even be helpful to make a buying decision.

--

DaveGordon:

Smiley Do it! they say it builds character and disciplineSmiley  ... I have to admit jumped to the track bits and only held it for a few seconds on each place, as soon as I reached my threshold I would jump a few minds forward... 

BTW, a question to our GB members, is that accent he has a real accent of a pretend accent like BBC presenters put on to give the news? It strikes me as a bit annoying or maybe I'm just being unfairly biased now and everything anoys me...
    --

I find his videos interesting. His passion for cars is obvious and can be infectious. Don’t let envy deter you from watching his videos. They can be informative and entertaining.

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:

I find his videos interesting. His passion for cars is obvious and can be infectious. Don’t let envy deter you from watching his videos. They can be informative and entertaining.

Smiley Seriously?

--

nberry:

What exactly are we supposed to be envious of? He is a nice guy , but we (knowledgeable sports car enthusiasts/ owners) are not his target audience.

nberry:

I agree. He likes to talk about every single nerdy detail about the car he is filming. That is interesting.

But I understand that some people don't like his nerdy style...or his fake "cheers" Smiley.

This video about GT2 RS was also interesting because he talked about Dunlop tyres and a new "beta" tyre they were testing which had 40% more grip. I've watched him for many years and I think I never seen him so choked about a cars performance. He felt a bit sick at the end due to insane corner grip/aero the car has.

But on videos I skip over 50% of content because its boring Smiley

I refuse to click. Most of these "reviews" are vacuous.

Topspeed:
    nberry:

I agree. He likes to talk about every single nerdy detail about the car he is filming. That is interesting.

But I understand that some people don't like his nerdy style...or his fake "cheers" Smiley.

This video about GT2 RS was also interesting because he talked about Dunlop tyres and a new "beta" tyre they were testing which had 40% more grip. I've watched him for many years and I think I never seen him so choked about a cars performance. He felt a bit sick at the end due to insane corner grip/aero the car has.

But on videos I skip over 50% of content because its boring Smiley

The issue at hand is not necessarily the content, it can be entertaining and sometimes even interesting.

The issue at hand is the person who sits in front of the camera. Parker Nierenstein from Vehicle Virgins is no beauty either or that tattoo guy from Daily Driven Exotics but they have a nice way to present themselves and the cars, Tim Burton is just annoying. Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

BTW, a question to our GB members, is that accent he has a real accent of a pretend accent like BBC presenters put on to give the news? It strikes me as a bit annoying or maybe I'm just being unfairly biased now and everything anoys me...
    --

It is a real accent I would describe it as medium public school (traditional fee paying boarding school)  nothing like as plummy as the royals which are full on public school rahs...

Tim posts on the UK private Facebook Mclaren owners site and does seem to be a genuine nice bloke.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

TB993tt:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

It is a real accent I would describe it as medium public school (traditional fee paying boarding school)  nothing like as plummy as the royals which are full on public school rahs...

Tim posts on the UK private Facebook Mclaren owners site and does seem to be a genuine nice bloke.

Nobody said he isn't nice... Smiley Most of us don't even know him.

--

crayphile:
    nberry:

What exactly are we supposed to be envious of? He is a nice guy , but we (knowledgeable sports car enthusiasts/ owners) are not his target audience.

He has access to car manufacturers and their models which most of us don't have and would like to have. His target audience does include knowledgeable sports car owners. That's why car makers give him the access.

Give credit when its due.

--

TB993tt:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Interesting, to me (as a non native speaker and more familiar with NA accents) it sounded so neutral and lacking any identifying feature that in my ignorance I thought it was artificially so. Thanks for the insight Smiley

I'm sure he is, that is often the case, and to be fair he doesn't come across as a bad person or a prick at all, just in his videos he is annoying to watch, maybe because of how he talks without pauses, the forced perpetual smile, maybe because he focuses of superficial things on the car and not the real substance that make you feel like you are wasting your time listening and is irritating, I don't know. 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    I'm sure he is, that is often the case, and to be fair he doesn't come across as a bad person or a prick at all, just in his videos he is annoying to watch, maybe because of how he talks without pauses, the forced perpetual smile, maybe because he focuses of superficial things on the car and not the real substance that make you feel like you are wasting your time listening and is irritating, I don't know. 

You hit the nail on the head. The target audience is much younger than us and probably does not own these cars (yet). There is little genuine content for the committed sports car owner /enthusiast. On the positive side hopefully he is informing and inspiring the next generation of Petrolheads even as we face the tidal wave of electrification. The manufacturers love him because its almost entirely positive content and they pay for the exposure to the millions of eyeballs. Its the world we live in and we are going to have to suffer inane fools like MrJWW at the launch of cars we love I am afraid. My heart sinks when these Vlogger ,Johny come lately types, get to go to launches in Maranello for instance SmileySmiley.

Phew. Watched it. A nice position to be in to be invited to such events - must have been a lot of fun. As others have said it’s his relentless enthusiasm and stream of positivity which gets him these opportunities. I don’t feel I learnt a lot though - only so many times you can say the tyres are sticky and the car is fast. I’m thinking if Chris Harris had done the same, I’d have got a lot deeper insight into how it really feels.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

You're all missing the point. His videos are not designed to instruct or provide reasons why you should buy a particular car. His videos provide exposure to the car on the internet.. Interested parties can further investigate whether the car is something they would buy. NOTHING MORE.

As far as his audience is concerned, make no mistake car enthusiast do watch his videos including those on this blog. Taking a supercilious better than thou attitude regarding his videos is just wrong.enlightened

--

I'm a GT2RS junkie, enjoy watching any videos of that car, by anyone, not paying any attention to whoever is doing the presentation, just enjoying that car being driven or even parked.

nberry:
    crayphile:
    nberry:

He has access to car manufacturers and their models which most of us don't have and would like to have. His target audience does include knowledgeable sports car owners. That's why car makers give him the access.

Give credit when its due.

You'd think that... Smiley Smiley If I would show/post information about what I see and learn, I would make a million hits on YouTube in a day. Smiley My BMW buddy alone has a different mule in the garage (next to my R8) almost every day and I won't even talk about Porsche models and a particular Audi model Smiley Why I don't do it? Simple: People would loose their jobs and I would probably be cut off from access. Also, I doubt that I am sexy enough to look good on camera, setting aside my job and family, which also take most of my time. I do not run only my "business" but also my wife's (tech, administrative stuff, financials).

His target audience are adolescents and kids, this is something car makers may or may not know, they are probably planning for the future or thinking about their (audience) parents.

How does he has access to car manufacturers? Simple marketing: He runs a company, he is clever, he is connected and he offers his "services" for a fee. Or did you really think he does this stuff for free? Smiley He has a production director, he has a camera man, he has a marketing director and a couple of other employees. This is no one man job, even if dear Tim loves to make it look that way.

--

SA supertest: 6.58!!!

Boyko23:

SA supertest: 6.58!!!

This is impressive indeed. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM