Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:

Porsche North America neutered that image by not giving us the cage, so the biggest draw of the car is already a moot point. It is not a track day special without a cage and 6 point.

why switch seats just because OEM cage is not allowed?

you know it is very easy to put aftermarket cage in.  I got RSS cage in my RS and it works perfectly.

if your GT2RS don't see track time, then I say there is no reason to buy it at all.

BTW, I am tracking at Area 27 this Saturday.  Maybe I'll see you there.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

As repeated many times before, our North American body in white is different than RoW. Porsche leave out all the reinforcements in the body regarding the cage's mounting points. 

Aftermarket cages will not be safe. If they don't reinforce the mounting points, on impact, the cage will just punch right through the body. And if they do, who is to say they will do a matching job as from the factory? Do they go though the same testing procedures as Porsche do?

In the end, the cage is not a vanity thing, that 'look I got a cage in my GT2RS!' It's all about safety. 

--

Don't add cage aftermarket if you don't have the mounting points...that is nuts angry

it will never work...and highly unsafeenlightened

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:
    Joost:

Gt2 CS?

Remember seeing that strange thing testing in Italy on Youtube?

Ah ok, cool! I had no idea. Should be interesting kiss

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Whoopsy:

Now that I have like 3+ months of wait before I get my GT2RS, I picked up this crazy idea that I wanted to switch the seats from LWB to sofa.

Today I changed my order from LWB to Sofas for my Touring. I want it to be my DD, not trying to impress others with the seats made, so I think I made the the best decision for me. Do what you think best for you. 

AP911:
    Whoopsy:

Now that I have like 3+ months of wait before I get my GT2RS, I picked up this crazy idea that I wanted to switch the seats from LWB to sofa.

Today I changed my order from LWB to Sofas for my Touring. I want it to be my DD, not trying to impress others with the seats made, so I think I made the the best decision for me. Do what you think best for you. 

That said, the LWB are comfortable, it wouldn't reduce the useabilty of your touring. Or get the folding buckets instead? I did 2000km with the GT3 last week and it was perfectly fine with the LWB's.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Done 2300miles in my LWB with no comfort issues. Love them. 

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Porker:
    AP911:
    Whoopsy:

That said, the LWB are comfortable, it wouldn't reduce the useabilty of your touring. Or get the folding buckets instead? I did 2000km with the GT3 last week and it was perfectly fine with the LWB's.

You Europeans can have the folding buckets, we can't. I much prefer the folding ones.

Between the GT3RS, the 918, the 911R, the GT3, plus all the Porsche driving schools and driving events, I have more than 30,000km seat time in those buckets. Longest drive is around 8+ hrs with a pee break in between. That was in the 918. I even slept in the LWB during the 918 road trip. Actually I will be doing another long road trip to Rennsport this Sept in the 918 again.

Are they uncomfortable? Not really, once you are in they felt pretty good, but I prefer the folding bucket's shape more. And the Recaro race seat in my ClubSport actually feel even more comfortable. In the perfect world, I would have spec the folding buckets, it folds to access the rear storage area like the sofas, 

But I do miss the sofa seats, infinitely adjustable.

To complicate matters, I completely forgot about my Exclusive. That one already have the sofas and is also a great grand tourer if I choose to. So the GT2RS could theoretically keep the LWB............

I simple have too much time on my hand waiting for the damn car. Keep second guessing my options. I am cosntantly switching back and forth between black and yellow and the wheel colours from black to gold back to black back to gold. Now the seats too.

--

Whoopsy:
    I even slept in the LWB during the 918 road trip.

That's quite an achievement!  They're bolt-upright in the 918..

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

For a DD , the inconvenience with the buckets would not be the confort ( they are very confortable ) , but getting in and out  them , specially in tight parking spaces that could be annoying . At the same time, they force you to stay fit and supple indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

I was set with the buckets but when I was informed that deviated stitching would cause a 2 months delay and no more Sapphire Blue I changed the whole spec of the car. Went with Chalk/Crayon, carbon fiber mirrors and triangle, 4 way seats. The only issue I had with the buckets when I sat in them was the shoulder width bothered me so made the easy choice of going with the known and tested. But I really like the look of the buckets. Tried to get the folding buckets but new regulation in the UAE mandates that every car must have a factory fitted fire extinguisher which can’t be specced with the folding buckets. Again I want to drIve it every day so maybe the Sofas are best suited for that. 

best are 997 RS Nomex seats - most comfortable bucket ever.

AP911:

I was set with the buckets but when I was informed that deviated stitching would cause a 2 months delay and no more Sapphire Blue I changed the whole spec of the car. Went with Chalk/Crayon, carbon fiber mirrors and triangle, 4 way seats. The only issue I had with the buckets when I sat in them was the shoulder width bothered me so made the easy choice of going with the known and tested. But I really like the look of the buckets. Tried to get the folding buckets but new regulation in the UAE mandates that every car must have a factory fitted fire extinguisher which can’t be specced with the folding buckets. Again I want to drIve it every day so maybe the Sofas are best suited for that. 

You can ask what is the V status of your car. I told you before that Sapphire blue is gone...not sure there are any allocation distributed yet for september...Smiley

Sofa is perfectly suited with the Touring by the way. 4 ways are very good for instance. I used to have them and we made great drive across Europe with them. best time ever. I have 918 style now, they are great but access to the rear with the cage is a challenge Smiley I don't mind though, mainly track car and spirited drive machine. this one will not park in front of malls Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:
    Porker:
    AP911:
    Whoopsy:

You Europeans can have the folding buckets, we can't. I much prefer the folding ones.

Between the GT3RS, the 918, the 911R, the GT3, plus all the Porsche driving schools and driving events, I have more than 30,000km seat time in those buckets. Longest drive is around 8+ hrs with a pee break in between. That was in the 918. I even slept in the LWB during the 918 road trip. Actually I will be doing another long road trip to Rennsport this Sept in the 918 again.

Are they uncomfortable? Not really, once you are in they felt pretty good, but I prefer the folding bucket's shape more. And the Recaro race seat in my ClubSport actually feel even more comfortable. In the perfect world, I would have spec the folding buckets, it folds to access the rear storage area like the sofas, 

To complicate matters, I completely forgot about my Exclusive. That one already have the sofas and is also a great grand tourer if I choose to. So the GT2RS could theoretically keep the LWB............

I simple have too much time on my hand waiting for the damn car. Keep second guessing my options. I am cosntantly switching back and forth between black and yellow and the wheel colours from black to gold back to black back to gold. Now the seats too.

Black on black Nick, black on black! If you by chance have been smoking the legal stuff you smoke over there and feel really wild and crazy, you could go mag gold rims on black. But Nick, my friend, NOT yellow..... Thats just for the YouTube watchers that saw the record lap, NOT for you.....SmileySmileySmiley

the-missile:
    AP911:

You can ask what is the V status of your car. I told you before that Sapphire blue is gone...not sure there are any allocation distributed yet for september...Smiley

Sofa is perfectly suited with the Touring by the way. 4 ways are very good for instance. I used to have them and we made great drive across Europe with them. best time ever. I have 918 style now, they are great but access to the rear with the cage is a challenge Smiley I don't mind though, mainly track car and spirited drive machine. this one will not park in front of malls Smiley

Yes you did, you know how enthusiasts know more than sales associates. My status is v180, its a July allocation. 

If I park it in front of DM, I  will post it here indecision

The farmer:
    Whoopsy:
    Porker:
    AP911:
    Whoopsy:

Black on black Nick, black on black! If you by chance have been smoking the legal stuff you smoke over there and feel really wild and crazy, you could go mag gold rims on black. But Nick, my friend, NOT yellow..... Thats just for the YouTube watchers that saw the record lap, NOT for you.....SmileySmileySmiley

Dude I am having my mid life crisis! 

The last 3 cars I have bought are not black. The blue GT3, the white Alfa and the gold Turbo S. The last black car I bought was the Aston last Sept before the GT3. 

No wait. I bought the Aston before the Golf R, which is blue. So that's 4 cars in row that's not black.

--

the-missile:

Don't add cage aftermarket if you don't have the mounting points...that is nuts angry

it will never work...and highly unsafeenlightened

I know what you mean, but do not fully agree.

My aftermarket cage is one piece, and is bolted and welded.  Is it not as safe as OEM one?  maybe, but no one knows for sure.

OEM clubsport package is not available to order for Canada, so my choice is either track it without any cage, or do the aftermarket one.  For me, answer is definitely add aftermarket cage than having nothing.

Besides, it is just a half cage at the back.  The main purpose for me is for 6 pts harness mounting, but not rollover protection.

Even the factory clubsport package for this GT2RS is just half cage if I'm not wrong.  I don't think rollover protection is their main purpose anyway.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Gnil:

For a DD , the inconvenience with the buckets would not be the confort ( they are very confortable ) , but getting in and out  them , specially in tight parking spaces that could be annoying . At the same time, they force you to stay fit and supple

one more reason for me to keep up my daily yoga routine:::)))

DaveGordon:
    Whoopsy:

I was THAT tired Smiley

--

pmarkow:
    Gnil:

For a DD , the inconvenience with the buckets would not be the confort ( they are very confortable ) , but getting in and out  them , specially in tight parking spaces that could be annoying . At the same time, they force you to stay fit and supple

one more reason for me to keep up my daily yoga routine:::)))

Smiley my weekly one helps a lot too 

--

As to gold rims ...... for me they are already '' passé ''  . I was sitting on a terrasse  at a café last week end in town , all the saturday night young guys  cruising up and down the street with their tuned BMW's , Honda's , etc....  So many had gold rims surprise Must be full fashion . That means  '' passé'' for me . I'll stick to black 

--

Black with gold rims looks good to me...

Smiley

Whoopsy:
    DaveGordon:
    Whoopsy:

I was THAT tired Smiley

My gf slept in the LWB's on the autobahn at 300km/h, never imagined that was physically possible.Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Gnil:

As to gold rims ...... for me they are already '' passé ''  . I was sitting on a terrasse  at a café last week end in town , all the saturday night young guys  cruising up and down the street with their tuned BMW's , Honda's , etc....  So many had gold rims surprise Must be full fashion . That means  '' passé'' for me . I'll stick to black 

Argovia is infested by black M3 with gold or copper coloured wheels Smiley The latest aftermarket fashion indeed.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Porker:
    Whoopsy:
    DaveGordon:
    Whoopsy:

I was THAT tired Smiley

My gf slept in the LWB's on the autobahn at 300km/h, never imagined that was physically possible.Smiley

In the 918 the buckets are like another 10-15 degrees upright. It's almost vertical.

But then again my mom told me when I was a kid I once fell asleep standing inside a car...................

--

TheGt2 is a special car and should be noticed. Painting it black is to hide it. Have you noticed that all the test models are black? 

Gold wheels can look good with the right color. That said, 90% of gold wheels do not belong on the cars. If your a Rapper and seek celebrity status gold my be right. But you will need gold jewelry to go with them.

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

GT2RS can be in various shade and still pops but yellow maya enlightened

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

"Dude I am having my mid life crisis! "

I'm sorry Whoopsy, first the color thing and now the sofas: It is not a mid life crises.

There is an old man living inside your young body.

Kobalt:

"Dude I am having my mid life crisis! "

I'm sorry Whoopsy, first the color thing and now the sofas: It is not a mid life crises.

There is an old man living inside your young body.

Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Porsche 991 GT2 RS in Brewster Green...  1527608803154image.gif

1527782429201image.jpeg

...how do you like them apples? 

image.gif

Those wheels are so nice. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688075 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408501 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234685 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857416 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773075 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM