Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Alpine A110

Gnil:
    reginos:
    Also in the English language edition of the CAR magazine there is an equally positive drive narrative. Although they chose the Ford Fiesta ST as their comparison benchmark.

When I tried the car , the salesman was always talking about the Cayman . On the luxury, finishing feel , quality of materials , the Alpine is definitely under a Cayman . Even thought there are  carbon bits here and there , everything feels '' lighter '' , less solid . Maybe that's why they compare it to the Fiesta . I sat in a Fiesta RS the same day . The Fiesta feels very under the Alpine as to the interior . The Fiesta interior is common, the Alpine is unique with lots of details . Center console is slightly like in a Mc-Laren .

Forget the comparison with the normal Cayman. Get a used GT4 instead. Put PS4 tires on it and use as a DD. You can’t get more manual DD fun than that indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Gnil:
    reginos:
    Also in the English language edition of the CAR magazine there is an equally positive drive narrative. Although they chose the Ford Fiesta ST as their comparison benchmark.

When I tried the car , the salesman was always talking about the Cayman . On the luxury, finishing feel , quality of materials , the Alpine is definitely under a Cayman . Even thought there are  carbon bits here and there , everything feels '' lighter '' , less solid . Maybe that's why they compare it to the Fiesta . I sat in a Fiesta RS the same day . The Fiesta feels very under the Alpine as to the interior . The Fiesta interior is common, the Alpine is unique with lots of details . Center console is slightly like in a Mc-Laren .

The more I think about it,  the Alpine is in a class of its own without direct  rivals. This is the strength of this car.

However, the price is steep. For many people who really like the Alpine it cannot be an additional fun car for their free time.

On the other hand it has so many expensive components and it would be impossible to bring it to the market at a very affordable price, say 35.000 EUR so that it easily sells to become a kind of European MX-5 or GT86.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Just the fact that it is compared to a Cayman makes it a winner already. And since it seems to have more soul...

Gnil:
    reginos:

The interior must be a big part of the light weight - the bespoke Al chassis too, obviously, but luxury leather-clad everything interiors are surprisingly heavy.  Also, the visibility of the carbon bits Gnil refers to are presumably intended- a visual reminder of how light the car is.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I wish Renault good luck with the Alpine but I'm afraid it will follow the 4C's fate. The Megane RS is way too good (and price wise much more interesting). We'll see...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

we can't really compare the Megane RS and the Alpine...it is really different categories.

front engine, front wheel drive and tweaked to track capabilities.

real coupe, center engine, rear wheel drive...tweaked to mountain roads with track capability...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

we can't really compare the Megane RS and the Alpine...it is really different categories.

front engine, front wheel drive and tweaked to track capabilities.

real coupe, center engine, rear wheel drive...tweaked to mountain roads with track capability...

I hope you're right but I don't see someone who is seriously interested in getting a Boxster or a Cayman, getting an Alpine instead. Or maybe the Alpine will attract a completely different clientele than the Megane RS: I could imagine some nostalgic car lovers and/or people who love the French lifestyle. I assume Renault conducted some thorough marketing research before launching the Alpine...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

I think that Renault were very clever not to challenge Porsche or even Audi directly with a very similar car.

Instead Renault put emphasis on low weight, so they are offering something unique that a number of drivers will appreciate in a world of increasing car weights.

OTOH they didn't do a Lotus. The Renault looks like a complete car whereas the Lotus like a toy.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

I think that Renault were very clever not to challenge Porsche or even Audi directly with a very similar car.

Instead Renault put emphasis on low weight, so they are offering something unique that a number of drivers will appreciate in a world of increasing car weights.

+1 Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

reginos:

True.

I still think this is wishful thinking of a few... People want lower weight but still buy a GT3. Smiley Smiley

OTOH they didn't do a Lotus. The Renault looks like a complete car whereas the Lotus like a toy.

They did that once and it didn't really work for them, did it? Smiley

--

RC:

I wish Renault good luck with the Alpine but I'm afraid it will follow the 4C's fate. The Megane RS is way too good (and price wise much more interesting). We'll see...

5200 orders , waiting list is over a year . Not comparable to the 4C 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Auto express with an interesting test of the Alpine A110, Porsche Cayman S, and Audi TT RS:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/103564/alpine-a110-vs-audi-tt-rs-vs-porsche-718-cayman

Gnil:
    RC:

5200 orders , waiting list is over a year . Not comparable to the 4C 

Not sure how many orders but wait list was over a year for the 4C as well in Germany... They were selling over MSRP, usually 10k over at that time.

--

Not bad for a 250 HP car !

But this car is not for doing the fastest lap . It is a car for for having pleasure on alpine or country roads , where it is probably one of the best one of all as you do not have to go over the speed limits to appreciate the car 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

The guy is spot on ! Exactly how I felt the car and loved the exact same points as him .

''This car is all about driving and not the silly figures '' 

Before you make any judgment , I highly advise anyone to go and try it out ! You will have a surprise .

At the moment this car would be number 1 on the replacement list of my daily 997 Carrera S . Then there would be the Carerra T and then the Mustang 5.0 

As you can see, I look for driving pleasure above performance for a DD 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Agree, absolutely love his reviews, and the Alpine. If I wouldn't have a dog and a baby I would seriously consider that as a daily.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

Agree, absolutely love his reviews, and the Alpine. If I wouldn't have a dog and a baby I would seriously consider that as a daily.

Do you daily the dog and the baby?smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    Porker:

Do you daily the dog and the baby?smiley

Do you daily your gt3? I will be picking up mine this coming week and I’m planning to use it as my dd. Should be able to get to work faster indecision

Gnil:

The guy is spot on ! Exactly how I felt the car and loved the exact same points as him .

''This car is all about driving and not the silly figures '' 

Before you make any judgment , I highly advise anyone to go and try it out ! You will have a surprise .

At the moment this car would be number 1 on the replacement list of my daily 997 Carrera S . Then there would be the Carerra T and then the Mustang 5.0 

As you can see, I look for driving pleasure above performance for a DD 

A friend drove the Alpine recently but wasn't too impressed (the guy who has tons of cars in his garage, incl. the Huracan Performante Spyder I posted pictures of), he wanted to get one for his girlfriend (she hates driving his AMG GT S daily driver) but both didn't like the Alpine. She now got a BMW 2 series Cab (not sure which one). Will have to drive it myself to see how it drives but my friend said that it felt too stiff and unrefined, the engine he didn't like at all.

I was thinking about getting a Mustang GT 5.0 as a daily driver but this would also mean that my daughter has to drive it from time to time and I don't want to give a 18 year old (soon) kid a 450 or 460 hp car, so I guess it will be a Mini Countryman or BMW X2 instead. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    I was thinking about getting a Mustang GT 5.0 as a daily driver 

I took one out for a short drive. It had the Recaro seats and the 10 speed auto. It sounded fantastic, was responsive and powerful enough. Handled and rode well, and felt smaller and more agile than it is, Steering is weighty and accurate but lacked feel. 10 speed auto was horrible; constantly hunting gears and not especially smooth changes.

I would get the Mustang Bullitt 

RC:

A friend drove the Alpine recently but wasn't too impressed (the guy who has tons of cars in his garage, incl. the Huracan Performante Spyder I posted pictures of), he wanted to get one for his girlfriend (she hates driving his AMG GT S daily driver) but both didn't like the Alpine. She now got a BMW 2 series Cab (not sure which one). Will have to drive it myself to see how it drives but my friend said that it felt too stiff and unrefined, the engine he didn't like at all.

I was thinking about getting a Mustang GT 5.0 as a daily driver but this would also mean that my daughter has to drive it from time to time and I don't want to give a 18 year old (soon) kid a 450 or 460 hp car, so I guess it will be a Mini Countryman or BMW X2 instead. Smiley Smiley

He would then also probably say that a GT3 is not confortable enough .

The Alpine is light and so is the inside . The car cost 60k or something . It is not confort orientated . It does not feel luxurious , but purposeful .  There is a confort version, maybe he should of tried that one ( but I don't think it is much different ) It is a fun lightweight car , The BMW in comparison is a sedan .   As to the engine, that was my weakest point ... just because I am not a fan of turbo anymore . Also the gearbox is not my favorite . Would rather have it as a manual . 

--

sfo:

I tried last week to have a test drive in the Mustang 5.0 . Impossible ! They told me every single car that comes in goes directly to customers . They could nt even keep one for test drives Smiley same with 2nd hand ones . They can't get enough of them .

I like the Bullit very much and that would also be my choice 

--

sfo:
    RC:
    I was thinking about getting a Mustang GT 5.0 as a daily driver 

I took one out for a short drive. It had the Recaro seats and the 10 speed auto. It sounded fantastic, was responsive and powerful enough. Handled and rode well, and felt smaller and more agile than it is, Steering is weighty and accurate but lacked feel. 10 speed auto was horrible; constantly hunting gears and not especially smooth changes.

Yes, nice ride (Bullit is manual only I think, not possible since I would be only one driving it) but quality is really not great (lots of plastic and that GT 5.0 convertible rental we had in Hawaii almost fell apart...). Still, great fun for the money.

--

Gnil:
    RC:

He would then also probably say that a GT3 is not confortable enough .

I doubt it...he owns a GT2 RS and had a GT3 RS. Smiley He just didn't like it but like I said, maybe he just expected something different. He owns tons of supercars, maybe the Alpine just wasn't his thing.

The Alpine is light and so is the inside . The car cost 60k or something . It is not confort orientated . It does not feel luxurious , but purposeful .  There is a confort version, maybe he should of tried that one ( but I don't think it is much different ) It is a fun lightweight car , The BMW in comparison is a sedan .   As to the engine, that was my weakest point ... just because I am not a fan of turbo anymore . Also the gearbox is not my favorite . Would rather have it as a manual . 

Like I said, I need to drive it myself to make a judgement but so far, the biggest turn-off regarding the Alpine is actually the design. Not a fan. Smiley

--

I've driven the A110 recently in both mountains and highway, including a 400kms journey and did not find the car too stiff. Is fact seemed very well sprung and comfortable for a car of these type.

xpto:

I've driven the A110 recently in both mountains and highway, including a 400kms journey and did not find the car too stiff. Is fact seemed very well sprung and comfortable for a car of these type.

and how did you like it ? 

--

Gnil:
    xpto:

and how did you like it ? 

I liked a lot

It's really good, very agile and neutral. The easiness of the direction changing was a surprise. The damping is well judged because the car does not get unsettled on bad roads and that allows a high pace on mountains which is a lot of fun. The grip is also well done so the car has more than enough pace but the rear moves in a fun and previsible way . I also liked the brakes, with good feel and power.

The gearbox is much better than i expected, (the one that was used in the clio RS was rubbish) but the engine could have a bit more hp and make a bit more rpm. Probably Alpine has that covered in the future product pipeline.

On a 400km trip it did not felt tiresome, some rolling and aerodynamic noise, but normal in this type of car. The switchgear from renault is a downside, the steering wheel buttons are not illuminated and they have 6 buttons just for the cruise controlSmiley.  but that was expectable for cost reasons.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    754262 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431198 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258775 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255704 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868680 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802488 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM