Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Axle stand/jacking points

Hello Chaps,
    The new TT will be arriving in April, and the first job will be to remove the wheels to apply some sealant.Can anyone point out to me, where the axle stand points should be?.I havent obviously had a look myself yet, but any pointers would be much appreciated, regards, SIMON.

Re: Axle stand/jacking points

See attachment for the jack points.

Quote:
    SimonH said:
    ... the first job will be to remove the wheels to apply some sealant...

I am new here. What did I miss on this one?

I'm wondering about that too. I didn't do that to mine either.

He's probably talking about some type of wax/sealant for the wheels like I put rejex on my wheels.

On the same subject what kind of jacks do you guys use? I need something to raise the car to switch between summer wheels & tires & winter wheels/tires.

That would make sense. I thought maybe he was thinking of applying those sealings that you put UNDER the car. Dealerships used to offer those types all the time. Maybe they still do.

Anyways, about floor jacks. I was in a group buy for the AC DK13HLQ a while back. Awesome jack to have. Very low profile and extremely durable. Works great with cars, trucks and SUVs with its low profile yet enormous reach.

http://designsyntax.com/catalog/tools/AC-Hydraulic3.htm

All i mean to do is to apply some wheel sealant, that protects the rims from brake dust, as it forms a protective barrier against it.Some Poorboys wheel sealant will do the trick.Thanks jeffbco for the attatchment,regards, SIMON.

Just curious which sealant do you plan to use? I use Rejex on my wheels (outside and inside)

Thanks Jason.

No problem, Gregg. What I especially like about these jacks is that the contact point is made of rubber not metal so there's no risk of damaging the undersides. I also got a set of 4 jackstands with the same rubber pads but I don't think they're from AC. I'll try to figure out who makes them if you're interested.

The attachment for the jack points doesn't show up on my page. Any suggestions why?

Quote:
    eyesurg said:
    The attachment for the jack points doesn't show up on my page. Any suggestions why?

Are you clicking on the word "attachment" beside the date & time in jeffbco's post?

Uh..., Just wondering how are we supposed to remove the jack to slip some jack stands under there? Are there "secondary" lift points to use to that end? Anybody know?

E.g. my 03 Boxster has a procedure (semi-officially-approved) for how to transfer load from jack to JS.

Looks like Dan figured it out:

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Uh..., Just wondering how are we supposed to remove the jack to slip some jack stands under there? Are there "secondary" lift points to use to that end? Anybody know?

E.g. my 03 Boxster has a procedure (semi-officially-approved) for how to transfer load from jack to JS.

Looks like Dan figured it out:

MMD,
    That is why i asked the question in the first place.The attachment only shows the jacking points, for a jack, but i was asking where to place the axle stands as well.I will be able to see when i get me car, i thought somebody could point me in the right direction, before i got on my hands and knees, regards, SIMON.

You may have to join but there is a detailed thread on this at:
    http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3404&hl=jack+stands

Not sure that TT engine has the same jack point, be careful!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    No problem, Gregg. What I especially like about these jacks is that the contact point is made of rubber not metal so there's no risk of damaging the undersides. I also got a set of 4 jackstands with the same rubber pads but I don't think they're from AC. I'll try to figure out who makes them if you're interested.

Been looking around and that jack has a great rep. It's like the Porsche of jacks. Only downside is it's price + shipping. But nothing more important than being safe right? And plus we're talking about jacking up a Porsche. Did you happen to look at the OMEGA before buying the AC? Also suppose to be a great quality low profile jack but it's less $ than the AC.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...p;ci_sku=144795

Gregg,

Like I said, I got mine as part of a group buy about 5 years ago so I was able to get it for a good price. I don't even remember what I paid but I remember it was pretty good. Besides, it's like you said, it's like the Porsches of floor jacks, right? Don't you want a "Porsche" jack in your garage. I love the fact that it matches the color of my car. The Omega one matches your car better though.

Bottom line is, you asked which one I liked and it's the AC. I love the fact that it also has an foot handle so you can add height in smaller increments if necessary too.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Gregg,

Like I said, I got mine as part of a group buy about 5 years ago so I was able to get it for a good price. I don't even remember what I paid but I remember it was pretty good. Besides, it's like you said, it's like the Porsches of floor jacks, right? Don't you want a "Porsche" jack in your garage. I love the fact that it matches the color of my car. The Omega one matches your car better though.

Bottom line is, you asked which one I liked and it's the AC. I love the fact that it also has an foot handle so you can add height in smaller increments if necessary too.

I havent shopped pricing around yet but the AC is around $550 + $60 shipping. Check this out: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1814892

you cant screw up the jacking point ...the underside has 2 gussets each side that have recessed holes that receive the pin on the factory jack

Interesting..the price has definitely gone up since I got it. I don't remember what the original price was but the group buy price was this:

1 DK13HLQ jack w/ pad - $350 + $65 shipping - $415.00
    4 3000N w/ pads - $240 + $45 shipping - $285.00

From www.ultimategarage.com

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    you cant screw up the jacking point ...the underside has 2 gussets each side that have recessed holes that receive the pin on the factory jack

That is correct. Here's a pic of the 997 hole and post-delivery-purchased jack for 997.

How the heck do you jack the car up, then slip a jack _stand_ in the place of the jack?

Aha! You have discovered the issue of HOW to put 4 jacks under a car with 4 jack ports.

What I have done is to place my jack beneath the rear jacking point and then jack up one side of the car (as you know, these are stiff bodies). You will be able to easily place a jack under the FRONT jacking recepticle then. You can then lower the car onto that one jack up front. Then shift the jack to a point beneath the rear suspension,--same side as you have the first jack placed. Using that, jack up the rear of the car,--and then place THAT second jack. You can then jack up the car on the other side to place the other two jacks simultaneously as I recall. This way you have a good solid jack (see the ones in the rear under my blue car) cushioned by a hockey puck at each of the solid jacking points. Then you can remove the hydraulic jack from the car (or leave it in for added safety). Reverse to take them out. HIGHLY recommend high quality jacks,--particularly in the rear. They obviously carry the most load.

Dan

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Interesting..the price has definitely gone up since I got it. I don't remember what the original price was but the group buy price was this:

1 DK13HLQ jack w/ pad - $350 + $65 shipping - $415.00
    4 3000N w/ pads - $240 + $45 shipping - $285.00

From www.ultimategarage.com

You got a GREAT deal. I dont even see the DK13HLQ at that site. This is interesting though, am I looking at the right jack? It says for basic tire removal the short body DK20 version is safer. 3rd paragraph
    http://www.ultimategarage.com/ach-overview.html

But will the short body version lift high enough if I wanted to remove the wheel on my SUV?

Steve from Ultimate Garage put this group buy together for us M5board members back in 2002. I don't think he usually carries the DK13HLQ. Have you decided which one you're going to go with? Either one would work well. I personally like the AC better even after reading the comparo on the Corvette forum.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Steve from Ultimate Garage put this group buy together for us M5board members back in 2002. I don't think he usually carries the DK13HLQ. Have you decided which one you're going to go with? Either one would work well. I personally like the AC better even after reading the comparo on the Corvette forum.

No, not yet, no hurry. Hopefully I wont need it until I change to my winter wheel set-up which I'm trying to get info. on now. Which tires, etc. I want to be able to switch wheel set-ups at home.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Aha! You have discovered the issue of HOW to put 4 jacks under a car with 4 jack ports.

Hey Dan! THANKS for the procedure!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764465 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436581 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261082 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257999 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82667 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876956 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809037 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM