Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help me spec my 997 please

As I've posted before I have a facelift 997 on order for Sept delivery. I spend some time at the dealer this afternoon with Mrs Mex99 and the good news is the kids fit in a back (easily actually) so I have a green light.

We spent ages on spec, I saw a Ruby Red which I had thought I would go with, but lovely as it is it is just not right somehow. My wife thinks the Greys / Silvers (I currently have Meteor on the Cayman) are a bit dull, (although did like GT Silver), but loved the black wheels on White car that they had in the showroom...The 1984 Carrera 3.2 that I saw on the cover of Fast Lane magazine (Issue 1 - I still have it) which made me want a Porsche was also white, so maybe its fate??

Anyway this is my current thought on spec, all comments much appreciated. I'm trying to achieve........Wow!! but with a sporty spec but comfortable enough to drive every day.....

I will consider the pdk as news comes through and expect bluetooth in place of the phone module.

Generation 2 997 Carrera S
    Carrera White
    19" Carrera Sport Wheels Painted Basalt Black
    Sports Seats in Black
    ParkAssist
    Red Tail lights
    Manual with Sport Shifter
    Sport Chrono
    Sports Exhaust
    Sport Seat Backrest in Exterior colour
    Heated Seats
    Floor Mats
    Instrument dials in Carrera White
    Three spoke sport steering wheel in smooth leather
    Rear section of centre console in leather
    Gear lever and handbrake in aluminium
    Door entry guards in Stainless Steel
    Extended Navigation
    Telephone module

Thanks.........

Re: Help me spec my 997 please

Hello mex99. I'm not in the UK, but I've heard that white is a no-no there. So, resale might be an issue.

How about Midnight blue with black/sand beige interior? Or whichever bright blue replaces Cobalt, if you want something more lively?

Regarding options: You've got most of the essential options. I suggest the following changes, though:
    - thicker sports steering wheel (XPA)
    - illuminated SS door entry guards (CXB)

And add the parts that should have been in the "full" leather interior, but are not:
    - door finishers (XTV) (piece around the door openers)
    - "gear lever trim" (CDZ) (it's the trim piece that is between the shifter boot and the PCM)
    - storage compartment lid with model logo (CUV) or Porsche crest (CPT) (that's because the center console in leather has stitching on the sides, but the standard storage compartment lid has not. Both options add stitching to the storage compartment lid, in addition to the logo)
    - sun visors (XMP) and dome light cover (XZD)
    - "A-pillar package" (DAA) (mirror controls, side of dashboard, and ignition rosette).

All cheap parts from the factory, and expensive to retrofit later. Great looking.

When it comes to leather, the more the merrier.

Your specs look GREAT ! I would not change a thing ! You have GOOD taste :-) Enjoy your new car whenit arrives. In the meantime, you will still be on Cloud 9 looking forward to all the fun that you will have when it comes in.....

Hi mex99, congrats on the green light.

Nice spec you've got there.

997 looks great in white, definitely worth a try. Sure it's en vogue at the moment, but I'm sure it still looks good in a couple of years.
    Carrera Sport wheels look great. Very expensive to paint them black, not sure if I would do so, even more as the spokes are already painted in GT-silver, which does look very nice IMO (moreover I'm not a big fan of black wheels ).
    Also not sure about the red taillights considering the new LED rear lights. I think you won't need them (if they still we available at all).
    And I would definitely go for full leather interior - gives a nice touch in the cabin. And the Porsche crest on the back rest - unneccessary but good looking.

Other than that - perfect spec.

One question I got for you as well: what exactly didn't you like at ruby red?

Hi,

couldn`t agree more on exterior colour as I have had my white targa 4 for a couple of months..... and think it looks fabolous.

As I use the car everyday I went for the tiptronic S, which has turned out very well in traffic jams.....

I would perhaps drop the painted white backs of the seats as the children would most surtainly scratch them with their shoes... I wanted a light interior so I went with the bicoulour black/sand with deviating black carpet (thinking of kids again) and think it turned out fresh oposite the white exterior. You also get the black carpet on the door bottom, which is a typical place to toutch with your shoes.

I am also a big fan of black wheels on a white car and the rim you have chosen would be my favourite original rim....

The illuminated door entry guards can also be had with your personal logo, and it is the one feature I get the most comments on on my car as I have my last name printed in illuminated blue on it.....just cost slightly more than the standard.... probably wont do much for resale value, but great fun

Quote:
    GT3RSjo said:
    Hi,

couldn`t agree more on exterior colour as I have had my white targa 4 for a couple of months..... and think it looks fabolous.

As I use the car everyday I went for the tiptronic S, which has turned out very well in traffic jams.....

I would perhaps drop the painted white backs of the seats as the children would most surtainly scratch them with their shoes... I wanted a light interior so I went with the bicoulour black/sand with deviating black carpet (thinking of kids again) and think it turned out fresh oposite the white exterior. You also get the black carpet on the door bottom, which is a typical place to toutch with your shoes.

I am also a big fan of black wheels on a white car and the rim you have chosen would be my favourite original rim....

The illuminated door entry guards can also be had with your personal logo, and it is the one feature I get the most comments on on my car as I have my last name printed in illuminated blue on it.....just cost slightly more than the standard.... probably wont do much for resale value, but great fun

WoW, I love those side-skirts painted in dark-grey....Is that a porsche option??? or it was just pre-installed by the owner ???

IT LOOKS GREAT !!!

Quote:
    mex99 said:
    As I've posted before I have a facelift 997 on order for Sept delivery. I spend some time at the dealer this afternoon with Mrs Mex99 and the good news is the kids fit in a back (easily actually) so I have a green light.

We spent ages on spec, I saw a Ruby Red which I had thought I would go with, but lovely as it is it is just not right somehow. My wife thinks the Greys / Silvers (I currently have Meteor on the Cayman) are a bit dull, (although did like GT Silver), but loved the black wheels on White car that they had in the showroom...The 1984 Carrera 3.2 that I saw on the cover of Fast Lane magazine (Issue 1 - I still have it) which made me want a Porsche was also white, so maybe its fate??

Anyway this is my current thought on spec, all comments much appreciated. I'm trying to achieve........Wow!! but with a sporty spec but comfortable enough to drive every day.....

I will consider the pdk as news comes through and expect bluetooth in place of the phone module.

Generation 2 997 Carrera S
    Carrera White
    19" Carrera Sport Wheels Painted Basalt Black
    Sports Seats in Black
    ParkAssist
    Red Tail lights
    Manual with Sport Shifter
    Sport Chrono
    Sports Exhaust
    Sport Seat Backrest in Exterior colour
    Heated Seats
    Floor Mats
    Instrument dials in Carrera White
    Three spoke sport steering wheel in smooth leather
    Rear section of centre console in leather
    Gear lever and handbrake in aluminium
    Door entry guards in Stainless Steel
    Extended Navigation
    Telephone module

Thanks.........

Great specced 997S, in fact that's probably how I would order it....

Anyway, can you really spec right now a 997 FL ???, Our dealer said us is not possible right now !....

I mean, we still dont know what possible options (new ones i mean) could be for the new FL, or even what options could become basic for the FL......

Anyone else can already spec their FL ???

SO much great advice already; especially about the logo or model on the arm rest to keep the stiching along the centre console. I also really like the personal illuminated door entry guards. I'll add some more leather too; certainly the door finishes - as much as my wallet can take.

Rossi, great call on the red tail lights - you are right with the LEDs it won't be necessary. Regarding the Ruby Red, it does look great, I just found it a bit too metallic - it was almost a glitzy red - it was nice just not me.

GT3RSjo - your car looks great.

Alex18_996CC - I can't offically spec the car yet, just building a picture in my mind - the dealer said I have to spec it in July and should have a few weeks to consider the revised option list.

By the way, feel free to have a look at the following thread:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=376633

for close-up pictures of about any option in the catalogue (including all the leather options I mentioned earlier).

Kudos to atomic80 for his priceless work.

Do you plan to track the car?
    If so, I would get the -20 mm sport suspension with LSD.

mex99, thanks for the quick response !, I was starting to get alarmed with our dealer lol

imo the red tail lights are now a MUST, they absolutely look great, i would say even in any colour!...

I'm considering macadamia exterior colour, and today I just saw outside my dealer a turbo with macadamia colour with red tail lights, its a GREAT combination !!!

Have you though of alcantara interior parts?, or two tone leather interior....

If you are not going to use the 997S as a daily, I would consider the alcantara steering wheel and manual gearbox(if you finally not decided to spec it with the tiptronic S ), but well thats just my opinion !!

Hi Mex,

I also have a MK2 on order for August/September.

I am thinking of going for White for a change. Want a change from the silver and Black cars i have had....

Have you thought about some of the Alcantara options ? I am looking at the steering wheel, gear lever, and door trims for mine. I am also hoping that they will do the X51 kit

Apart from that i will have the usual stuff:-

Navigation module
    Phone (maybe bluetooth if available)
    Sports Exhaust (unless i can get X51)
    Park Sensors
    Bose

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    I am also hoping that they will do the X51 kit

cdixon, X51 will be amazing, but imo, for the price they charge is better to get a gt3, also I'm sure x51 wont be available for the first slots of FL (I suppose)..

Adding all the options + x51, it would probably be in the same price range as the gt3 or even more...

again just my opinion, although if you want to get the 997S for DD, then I must as the gt3 isnt for daily driving, at least for me

I've been told that the X51 option is unlikely to begin with...

I will track occasionally (every 3/4 months for fun) but do need to drive every day so -20 mm and no PASM isn't really an option.

Yes..alcantara.....too many choices!!!

cdixon, X51 will be amazing, but imo, for the price they charge is better to get a gt3, also I'm sure x51 wont be available for the first slots of FL (I suppose)..

Adding all the options + x51, it would probably be in the same price range as the gt3 or even more...

again just my opinion, although if you want to get the 997S for DD, then I must as the gt3 isnt for daily driving, at least for me

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:
    I am also hoping that they will do the X51 kit

Yep been there ! Almost bought a 997 GT3 but the problem is i need the back seats !!! I have two young kids...

Why don't Porsche put a four seat option into the GT3 instead of Sat Nav !!! I

Hi cdixon,

I have the same issue with two young kids, the 997 is spacious though; I like to think of it as a family car!

Will be a great cruiser for weekends away; long journey, limited time and little luggage.

Can't wait.

Where have you ordered from - we should compare notes!

If it's a FL'd car would you change the rear lenses if they are already supposed to be changed in the FL? Save yourself Pounds300 and get some red seat belts.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Do you plan to track the car?
    If so, I would get the -20 mm sport suspension with LSD.

This would replace the PASM? No charge?

It's free on the Carrera S/4S. Same price as PASM on the 3.6L. It's not available in Canada, though.

Quote:
    mex99 said:
    Hi cdixon,

I have the same issue with two young kids, the 997 is spacious though; I like to think of it as a family car!

Will be a great cruiser for weekends away; long journey, limited time and little luggage.

Can't wait.

Where have you ordered from - we should compare notes!

Hi Mate,

I have been a Porsche customer for 15 Years and always been at Reading. This car i have bought from Bristol as i live in the Bath area... Seem like a nice OPC..

Got an email from the sales lady a couple of weeks ago saying she should have an idea about options in April/May with the car expected to be for sale in June..

Darren,

welcome on board. One thing I would definately add, especially if you are concious about your interior layout, is the Aluminium Footrest (check picture in Atomic's post). Rather inexpensive but more appropriate.
    Would consider the Bose system as well, would drop the painted sport seatbacks instead. What kind of visual appearance would you like to obtain?

I am very confident that the Mk.2 PASM layout will be even more appealing than the current one, so no need to choose the sport suspension for a daily driver.

Thanks again for all the comment.

Ferdie, Re the aluminium footrest - is it all aluminium, it is hard to be sure in the picture. On the painted seat backs I think it looks good, but I must be the only one; all the comments I have recieved range from its looks cheap to its a waste of money and the kids the kick it to bits anyway. I think I may listen to all the advice and leave them be.

In terms of the visual appearance I want a sporty look that is a bit different to others but not too far on the edge (I use the car for work so have to meet clients etc - this really in my mind prevents the aerokit), hence the white. On the inside I want to carry the sport theme but I also plan to spend 15000 miles a year in the car so Iwant it to be comfortable and elegant, whilst also keeping the outside theme - black and white. Sounds easy???

Cdixon, I live near Bath too, but ordered my car from Swindon as my work is based there and its where I bought the Cayman and was very satisfied with their help. I haven't heard about spec details being available in April/May - which is a bit strange since Bristol and Swindon are the same delearship???

Thanks.....

Res B - red belts - are you sure???

I'm not sure re the lights anyway, I will take what comes beit current or red and review in time. Must maintain some budget...got to keep telling myself!!!

Quote:
    mex99 said:
    Res B - red belts - are you sure???

Hell yeah, Looks mint on a white GT3.

Quote:
    mex99 said:
    Thanks again for all the comment.

Ferdie, Re the aluminium footrest - is it all aluminium, it is hard to be sure in the picture. On the painted seat backs I think it looks good, but I must be the only one; all the comments I have recieved range from its looks cheap to its a waste of money and the kids the kick it to bits anyway. I think I may listen to all the advice and leave them be.

In terms of the visual appearance I want a sporty look that is a bit different to others but not too far on the edge (I use the car for work so have to meet clients etc - this really in my mind prevents the aerokit), hence the white. On the inside I want to carry the sport theme but I also plan to spend 15000 miles a year in the car so Iwant it to be comfortable and elegant, whilst also keeping the outside theme - black and white. Sounds easy???

Cdixon, I live near Bath too, but ordered my car from Swindon as my work is based there and its where I bought the Cayman and was very satisfied with their help. I haven't heard about spec details being available in April/May - which is a bit strange since Bristol and Swindon are the same delearship???

Thanks.....

Email from my dealer:-

I think the on sale date for the facelift will be June so I would expect to have an idea of options in April/May.

I will let you know if I find out any more.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764406 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436553 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261063 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257986 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82655 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876928 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808998 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM