Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Audi S Tronic 7speed

Article in German:
    http://www.autosieger.de/article14606.html

Only for AWD, first Audi cars to use it:

Q5
    A4 3.2 Quattro
    A4 3.0TDI Quattro
    S4
    A5 3.2 Quattro
    A5 3.0TDI Quattro
    S5

It will replace 6speed Tiptronic.

Re: Audi S Tronic 7speed

sweet, why only AWD cars though?

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    sweet, why only AWD cars though?

Current technical limit...

Don't see the RS5 in this list... does this mean 6-speed only? Or is Audi still being quiet about the RS5?

I am seriously considering getting in line for an RS5 as I want something with a bit more passion than the S5, and hoped that besides the power increase the RS5 would finally have a suitable DSG-style box. I'm not too fussed over what engine Audi finally decide to use in the RS5 (not officially announced yet??) but I would like to make the move to DSG... otherwise the GT-R will start to look quite appealing

Since RS5 is two years away(late 2009) my guess is that you will go for GT-R...

Kreso - the GT-R allocation here is likely pre-sold till at least late 2009 so not much difference in the waiting time...every new magazine comparison test of the GT-R adds 3 months of orders

But I have more faith in the styling and performance balance that Audi will produce in the RS5... does not bother me if it still loses some track battles to Nissan.

what's the maximum Nm the GTR's GR6 gearbox can handle vs Audi's S tronic 7-Spd ?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    A5 3.0TDI Quattro

Any word on long term reliability of DSG boxes ?

Is it going to be in the Face lifted A6 ?

Why no R8? Robble robble.

Quote:
    vantage78 said:

That S Tronic is not designed for mid engine applications... There is a potential candidate from Getrag but, currently it is(gearbox) little bit too heavy...

New S Tronic is development between Borg Warner and VAG.

Why only AWD? It is designed only for AWD applications...

Kreso said new 7 speed S-Tronic can handle 550nm...
    I can't remember whta the igure is for GT-R.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    vantage78 said:

That S Tronic is not designed for mid engine applications... There is a potential candidate from Getrag but, currently it is(gearbox) little bit too heavy...

So, Kreso, how much faster will the cars be with the S-Tronic? I know mine is missing a gear compared to this transmission .

Also, kind of off-topic, but have you heard anything about a twin-turbo 3.0 TDI?

Thanks!

I'm still not convinced with Auto/Semi/Direct gearboxes yet, I hope the upcoming PDK from Porsche changes my mind

Quote:
    BiTurbo said:
    Thanks!

I'm still not convinced with Auto/Semi/Direct gearboxes yet, I hope the upcoming PDK from Porsche changes my mind

For a daily driver an Auto box is almost a necessity. I remember cursing when standing in some 6-kilometre-long traffic jam between Frankfurt and Nürnberg. Shifting into 1st and back into neutral gets really tiresome really quick .

I mean, if the new auto box can withstand all the abuse from downshifting/upshifting at redline like my manual Getrag, then that would be perfect

Otherwise I'm cancelling my '09 Carrera S

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    vantage78 said:

So, Kreso, how much faster will the cars be with the S-Tronic? I know mine is missing a gear compared to this transmission .

Also, kind of off-topic, but have you heard anything about a twin-turbo 3.0 TDI?

Good question... I am not sure that we will see that engine any time soon... Currently industry momentum is new DI gasoline engines. You will see some nice engines from Audi this fall...

Regarding acceleration it could be 0.1s-0.2s faster with S Tronic if you use LC(S5/S4 will have this feature for sure, normal A4/A5 models-not so sure). Also it will be faster till 200km/h as well... How really good? For average to little bit above average driver S Tronic will be a must on S5/S4.

New seven-speed gearbox for Audi...

New seven-speed 'box for Audi...

(Wednesday 19 March 2008)

Audi's equivalent of the Volkswagen DSG 'box and BMW's new seven-speed 'M double-clutch transmission', has finally arrived.

The seven-speed S-tronic gearbox has been developed solely by Audi to work with longitudinal engines and the company's quattro four-wheel drive system, and to cope with high torque outputs of up to 406lb ft.

The system works in the same way as the VW and BMW transmissions, having two clutches that are both continuously active. The engine drives one, leaving the other ready to engage almost immediately when the driver changes gear.

Audi claims that the whole process "takes only a few hundredths of a second and is completed without interrupting traction."

The new seven-speed S-tronic 'box will arrive first in Audi's new mid-sized SUV, the Q5, which is due to debut at the Beijing motor show in April.

Autocar_Audi-7speed-DSG-gearbox_Link

Quote:
    BiTurbo said:
    I mean, if the new auto box can withstand all the abuse from downshifting/upshifting at redline like my manual Getrag, then that would be perfect

NOT so sure about that... I drove M3 with M-DKG(aka M-DCT) and it is the best DSG box currently on the market but... Regarding abuse that you are talking about-on this gearbox it simply doesn't feel right! It is hard to explain but, since gearbox chages gears so efficient and without power lost you do not hang in gear that long as you do in manual. Also auto mode is interesting since it is changing gears differently on curvy road then I would personally do in manual mode. I somehow see a good point here since M-DKG is efficient as it could be...

So, manual or PDK for 997 Carrera S facelift? PDK! BUT, only if you can live with gearbox with little AI inside...

Details of Audi's 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox...

Audi releases details of new 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox...

Audi on Wednesday released details of its 7-speed S-tronic gearbox with dual clutches for no interruptions in power delivery during shifting. Operating just like VW's DSG gearbox, but with an extra cog, the S-tronic is built by Borg Warner. It is due to debut in the upcoming Q5 SUV later on this year. The new transmission has been designed for use with Audi's longitudinally mounted engines and Quattro all-wheel drive system, and is capable of handling up 406 lb-ft of torque and engine speeds up to 9,000rpm.

The gearbox uses two multi-disk clutches, with a larger, ring-shaped one operating odd gears including first, third, fifth and seventh via a solid shaft while a smaller clutch inside the ring clutch operates second, fourth, sixth as well as reverse via a hollow shaft that surrounds the solid shaft. While one clutch is locked into a gear, the other clutch is ready to engage, with shift speeds that Audi claims are in the few hundredths of a second, with an imperceptible affect on traction.

The S-tronic will send 40 percent of engine torque to the front axle and 60 to the rear under ideal conditions. An integrated center differential can allocate up to 65 percent to the front, or 85 percent to the rear axle. For durability, gears one through three and reverse use three-cone synchros. The transmission can be left in fully automatic mode in either Drive or Sport, or the gear can be selected via pushbuttons on the steering wheel.

The Q5 will be unveiled in April at the Beijing auto show and will be the first of multiple Audi models released this year using the transmission.

Audi's first production dual clutch transmission was used in the 2004 Audi TT. Its six speeds put down the power of the car's 250 horsepower V6 engine.

Left-Lane-News_Audi-7-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox_Link

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    BiTurbo said:

NOT so sure about that... I drove M3 with M-DKG(aka M-DCT) and it is the best DSG box currently on the market but... Regarding abuse that you are talking about-on this gearbox it simply doesn't feel right! It is hard to explain but, since gearbox chages gears so efficient and without power lost you do not hang in gear that long as you do in manual. Also auto mode is interesting since it is changing gears differently on curvy road then I would personally do in manual mode. I somehow see a good point here since M-DKG is efficient as it could be...

So, manual or PDK for 997 Carrera S facelift? PDK! BUT, only if you can live with gearbox with little AI inside...

BMW ?! I hardly communicate with them since I sold my X5 4.8 with a big loss around 12,500Euro in 4months and under 2000km back in 2006. RIP LeMans Blue

Maybe I should give it a try and find out for myself, I never had the time nor chance to test drive one.

Hopefully this summer I'll be getting my answer through the test car which my P dealer is getting during summer time.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    vantage78 said:

Good question... I am not sure that we will see that engine any time soon... Currently industry momentum is new DI gasoline engines. You will see some nice engines from Audi this fall...

Twin turbo diesel will get ~ 300hp.
    Also S4 with ~400hp is on the way. Drove it this week

Quote:
    jesse said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    vantage78 said:

400 PS? I somewhat doubt it. You mean RS4? Since the S5 has 354 PS, it would be incredibly stupid for Audi to make it the underdog.

As for the 300 PS TDI, I would take it in a heartbeat, along with the S-Tronic.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    jesse said:

400 PS? I somewhat doubt it. You mean RS4? Since the S5 has 354 PS,

Ok, if the customer will get 400hp is an other question. Nevertheless, it was a S4 model (6speed S-Tronic)

Quote:
    jesse said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    jesse said:

Ok, if the customer will get 400hp is an other question. Nevertheless, it was a S4 model (6speed S-Tronic)

OK, that sounds plausible .

Quote:
    jesse said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    jesse said:

What is the engine on the s4? Is it the rumoured 3 litre twin turbo or is it another NA engine???

Quote:
    jesse said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    jesse said:

You are somehow wrong...

S4 will feature either TFSI 3.0L 333hp engine or 4.2L FSI 354hp. In both cases optional gearbox will be new 7speed S Tronic...

Kreso, any idea if it will get to the Facelifted A6 3.2\4.2 Quattro (due next year?) and\or S3 ?

(Thinking of getting both for next summer)

Thanks!

S3 would be a different gearbox, and they already have the DSG setup for that ala TT-S. Whether they will release it in the S3 or not is a different issue. I could not understand why they wouldn't.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765175 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437128 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261348 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258159 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877399 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809611 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM