Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thinking about changing cars? What should I do?

Hi guys, I've been enjoying my 997 C2S (manual with -20mm sports suspension) for the past 1.5 years now. I'm just thinking about what my options are going forward.

I certainly will not trade in for a facelifted Carrera. I am also not interested in getting a GT3 for day to day use on the streets of London.

Please bear in mind that I do not want to buy a convertible (if it means having less luggage space e.g. C2S Cab). Also, I have already had a BMW 328i so I'm reluctant to go back to that brand having owned a Porsche.

I'm not keen on the styling of the Audi R8.

I guess one of the things going through my mind is whether I want PDK and if so, whether I'm prepared to wait for Porsche to launch it on the TT or whether I get a M3 to try it now.

What would you do in my situation?

Re: Thinking about changing cars? What should I do?

why did you include convertibles if you don't want to buy one?

your request is quite confusing as you don't want a cab but your poll gives us the choice to choose between many convertibles.

I would not get a jag or a maserati. An M3 is a great choice but you're a bit going down the ladder while you should go up.

The 997TT could be a good choice, with PDK but you might want to get one right now with manual or tiptronic.

A F430 as a daily car seems like the wrong answer.

You seems to want a GT car, more comfortable and with an auto box. If that's the case, the 997TT should be your choice. Or a gallardo. That car looks amazing.

It's quite hard to help you as you gathered GT cars as well as "pure" sports cars.

Re: Thinking about changing cars? What should I do

Quote:
    tazmaniac said:
    why did you include convertibles if you don't want to buy one?

+1

I would stay with the 997S, and wait, may be for the FL, or if its not too much, the new Ferrari Dino...

I think I would never go for a 997TT, not for an specific reason, but its just what i think.

The AM vantage V8 sounds like a GOOD choice, but its less practical than 997, much less !!!..But its a different car, completely different !, so may be its time to change !, and come back to porsche in some years...

What about the Nissan GTR ??, But I still prefer a 997S without thinking !

If you are saying its going to be for a more or less daily driving car, how can you put a LP560 and spyder?.....Although I would LOVE to have that car !

May be the FL 997 with X51, just wait some more months...

997TT. Pre-facelift would be a safe bet, since we don't know what kind of engine the new one is going to have.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    997TT. Pre-facelift would be a safe bet, since we don't know what kind of engine the new one is going to have.

Then Easy, keep waiting in a chair

Why not go for a F430 Spider?

Over the last weeks, I rediscovered how great Ferrari cars are. I am pretty sure that no other car on your list offers more excitement (the LP560-4 is probably on par). Also, modern Ferraris offer state-of-the-art technology which is even superior to Porsche technology in certain areas.

(In recommending this I assume that you don't drive too many miles per year. Otherwise I would probably go for the 997TT - or GT2, which is not on your list.)

I could get by just looking at and listening to the new Maser GT for a couple years, that's where I would go if I were getting stir-crazy...

Ferrari F430's are just... too.... much.... You can't help but look like a rolling ego-circus going down the road... In the middle of nowhere, with nobody watching, that's the best car. But for around-town, for me, it would be too much. I'd feel like a tool...

The Maser gets close to that overtly-opulent threshold, but doesn't cross the line.

I agree, the R8 is functionally fantastic, but aesthetically clumsy and odd...

Don't be afraid to "take a break" from Porsche, variety is the spice of life. I get horrendously bored replacing one car with another from the same damn showroom... There's too many great manufacturers and models out there to get stuck in a car clique.. Go back to Porsche several years from now when there's enough evolution that it seems "new all over again" to you.

A Bentley GT would be nice. Much different than what you have now though. Perhaps the current TT if what you want is more power, or the F430 if you want a real change.

Thinking of changing cars? What should I do?

Thanks guys

@tazmaniac, amazon, Alex18_996CC: sorry if my original post wasn't clear. I meant to say that I don't want to buy a cab if it will provide less luggage space than the equivalent coupe e.g. the 997 Cab has less space behind the front seats than the 997 Coupe.

Anyway, turning to the choices, I really love the practicality and convenience of a 911 Coupe. It has just enough luggage space for me. The 997TT would give me more power with the same luggage capacity.

I am really reluctant to get the current TT. If I am spending about GBPounds50k more, I want the latest technology etc. The facelift TT is very tempting BUT I am very interested in PDK. I definitely won't buy a Tiptronic S. It needs to be a manual or PDK. If PDK isn't launched with the facelift TT, then I may have to wait till the 998 TT. That could be many years away from now.

I would love to buy a F430 Spider or Gallardo Spyder BUT I can only have 1 car (due to car parking limitations, I only have 1 car parking space in the underground car park in my apartment building) and these 2 cars have tiny boots with not much extra luggage capacity in the passenger cabin.

The AMV8 offers plenty of luggage space, very nice styling etc BUT it isn't a performance increase on my C2S.

The Bentley CGT, SL63, Maserati Gran Turismo, Jaguar XKR are all nice GT cars BUT I think they will just be too soft for me. Maybe I might consider one after I'm 50-55 years old!

The BMW M3 seems perfect on paper BUT I am not keen on the styling PLUS it's a BMW which is, for me, a step backwards. I used to have a BMW and I don't really want to go back down that road again.

The Audi TT simply isn't powerful enough but it does have DSG. The R8 doesn't appeal to me styling-wise and it doesn't have DSG.

How does one replace a Porsche???? No sports car out there offers this combination of performance and practicality.

I think I should stick with my car for a few years to see what happens re facelifted TT. Does it get PDK? Will it still have a GT1 derived engine? iPod connection? Bluetooth phone? If all these boxes aren't ticked, I may just wait till the 998TT comes out.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Don't be afraid to "take a break" from Porsche, variety is the spice of life. I get horrendously bored replacing one car with another from the same damn showroom... There's too many great manufacturers and models out there to get stuck in a car clique.. Go back to Porsche several years from now when there's enough evolution that it seems "new all over again" to you.

Really good advice 69bossnine, especially this bit I've quoted.

I'm definitely open-minded to other possibilities judging them by what they offer and how well they meet my requirements rather than just blindly following some pro-Porsche bias.

But, like I said above, now that I know and can fully appreciate what a Porsche offers, I'm finding it really hard to find something else that offers the same combination.

Cheers

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Ferrari F430's are just... too.... much.... You can't help but look like a rolling ego-circus going down the road... In the middle of nowhere, with nobody watching, that's the best car. But for around-town, for me, it would be too much. I'd feel like a tool...

I know... I don't feel comfortable with the flashy design/sound etc. either. However, as you state, a Ferrari is just perfect if nobody is watching... So why not just ignore the effect the car has on other people and just enjoy this outstanding machine

Thanks MKSGR I do most of my mileage on weekends, some on weekday evenings but also quite a bit on weekend trips and the occasional touring holiday. That's why I make such an issue about luggage capacity in a sports car.

For me, the F430 Spider and LP560 Spyder (when it comes out) will be cars that I sacrifice practicality for simply for the pleasure they give. They won't meet my needs as well BUT they will thrill me more than any other car.

I can't help thinking how I could leave this Earth without owning and enjoying one of those 2 exotic cars? We only have 1 life and there's a lot to be said for living one's dream rather than being so practical (and boring!)...

Re: Thinking of changing cars? What should I do?

That's EASY easy! There's only ONE possible successor to a C2S: the TT.

I guarantee your head will experience a dopamine and adrenaline rush accompanied by the ceaselessly recurring thought "OMG! _finally_ the 911 has the required HP/Tq!"

What's funny? When I bought mine new there also seemed to be an inordinate number of LOW mileage pre-owned 2007 997 TTs around. Couldn't figure that one out. Maybe there's something recurrent about that too; perhaps you can find a real creampuff of a deal.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Thanks MKSGR I do most of my mileage on weekends, some on weekday evenings but also quite a bit on weekend trips and the occasional touring holiday. That's why I make such an issue about luggage capacity in a sports car.

For me, the F430 Spider and LP560 Spyder (when it comes out) will be cars that I sacrifice practicality for simply for the pleasure they give. They won't meet my needs as well BUT they will thrill me more than any other car.

I can't help thinking how I could leave this Earth without owning and enjoying one of those 2 exotic cars? We only have 1 life and there's a lot to be said for living one's dream rather than being so practical (and boring!)...

After that post there can only be one recommendation: get the F430 - you won't regret it

I've just had a thought - if nberry reads this post, he will be grinning and smiling from ear to ear

As for the F vs L choice, my wife is no doubt going to say to me, "C'mon, it's got to be the Lambo!" She is absolutely in love with it.

I recently asked her "what if we bought a Gallardo Spyder?". She didn't say "Are you sure?", "Can we afford it?", "How will we do the grocery shopping?"....nope, none of that...She just said "Yes, let's do it". In that way, I'm a very lucky man to have a wife who has as much passion for exotic cars as I do. But she says she'd like it to have e-gear so that she can drive it around town too...

Decisions, decisions, decisions .... hmm

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Really good advice 69bossnine, especially this bit I've quoted.

I'm definitely open-minded to other possibilities judging them by what they offer and how well they meet my requirements rather than just blindly following some pro-Porsche bias.

But, like I said above, now that I know and can fully appreciate what a Porsche offers, I'm finding it really hard to find something else that offers the same combination.

Cheers

Easy,

I agree with 69bossnine. Since 1998 I owned about 5 different Porsches and neverr thought I would switch but with so many awesome manufacturers out there and their fantastic offerings you'll miss out on experiencing something new if you stick to Porsche, believe me they're all pretty much the same .
    If I were you I would try something new and different, you won't regret it .

e-Gear sucks, unfortunately... unless that has changed with the facelift.

A 911 is hard to replace IMHO, as it's a unique combination of sportiness and practicality. Since it's your only car, the M3 with M-DCT is the only sensible choice right now.

But this Fall... how about a facelifted 911 Targa with DSG?

That car was designed for you. It's almost like a 911 cab, but feels bright and airy inside even in the worst English weather (pick black/sand or Carrera Red for maximum effect). It has more room in the back than the coupé, and even a hatchback.

Look no further, it's a keeper!

Easy -
    The answer is simple - keep the C2S, move out of that crazy apartment with one parking space. Get a decent house with room for 4-5 cars! I can park four cars easily in my garage and it's wonderful to have space for more.

Cheers!

If he could afford a several-car garage in London, he'd have bought a Veyron already...

Ferrari or Lambo? I hear everytime you are at gas station you get a guaranteed conversation. Sounds awful to me.

Exactly

Getting a really nice house with room for 3-4 cars can easily cost Pounds2.5million. It would have about 6-8 bedrooms, state of the art kitchen, bathrooms etc. In today's economic climate, I am not about to take on that kind of property plus mortgage deals aren't exactly great right now. Also I couldn't bear the thought of commuting to work on public transport again. I walk to my office. Just 12 mins. Bliss! Plus Canary Wharf is so cool now. E14 is the London postcode with the highest disposable income so all sorts of chic and trendy shops, restaurants, bars etc have sprung up to help us spend all that money.

I'm really happy in my apartment. We live beside the river, it's so quiet but we're in Central London. We have a secure car park, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, gym, aerobics studio, spa/tanning/beauty treatments for my wife, landscaped gardens (which I don't have to look after!) etc etc. It's a really hassle-free, modern place to live.

So I'm not about to turn my back on all that convenience just to own a choice of cars that I will only use during evenings and weekends.

It's just a lifestyle choice. BUT during that small part of my week when I do need to use a car, I really want something that will thrill me and make me feel alive.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I've just had a thought - if nberry reads this post, he will be grinning and smiling from ear to ear

As for the F vs L choice, my wife is no doubt going to say to me, "C'mon, it's got to be the Lambo!" She is absolutely in love with it.

I recently asked her "what if we bought a Gallardo Spyder?". She didn't say "Are you sure?", "Can we afford it?", "How will we do the grocery shopping?"....nope, none of that...She just said "Yes, let's do it". In that way, I'm a very lucky man to have a wife who has as much passion for exotic cars as I do. But she says she'd like it to have e-gear so that she can drive it around town too...

Decisions, decisions, decisions .... hmm

I am grinning but not surprised. There is an undercurrent among the Porsche faithful that something is not right in Porsche land. What it is has nothing to do with the nuts and bolts of the car. It is (dare I say )the realization that the car is not special. As the miasma begins to lift, other cars come into focus and get your attention. It is like looking down at your favorite comfortable shoes and the thought occurs to you that they look tired and old. I need to try something new.

I also agree with Bossnine. There are too many good cars out there. However, before you make the jump you need to cut the umbilical cord from Porsche. Some never do and as a result go back to Porsche thinking they have given other cars a fair appraisal. Based on your response, you are not there yet. Stick with you ho-hum car until the urge really grabs you.

FWIW, the luggage space in the Ferrari is as large as the Porsche if not larger. The Gallardo Spyder is a great choice. The only difference between it and the Ferrari is the Ferrari driving experience. There is nothing like it on this planet.

easy_riderSL63

I'd go with an SL63AMG! Best of both worlds if you like the spyder but you're still in London! The Benz is much loved by wifes, because its great all around. It has all the luxority and stuff, while yet also offering you the power and fun!!!

It's an AMAZING machine and if you get the full red leather interior (don't know if you can have it in the UK since there's an SLR option) but it gives your MB that very exotic touch!!!

The interior is likely also of nicer finish than the Italian bull or the horse.. that's a fact...

The engine SL63 AMG, cause that's what you're considering, is absolutely stunning.. So much grip and its RWD, so a lot more fun.. acceleration is plenty and amazing!!!

two

last one

since you're used to German I think think there's going back Only reason might be too many SLs out there... We have tons over here, but none with the 63AMG!!!

If you're looking for some new thrills, have you tracked your 911 at all?

IMO, there's no car in the world that spans daily driver to fantastic track machine like a 911.

If you haven't, I'd get some instruction, get involved with your local PCA chapter, start autocross, etc.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    If you're looking for some new thrills, have you tracked your 911 at all?

IMO, there's no car in the world that spans daily driver to fantastic track machine like a 911.

If you haven't, I'd get some instruction, get involved with your local PCA chapter, start autocross, etc.

I don't really think they have Porsche Club of America in the UK .

First of all, unless you're prepared to take a big depreciation hit on your C2S, hold off for another few years.

As for your listed choices - you seem to be all over the place, both in terms of category and price. We don't really know what you appreciate in a vehicle? How you mostly drive? Where you drive? Etc.

IMO, both the F430/Gallardo would be much more rewarding to drive than the C2S, but aren't very practical to own as your only car.

Unfortunately, you have the same problem as I do, since we both live in the city, with limited or costly parking, don't drive to work, etc.

I bought a 997TT, which puts a smile on my face each and every time I take it out for a spin.

I would suggest trying to narrow your priorities and budget, then go out and test drive the cars left on your list.

WARNING - be prepared to buy what you like, otherwise you'll be unhappy until you do.

Good luck!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690221 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409575 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255892 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235132 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858300 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774514 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM