Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Black. Why bother?

Well, it was a sunny Saturday, and I decided to wash the car. A nice hand wash, you know the type. A gentle hand drying after and back into the garage.

Sunday was nice and sunny too. I went for a nice drive, being sure to stay on the main roads, and yet, this... the before and after.

Re: Black. Why bother?

and after:

Brake rotors shrunk again?

Don't worry Black will clean up. PM Atomic80 for the pics of his Seattle TT that he uses a nano ceramic glaze on. It cleans up in a finster!

hahaha life is hard.. i guess you have to clean her again! [beep] man

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The do look a little small in there, don't they?

I remember somebody here once quoted the saying "Black isn't a colour, it's a job" But it's a nice 'job' at that

I often feel the same - after 2 Black and 1 Midnight Porsche the next one will be something different.

I am thinking, Meteor Grey - is it going to be any better in the dirt? My boss has Artic Silver and it is ALWAYS pretty clean looking. My car is so filthy I have people pointing at me when I drive sometimes!

I don't have that problem whatsoever........... in Florida!!!

Although right now if you let the car sit outside, it gets blanketed in yellow... But that blows completely off in the low triple-digits...

Atlas grey is the solution! I only clean the windows and lights and the car seems clean...:-)

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    I often feel the same - after 2 Black and 1 Midnight Porsche the next one will be something different.

I am thinking, Meteor Grey - is it going to be any better in the dirt? My boss has Artic Silver and it is ALWAYS pretty clean looking. My car is so filthy I have people pointing at me when I drive sometimes!

Silver is my favorite-choice for "daily beaters", as it's the best for looking clean all the time, and the easiest to maintain. The darker you go, the more dirt you'll show...

Of course, my Carrera S isn't a daily-beater, so I love my black on that...

Yes, Black. "It's not a color it's a job." Thing that kills me is it attracts cops too.

Who cares if the car is dirty? It just means you'll drive it more when it rains.

The other thing? I haven't done this yet but I'm going to eventually:

Buy four tire covers for _parked_ motorhomes.

Place covers over wheels to be able to wash the car without getting rotors wet. Makes washing faster and easier when wheels don't need attention.

When rotors get wet you (meaning "I") simply MUST drive the car to dry them off. Sometimes the roads are wet and result is dirty car again, or I don't have time to drive it to dry. Think about it, short trips suck, you have to go for a long drive not to get water collecting in crankcase etc... .

Sounds like a good idea for black maint.?

Considering that the wheels are the first thing to get dirty on the car, I've never once had a situation where my car needed washing, but my wheels didn't.... So I totally do not "get" the method to that madness...

Furthermore, I always let the rotors air-dry just standing still... Makes far less mess than going out sopping-wet and slinging brake-dust-water-slurry EVERYWHERE... Just don't drive the thing for an hour after washing, and it'll all dry-up, and the slight amount of surface-rust will just go "poof" into the air (for the most part) when you go driving... I've tried all methods, and the least-labor-intensive method is just letting the car dry fully prior to driving...

Where your RV covers DO make sense, is to keep water out of the rotors, and then go in and hand-wash the wheels with a damp rag and towel, no hosing, to keep the rotors dry... That indeed would work just dandy...

Or, of course, you could just forget the dang covers, and be careful with your hose not to hit the wheels, and hand-wash the wheels, and you'd be just as good. It depends on how crusty your wheels have gotten. I never let mine get bad, so just a gentle swab with a soft wet towal cleans them up nicely.

Who cares if your car is dirty?? Because it looks better clean! And it's an issue of self-pride, just like you don't go walking around in a perpetual stench day after day, with dirty underwear and clothes you don't wash until they crawl themselves into the machine!! A clean car is a reflection upon your own housekeeping, a sign that you at least make the occassional effort to maintain your fine piece of machinery...

Another in a series of posts railing against our ever-worsening "disposable consumption" society, harkening back to the days where money was hard-earned, and the fruits of your labors were well-cared for regardless of how spirited the use.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Considering that the wheels are the first thing to get dirty on the car, I've never once had a situation where my car needed washing, but my wheels didn't.... So I totally do not "get" the method to that madness...

Please re-read the original post. Black cars get dirty muuuuuch faster than the wheels would be the main point.

FWIW, Porsche finally got it right with the Turbo wheels. They painted the innerds the "same" color as brake dust. I only have to wipe mine off and they look clean.

Hopefully such-colored wheels are an option or will be stock in the future?

Your practice of not cleaning the rotors and letting the brake-dust-mud accumulate and possibly harden MIGHT result in poorer cooling and heat transfer of the rotors. I never consider my car washed unless the rotors' vent passages are clean as possible.

The best way is to clean rotors is by using compressed air before washing I get almost zero mud slinging that way.

My car is black.... certainly I would be an authority on this subject, and the wheels (standard S brakes) accumulate brake dust and filth-up far more rapidly than the car gets dirty. And it's not even a matter of which gets dirtier faster...

Bottom-line, I've never had a situation where my car needed washing, but my wheels didn't, end of story.... If the car is dirty, you can bet your happy ass that the wheels are too, and I'm not so lazy that I'm going to drag all my gear out, wash the entire car, dry the entire car, but purposefully leave the wheels grimy "just because it's too much trouble" or "they're only kinda dirty, not dirty-dirty...". Say what? Are you Paris Hilton? You're there, you've got the suds, and there's a black film covering your wheels. Are you there to clean your car or just waste your own time?.... Hell, even the skeezy guys at the $8 drive-through Wash-a-Rama don't shortcut that much...

If your car's a mess, and you're washing it because of that, MOST CERTAINLY your wheels are a mess as well. What does it take, another 5 minutes tops? Or do you spend that same 5 minutes to grab some covers out of the garage, install them, and selectively tip-toe around cleaning your wheels. Working just as much, to avoid work.

My god MMD, sometimes I feel like you would walk 5 miles to avoid running 5 yards, just to prove some point...

I had a black 630 beemer before and I HATED how it looked every single day when it wasnt washed (Dusty/sandy environment here in Dubai)

Result?

My new C2S is white! Easy peasy :P (Always looks clean and I DO use it as a daily driver!)

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    My car is black.... certainly I would be an authority on this subject, and the wheels (standard S brakes) accumulate brake dust and filth-up far more rapidly than the car gets dirty. And it's not even a matter of which gets dirtier faster...

Bottom-line, I've never had a situation where my car needed washing, but my wheels didn't, end of story.... If the car is dirty, you can bet your happy ass that the wheels are too, and I'm not so lazy that I'm going to drag all my gear out, wash the entire car, dry the entire car, but purposefully leave the wheels grimy "just because it's too much trouble" or "they're only kinda dirty, not dirty-dirty...". Say what? Are you Paris Hilton? You're there, you've got the suds, and there's a black film covering your wheels. Are you there to clean your car or just waste your own time?.... Hell, even the skeezy guys at the $8 drive-through Wash-a-Rama don't shortcut that much...

If your car's a mess, and you're washing it because of that, MOST CERTAINLY your wheels are a mess as well. What does it take, another 5 minutes tops? Or do you spend that same 5 minutes to grab some covers out of the garage, install them, and selectively tip-toe around cleaning your wheels. Working just as much, to avoid work.

My god MMD, sometimes I feel like you would walk 5 miles to avoid running 5 yards, just to prove some point...

Lighten up 69. I don't appreciate feeling personally attacked.

The point is simple:

JoeRockhead washes his car, goes for a drive and it comes back looking like crap.

Look at the photo: I doubt the wheels are heavily coated with brake dust.

The guy might want get the dirt of his car without getting the rotors wet because drying them _is_ a PITA time suck to most guys who would rather do other things.

The point would be to avoid getting the rotors wet; that's a PITA. Use a damp terry towel to clean the lightly dusted wheels.

If you _LIKE_ rusty rotors and the cumulative damage that might cause, then by all means get them wet and wash the light coating of dust off the wheels too. Instead of spending another 25 minutes washing and then going for a drive to dry them (gotta avoid short trips!), just let the rotors air dry and corrode.

My suggestion is to cover the wheels because, assuming the wheels are not filthy, doing so vastly shortens the amount of time and effort required to get the layer of dust off the black paint.

If that isn't perfect THEN get a damp terry towel and use that to remove the light coating of dust on the wheels.

BTW, this method works perfectly for my turbo wheels because they are painted to hide brake dust and dirt like magic. A quick wipe with damp cloth and they're "clean" between washes of body.

The reason his wheels don't look dirty is because they're silver. Trust me, they are equally as dirty as the rest of the car.... So covering the wheels and not washing them simply because they don't "look" that dirty (in a low-res picture on an internet forum thread) seems rather ridiculous to me to say the least, hence my rather pointed post...

And drying the rotors is no work at all... You just walk away from the car and that's the end of that. They dry themselves.... We've already discussed ad-nauseum a long time ago that the light-surface-rusting that appears after air-drying does zero harm... ZERO. So I'm frustrated that you're harping on a non-issue. There is no cumulative damage to measure or worry about, unless your car sits for months-on-end in a damp environment, in which case they would rust one way or the other, regardless of whether you let the air-dry after a wash...

Of course there is brake dust there, everybody who owns one of these cars with standard brakes knows that within 10 miles of driving, you can run your finger across the wheel and your finger is pitch-black.

Since you've made prior postings boasting of how purposeful dirty brake-dust-filled wheels look, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my notion of a wheel that needs cleaning, and your notion of a wheel that needs cleaning, are worlds apart. Not a personal attack, just trying to make clear why we always bonk heads on this subject.

Pertaining to JoeRockhead and the original post.... It may not show in the picture, and of course the black will show dirt way worse than satin-aluminum, but my exasperation is that it's a given that his wheels got just as schmucked as the rest of the car. They just don't show it the same. He went out on a sunny day, but nailed snow-melt-runoff...

Joe's point was, "all that work, and it's trashed after one drive"... And I bet he washed his dirty wheels....

Quote:

Joe's point was, "all that work, and it's trashed after one drive"... And I bet he washed his dirty wheels....

Hahaha... nope. I sprayed them off and went for a short drive. You can't see the dirt inside the wheel because of the colour and the shiny exterior was still clean from the last time I washed it since I haven't driven it that much.

Can't remember how many times I thought I'd give my car a quick wash and decided against it.

Why?

Because the rotors would get wet and I'd have to dry them off.

Many times I just use a MF cloth to get rid of brake dust on wheels but wouldn't dream of using a MF on the car' s paint to get rid of dust.

All of this maks me think the wheels can be washed independently of the rest o the car.

Why consider these different strategies at all?

Because one of the places I garage my cars has a gravel road and, when it hasn't rained in a while, the cars get coated with dust even though they've just been washed.

BTW, drying car and rotors by driving on a gravel road is kind of a problematic joke too.

A labor of love.

and more labor

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Lighten up 69. I don't appreciate feeling personally attacked.

The point is simple:

JoeRockhead washes his car, goes for a drive and it comes back looking like crap.

Look at the photo: I doubt the wheels are heavily coated with brake dust.

The guy might want get the dirt of his car without getting the rotors wet because drying them _is_ a PITA time suck to most guys who would rather do other things.

The point would be to avoid getting the rotors wet; that's a PITA. Use a damp terry towel to clean the lightly dusted wheels.

If you _LIKE_ rusty rotors and the cumulative damage that might cause, then by all means get them wet and wash the light coating of dust off the wheels too. Instead of spending another 25 minutes washing and then going for a drive to dry them (gotta avoid short trips!), just let the rotors air dry and corrode.

My suggestion is to cover the wheels because, assuming the wheels are not filthy, doing so vastly shortens the amount of time and effort required to get the layer of dust off the black paint.

If that isn't perfect THEN get a damp terry towel and use that to remove the light coating of dust on the wheels.

BTW, this method works perfectly for my turbo wheels because they are painted to hide brake dust and dirt like magic. A quick wipe with damp cloth and they're "clean" between washes of body.

Ahhhhhhh geez we're back to cleaning dirty cars w/ damp rags again.

1 more pic

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Ahhhhhhh geez we're back to cleaning dirty cars w/ damp rags again.

Damp rags. That's funny because I was thinking the same thing about OCD.

sounds like you guys need some PCCBs

Ooooh, Stra, your Turbo is gorgeous. Guess I missed your photos (if you posted any) when you first got the car. it really looks great!

Stradale, your car looks absolutely fabulous!!!The black rims contrasting with the PCCB's really hits the spot and together with the cab top down look really makes it gorgeous!! When the standarsd black is clean, there is nothing that beats it!!

Quote:
    pic911s said:
    When the standarsd black is clean, there is nothing that beats it!!

Can I get an AMEN??

Quote:
    uzj100 said:
    Ooooh, Stra, your Turbo is gorgeous. Guess I missed your photos (if you posted any) when you first got the car. it really looks great!

THANKS! Also thanks pic911s. Wanna see more pics?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM