Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Australian F1 Grand Prix

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    Apparently Heikki Kovalainen accidentally pressed the pit lane cruise control during the dual with Alonso, which is why he lost speed. Ferrari were a wreck this weekend, did a terrible job, not only with the reliability but Kimi was heavily out of focus.

that's why i said they need Jean Todt

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Yeah the view is magnificent as I see all the way from Docklands on the left to East Melbourne to the right with the city right in front. And of course the view of Yarra river is magnificent especially during the fireworks.

Don't forget the view into my office!

NICK HELDFELD!!!! omg he'll be good hopefully this season.
    My money is on Hamilton though!

GUYS FOR THE FUTURE YOU CAN WATCH LIVE FOR FREE HERE:

http://www.channelsurfing.net

Luckily we do not have to wait too long for another race to confirm this #1 race.
    I am curious to see if Bourdais can repeat this type of performance!

I think not having all the electronic driver aids really exposed the different levels of driver ability in F1.

Guys like Hamilton, Alonso, Heidfeld and Rosberg proved that they really can drive faultlessly without any electronic help. I really respect these guys skill enormously. Controlling a lightweight 800hp car with no TC etc is no joke.

Kimi proved he is wild, erratic and unreliable and the only thing keeping him on the track last season (when he became champ) were all the electronic driver aids. He really has fallen in my estimation. Massa's second rate status was confirmed. He is lucky to be driving for Ferrari. Piquet's debut was poor. I was really impressed with Bourdais. He did a really great job on debut. Heikki was unlucky and will no doubt do well this season. Seems like a really nice, down to earth guy. Kubica has great raw pace but needs to learn more control. Heidfeld really showed him how it's done. Nakajima needs to calm it down and focus a bit more. He seems very eager but needs more discipline. All 3 Japanese teams were very disappointing. Poor reliability with drivers who are too prone to making careless errors. Button can't keep blaming his bad luck. He needs to keep away from trouble. Barrichello made so many schoolboy mistakes for such an experienced driver. Trulli will forever be known for being good at qualification but never the race. I think his 1 race win (with Renault at Monaco a few years back) is the only win he will ever have. Glock and Vettel look promising but they both need to focus more. Sutil and Fisi were also v disappointing. Red Bull and Toro Rosso seem to have developed good cars but they need to improve reliability. Their drivers must iron out the careless mistakes too.

All in all, a dramatic race and a great and exciting start to the season. I can't wait to see the next race at Sepang.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    (...)
    Kimi proved he is wild, erratic and unreliable and the only thing keeping him on the track last season (when he became champ) were all the electronic driver aids.(...)

Erm...LOL?
    Easy, I normally find your posts very balanced and well-informed, so this observation sounds plain silly.
    First of all Kimi's two mistakes had nothing to do with electronics not being there. On first occasion he overshot a corner and on the other occasion his left rear tyre dug into the grass.
    Both incidents that electronics aides couldn't have helped him avoid.
    He drove like he'd lost his head, I'll give you that.
    Secondly, do you honestly believe Kimi won the championship only because of driving aides?

Last season Hamilton lost the championship when he hit the beach going into the pits. This happened WITH electronic driver aides. So can I deduct that Hamilton cant drive at all? Not even with electronics!?
    Of course not.

As I am sure you know, most teams need to get their act together and polished in the first 4-5 races. We saw this last year in particular with Ferrari and we've seen this many times before that.
    Ferrari officials have publicly stated that they lack in every department, and that having two DNF's due to engine reliability issues was simply unacceptable. So naturally they - like other teams - are far from their peak shape. Same goes for the car-driver relationship.

I realize that you are a huge Hamilton fan - but please dont get blinded like Carlos did with his unconditional love for Alonso.
    Man-love...it's just so...well, girliemanlike.

Besides, Hamilton always has his daddy next to him for comfort, so I guess calling him a man is a bit of a stretch.

Bwahaha! Good response Doc! Like you, I have been telling everyone off for saying Kimi can't drive without traction aids. It has nothing to do with it!

Dr Phil, I understand your point of view but I'm sorry - I don't agree.

The second incident you yourself say was caused by Kimi's rear wheel on the grass. Kimi has a reputation for driving on the 'ragged edge' i.e. right at the limit. Without driving aids, he couldn't keep control. With them, there's a good chance he wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

Now turning to the first incident, he tried passing Kovaleinen on the inside and didn't brake in time. This season, the lack of driver aids is not just no TC. It is also no engine braking, one standard differential setting for every corner (as opposed to diff settings for every corner). These factors all affect the speed you can enter a corner, how late you can brake, stability under braking, the speed you can exit etc.

Kimi is certainly naturally v quick BUT he is not fully in control. His mistakes yesterday were a combination of driver error and not benefitting from driver aids (in those situations where driver aids can make a difference). Obviously, in some situations the driver error can be so bad that no aids can save you.

But Kimi didn't drive yesterday like a world champion. He was all over the place and drove without using his head. It was not one of his better days and is a day he will prefer to forget.

At the end of the day, one can analyse these mistakes ad nauseam. But, my overall impression of Kimi was that he lacks self discipline.

Turning to Hamilton, I am a Hamilton fan but I am not blind to his faults. I respect various things about him but I also am sceptical of his 'smarmy' style of dealing with the media. He is a smooth operator, I think a bit too smooth i.e. not all that genuine a person so now when he says things, I don't accept them at face value. But, as drivers, I really think he and Alonso are setting the benchmark right now.

The mistakes Hamilton made in the last couple of races last season were bad mistakes made by a rookie who still lacked experience when it matters most i.e. the crunch time at the end of the season when the pressure was really on. Hamilton proved in the last 2 races of last season that, although he was v good, he still lacked some things e.g. experience, absolute coolness under pressure. He did crack a little and those cracks were just enough to lose the title. Kimi took full advantage and drove v well to claim the title. No one begrudged him that. No one thought 'the wrong guy won the title'. It was well deserved. I never said that he only won the title because of driving aids but I certainly think that, based on yesterday's performance, they were an important part of him winning the title since, without them, he can't stay fully in control. Kimi has massive talent but talent alone is not enough. Those electronic aids helped keep him on the track last year.

Yesterday in my eyes really exposed the differences between the drivers.

You know, I was thinking something else today. Based on yesterday, if I were McLaren or Ferrari, which driver line up would I want? I honestly think Ron Dennis on paper had it right last year. Alonso is still, in my books, the best driver. I think Hamilton is a whisker behind him. McLaren had them both but it just didn't work out. The one issue was driver equality. Alonso just couldn't take that. He wouldn't have threatened to reveal all to the FIA (under amnesty) if he hadn't fallen out with Ron Dennis. What a different season we would have had if McLaren has stated at the start of 2007 that Alonso was no 1 and Hamilton was no 2.

McLaren would have won the constructors title and one of their drivers would be defending 2007 champ right now. This season, with an even better car, McLaren would look unbeatable with a perfect driver pairing.

BUT that's all a fantasy now...a parallel universe of what might have been.

Instead, it really pains me that a great talent like Alonso (one of the best F1 has ever seen) is being wasted at Renault. I didn't like Alonso's behaviour on a personal level last year but as a driver he is phenomenal.

Dr Phil, we're just talking. I know you will still think that I've been talking gibberish. Well, it's just what I think... No worries anyway, huh? We're all entitled to disagree from time to time. All that matters is that F1 is back and we all love it!

Hope you enjoy the rest of this enthralling season!

Entertaining race, I loved how Kimi drove, he really went for it and made a few mistakes. But that's surely better than not trying...

The most interesting thing about the race for me was that all four Ferrari-engined cars, with the new ECU made by McLaren, failed to finish.....

Oh, and Sebastian Bourdais drove a very nice first race and it was a shame that he was denied fourth place by his Ferrari engine, with a McLaren ECU

This is how the code looks in the ECU's shipped to Ferrari:
    10 CHECK "engine parameters, air temperature, humidity.."
    20 IGNITION "battery power, bus 1, bus 2"
    48790 SELFDESTRUCT "two laps before finish"

Great being back chatting with you guys about F1! Winter was long... It was a very enthralling race yesterday but I would stay calm until the dust settles. Things will become clearer in the upcoming races and I wouldn't base my comments on Melbourne alone.

Kovalainen exactly performed as I expected and he will come closer at Hamilton once he is feeling more comfortable at McLaren. However I suspect the later might just be the little edge faster on a consecutive basis. Kovalainen hit the pitlane limiter when removing one of the visor's sheets on the straight. I still have to see how Hamilton will perform under pressure, he is much too smooth on the outside to me. His path was very fortunate so far.
    A lot has been said about Ferrari above, I agree with Dr. Phil on Raikkonen. His flaws are rather unusual for his temper and I don't find it to be due to the lack of TC and engine brake. Maybe Mrs. Raikkonen is giving him the willies? Let us see how he will fare in Malaysia. Massa? Oh well...

Glock's accident was caused by a bump in the runoff zone, how can stewards approve such tings on an F1 track? Other than that, he proved to be a worthy successor for Ralf Schumacher. Maybe even more than that.
    Kubica might set some highlights reg. laptimes, he seems to be less consistent under pressure in comparison to Heidfeld though. Just as Williams, there is said to be more to come in terms of performance. I guess Renault and the above two will fair depending on development speed during the season.
    Barrichello's mistake was caused by sending him out of the pits to early, the following turbulence might have kept him from looking at the lights. Button might just have resigned, much as Villeneuve did at BAR a few years back.
    My eyes are on Bourdais, since not many Indy/Cart champions have made a successful transition to F1 in recent years. Cars and driving characters are just much too different and F1 cars are less forgiving reg. laptimes when you don't drive it right at the edge. Villeneuve, and possibly Bourdais, might be the only ones to master it.

It proves how much difference a great driver can make, in my eyes the most consistent and flawless ones made it to the finish yesterday (save the ones dropping out due to mechanical failure).
    One thing we should not forget, current rules & tires favor drivers with very smooth driving, i.e. Hamilton or Heidfeld. To me it is obvious that Alonso and others like Kubica were very good with the Michelin tires. Their adhesion graph was much different than of the current Bridgestone's. The significant drop in engine output just supports it as well.

Quote:
    temm said:
    The most interesting thing about the race for me was that all four Ferrari-engined cars, with the new ECU made by McLaren, failed to finish.

Yes, that's too funny (wouldn't there be so much money involved). Not only has espionage been the dominating subject last season, it has to be the team punished severely to own the ECU supplier. Who makes such rules? Maybe that ECU should be programmed to run the FIA's decisions as well.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    But Kimi didn't drive yesterday like a world champion. He was all over the place and drove without using his head. It was not one of his better days and is a day he will prefer to forget.

One thing to remember is that he started from the back of the grid. So he needed to drive a lot more aggressively than Hamilton in order to get to the podium. I believe Hamilton himself said that he didn't really have to drive at 100% yesterday due to the comfortable lead. I wouldn't expect to see any mistakes in that situation, regardless of TC.

Kimi had already gone from 16th to 8th while still on the 1st lap! He had worked his way up to 3rd behind Kovaleinen. That's when he stopped thinking!

Hamilton wasn't saying that he didn't drive at 100% of his ability. He said that the car didn't have to be pushed to 100% of its ability. He was just indicating that the car still had a little bit of performance left. This was in response to a question about whether he was concerned by the speed of the Ferrari and how it was able to reduce the gap to him at various times in the race. He was 'unconcerned by this'.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Great being back chatting with you guys about F1! Winter was long... It was a very enthralling race yesterday but I would stay calm until the dust settles. Things will become clearer in the upcoming races and I wouldn't base my comments on Melbourne alone.

Kovalainen exactly performed as I expected and he will come closer at Hamilton once he is feeling more comfortable at McLaren. However I suspect the later might just be the little edge faster on a consecutive basis. Kovalainen hit the pitlane limiter when removing one of the visor's sheets on the straight. I still have to see how Hamilton will perform under pressure, he is much too smooth on the outside to me. His path was very fortunate so far.
    A lot has been said about Ferrari above, I agree with Dr. Phil on Raikkonen. His flaws are rather unusual for his temper and I don't find it to be due to the lack of TC and engine brake. Maybe Mrs. Raikkonen is giving him the willies? Let us see how he will fare in Malaysia. Massa? Oh well...

Glock's accident was caused by a bump in the runoff zone, how can stewards approve such tings on an F1 track? Other than that, he proved to be a worthy successor for Ralf Schumacher. Maybe even more than that.
    Kubica might set some highlights reg. laptimes, he seems to be less consistent under pressure in comparison to Heidfeld though. Just as Williams, there is said to be more to come in terms of performance. I guess Renault and the above two will fair depending on development speed during the season.
    Barrichello's mistake was caused by sending him out of the pits to early, the following turbulence might have kept him from looking at the lights. Button might just have resigned, much as Villeneuve did at BAR a few years back.
    My eyes are on Bourdais, since not many Indy/Cart champions have made a successful transition to F1 in recent years. Cars and driving characters are just much too different and F1 cars are less forgiving reg. laptimes when you don't drive it right at the edge. Villeneuve, and possibly Bourdais, might be the only ones to master it.

It proves how much difference a great driver can make, in my eyes the most consistent and flawless ones made it to the finish yesterday (save the ones dropping out due to mechanical failure).
    One thing we should not forget, current rules & tires favor drivers with very smooth driving, i.e. Hamilton or Heidfeld. To me it is obvious that Alonso and others like Kubica were very good with the Michelin tires. Their adhesion graph was much different than of the current Bridgestone's. The significant drop in engine output just supports it as well.

Quote:
    temm said:
    The most interesting thing about the race for me was that all four Ferrari-engined cars, with the new ECU made by McLaren, failed to finish.

Yes, that's too funny (wouldn't there be so much money involved). Not only has espionage been the dominating subject last season, it has to be the team punished severely to own the ECU supplier. Who makes such rules? Maybe that ECU should be programmed to run the FIA's decisions as well.

Why the ECU is supply by McLaran?

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

kool! i am checking out ministry of sound channel now!

thanks!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Kimi had already gone from 16th to 8th while still on the 1st lap! He had worked his way up to 3rd behind Kovaleinen. That's when he stopped thinking!

Hamilton wasn't saying that he didn't drive at 100% of his ability. He said that the car didn't have to be pushed to 100% of its ability. He was just indicating that the car still had a little bit of performance left. This was in response to a question about whether he was concerned by the speed of the Ferrari and how it was able to reduce the gap to him at various times in the race. He was 'unconcerned by this'.

If Kimi started in row 1 and took the lead from the beginning he wouldn't have made any mistakes either. You can't judge a driver by one race. Kimi was under serious pressure to get on the podium and no doubt had a lot of frustration with the problems his car has been having. He obviously lost his head, and I doubt he will make those mistakes again. See what happens after a couple of races before you say he can't drive without TC and engine braking.

I feel so sorry for Mark Webber. He really is the unluckiest driver in F1, probably in history.

Quote:
    bazza said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

thanks!

Nice for the next one!

But still can't a place to rewatch the whole race.

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    bazza said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

thanks!

Nice for the next one!

But still can't a place to rewatch the whole race.

i think u need to download the whole race from bt!?

Easy, I dont understand the logic behind your reasoning.
    You claim that driving aids helped Kimi stay on track last year. Well, it helped everyone stay on track last year. Kimi still won.
    This year they all lack driving aids. Despite a crappy car he managed to set a top 4 laptime in Melbourne. Hardly possible if you dunno how to drive w/o driving aids.
    He moved from P17 to P3...without driving aids.
    He then threw it all away.

You claim he lost it all because he didnt have the electronic aids - depsite the fact that he also GAINED those positions w/o driving aids.
    I claim he lost it all because he drove like a retard.

I can agree 100% that he drove under par yesterday. He didnt stay cool at all.
    But claiming that he cant drive w/o aids simply makes no sense.
    If you were right, he would have stayed in the back of the field the whole race. He didnt.

IMO there are several brilliant drivers in F1 - well, they all are, but some are even more brilliant than others.
    It's all a matter of who you like and dislike.
    Claiming that either one of the top 10 drivers can only drive with the help of electronic aids - especially after watching only one race - is plain silly.

I believe they are all technically great drivers, some are just better at combining skill, luck, mental focus and car setup than others.
    We will see who is better at that when the season is over.

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

very useful channel also for other sports,thanks a lot!

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

very useful channel also for other sports,thanks a lot!

+1

no problem guys, i found this with two minutes to go in the race... so i MISSED THE WHOLE ACTION

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

It wont let me view anything with the macbook, it says it containsMIME type "application/x-oleobject".And that that I dont have installed any module for this type of MIME...

What do I have to do????

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:... Kimi proved he is wild, erratic and unreliable and the only thing keeping him on the track last season (when he became champ) were all the electronic driver aids. ...

Strongly disagree. KR is the best driver in F1 today, bar none.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:... Kimi has a reputation for driving on the 'ragged edge' i.e. right at the limit....

Uh!? Isn't that what a top driver should do anyway, demonstrating total finesse and control as KR does?

KR is not liked by the media and the fluff around F1. He is all-business and that's all that matters.

In reference to McLaren...

Their behavior in 2007 was totally despicable. The FIA may have been harsh, but Dennis and Co. mismanaged the whole affair completely.

And now in 2008... they have the ECU control advantage - another stupid FIA decision.

Also... if you ask me, the drop of TC and electronic aids is another wrong FIA decision. Electronics are in today's cars to stay. It's stupid to limit F1 use of that. Isn't F1 supposed to be the testbed of the future?

Quote:
    ADias said:It's stupid to limit F1 use of that. Isn't F1 supposed to be the testbed of the future?

It's also about letting the drivers take care of the driving rather than having electronics do all the hard work.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:... Kimi proved he is wild, erratic and unreliable and the only thing keeping him on the track last season (when he became champ) were all the electronic driver aids. ...

He is one of the best today, but DEFINATELY NOT THE BEST in today's F1....He has had a lot of mechanical issue's (of course with a lot of bad luck) but also because of his style of driving, just as like Easy is saying, he has the good reputation of breaking cars, but I actually like Kimi's driving style and relation with the media....what you see it was you get, simple as that !....

on the hand, I see Hamilton as the world champion this season, definately its not going to be the last time he has the pole and the 1rst position....

Alonso did great !!!, I would say incredible !!!, but that car is far far away from the top ones....

Sebastian Burdoias (or whatever he is called) did an AMAZING job !!!!, with that red bull car, that team has really improved !!, I was asking myself what the heck was that guy doing in that position, I was blown away !!

Bmw is going to be in the same level as mclaren !, Alonso and Kubica where the one's with bad luck when the SC appeared, if not would have seen a R.Kubica and Alonso in a better position....this sh!t of new f1 rules is just CRAP!!!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    And now in 2008... they have the ECU control advantage - another stupid FIA decision.

Maybe that's the reason all Ferrari engines failed.

Hamilton did perfect job this weekend. I think without TC he is stronger than others. Kovalainen did good job too. And also Alonso did more than Renault is capable. Nice to see that BMW and Williams are very strong.

Can't wait for next race and I also hope Hamilton will win another race next weekend

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:

He is one of the best today, but DEFINATELY NOT THE BEST in today's F1....

I agree. Although Kimi won last years championship he is not any better than Alonso or Hamilton. One clear advantage Hamilton has over both of them is that he's blistering fast when it comes to qualifying, he's almost unbeatable at that. Further more he's a very focused driver and the only mistakes I've seen him do are the ones he did at the end of last season when he crumbled under pressure.

Sebastian Burdoias has had a great start but I'm afraid we won't see him at the top. Red Bull cars are famous for getting into trouble. Random drivers like him tend usually only sore high points if there's complete chaos on the track.

Barchello is clearly suffering from Alzheimer and should have left the sport last year together with the rotten and overpaid Ralf Schumacher.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765470 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258229 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82774 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877556 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809840 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM