Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017)

reginos:
    Gnil:
    reginos:

IMO the Alpine is too expensive for what it is. That Renault kept the weight so low is very commendable in our age of fat cars, but it cannot be the only criterion to pay next to 60.000 for a Renault.

I would prefer a BMW M2 as a small performance DD at roughly this price, with its practicality as an added bonus.

Maybe this should of been posted in the Alpine thread , looks  like forced OT Smiley

The Alpine is 58'500 and that includes nearly all options . Add maybe 2 or 3 k max if you want all what is available .

The M2 is 68'500 , and we know that you will have to add for around 10k of options to make it nice 

The Golf R for example is 46'000  , and there also you can add nearly 10k of options and you end up with '' just a Golf ''

I agree the Alpine is a bit pricey but nearly every part has been built specially for this car with lots of thought in it . Rims are forged, real carbon parts here and there in the inside , aluminium Brembo brakes , light glass windows  etc.... This car weights 1100 kg , and I would now be willing to pay for lightness versus HP and weight . Also the car is supposed to stay a small production car  . 

Oooops Smiley

I was looking for my post in the Alpine thread. I don't know how it ended up here!

I looked at the UK market (right hand steering cars like ours) and the M2 starts from just below £50.000 for DCT model and the Alpine is expected to be priced at around £50.000 when it arrives in July. So it boils down to the optional extras someone chooses.

I would never consider a 4 cylinder Cayman and more so a Golf/Audi at this price range.

IMO the choice is between the novelty and innovation of the Alpine and the completeness and practicality of the BMW.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

50K £ would be a crazy price . I posted prices in Euro in France . Even in Switzerland, where cars are more expensive then in the UK or EU , the Alpine does not come close to 50 k £ 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    RC:
    Gnil:
    If 960 is dropped but replaced by a small , nimble, light , great handling , fun car, it could then be a good decision

Such cars cannot happen anymore and you know that. Smiley

Renault  did it with the Alpine . 1100 kg . All the comfort needed as a DD sportscar 

First, I would wait to see how much this car really weights (reviews).

Second, how much power does this car have? 500 hp? Smiley

Third, I haven't seen any crash test results from this car.

The Alpine is basically a Megane RS with a different body. I know this sounds (and probably is) too simplistic but it is what it is.

Now the question of the questions: Would you buy one instead of your GT3 RS? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

I would. I have zero interest in a GT3... Although I would probably buy a 4C first.

SciFrog:

I would. I have zero interest in a GT3... Although I would probably buy a 4C first.

Buy a Megane RS...cheaper...probably same fun. Done. Smiley Smiley

Or get the 4C already...looks much better than the Alpine anyway. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

The Alpine is basically a Megane RS with a different body. I know this sounds (and probably is) too simplistic but it is what it is.

Now the question of the questions: Would you buy one instead of your GT3 RS? Smiley Smiley

--

You have not drivent that car, not even looked at it seriously otherwise you would not state the above .

I did not weight the car , but the official 1098 kg is in working order with half a tank . After driving two minutes you feel that it is VERY light . 

The car has 250 HP , it does not need more . No one was talking about a 700 HP monster , just a fun car for public roads . It does 4.5 s to 100 . Good enough . 

Crash test .... with todays' standard no matter what , that car is safe enough . Again , this car is not to drive 300 km/h on the autobahn between two trucks . 

The Alpine has it s own body and chassis . All in aluminium . Nothing to do with a Megane , except for the engine  . 

This is like saying he Cayman is basically a Carrera 

Do I use my RS as a DD ? SmileySmiley

--

We all know RC is addicted to power....

Whoopsy:

Nick that is correct, the Targas on the line are all GTSs.Actually Targas are the only 911s I see on the line apart from the GT cars.

Not even Carrera T ?

Whoopsy:
    4trac:

Love the colour in the sun.... presume they will keep that paint exclusive?

Only a 3 year lock out.

Can't be true, he's driving a R8. SmileySmiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Gnil:
    RC:

--

You have not drivent that car, not even looked at it seriously otherwise you would not state the above .

I did not weight the car , but the official 1098 kg is in working order with half a tank . After driving two minutes you feel that it is VERY light . 

The car has 250 HP , it does not need more . No one was talking about a 700 HP monster , just a fun car for public roads . It does 4.5 s to 100 . Good enough . 

Crash test .... with todays' standard no matter what , that car is safe enough . Again , this car is not to drive 300 km/h on the autobahn between two trucks . 

The Alpine has it s own body and chassis . All in aluminium . Nothing to do with a Megane , except for the engine  . 

This is like saying he Cayman is basically a Carrera 

Do I use my RS as a DD ? SmileySmiley

I saw the car live at a press demo, didn't really like it's look (it looks Japanese, sorry) but yes, I haven't driven it yet.

If the fantastic (from a construction and design point of view) 4C didn't have success, why would the Alpine have one? 

This is why I asked: Would you buy one? Not only theoretically. 

--

Rossi:
    Whoopsy:
    4trac:

Only a 3 year lock out.

It is fast enough for your bicycle... Smiley

--

SciFrog:

I felt the same way until a drove one. Now all other 911's are boring.

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

For different reasons... no rear seat, not convertible, huge wing, summer tires only, interior the same as a $50k Boxster and anyhow I could not even get one even if I wanted...

On the 960, I'm disappointed that they won't build one, but what market position would it occupy?

Presumably it would have been a mid-engined twin of the next generation Huracan and R8 (provided they continue to make the R8).  So it would be priced in between R8 and Huracan, in a price segment that already includes several top tier 911 models, whether GTx cars or Turbo cars.  And what powerplant would it have?  Surely not the Audi V10.  Either a turbo flat six or turbo V8 from Panamera/Cayenne.

So what would Porsche do about the 911s in the same segment?  Would the 960 be a more luxurious GT car than the 911?  In that case, build a front-engined car, a two door Panamera.  If the 960 were a hardcore track special sports car, who would buy an RS, whether GT3 or GT2?  Or what if the customer base shunned the 960 and bought the RS 911 instead?  The GT2 RS is one of the quickest road cars in the world around a track; how could they make something materially faster?

Alternatively, what if they tried to position the 960 as a Superfast / Aventador competitor (a market segment that is not as crowded); a Porsche based off of an Audi would be a tough sell against an Italian V12 even if the Porsche could do the Nordschleife in 5 minutes in reverse.

Bottom line - why go to the effort to develop a generic supercar that is nonessential to the brand's model line and competes directly with the most aspirational 911 models?

RC:
    Rossi:
    Whoopsy:
    4trac:

Only a 3 year lock out.

It is fast enough for your bicycle... Smiley

Damn, must get an e-bike then... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The 960 would be a mini 918 at $350k...

Guest:

On the 960, I'm disappointed that they won't build one, but what market position would it occupy?

Presumably it would have been a mid-engined twin of the next generation Huracan and R8 (provided they continue to make the R8).  So it would be priced in between R8 and Huracan, in a price segment that already includes several top tier 911 models, whether GTx cars or Turbo cars.  And what powerplant would it have?  Surely not the Audi V10.  Either a turbo flat six or turbo V8 from Panamera/Cayenne.

So what would Porsche do about the 911s in the same segment?  Would the 960 be a more luxurious GT car than the 911?  In that case, build a front-engined car, a two door Panamera.  If the 960 were a hardcore track special sports car, who would buy an RS, whether GT3 or GT2?  Or what if the customer base shunned the 960 and bought the RS 911 instead?  The GT2 RS is one of the quickest road cars in the world around a track; how could they make something materially faster?

Alternatively, what if they tried to position the 960 as a Superfast / Aventador competitor (a market segment that is not as crowded); a Porsche based off of an Audi would be a tough sell against an Italian V12 even if the Porsche could do the Nordschleife in 5 minutes in reverse.

Bottom line - why go to the effort to develop a generic supercar that is nonessential to the brand's model line and competes directly with the most aspirational 911 models?

Very logical thinking Smiley

As to the 911 concept in spite of many people's scorn it is the envy of any sportscar manufacturer for its continuing commercial success.  Never change a winning game; always change a losing one.

It would be nice, however  to see a 2+2 two door GT coupe from Porsche as an offshoot of the Panamera range. This would make more sense than the Cayenne Coupe that is coming out soon.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

If not for Piech's fierce passion for Audi, there would never been an Audi R8. That slot would fit perfectly within Porsche.

Blame Piech for killing the 960 even before it was born.

--

Porker:
    Whoopsy:

In front of the Museum, people don't even see the GT2RS or the CGT or the 918. 

Come on... It's a nice car, but rendering a 918 or CGT invisible... Smiley

It is what it is.

They have the 918 and CGT upstairs inside the Museum. 

Weissach developed the 918 and CGT, so they have seen plenty of those, same for the GT2RS.

Turbo S Exclusive had actually never set foot inside Weissach until now, it is not a GT car, it is from Exclusiv Manufaktur, Weissach was never involved.

There are 500 of those only, 918 has 918 of them running around and 1270 CGT. GT2RS is not even limited. 

Today I am at Hockenheim doing Sport Cup practice. All the teams are here, some drivers came in GT3, GT3RS, there are GT2RS also around there paddock, there is also a 918 safety car, my car is only parked outside at the general parking lot yet it was surrounded by people. The kiddie carsportters were only taking pictures of my car. Ask Farmer :)

--

"car, my car is only parked outside at the general parking lot yet it was surrounded by people. The kiddie carsportters were only taking pictures of my car. Ask Farmer :)"

Nick, it's the unusual color. Smiley

​​​​​​​

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:

"car, my car is only parked outside at the general parking lot yet it was surrounded by people. The kiddie carsportters were only taking pictures of my car. Ask Farmer :)"

Nick, it's the unusual color. Smiley

Yeah, try black next time. SmileySmiley​​​​​​​

--

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

Their special non-road legal car that was on Youtube, I already placed an order direct with them. 

Smiley I am very excited about finding out more about this car . Probably ,  the ultimate week end track toy .

And you will need some serious skills to try and tame it.

The unobtainable, I ma so gonna sell one of my existing Porsche for it.

humm, which one is this ? 

The one without the top.

The other cars that was rumoured, it is what it is been rumour at.

This is the speedster or maybe the GT4 with NA ( ??? ) engine ???

The car that's above the rumoured cars, well they are still deciding, but judging from their reactions, it is going into production, they still need to figure out how to do the induction system though. Right now it is like a Frankenstein, with GT parts stolen from other lines.

And then this would be the GT4 RS ????

2 has a 7k redline, 1 has a 9k

Whoopsy, are we saying Cayman GT4 will get turbo charged 6 cylinders with 7k ?

quite the contrary from what auto car was claiming..... even if I would believe 100 times yoursel than those guys :-)

Im interested to add the GT 4 on top of the GT3..... your advice will be precious there ... some headaches Smiley

--

991.2 GT3 PDK Black on black

Whoopsy has already spilled the beans when he was in SA. The GT4 will get the detuned 4.0l engine and manual gearbox from the GT3.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

True.....kiss

bluelines:

Whoopsy has already spilled the beans when he was in SA. The GT4 will get the detuned 4.0l engine and manual gearbox from the GT3.

I know it will have 4.0L and I was assuming the GT3 engine back then.

--

Try this for unusual color.

IMG_8391.JPG

--

Whoopsy:

Try this for unusual color.

IMG_8391.JPG

Tell me this is a wrap or I am missing something? 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:
    I saw the car live at a press demo, didn't really like it's look (it looks Japanese, sorry) but yes, I haven't driven it yet.

If the fantastic (from a construction and design point of view) 4C didn't have success, why would the Alpine have one? 

This is why I asked: Would you buy one? Not only theoretically. 

Fiat is not Renault . Renault knows how to produce . 4C can not be driven as a DD and looks very exotic  . The Alpine is comfortable enough to be used as a DD  , is more versatile , has a '' quiet'' look  , and is backed up by history . Driving on the twisted  speed limited country roads around here I had more driving pleasure in the Alpine then the Cayman . The Cayman feels much more luxury and solid , but less nimble and playful . 

As mentioned on the Alpine thread , the launch edition of about 1900 cars was sold out in 24h . The car is VERY nice to drive on open roads and probably fun on a tight track .

If I change my DD Carrera  S 997 I would have the following on my list : Alpine, Carrera T , Mustang Bullit  Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

If not for Piech's fierce passion for Audi, there would never been an Audi R8. That slot would fit perfectly within Porsche.

Very well said. The R8 makes no sense at Audi (apprently everyone at Audi knows that, with the exception of Audi and VW Group leadership), a 960 at Porsche does. Otherwise Porsche wouldn't loose customers to Audi, Lamborghini, McLaren and even Ferrari.

Blame Piech for killing the 960 even before it was born.

Maybe...

--

For me, Fiat and Renault are the same crap (talking about road cars here).

The 4C has at least a vibe of Ferrari, the Alpine has the vibe of...Renault?! 😜

--

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:

I know it will have 4.0L and I was assuming the GT3 engine back then.

Are you saying there is another 4.0l engine?

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM