Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Australian F1 Grand Prix

Well, well, well. Kimi was fastest in Practice 1 and Lewis was fastest in Practice 2. No surprises there. But I was surprised at how quick the Red Bull cars are. They seem to be faster than the factory Renault even though they are using the same engine. Force India were a big surprise too. Honda weren't as bad as I was fearing. I think overall there is a big bunch in the middle of the grid that is going to be super-competitive all season long.

I can't wait till qualification and the race. Although Ferrari and McLaren are clearly quicker than the rest of the field, this is still going to be a season to remember

Re: Australian F1 Grand Prix

Renault was working on race strategy and setups during the first two runs while Honda and RedBull did some "quali" like stints. This means that their times have to be analyzed carefully.
    Ferrari and Mclaren by the way are at least a good half a second in front of everyone else.
    This is at least my impression.

A question mark is still Williams: session hindered by problems and so true potential of the car still to exploit.
    Let's see this night

Isn't Adrian Newey at Red Bull? No surprise then. If they have a driver of Kimi or Alonso or Lewis' ability then they would be on top I reckon. Here is a pic of me today with someone all of us F1 fans would know. He told me that they have taken a big risk with their cars this year, so once it is all sorted out, there is a potential that it could be very quick.

Oh and btw, it was freaking hot today. 40 degrees celcius! I am burned, but I can't wait for quali tomorrow under the sun!

Can any part of the qualifying or race be viewed live online without paying for Bernie's next haircut?

Yes. There's some Chinese channels that you can watch it on, and speed was also available I think.

I've tried two different programs tvuplayer (http://www.tvunetworks.com/) and sopcast. The Chinese channel was called something like CCTV I believe.

They can get slow during GPs though, and the quality is not too good.

Good luck, I'm getting it on tv again

@WAY: That's so cool !! Say hi to Mario Thiessen from me! I think BMW Sauber is one of the teams to watch. They have an excellent engine developing just about as much power as any other team. They have a fantastic driver line up in Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica. Plus, BMW is a very determined team. Success is not just possible but probable. IMHO it's just a question of time before they are on a par with McLaren and Ferrari competing for race wins.

BMW Sauber proved that the Williams chassis (for which they supplied the engine for some years) was simply holding them back. BMW Sauber has done a better job than Williams has done in recent years. (The glory days at Williams are just a distant and faded memory).

Are you watching the race in BMW's VIP area or with the team itself in the garage? Wish I could get invited to these things... You're a lucky bugg*r!!!! Enjoy it mate

From what I can tell, it seems that, if Ferrari can get their set up right in Saturday Practice (which Kimi was complaining had gone from being good in Practice 1 to being bad in Practice 2) then we will see some really blisteringly quick times from the Ferrari drivers.

I think Kimi (with the optimal set up) is about 0.3 - 0.5 seconds quicker than Hamilton per lap. I think McLaren is about 0.5 - 1.0 seconds quicker than the chasing teams.

I can't wait till the suspense is over this weekend. The last race in November feels like ages ago. I need my F1 fix!

Tell him he made mistake when he fired my favorite driver - Jacques Villeneuve...

Interesting thread about ITV F1 coverage in the UK:

http://forums.itv.com/2/622429/ShowThread.aspx

I actually like Martin Brundle, Louise Goodman, Ted Kravitz, James Allen and Mark Blundell is not too bad. The only person who is totally and utterly out of place and superfluous is Steve Rider. He needs to go back to commenting on other sports since it's clear he doesn't have a clue about F1.

Hey! Jacques USED to be a very talented driver but he really went downhill in the last third of his career. He lost motivation, made countless careless mistakes and was no longer even a pale shadow of what he used to be. But that's all just my opinion.

Is anyone going to watch the 12 Hours of Sebring?

The "free practice" lap times should always be taken with a grain of salt since the pace of most driver, namely the top drivers are way different when it's crunch time.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Hey! Jacques USED to be a very talented driver but he really went downhill in the last third of his career. He lost motivation, made countless careless mistakes and was no longer even a pale shadow of what he used to be. But that's all just my opinion.

Agree with you

Years between 1998 and 2005 wasn't nice for fans like me, who supported him since his indy days in 1994...

I hope he will do well in Le Mans this year..

Here's my Aussie GP prediction:

1. Raikkonen
    2. Massa
    3. Alonso
    4. Heidfeld
    5. Kovalainen

Hamilton - out with engine failure after running in the top 2 for 70% of the race.

I bet all of you a virtual beer on it.

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Agree with you

Years between 1998 and 2005 wasn't nice for fans like me, who supported him since his indy days in 1994...

As a Canadian, I'm with you on this. Jacques was my favourite driver in the late 90's. I was so disappointed that all the money in the world couldn't make BAR competitive. I thought Jacques was staying on because of his friendship with CP, but maybe it's because it was the only team that would give him a ride.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Agree with you

As a Canadian, I'm with you on this. Jacques was my favourite driver in the late 90's. I was so disappointed that all the money in the world couldn't make BAR competitive. I thought Jacques was staying on because of his friendship with CP, but maybe it's because it was the only team that would give him a ride.

In 2001 or 2002 he received offer from Renault, but for much smaller salery than he received in BAR..

Enjoy your time at the Grand Prix! We would like to see more pictures.

There seem to be quite a few surprises, both cars and drivers. Looking really forward...

German television channel RTL is going to present the race on the internet; take a look at rtl.de in about four hours.

watch it live online ! it is faster then sky in uk

http://itv-95.vo.llnwd.net/d1/broadband/itvf1/default.html

It's half 3 in the morning!! I'm knackered but it's more exciting to watch it live!

Kimi is out after the first qualifying session.....
    Fuel Pressure regulator problem! He'll start tomorrow's race in 16th place.....

webber also right front brake fail!

ALONSO IS OUT! Where are those 0.6 seconds?

those bmw r so strong this year!

Quote:
    bazza said:
    those bmw r so strong this year!

Yeah, Kubica made a mistake and still managed a great time. Let's see if they have the same race pace as the Mclarens.

Damn, i'm awake now.

ferrari look kinda different after jean todd left!

Had another sensational day today. I had my money on Kimi but his car failed on me. Kubica was a real surprise, especially given that he put his car off the track in setting the fastest time. Great day all in all. At the end of the day, I saw Kimi, Lewis, Alonso, Nico, Lewis' dad, Fisi and Massa leaving. I have pics with Lewis' dad and Fisi but it's on my friend's camera. Here are some pics anyway out of my phone. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    @WAY: That's so cool !! Say hi to Mario Thiessen from me! I think BMW Sauber is one of the teams to watch. They have an excellent engine developing just about as much power as any other team. They have a fantastic driver line up in Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica. Plus, BMW is a very determined team. Success is not just possible but probable. IMHO it's just a question of time before they are on a par with McLaren and Ferrari competing for race wins.

BMW Sauber proved that the Williams chassis (for which they supplied the engine for some years) was simply holding them back. BMW Sauber has done a better job than Williams has done in recent years. (The glory days at Williams are just a distant and faded memory).

Are you watching the race in BMW's VIP area or with the team itself in the garage? Wish I could get invited to these things... You're a lucky bugg*r!!!! Enjoy it mate

I was invited by BMW Australia. BMW's VIP area is the same as the F1 team's VIP area, so the drivers and Mario comes in and mingle. This is the first time I have spent time with the BMW Sauber F1 team. In the past two years I have been with McLaren and Ferrari so I have had the opportunity to chat with Schumacher, Massa, Hamilton and Alonso. Yes I have been very lucky.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    ... Yes I have been very lucky.

You lucky guy! What is it that you do to get invited?

I got invited because my family and friends buy 10+ BMW's a year (and I keep telling everyone here how good a 135i is haha!) and the invites to McLaren and Ferrari was through their main sponsor who I am a client of.

WAY any pics of Alonso???

WoW, amazing weekend you are having, it must be very nice !!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM