Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018) - Short Review (incomplete)

The Baby Zen stroller fits in the 911 frunk indecision 

The California falls short on all-wheel drive, track use, depreciation and service cost. ...and it has got the engine in the wrong place indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

AWD is useless on a convertible.

Trackability is useless on a convertible bar a few exceptions.

You can find low miles used California that will dampen the depreciation massively.

Service costs are more, but not a big deal on such expensive cars.

Still a mid engine car, unlike the 911.

More importantly the California is a cool exotic car, the regular 911 has long lost that cachet around here.

bluelines:

The California falls short on all-wheel drive, track use, depreciation and service cost. ...and it has got the engine in the wrong place 

Plus it’s far from being a sports car and instead is a GT car with a number of lower cost competitors.  

CGX car nut:
    bluelines:

The California falls short on all-wheel drive, track use, depreciation and service cost. ...and it has got the engine in the wrong place 

Plus it’s far from being a sports car and instead is a GT car with a number of lower cost competitors.  

What is your point? It is in the exact same category as a 911 convertible but at a higher price point due to lower manufacturing numbers and much nicer interior. There are no other sporty 4 seater convertible except maybe if the seats of the new DB10 convertible are large enough. The rest of the field, Maserati included, are just bland boring people movers. Even die hard Ferrari fans have stopped bashing the California for not being a real Ferrari.

Btw these are based on years of ownership and personal experience, I can’t quite seem to recall what car you drive although you apparently drive some recent sport cars occasionally, probably linked to your work so maybe biased...

SciFrog:

More importantly the California is a cool exotic car, the regular 911 has long lost that cachet around here.

Now you are talking about exclusivity, not about functionality. That is important to some, not to me.

The other points I mentioned invalidate the California as a choice for me. Even though the California is more powerful it is also a whopping half a minute slower than the 911 GTS around the Ring. Heck there are SUVs faster around the Ring than the California (no, not the Macan Turbo). That tells me all I need to know about it’s handling and purpose. I don’t want a GT cruiser, I want a sports car.

--

SciFrog:

AWD is useless on a convertible.

Wrong, especially in Bavaria and Switzerland. Smiley My wife had a M3 convertible, most horrible vehicle in winter time she even encountered. I had to fill her trunk up with 40 kg of sand to make the traction somehow acceptable. She couldn't even go up the very moderate hill up to our house when there was fresh snow. Once, I sat in the trunk, so she can go up. Smiley

Trackability is useless on a convertible bar a few exceptions.

True, I agree. However, I had once a really serious fight with a guy on a different forum who tracked his 911 convertible. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:
    There are no other sporty 4 seater convertible except maybe if the seats of the new DB10 convertible are large enough. The rest of the field, Maserati included, are just bland boring people movers.

I got 3 words for you...a Macan GT3 Convertible SmileySmiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

bluelines:
    SciFrog:

Now you are talking about exclusivity, not about functionality. That is important to some, not to me.

The other points I mentioned invalidate the California as a choice for me. Even though the California is more powerful it is also a whopping half a minute slower than the 911 GTS around the Ring. Heck there are SUVs faster around the Ring than the California (no, not the Macan Turbo). That tells me all I need to know about it’s handling and purpose. I don’t want a GT cruiser, I want a sports car.

If you have found a way to use even 50% of the potential of you GTS with two infants in the back and a wife in the front, you have done real good. The F might be slower, but it is also more fun to drive and the ownership experience as a whole is on another level. After 6 years, every time we take the California out it is an experience despite our model being the first and slowest of the models. The old 911 convertible was replaced in the past by a Vantage roadster which is still in the garage after 11 years when all other Porsche “sport” cars are long gone. Go figure.

AWD is very important if you drive in the winter. But seriously, when you know it will rain, there is no point using the kind of cars we are talking about. Take out the Macan GT3 convertible EV Smiley

I agree, a Ferrari is always a different experience than a Porsche but I think that the 911 GTS isn't far behind.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

I agree, a Ferrari is always a different experience than a Porsche but I think that the 911 GTS isn't far behind.

let's not talk about proper GT cars from PAG. the Ferrari experience will then be a joke. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

let's not talk about proper GT cars from PAG. the Ferrari experience will then be a joke. Smiley

I think you missed the part with the family... Smiley

--

RC:

SmileySmileySmiley

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:

I think you missed the part with the family... Smiley

there is a trunk for that or the cage is also good to keep them quiet at the back Smiley or best, let them at home Smiley

completely overlooked the family part Smiley
    --

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Do you really think I would drive a E63S without kids? Never ever. When I saw that the guy from Virgin Vehicles (YouTube) bought a E63S at age 20 something, I was asking myself: Why in the world would he do that? He already has a supercharged Huracan, I get it but an E63S at his age? What for? He doesn't even have a dog. Smiley

--

RC:

Do you really think I would drive a E63S without kids? Never ever. When I saw that the guy from Virgin Vehicles (YouTube) bought a E63S at age 20 something, I was asking myself: Why in the world would he do that? He already has a supercharged Huracan, I get it but an E63S at his age? What for? He doesn't even have a dog. Smiley

I read dogs and kids in same category Smiley I like the idea.Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

has anyone worked out how to get rear seats installed in a GT3 Touring?

996FourEss:

It must be relatively easy . I know of one car that had it done at their OPC 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS ( SOLD ) 

Gnil:
    996FourEss:

good luck to claim anything with the insurance in case of issues...their system clearly shows 2 seats only Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    Gnil:
    996FourEss:

good luck to claim anything with the insurance in case of issues...their system clearly shows 2 seats only Smiley

Some people are willing to take that risk ... witch  should be in the 1 % .... 

We live in a society of risk aversion to the extent that  people want 0 %  all the time ...

--

I would never ever do that in Switzerland. The insurance is not my main worry, but the police. You would drive an uninsured and unapproved car on public roads. I guess the police would not shoot you on the spot, but close to indecision A fine based on your income, a prison sentence and at least 2 years in the criminal register. I have been down that alley once...

--

Gnil:
    996FourEss:

Not that easy and completely illegal, Porsche does not support this and in case of an accident (shit happens), the insurance will deny all claims because the car is certified as a two seater only. Not worth the risk, sorry to say that. Unless you have tons of money and can afford paying your medical/repair/etc. bills by your own without taking a sweat.

Another issue is that, for example in Germany, the car looses the entire certification. Meaning: If a third party is involved in the accident and you are somehow to blame, be prepared to pay up for their damage out of your own pocket as well. 

Again: A huge financial risk, not worth it.

--

It is not only financial. You cannot pay yourself out from a prison sentence or criminal record... This could have huge impact on your life depending on profession or situation.

--

bluelines:

It is not only financial. You cannot pay yourself out from a prison sentence or criminal record... This could have huge impact on your life depending on profession or situation.

This... Another good point. Smiley

--

RC:
    Gnil:
    996FourEss:

Not that easy and completely illegal, Porsche does not support this and in case of an accident (shit happens), the insurance will deny all claims because the car is certified as a two seater only. Not worth the risk, sorry to say that. Unless you have tons of money and can afford paying your medical/repair/etc. bills by your own without taking a sweat.

Another issue is that, for example in Germany, the car looses the entire certification. Meaning: If a third party is involved in the accident and you are somehow to blame, be prepared to pay up for their damage out of your own pocket as well. 

Again: A huge financial risk, not worth it.

If someone does it , he can afford all these consequences Smiley

--

bluelines:

I did not check it out, but that sounds pretty extreme for such a mod .  When I was in my 20's driving motorbike that were homologated for one seat , but  taking a second passenger did not give you more then a fine . ( not talking insurance stuff ) 

Then, getting checked that thoroughly by the Police is pretty rare . They would need to have suspicions etc.. to go and look at it .   I have not had to show my car documents to any Police in Switzerland in the  last 15 years ..... odds are tiny 

--

It happened to me once. Due to not having a permanent residence permit at that time the license plates expired when my permit did. Little did I know. The police impounded the car on a public parking spot in Zürich, I had to get it transported home and then the fun started...

Due to not having valid license plates I had been driving illegally, the insurance would not cover so I had broken that law too, etc. All in all I had broken 4-5 laws. A hefty fine, a prison sentence (which I luckily did not have to serve) and two years in the criminal record. I got away with a light sentence since I had not done this on purpose, but rather through not being informed.

Doing such a modification with rear seats would invalidate the type registration of the car and hence I assume it will be right down the alley I went. Driving illegally and without insurance cover. On purpose.

The risk is small, but the impact possibly severe... indecision

--

You would have been cool though with the prison sentence. 

I can see you now, son, pumping iron with the crims, showing your RT chest hair...

Pure bad ass...indecision....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

You would have been cool though with the prison sentence. 

I can see you now, son, pumping iron with the crims, showing your RT chest hair...

Pure bad ass...indecision....

Goes without saying.

Smiley

--

bluelines:

It happened to me once. Due to not having a permanent residence permit at that time the license plates expired when my permit did. Little did I know. The police impounded the car on a public parking spot in Zürich, I had to get it transported home and then the fun started...

Due to not having valid license plates I had been driving illegally, the insurance would not cover so I had broken that law too, etc. All in all I had broken 4-5 laws. A hefty fine, a prison sentence (which I luckily did not have to serve) and two years in the criminal record. I got away with a light sentence since I had not done this on purpose, but rather through not being informed.

Doing such a modification with rear seats would invalidate the type registration of the car and hence I assume it will be right down the alley I went. Driving illegally and without insurance cover. On purpose.

The risk is small, but the impact possibly severe... indecision

The best solution is to buy the super fast GT Silver GTS and forget about the GT3 T with rear seats.

Legal, cheaper AND faster,Smiley

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Such funny stories. As I watch kids and dogs riding in the back of pick up trucks going down the highway. I’m certain doing that in the US is technically illegal as well but ...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690362 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409670 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255924 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858338 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774591 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM