Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018) - Short Review (incomplete)

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:
    pmarkow:

can you guys just cut out those arguments and get back to the fact that RC's AMG is the fastest car around - at least it would be on a speed limited extremely safe US highway:::))))

take it easy and relax.

btw, i hate boxes, be it for handbags, pateks, rolexes or cameras. and so does my wife. 

Not as fast as my R8... Smiley Smiley

Guys, I really think I need to do some polishing on my English because I get the feeling you take everything I say seriously. Smiley

But isn't it you who always blames us for incompatible humour or not using the appropriate smiley. Smiley 

No, I blame you for German humor, this is much worse. Smiley Smiley

Well, as you seem to be one of the few who fail to understand my humour, I don't care. SmileySmiley

Or most people are just too polite... Smiley

One should not always draw conclusions from oneself to others. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Nobody is polite to me...trust me. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Now ask yourself why. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    RC:

Now ask yourself why. Smiley

I know why, this is the beauty of it. I don't care. Smiley Smiley

I have enough going on in my life, I don't need to make friends on the internet (not that it didn't happen, thank god). Smiley

Not a fan of political correctness and false understood politeness but you know that. 

Now back to topic, there is more interesting off-topic stuff in a E63 thread. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

LOL. Whoopsy, it sounds like you just want people to see your giant boxes that say a fancy name on it. Also, when you buy stuff from high-end places, they offer to ship directly to your home (or hotel) so you don't need to carry a bunch of shit around with you all day. You come, you try, you buy, and then they offer to ship it often the same day.

Want to keep your box? They'll ship the thing empty if that's so important to you. Does your wife want to swap shoes and bags right then and there? No problem, they'll put your old one in the box and ship you that one.

noone1:

LOL. Whoopsy, it sounds like you just want people to see your giant boxes that say a fancy name on it. Also, when you buy stuff from high-end places, they offer to ship directly to your home (or hotel) so you don't need to carry a bunch of shit around with you all day. You come, you try, you buy, and then they offer to ship it often the same day.

Want to keep your box? They'll ship the thing empty if that's so important to you. Does your wife want to swap shoes and bags right then and there? No problem, they'll put your old one in the box and ship you that one.

Some people still like the boutique experience that you can get in high luxury boutiques. free champagne for instance Smiley I don't like this particular moment so I drink...everybody is happy.Smiley

you can also request for a private bag to hide your label box...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

noone1:

That's the difference between you and others. Instant gratification. And why would I want to risk the chance of the shipping company lose it or damage it? It just adds to the hassle, wasted time and effort to file a claim. 

I hate buying something then have to wait for it. Ruins the mood. Imagine you going into a steak house and ordered dinner. You paid for it but they will FedEx the steak to you overnight so you can have it 2 nights later. How's that make you feel?

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

That's the difference between you and others. Instant gratification. And why would I want to risk the chance of the shipping company lose it or damage it? It just adds to the hassle, wasted time and effort to file a claim. 

I hate buying something then have to wait for it. Ruins the mood. Imagine you going into a steak house and ordered dinner. You paid for it but they will FedEx the steak to you overnight so you can have it 2 nights later. How's that make you feel?

Smiley Smiley Same here, some people enjoy the order process and the wait time but I hate it. Unfortunately, many products aren't available instantly.

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

With that upgrade his interest in the car will be lengthened by 10 to 12 months wink

But it takes that long just to sort out the 'upgrade' and make it work properly!

Smiley I won't get a Brabus update, especially since it seems that Brabus "reports" tuning to Mercedes.

Also, no need to upgrade: As long as I smoke that Swedish Swiss guy's C4 GTS and that french scientific frog whatever Ferrari, I'm good. Smiley Smiley

I think you are the only one who cares about smoking someone else on the streets Smiley

SciFrog:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

With that upgrade his interest in the car will be lengthened by 10 to 12 months wink

But it takes that long just to sort out the 'upgrade' and make it work properly!

Smiley I won't get a Brabus update, especially since it seems that Brabus "reports" tuning to Mercedes.

Also, no need to upgrade: As long as I smoke that Swedish Swiss guy's C4 GTS and that french scientific frog whatever Ferrari, I'm good. Smiley Smiley

I think you are the only one who cares about smoking someone else on the streets Smiley

Did I say anything about "street"? 😜🤗

--

Where else? smiley

SciFrog:

Where else? smiley

There are so many possibilities...track...(deserted) airport field...closed roads (construction)...test tracks (Boxberg is pretty close to my home)...private roads... Smiley

--

A few words regarding Mercedes Service: When I called last week for an appointment to get the rear axle oil exchanged, the woman on the phone didn't know what I am talking about. She repeatedly asked if I need an "engine oil change" and I repeatedly explained that the car is an E63 S AMG and requires a mandatory rear axle oil exchange at 3000 km. Then, she asked if an appointment early June would be OK after I explicitly explained to her that my car is going to have 3000 km after the weekend and I need to have the mandatory oil exchange done afterwards because otherwise, I need to drive a car from the competition while the AMG sits in the garage. I think she understood my pointer because she gave me an appointment on the Monday following that weekend.

When I arrived at the Service point, they knew I had a new car, they didn't even "present" me my mechanic. I took the liberty to do that myself, I like to know the persons who work on my car(s). 

I wanted an oil exchange as well but my mechanic said that from his experience, they had analyzed oil samples from cars at 3000 km in the past, an engine oil exchange is not necessary and it would be thrown out money. He recommended to have the oil exchanged after the next winter (or when the next service is due, whatever happens earlier). I accepted his recommendation because it saved

My sales guy had passed on a note to the Service point regarding the Track Pace retrofit (a COMAND software update which requires the car to "sit" for a whole day at the dealership since apparently the update is uploaded directly to the car from AMG Affalterbach). I mentioned the Track Pace retrofit to the mechanic, he promised to take care of it but when I picked up my car...no retrofit. The mechanic was already gone home (after 5 pm). I contacted my sales guy and he apologized a thousand times, he felt pretty bad about this because he specifically notified the Service shop regarding Track Pace. Oh well, not really a problem but annoying.

The rear axle oil exchange was surprisingly cheap, "only" 175 EUR total.

OK, they (hand)washed my car for free, this was positive.

Overall not the greatest Service experience but to my dealership's defense, they are doing some renovation work and their service point capacity is very limited right now.

--

RC:

I wanted an oil exchange as well but my mechanic said that from his experience, they had analyzed oil samples from cars at 3000 km in the past, an engine oil exchange is not necessary and it would be thrown out money. He recommended to have the oil exchanged after the next winter (or when the next service is due, whatever happens earlier). I accepted his recommendation because it saved

My sales guy had passed on a note to the Service point regarding the Track Pace retrofit (a COMAND software update which requires the car to "sit" for a whole day at the dealership since apparently the update is uploaded directly to the car from AMG Affalterbach). I mentioned the Track Pace retrofit to the mechanic, he promised to take care of it but when I picked up my car...no retrofit. The mechanic was already gone home (after 5 pm). I contacted my sales guy and he apologized a thousand times, he felt pretty bad about this because he specifically notified the Service shop regarding Track Pace. Oh well, not really a problem but annoying.

The rear axle oil exchange was surprisingly cheap, "only" 175 EUR total.

OK, they (hand)washed my car for free, this was positive.

Overall not the greatest Service experience but to my dealership's defense, they are doing some renovation work and their service point capacity is very limited right now.

This doesn't really tally with the laboured break in period does it, if it need all those miles for proper bedding in and sealing you would have assumed that meant that there would be lots of metal floating about afterwards something not right - i just don't trust "mechanics" even though he said they have does oil analyses does he mean on your type of engine or is he meaning on other engine types so that he can give this stock answer to gear head types who ask for the 1000 mile oil change ? - Just my experience, many forum anoraks are more forensically into detail than manufacture employees as anoraks are driven by passion compared to employee's paycheck Smiley

The service dept forgetting your software update is very sloppy I would be very upset it has wasted your time, very poor Smiley 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

RC:

Changing the engine oil more often than less often  is very healthy for high performance cars especially those which are driven as such. This is more so in areas with high ambient temperatures and dust.

Modern oils are supposed to last very long if we listen to oil manufacturers, but the cost of an extra oil change is a small fraction of high performance car ownership.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:
    RC:

Changing the engine oil more often than less often  is very healthy for high performance cars especially those which are driven as such. This is more so in areas with high ambient temperatures and dust.

Modern oils are supposed to last very long if we listen to oil manufacturers, but the cost of an extra oil change is a small fraction of high performance car ownership.

I know but modern engines aren't really that sensitive anymore, my Audi mechanic told me the same before I had my R8's oil exchanged (wasn't necessary). Since I plan to buy the R8 when the lease ends or I don't know for sure, I wanted to be safe and do something good for the engine, so I had the oil exchanged anyway. Smiley

The E63 will go back to the dealership once I get a new appointment for the Track Pace retrofit, so I may reconsider my decision to have the oil exchanged.

--

For a car which is leased 2-3 years this oil change exercise is rather pointless IMHO.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

For a car which is leased 2-3 years this oil change exercise is rather pointless IMHO.

This.

bluelines:

Smiley

its funny how owners follow the break in guidelines in the manual but don’t believe the recommended oil change guidelines which are also in the manual.mail

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

bluelines:

Agreed but I have to be honest, I feel better with an oil exchange, even if the car isn't actually "mine". Smiley 

Found out some interesting fact from Renntech, the well known Mercedes tuner (don't worry, no tuning for my car): Apparently, my particular engine (also used in the other AMG models with some mods) is very sensitive to fuel quality and especially 102 octane from Aral (Ultimate 102). They tested different fuels and qualities and apparently the Shell VPower has too many additives (still meets the 100 octane criteria) but the Ultimate 102 fuel "adds" for example over 25(!) hp to a AMG GT S (versus the 98 octane fuel) without any software adaptation. Quite interesting...

Actually, they claim that many modern direct fuel injection turbo engines often (not always) profit from higher octane fuel as well, so it may be worth a try.

--

nberry:
    bluelines:

Smiley

its funny how owners follow the break in guidelines in the manual but don’t believe the recommended oil change guidelines which are also in the manual.mail

I don't think it is a matter of "not believing" the manual re oil change interval it is simply that petrolhead logic dictates that an early post break in oil change will be beneficial to the motor with no downsides apart from a few shekels..... I ALWAYS feel that my motors run smoother after an oil change Smiley

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

absent:

In US, you are only about $4k away from that 800HP (my dealer offers it and continues warranty coverage)

$4k for 200hp seems like a good deal compared to what Porsche charges for a 20hp Powerkit...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    absent:

In US, you are only about $4k away from that 800HP (my dealer offers it and continues warranty coverage)

$4k for 200hp seems like a good deal compared to what Porsche charges for a 20hp Powerkit...

I am still skeptical... The Brabus 800 kit costs much more in Germany, so does the Renntech kit (both require the usage of new turbo chargers). 4k? Sounds like a software update only. Hmm...I would be careful. 

--

RC:
    Grant:
    absent:

I am still skeptical... The Brabus 800 kit costs much more in Germany, so does the Renntech kit (both require the usage of new turbo chargers). 4k? Sounds like a software update only. Hmm...I would be careful. 

It is American tuner hp, good for an on ramp burst or a quarter mile pass, you would heat it up way too much on the Autobahn and end up with less than stock hp - pointless.

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

cannot agree more - had once a interesting discussion with expert and understanding the damage you do with just "chipping" is well underestimated. (temperatures,livetime,auxiliaries etc) that is why real tuning costs real money

RC:
    bluelines:

Agreed but I have to be honest, I feel better with an oil exchange, even if the car isn't actually "mine". Smiley 

Found out some interesting fact from Renntech, the well known Mercedes tuner (don't worry, no tuning for my car): Apparently, my particular engine (also used in the other AMG models with some mods) is very sensitive to fuel quality and especially 102 octane from Aral (Ultimate 102). They tested different fuels and qualities and apparently the Shell VPower has too many additives (still meets the 100 octane criteria) but the Ultimate 102 fuel "adds" for example over 25(!) hp to a AMG GT S (versus the 98 octane fuel) without any software adaptation. Quite interesting...

Actually, they claim that many modern direct fuel injection turbo engines often (not always) profit from higher octane fuel as well, so it may be worth a try.

--

You also trust in RUF Automobile...during my last visit I asked them, why their own ARAL gas station does not have Ultimate102...

They said I should save my money and use the normal 98Super+.

Blueflame

78293CB0-63C8-4759-8536-D6F4B84767D8.jpeg

BjoernB:

cannot agree more - had once a interesting discussion with expert and understanding the damage you do with just "chipping" is well underestimated. (temperatures,livetime,auxiliaries etc) that is why real tuning costs real money

All my AMGs since 2002 were modded by Renntech, had nothing but great experience.

Some cars had only very simply ECU mod and exhaust, I drive very hard but of course it is not possible to drive any extended time at 200km/h + in US as it might be in Germany (rarely so in my experience, especially lately).

My old 2004 S600 had just the ECU and exhaust by Renntech, dynoed at 545HP (at the wheels), I did about 30k trouble free miles and sent the car to my uncle in Poland.

He used it for commuting between Wroclaw (Breslau) and Hannover, did that round trip once a week (former pro rally driver), when he sold the car, the odometer had 225k miles  (about 374k kilometers).

Just regular maintenance, shocks replaced, etc, replaced the turbos with a reconditioned set at 200k miles.

My point is that Helmut Feyhl   runs a very reputable business , his company is not just some fly by night scammer like many other happen to be, I'm not sure whether most here are aware he ran AMG USA until they were absorbed by MB. .

blueflame:
    RC:
    bluelines:

--

You also trust in RUF Automobile...during my last visit I asked them, why their own ARAL gas station does not have Ultimate102...

They said I should save my money and use the normal 98Super+.

Blueflame

I keep saying that for ages... Smiley

--

Rossi:

I keep saying that for ages... Smiley

Eey, 102 octane and side decals is at least 100hp Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RC:
    nberry:

Can we end this silly argument now and you all admit you’re wrong? Stop conflating  driver skill with speed.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/may/13/speed-limits-reduce-number-road-deaths

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

Funny: In Germany, we have no general speed limit and the number of deaths drops year by year, despite people getting more powerful and faster cars. Also, compared to other countries in Europe, we have one of the lowest accident rates.

Compared to the USA? Well...as far as I understood, there were 127 traffic deaths per million inhabitants in 2016. In Germany? Well, 39 traffic deaths per million inhabitants.  3x more traffic deaths in the USA compared to Germany. What does this tell you? Maybe if some drivers in the US would understand how dumb texting and driving is... Give them a 1000 bucks fine if they don't understand, they will understand. My kids invented a game while driving in the US: How many people are texting and driving. The results were often shocking, basically every second or third driver they spotted in the Miami area was texting while driving. This is just pure stupidity. Smiley

The secret behind less traffic deaths? Simple: Very good driver education, mentality (oh boy, Italy is the best example that mentality plays a huge role in driver behavior), good roads and a general sense of "restraint" when it comes to speeding in speed limited zones.

My last self inflicted accident happened at age 19...I am 53 now. In these 34 years, I had one single situation where I said "this was close" but it wasn't my fault. I "saved" it by being vigilant and it was one of those one in a million situations which normally just don't happen. Driving at higher speeds, you always need to be vigilant. No talking to your passengers, no day dreaming, no changing radio stations/whatever, no looking at your phone, every distraction could be your last one. Usually, when I want to talk to my passengers and/or enjoy music or just have a relaxed drive, I lower the speed substantially. Sometimes I enjoy driving slow (which for me means 140-160 kph) but only when I have other people in the car.

Did I invent the safe driving? Certainly not but so many accidents could be avoided if people would only respect the basic driving guidelines. The most important driving rule is: Adapt your driving to the driving situation/environment and driving skills.

--

Ain’t that the truth

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM