Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Should I pull the trigger?

I saw yesterday that a local 1967 Aston Martin DB6 went onto the market. Problem is the owner paid for it almost half the price a year or two ago and now wants double. I can get a new fully specced 997 Turbo Cab for that price. I phoned the Aston dealer and asked on the history of the car. They said it was fair and could use a bit of work. They think the price is ludacris for that car, if it were cheaper it would have been ok. What do you guys think? The car has 37000kms on the clock and have all service records etc. Should I do it? Bear in mind there is probably not more than 2-3 in the whole country. This could even be the only one?

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

I'd want to be the seller in this position and not the buyer

From an emotional standpoint the older DB cars are amazing... The logical point of view is entirely up to you.

If I may ask , what happened to your brief foray into buying a modern AM? Just get the DBS and you won't have to worry about scratching the Aston itch for quite awhile... (until the real vanquish successor / aston supercar comes out at least)

Best,

Mike, there are things in the world you even cant buy with money. So if you get the chance to get one of those - why not.

Price is important, though. If it is overpriced and you can get this car for this price anywhere on the world so dont do it. Basicly, I always say my next car is a classic, as the value is not dropping like on any other. If you buy that fully specd 997TT you can be sure, that after 3 years the value dropped far more than you have payed premium on that Aston.

You have great cars in your garage, dont need a 997TT, but a DB6 is unique and so much James Bond. In other words, you dont buy that car for driving on state of the art, you buy it cause of emotions when you look on it.

In any way - if you are not a classic expert, get one involved before close that deal, as many hidden traps are involved!

I chose the third option...then i read Lars' post...

The Astons more like an investment, and its not like you need a Turbo, like Lars said.

The only issue stopping you IMHO is whether it will bother you that this guy is overcharging you. If you can live with that, then go for it. If it will always irk you, then there are other fish in the sea

yeah but in this case, its a very rare fish where there is the possiblity of not catching one again ...

I get what your saying tho . Never pictured Mike as a classic car collector though

Mike, I can remember an episode of TopGear where J Clarkson said he always fantasied at owning a classic SL, after driving one for a whole day around london and the surburbs, he agreed that it was a complete waste of money due to the ride amongst other things. On another episode he drove the DB5 and the Jag e-type, he's conclusion was the same. The maintainance cost for these so-called classics are not worth it in my opinion ! I might be wrong

1st, you can't compare the two... one is a daily driver, the other sure isn't... 2nd, you would want the DB5, not the DB6...

db5 ftw

I agree the db5 is the bond car not the db6. I have examined a real DB5 in person in Bond Silver. It is a beautiful machine, but imo, for looking at not drving.

Unless it comes with a driver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfFRQ-StpwA&feature=related

Vanquish S is the AM worth having or V8.

If you're on the fence about it, don't bother. If you've had your heart set on a DB6 for years, don't let the opportunity go. If you aren't passionate about it, I'd take a pass and wait for something you'll really appreciate, IMHO.

I voted NO....not because I dont like it, but it sounds that this guy is trying to make the business of his life lol...

Its not practical, after paying big money for it, and watching the car every single day inside the garage you will ask yourself why did you payed that amount of money, for just letting that car sitting in the garage, its true that you will drive it from time to time, but believe me sooner or later you will ask yourself that question....

You can't compare the fun factor you will have with it vs an actual sportscar of any brand in the price range that guy is trying to sell.....

Also if you say that he bought the car for half the price he is asking right now, do you think the aston is going to increase in value (at least the same proportion) during the next 1-2 years???...

Mike, I would rather get the new DBS, if what you are really looking forward is an AM...

just my opinion, may be I dont know how to value the old school driving sensations

on the other hand, if you have any emotional feeling about that specific car/model, and it really makes you happy owning one, besides the impracticality......then go for it !!!!, It will always at least keep its value (i hope), the worse part is, you'll need to find potential buyers when deciding to sell, and that will be difficult

oh !! and Mike, how the $%&/ !, can you think in buying such a car, when you have that glorious LP640 sleeping in the garage????, please tell me !!!!

haha, just joking !!

The economy is crumbling, offer him 10-20% higher than he paid if you really want it...

Mike, drive the car and you will see there is a big difference between look and driving pleasure.

A lot of Aston owners I talked to over the years do not even consider the DB6 a 'wanted' car for their collection, they say either get a proper DB5 or go straight to 7 or 9, the 6 is kind of the unwanted child. I have no idea why or what they are talking about though.

Thanks for the opinions and thoughts. I still think the DB6 is a beautiful looking car. The guy will be mail me pics in the morning. I'll wait and see, perhaps the car is not even in a good nick and I'll pass it by.

Just interesting to hear the varying comments, thanks guys

BTW Mike, don't worry if the condition isn't perfect. If you ship it to Aston Martin they can virtually rebuild it restoring it to perfection

maybe u would like to check the list from this site!?

http://www.coys.co.uk/showroom/index.php

some more from pistonhead

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.as...=&nodays=60

Mike S, if you're already thinking about giving us the opportunity to share our thoughts, that means some part of your brain (or heart) wants it. I know there are many hidden dangers with classic exotics but if you get it checked out and everything is good (not 100%, these cars will have some things wrong with them) than i'd say: GET IT OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!!

Honestly, this car is so much more than just a piece of history. It's stunning and there's millions of people dreaming about owning one. The price is not an issue because you WILL be able to sell if with a profit no doubt about that.

Im sure you the have space for another car in your beautiful stable which is important. Once you drive it im sure there's nothing like it.

Im pretty young and i can only dream of owning the cars you own some day, but i got the opporunity to drive a Porsche 904 (Carrera GTS)!! AND it was increadible.. You get to appreciate every little bolt.. classic exotics are priceless to have..

In the end it is indeed entirely up to you wether you think the $$$ is worth the smile each morning when you open the door to your stable and see it there!

my 2 cents!

ps. Im looking forward to some pics!!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Thanks for the opinions and thoughts. I still think the DB6 is a beautiful looking car. The guy will be mail me pics in the morning. I'll wait and see, perhaps the car is not even in a good nick and I'll pass it by.

Just interesting to hear the varying comments, thanks guys

Post the pic's here so we can have a look at her as well!

personally, i was never a fan of old car, i think they are nice to look at , not to drive, in that case i'll buy a poster...

I got the photo's I thought I'd share them all with you. How can you tell me that the DB6 is any less of a car than the DB5?

PS. If you see the drophead in the background of the 1 photo. The owner of the car copied me exactly with the Auto Couture wheels I have on my Phantom At least I was the pioner

Mike ! check this company http://www.runnymedemotorcompany.com/ForSale.htm

they do sale many classic aston martin , so you can compare with it !

i found that from motorsport magazine http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/advertise-car/

Definitely a beautiful car but the WOW-factor for me is missing - the decision-maker to buy or not.
    I'd rather try to find a very old "cigar"shaped-racing car with open wheels to ad some nostaligic touch to yr stable...

i found this Ferrari 246S Dino Front Engine Sports Racer - 1968 look very very nice!!!

http://www.aston.co.uk/carsales_index/ph...ne-Sports-Racer

It is realy a matter of taste, are you in love witht he car or not ?..... that is a personnal thing.

I would choose something else, as I do not have the ''WOAW'' factor with these AM... But that's just me..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762568 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257596 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80958 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872351 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807715 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM