Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Tuning Company (Poll)

What Porsche tuning company do You prefer?

Re: Porsche Tuning Company (Poll)

Definitely RUF for me. I wouldn't let any of the other options touch my car.

There is only one reputable tuner in the list: Ruf. I would not let anyone but Ruf, Cargraphic/RS Tuning or Manthey even have a look under the hood.

TechArt does make good cosmetic upgrades but that's it. Gemballa and Rinspeed can't even make such a claim. an

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    There is only one reputable tuner in the list: Ruf. I would not let anyone but Ruf, Cargraphic/RS Tuning or Manthey even have a look under the hood.

TechArt does make good cosmetic upgrades but that's it. Gemballa and Rinspeed can't even make such a claim. an

×2!

Unless, of course, you like bonfires. Then Gemballa would be perfect .

I agree with the above sentiments however I would add two U.S. tuners who have very good reputations, AWE and Protomotive both do great work.

Most of RUF tunings are too much for me.
    I'll stick with TechArt

Quote:
    Discover said:
    I'll stick with TechArt

Too much? ECU and exhaust are hardly 'too much' .

Maybe the poll should be more precise. Are we talking about mechanical upgrades, or only about rims and body kits?

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Maybe the poll should be more precise. Are we talking about mechanical upgrades, or only about rims and body kits?

The poll is specific, the subject is "Porsche Tuning Company"

For me I'd only let RUF touch my car!

Quote:
    BlackOctober said:
    What Porsche tuning company do You prefer?

maybe Ruf,but just the engine. Don't like the car to look like: look at me I'm the fastest badest porsche on the earth!!!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Discover said:
    I'll stick with TechArt

Too much? ECU and exhaust are hardly 'too much' .

Like ed_moree said, i also don't like the look of RUF's cars.
    If it's just the engine - then RUF may be ok

Ruf or Cargraphic (RS-Tuning) only for me also.

all you need to do is look at resale values of Ruf tuned porsches, and you'll find the answer to your question... btw, Ruf has become classified as a car manufacturer in German, not just a tuner...

What about Manthey?

Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    What about Manthey?

Manthey are the guys you go to when you want to track your Porsche. They also have a 700 bhp package for the Turbo, which makes mince meat out of even the Rt12.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    What about Manthey?

Manthey are the guys you go to when you want to track your Porsche. They also have a 700 bhp package for the Turbo, which makes mince meat out of even the Rt12.

Crash, can you recall the 0-300 time of their big engine package? I thought it was approx. 23s?

Quote:
    Marwan said:
    all you need to do is look at resale values of Ruf tuned porsches, and you'll find the answer to your question... btw, Ruf has become classified as a car manufacturer in German, not just a tuner...

The Cargraphic tuning packages are half the cost of the Ruf ones (here in the UK) so resale differences are almost irrelevant as you are already saving $$$$ to start off with. Also, the good thing about CG is you can take everything off very easily come resale:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080208.007/wcf-test-drive-cargraphic-porsche-911-turbo

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    What about Manthey?

Crash, can you recall the 0-300 time of their big engine package? I thought it was approx. 23s?

I don't recall exactly, but low 20s does sound right. They also estimate a Nordschleife time of 7:20. The best 0-200 time achieved was 9.2 seconds . Would make a great package with VTGs.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    What about Manthey?

http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainframe.asp?lang=de&e1=293

look to 11/2004 test sport auto.
    I hope will do the special treatment also with 997

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

The Cargraphic tuning packages are half the cost of the Ruf ones (here in the UK) so resale differences are almost irrelevant as you are already saving $$$$ to start off with. Also, the good thing about CG is you can take everything off very easily come resale:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080208.007/wcf-test-drive-cargraphic-porsche-911-turbo

Cargraphic RS Tuning packages will be very similar cost wise to Ruf (like for like hp). If they are being sold cheaper in the UK then I would check you are getting the real thing eg is the ECU from CG/RS what does the hammer say when the ECU is interrogated ?
    The Ruf package probably also includes LWFW and 890NM clutch + the warranty possibly may add 1000Euro or so....

Edit - make sure you are getting real RST software and not this stuff :

Thanks for the concern, but I think I am safe. Parr is selling me the CG powerkit, not their own offering. They are the only official CG dealer in the UK.

Prices in the UK break down like this:

CG Exhaust Pounds3,327.60
    CG ECU Pounds4,121.90
    CG Air filter Pounds150.40

Powerkit incl exhaust Pounds6,941.90

Powerkit *limited special offer* Pounds4,882.13

(all costs incl VAT)

The price of the equivalent Ruf conversion is Pounds9,847.15 incl VAT but excluding shipping to and from Germany,

No, I just checked with Cargraphic in Germany, and it IS Parr's own ECU remap on offer, not the RS-Tuning one.

I am furious with Parr given I have been asking a million questions about the CG remap so there could not have been any confusion

Need to calm down and decide what to do now

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Thanks for the concern, but I think I am safe. Parr is selling me the CG powerkit, not their own offering. They are the only official CG dealer in the UK.

CG ECU Pounds4,121.90

(all costs incl VAT)

The price of the equivalent Ruf conversion is Pounds9,847.15 incl VAT but excluding shipping to and from Germany,

That is an incredible discount from Parr - not sure how they can discount by that much on genuine CG stuff ....Does the Ruf include the LWFW and clutch ?

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

CG ECU Pounds4,121.90

(all costs incl VAT)

That is an incredible discount from Parr - not sure how they can discount by that much on genuine CG stuff ....Does the Ruf include the LWFW and clutch ?

Check the above post.

I am furious with Parr

How there could have been any confusion is totally beyond my understanding as I have been emailing them daily with questions on the CG re-map.

They took a very sizeable deposit so now I have to either get them to return it, or somehow to get them to give me the CG kit for the price they quoted me.

I am so angry, I have been waiting for nearly a month to have it fitted!

If I do get my money back I think I will get a Tubi, a BMC air-filter and an IPD Plenum instead. ie. no ECU remap.

When you first told us you were getting the CG work done by Parr I checked their web site and saw that they also do "a.n.other" tuner's software - probably Revo or DMS. The fact they even bothered with anyone elses software raised flags for me, I'm afraid most UK tuners are of the same mold since most customers will never actually measure their 100-200kph ! - glad you haven't been stitched up, the Ruf and RS stuff is expensive for a reason, the R&D time on very expensive engine dynos by highly paid professional engineers is not cheap - but I promise it will be worth it.....

OK - Parr have graciously offered to refund me my full deposit should I wish it.

They are also going to see if they can possibly knock down the standard CG Powerkit price after going away and having talks with CG themselves.

I will know later today what they can come up with. If it's a good enough deal I will stick with it, otherwise I will go the Tubi/Plenum route.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    OK - Parr have graciously offered to refund me my full deposit should I wish it.

They are also going to see if they can possibly knock down the standard CG Powerkit price after going away and having talks with CG themselves.

I will know later today what they can come up with. If it's a good enough deal I will stick with it, otherwise I will go the Tubi/Plenum route.

If you understood all the posts about the CG kit you would realise what real 800NM means and would not let a few PoundsPoundsPoundsPounds stand in the way of the associated Gs and grins....

Sounds like you may be happy with the tubi and IPD - credible "posting rights" on here for little PoundsPoundsPounds....

The price of the Ruf 550bhp package is 10,650 EUR (before vat or fitting) and the price of the CG 544bhp package is 8,495 EUR. With the Ruf kit you also get an upgraded clutch and exhaust tips.

The issue I have now paying full price for the CG kit is that the GBP<>EUR exchange rate is very poor right now, whereas the GBP<>USD rate is very good. That means Tubi and IPD parts are much better value than CG/Ruf parts.

The huge discount I *was* getting on the CG powerkit reduced this exchange rate difference to the point where I could compare prices equally. This is no longer the case. Now price is a big factor on choosing a direction to go, especially as Parr have now suggested I upgrade my clutch too (obviously their offering is not 800Nm torque!)

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Tubi and IPD parts are much better value than CG/Ruf parts.

I have found the ideal package for you - EVO Motorsports, you can take advantage of the Pounds/$ and get lots of shiny exhaust bits including headers and 600hp (for pub/forum bragging rights) for Pounds4500...(don't worry you won't need a clutch with this one )
    Just don't find yourself anywhere near a Ruf/CG 550hp car or you may get a shock

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690944 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410104 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858765 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775068 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM