Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thinking of Trading my 997 Turbo on a GT3. Nuts?

Ok so the dealer calls me and has a GT3. I drive it home and there is a huge difference in Road feel, Seat of the pants fun, sound, Clutch........

I have had my Turbo for 19 months. Am I nuts? Its Black on Black , Sports Chrono, Ceramics....HELP

Re: Thinking of Trading my 997 Turbo on a GT3. Nuts?

Hard to say but whatever makes you happy! I'm sure I would like the GT3 alot more in terms of driving sensation. But I love my turbo for what it is a 911 with steroids and not to mention 2 back seats, with my exhaust , springs , GT3 alignment and 996 GT3 seats it makes my car a whole new beast!

I think the turbo is a good compromise for a 911. The GT3 is more extreme but also alot less usable for everyday.

Pics in the Garage. Not Mine yet

Re: Pics in the Garage. Not Mine yet

You should only trade if the car will see more track action than road action, or you are outgrowing the performance of the turbo (impossible ! )

The Turbo is one of the best daily driver's in the world, the 4wd system, power delivery are second to none.

The GT3 will suffer ground clearance, harsh ride (maybe not anymore on 997) issues if used daily.

Rich,

I've driven the GT3 on a couple of occasions and all I can tell you is that you're definitely going to miss the warp drive effect but you're right, it's a much more capable car in terms of attacking the corners. Personally, I wouldn't do it but if it were a second car then I'd do it. By modifying the suspension like I did, I now have the handling characteristics of the GT3 (95% of it) coupled with the warp drive effect! I didn't help you now did I?

I noticed that this particular GT3 has the ceramics. How do you like the differences in how those feel compared to your steel rotors/brakes?

Yes, you are nuts. Remember when you first got your TT? Did you EVER have at least a flashing thought that all other Porsche road cars are underpowered? Put that recollection in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm convinced the burst of HP is what make Porsches endlessly fun to drive on streets since you can't max out corners and turns (to appreciate both cars differences) without getting a wreckless driving arrest.

Just trying to help (guessing you don't plan to track it frequently); might be a biiiig mistake!

Do it as the gt3 is a hot car but beware that when a TT kicks your butt you will not be happy

I say trade the 997S for GT3 but not the twin for GT3!!!!! Will be costly if you regret later Good luck either way. It's all fun.

@atomic80: Jason, have you detailed your GT3 handling changes to your TT in any thread here on Rennteam? I'd really appreciate reading that Cheers

I like the GT3 a lot but personally i wouldn't do it

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    @atomic80: Jason, have you detailed your GT3 handling changes to your TT in any thread here on Rennteam? I'd really appreciate reading that Cheers

I believe I did, did you ever see this thread?

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=401026&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

Sorry to highjack your thread, Rich. Back to the scheduled show now folks.

I had both, with the intention of selling the one that was less fulfilling to me. I sold the GT3. I don't live on the Route Napoleon or near the Tail of the Dragon so what I got on a daily basis with the Gt3 was a jarring ride. If you have very nice smooth twisting roads nearby or track a fair amount, I would suggest the Gt3. I too thought the grass might be greener but for me found it was not.

Sorry to be so blunt but I'm in a bad mood:

The "interpretive" paint job on the wheels seems awful.

Bottom pic is "correct."

Quote:
    MMD said:

Bottom pic is "correct."

ditto, they "forgot" to paint the inner lip .

This line is just hanging out like a sore thumb! Eliminating it would have been better. At least isolating just the spokes might seem more sensible. Still..., not great.

This is the Turbo forum populated by Turbo lovers. Ask this question on the rennlist GT3 forum to people who have moved from Turbos to GT3s and you will get a different answer.

Personally I am over Turbos unless they are the GT2 variety.

I suggest you answer the question for yourself. If the GT3 stirs your soul more than the Turbo, make the change.

Turbos are wonderful cars, but heavy and more GT cars than sports cars. The GT3 is the best of what Porsche does - a jewel of an engine, 8200 Redline, amazing steering feel, rarity, and most of all - complete purity. Turbos come and go, but the GT3 is the most engaging car money can buy. Period. Put the GT3 in your garage.

Intesting this Wheel came from Porshe this way.

GT3 is one of the best track cars in the world, but for daily use where the engine is not above 5000 rpm all the times, low end torque, power, and linear acceleration could be better. For daily usage, this is a high revving, high strung car with bone rattling suspension that is not necessarily "the best solution" for everyone. I would love to have one, but only for the weekends.

For road feel, seat of pants fun, etc., how about something lighter and arguably feel even more direct, like the Lotus Exige? What I mean is there is no best solution, you are going to gain something, and lose something every direction that you choose to go. There is a continuum and neither the Turbo nor the GT3 is the be all and end all of sport cars.

BTW, if/when I do buy the GT3 (next generation, hopefully with better low end power and PSM, to add to my Turbo), the first thing I would do is find a way to get rid of that Taco shape rear wing. I know I am in the minority here, well maybe MMD, and it's purely a matter of personal taste, but the GT3 rear wing is the most awkward looking of all 911's to my eyes. But I know, YMMV, some people love it, I think it's kinda ugly.

The way you asked the question, I think switching to GT3 is a good decision for you. Don't come back and tell us we didn't warn you are going to miss THE be-all and end-all explosive acceleration of the Turbo though .

P.S. The way they stop production of GT3 altogether, is it possible some significant change (more power plus wimpy PSM ??) is just around the corner? In other words, you are going to take a big hit trading in your Turbo anyway, why not wait and see the announcement? The car is produced in limited number, but it's no Scuderia, so what's the hurry?

If you get rid of the wing, you might unbalance the aerodynamics at high speed...

So, Rich, what have you decided to do?

Re: Thinking of Trading my 997 Turbo on a GT3. Nu

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:Am I nuts? Its Black on Black , Sports Chrono, Ceramics....HELP

Rich,

In a word yes! Every time I've seen you driving your car (3 times now) it has been in freeway traffic at slow speeds. If you must have a new car, try an Escalade on dubs with a full boogie sound/video system. It would be more relaxing to while away the hours on I-405/520.

Larry

I heard from a little bird with the initials BM that Rich has most likely decided to get the GT3.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Bottom pic is "correct."

I think this is meant to echo the FUCHS wheels

http://hcp.pca.org/Marketplace_Images/Outside1159640090.jpg

It's a done deal, its just so different than the TT. Very excited about it. I am nuts, but nuts is good when you have my job. I will take better pictures.

If going and for an change you should probably consider the whole picture and go for an GT3 RS

Just a comment, in this months Panorama I saw 3 or 4 997 GT3's for sale but not 1 single 997 TT for sale. I know there are a ton of TT's all over the net but finding a GT3 is not rare and some have suposidly never seen a track with low miles. My point is that if you pay the $$$ you can find nice used ones and they are holding their values quite well compared to the TT. Intercity lines or a flight to a nearby state is all that is needed to get one to your house. These are used cars and you want to stay away from the beaters (weekly track hounds). I think the Turbo does a lot of different things that the GT3 can't. The GT3 has no rear seats, less torque, and is not suited for pot hole ridden roads and steep driveways (neither is the turbo for that matter). Also I like all the leather goodies available for the TT. The GT3 is the car to have if pure sports car drivin and occasional weekend track days suits your fancy. Congrats on the new ride you seem to have made the right choice. I have never drven one but have owned a 997S and I think the GT3 is a step up from that car with more simularities than the TT would share. Lastly I like the body style of the TT with the wider hips. Your car should hold its value very nicely by the way (white is the no 1 for the GT3 exterior color choice but silver and black are still runner ups). Enjoy her in good health! Congrats! I am sure you will love the raw feel of of a rear wheel drive Porsche!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    GT3 is one of the best track cars in the world, but for daily use where the engine is not above 5000 rpm all the times, low end torque, power, and linear acceleration could be better. For daily usage, this is a high revving, high strung car with bone rattling suspension that is not necessarily "the best solution" for everyone. I would love to have one, but only for the weekends.

I gotta disagree... I havnt driven a 997 GT3 'properly' yet, but i owned a 996 MKII and it was my ONLY car during that period.
    Was it bad being a daily driver?? Hell No.
    Its far from being a luxurious, cosseting drive but its nowhere as bad as some may think.
    The power may be at the top end of the rev range but its still plenty powerfull down low. Driving it slow is no problem. Ride? Bone Jarring? No IMO. It doesnt glide like a Merc but its far from uncomfortable... The biggest thing for me was the fact that the steering is so sharp so you cant relax as much when driving fast. Another is that the wheels/steering tramlines quite alot, following road imperfections...
    Gotta say that GT3 can be used everyday and the newer version should be better in each and every regard

Quote:
    AUM said:
    This is the Turbo forum populated by Turbo lovers. Ask this question on the rennlist GT3 forum to people who have moved from Turbos to GT3s and you will get a different answer.

Exactly right

Quote:
    AUM said:
    I suggest you answer the question for yourself. If the GT3 stirs your soul more than the Turbo, make the change.

Simple but very wise advice

And I welcome your dissenting opinion. I still stand by my original assessment though, which is the GT3 is NOT NECESSARILY the best solution for EVEYONE. Meaning, the ride is perfect for you, but not for me; the torque is good enough for you, but not for me. The explosive acceleration of the Turbo is a "must have once in a lifetime" experience for me, but I won't feel bad if it means nothing to you.

If you post this question in the Lotus forum, I suspect there will more than one member asserting that the Exige is lighter, feels more direct, has arguably "better" engine placement choice and weight distribution, and is a "purer" sport car than the GT3. This is why I am having some difficulty scheming about my next car, GT3 vs. Lotus.

To me there is no perfect track AND road car, if you feel so about the GT3, I am happy for you.

Quote:
    BC911 said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    GT3 is one of the best track cars in the world, but for daily use where the engine is not above 5000 rpm all the times, low end torque, power, and linear acceleration could be betterI would love to have one, but only for the weekends.

I gotta disagree... I havnt driven a 997 GT3 'properly' yet, but i owned a 996 MKII and it was my ONLY car during that period.
    Was it bad being a daily driver?? Hell No.
    Its far from being a luxurious, cosseting drive but its nowhere as bad as some may think.
    The power may be at the top end of the rev range but its still plenty powerfull down low. Driving it slow is no problem. Ride? Bone Jarring? No IMO. It doesnt glide like a Merc but its far from uncomfortable... The biggest thing for me was the fact that the steering is so sharp so you cant relax as much when driving fast. Another is that the wheels/steering tramlines quite alot, following road imperfections...
    Gotta say that GT3 can be used everyday and the newer version should be better in each and every regard

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782206 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442932 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86035 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6040 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881720 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819945 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM