Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Registering a new 997 in California

Hi All,

I am in LA and bought a brand new 997S from Pennsylvania.
    I paid all the tax and title of California to the dealership and they said they will handle everything.
    After the car arrived, they said I need to do smog and vin verification suddenly. They asked me to go to a Police station to do it. What the?:cy
    Anyone here have any experience to buy a new car from out of state and what do you need to do to help them to have your car to get register correctly in California?
    Help please

Re: Registering a new 997 in California

Google is your friend - http://search.dmv.org/dmv/california/vin%20verification%20form

I read that.
    But what they are telling me is not the same as the web site is telling me.
    I talked to them, and they said you have to follow my instruction .....
    And I talked to DMV, they told me to pay the tax again and get the car register there......

And I brought the car to a smog station, they asked for a paperwork from DMV to do their job, but I have none.
    So the DMV asked me to do different things of what the dealership asked me to do.
    So what to do? that sucks.
    And I told what is going on and they said they didn't know anything. They said they are using a 3rd party to help them to get this done. Make me look like an [beep] to get to a police station, stand there for 30 min waiting on line and they tell me I should go to the DMV.
    And then the DMV asked me to pay all the taxes and titles again.

I guess you have to find out whether they indeed did the reg. for you already. I don't think a out of state dealer can do the registration for. I think that is the first step to check. If they did, ask them to forward you the paperwork that you can talk to DMV with. Good Luck.

If you bought the car from an authorized porsche dealer they should handle everything.

I've bought vehicles from out of state before but not California. It sounds like the selling dealer (in Pennsylvania)collected the appropriate CA taxes - did you pay cash or finance? Your best bet is to go to DMV with your paperwork (bill of sale, etc.) and let DMV tell you what you need. You can get VIN verifications at CHP stations but I don't think they are the only place to do it. DMV will tell you what you need. Here's the FAQ from one of the sites:

How do I register my vehicle in California?
    If your vehicle has never been registered here, you'll need to make an appointment at your local Department of Motor Vehicles office. There, you'll need to:

Fill out an Application for Title or Registration.
    Give the DMV your out-of-state title and registration.
    Present a California smog certificate and a mileage certification.
    Allow your vehicle's VIN to be verified.
    Pay all applicable fees.

What you should of done is not paid taxes to the dealership. you should of purchased the car and just registered it here in CA. you would need to go get a smog, you don't need paperwork. they just do it and input the vin# in the ca's dmv system. then you go to the dmv with the mco/certificate of origin from the dealership. they will walk outside and check, vin#/federal safety sticker and 50 state emissions sticker. Voila! See if you get your money back from the dealership and do it yourself.

I bought a motorcycle off EBAY from out of state. I went to AutoClub to register it. I did have to bring the motorcycle to AutoClub because a VIN verification was required but AutoClub did it. This is a street legal motorcycle I am talking about.

Thank you
    Yes, surely authorized Porsche Dealer....
    When I buy the car, yes, they said they will handle everything.
    But now, I have to go smog check, vin verification ....etc.
    And DMV won't do it.
    I already paid them everything.
    I read through DMV website already, but doesn't matter what the web said, the local DMV won't follow. Well, typical DMV attitude.
    Now I am stucked in the middle.
    Brandywine Porsche told me they would do the registration themselves but will consult a 3rd party company. Now, they said everything is handled by that company. And they admit they do not know what they are doing; they are just telling me what that company told them to do. huh?!

Like what tkids said, see if you can have the selling dealer to refund the reg. fee & sale tax and get it done yourself. That will be the best way.

I paid cash with all the taxes and titles.
    But I can't go register it "again". Because I already paid for all the fees.
    And they said they sent all the money their "3rd party" company already.

Mirror Upgrade

Would anyone know if the Mirror on a 997-Turbo will fit a 996-Turbo. I was informed not..?

Thanks

Quote:
    CS said:
    I paid cash with all the taxes and titles.
    But I can't go register it "again". Because I already paid for all the fees.
    And they said they sent all the money their "3rd party" company already.

That is their problem. If you can't reg. the car, they should refund that portion so you can get it done yourself. If you can't get if reg., you should insist for the refund. Good luck.

I also live in California and bought a new Cayenne from an IL Porsche dealer. After the temporary IL license expired I went to the DMV with all my paperwork. Most states have agreements to collect sales tax in the correct amount for the ultimate destination state of the car. In my situation the dealer collected CA sales tax, but nothing towards the title. When I got to the DMV their employee checked the VIN and checked under the hood for 50 state/California emissions sticker. They then asked me to go get a smog test. I could have done that before hand, but I wasn't aware it was required. After I got the smog certificate I went back to the DMV and paid the regular licensing fees. They handled me my plates and registration and I was all done. If I already had the smog certificate it would have taken me about an hour.

Phil

Phil,

Thank you. so your carfax record show your car 1st register in CA or IL?
    And you did not pay the sales tax to the dealership.
    For me, the DMV won't do that for me because I am not registering the car with them. They do not know what to do with me. I think I might need to get all the taxes and titles back from Brandywine and do what you did.

If you don't finance the car, most dealers on out of state transactions give you the option of paying the dealer the appropriate California taxes or not. I always choose to pay the taxes directly to the state at the time I show up at DMV to get the car titled and registered. Also, if you paid cash you should have gotten the vehicle MSO ("birth certificate" / title) when you took delivery - they got your cash but you didn't get any proof of ownership - never give up the cash without the MSO or other evidence of ownership. Brandywine's a big dealer and I bet they do a lot of out of state sales - they should be able to figure this out for you.

No, they are ....haha
    They have no experience at all and they did not give me the MSO
    Nothing.
    Now, they can't figure it out.

Quote:
    CS said:
    Phil,

For me, the DMV won't do that for me because I am not registering the car with them. They do not know what to do with me. I think I might need to get all the taxes and titles back from Brandywine and do what you did.

My car was never registered in IL. It was registered for the first time when I took it to the DMV in California. I did have a sales contract from the dealer in IL that specifically showed that they had collected CA sales tax from me. Since I paid cash for the car I also had the title from PCNA.

I don't understand your statement "the DMV won't do that for me because I am not registering the car with them." Since the title of this thread is "Registering a new 997 in California" I assuming you were trying to register your car with the DMV. Please explain exactly what you are trying to do.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    CS said:
    Phil,

My car was never registered in IL. It was registered for the first time when I took it to the DMV in California. I did have a sales contract from the dealer in IL that specifically showed that they had collected CA sales tax from me. Since I paid cash for the car I also had the title from PCNA.

I don't understand your statement "the DMV won't do that for me because I am not registering the car with them." Since the title of this thread is "Registering a new 997 in California" I assuming you were trying to register your car with the DMV. Please explain exactly what you are trying to do.

Phil

We're trying to help you CS but we're confused. Sounds like Brandywine has your money and you have the car so who has the title? What paperwork do you have from the dealer - bill of sale? The DMV is the Califonia department that will register and title your car in California even though you may have to go somewhere else for smog and VIN.

I only have the sales order from the dealer.
    I understand the DMV will do it, but I already paid the dealership everything. Originally, they should have taken care of everything.
    But now, they come back to me and ask me to do smog check and vin verification through DMV. But DMV won't do it for me because "I" am not registering the car with them, the dealership is. So DMV cannot complete the procedure because I am not paying the tax at this moment.
    Yea, it is confusing..... and painful.

Quote:
    CS said:
    I only have the sales order from the dealer.
    I understand the DMV will do it, but I already paid the dealership everything. Originally, they should have taken care of everything.
    But now, they come back to me and ask me to do smog check and vin verification through DMV. But DMV won't do it for me because "I" am not registering the car with them, the dealership is. So DMV cannot complete the procedure because I am not paying the tax at this moment.
    Yea, it is confusing..... and painful.

You probably have already seen this information. Looks like you're going to have to take the initative on this since you're in Califonia and the dealer is not. Here's the checklist that DMV provides for registering a vehicle from out of state. Good luck. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/outofstate.htm

thank you so much Jeff
    I just don't want to drive my 997S cab on the road illegally..
    I think this is also the price to pay for a huge discount to buy it out of state.

I just purchased my second Porsche from a Washington dealer and registered the car in CA. I will reiterate what others have said: get your CA sales taxes refunded to you, obtain the MSO, get a smog check and then go the DMV. A pain in the ass, I know, but you will save yourself a lot of angst if you do the whole process yourself. This should be 4 hours of your time, all in.

Dick

HI Phil and tkids,

Both of your cars are bought brand new? Why need to do a smog?
    DMV said you have to do it?
    because if the car has a 50 states emission sticker, you should not have to do it.

Quote:
    CS said:
    HI Phil and tkids,

Both of your cars are bought brand new? Why need to do a smog?
    DMV said you have to do it?
    because if the car has a 50 states emission sticker, you should not have to do it.

If the car was bought out of state, smog check is required - same in Colorado...even with 50 states emission.

the reason I was given is this for the smog. Ca's dmv has no juristiction over out of state dealerships and therefore you need to prove to them that the car has not been modified to make it not meet ca spec.

dmv is up and up on that fact. i have purchased two new cars out of state and a few used.

I think you should try just going to a local smog place and tell them to smog it. they don't need any paperwork to do it!!! they will just electronically foward the info to the dmv and give you a certificate.

then try again to go to the police/sheriff to have them do a vin verification. talk them into it!!! (not sure about this) dmv has always done this for me.

I have learned that dealerships don't know anything about anything regarding registration. The clowns I bought the car from tried charging me tax on the euro delivery 10k refundable deposit!!!

2nd option: I would try to get a refund from the dealership and then register it yourself, by far the easiest. plus when you register it they ask you what the car is worth/not what you paid for it!!! since the car has depreciated since you purchased it and put on so many miles it is probably worth 5k less than what you paid for it

Just to clarify, I paid nothing to the dealership, just got a temp tag and took off, of course they did hold my 10k euro deposit hostage.

... and they say everything is easier in USA than in "old" Europe

californian rennteam friends

Carlos

Quote:
    CarlosF said:
    ... and they say everything is easier in USA than in "old" Europe

californian rennteam friends

Carlos

Now you understand why having the federal government run our health care would be a bad mistake? We can't even get our state government to process a car registration efficiently.

It would be a lot easier if there was no state government in the loop.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM