Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Does the facelifted 997 appear at Geneva ?

Hello my friends.
    Interesting question . I will be grateful if someone can really answer this one :
    Do u think it is planned to present the 997 facelift in Geneva ??
    One dealer told me it is sure not. BUT is it really possible to sell a car in June July, and then not presenting the model in a motorshow before ??
    Please tell me he is wrong ..... or give us your latest info
    Thanks in advance

Re: Does the facelifted 997 appear at Geneva ?

Several Porsche OPCs here in the UK are still talking about April but whether that's orders or deliveries I'm not sure. They're also playing down any big power hikes from the DFI, claiming its all about emissions/fuel economy and acceleration will be improved from PDK.

very interesting thread, I would also appreciate if anyone can share some "important" information, or tip

I dont think so. Possibly at a later auto show in the year, closer to the fall.

+1

The facelifted 997 is not going to be presented in Geneva.

Geneva 2006 , 997 turbo and 997 GT3 !!

You need to add an "I've heard so many conflicting reports that I have no sodding idea" option - which, by the way, would probably get most of the votes...

MY UNDERWEAR IS ON FIRE!!!

Does it make one bit of difference either way? If it's that important wait and see, or buy used and sleep easy. That is until the next crisis comes along, like should I order illuminated sill guards or not, or what should I do if it rains while I'm driving my car?

Not worrying has got to be a lot better than getting so excited that you set your underwear on fire...

Re: MY UNDERWEAR IS ON FIRE!!!

Well, there has been a press release about what porsche is going to show at the geneva auto show:
    Quote:
    Porsche reveals technologies of the future and environmentally friendly race car

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG of Stuttgart, Germany, has plans at this year's Geneva Auto Salon to show off an environmentally friendly and fuel-efficient range of automobiles. The show, staged this year between March 6 and March 16, is traditionally used to reveal the most significant trends for the automobile season ahead.

On the Porsche stand the automobiles on display will range from a prototype of the future version of the extra efficient Cayenne Hybrid through to the Porsche RS Spyder. This, the most successful race car in the American Le Mans Series, achieved its eight overall victories in 2007 using the environmentally friendly E 10 fuel, containing a mixture of 10 per cent by volume bioethanol. What's more, all second generation Cayenne models are powered by new specially fuel-efficient engines with gasoline direct injection. And these engines use up to 15 per cent less fuel.

In the sports car sector Porsche is using the Geneva Auto Salon to reinforce with the new Boxster RS 60 Spyder which has its Swiss trade fair premiere, and the 911 Turbo Cabriolet and the 911 GT2 Porsche's decades-long experience in constructing light, efficient and therefore also fuel-efficient automobiles. Even under today's more exacting environmental constraints, the optimal power to weight ratio of these automobiles (the relationship between the weight of the car and its performance) ensures ultimate driving dynamics coupled with the ultimate driving pleasure.

No word about 911 facelift, but I thought they were going to introduce direct fuel injection with the facelift, weren't they? That has to do with fuel economy, so it might still happen!
    -Joost-

Guys, relax. The facelift is coming, official announcement apparently has been delayed due to dealer demand(the 997 sells pretty well right now in Germany!).
    First cars to get the facelift are the Carrera 2 models, direct fuel injection is introduced, surprisingly very likely with a lower engine capacity. Horse power is rumoured to go up by around 30-40 HP, depending on the model. The Carrera 4 models are following a bit later, the 997 Turbo and GT2 very likely 2009.

Hope this helps. Facelift IS coming, this is all I heard.

Ahhhhhhhh - that sounds interesting - partic the lower capacity engine rumour thingy and "10-15 percent fuel savings" - wow.

No, no I'm calm - I just happen to be travelling through Switzerland that week - hmmmmmmm.

(Calm, calm...). Thanks for sharing the info RC - sounds like you've come up with the goods again.

So, d'you think I should save up for a GT3 this time?

Cheers, SoS.

"Lower engine capacity?"

That's an interesting tip, because a dealer I spoke with mentioned the same thing, and I really didn't get that statement.

After asking more questions, this is what I got out of him: 3.6 Liter, shared engine parts with the Cayenne engine, lighter in weight, and (this one was the kicker) different (wet-sump) engine block!

I didn't believe him, but he mentioned that focus of the new car is that it produces less emissions, while being lighter and more powerful.

Sorry to add to the rumor mill, and if these statements are inaccurate, but its what I heard.

Quote:
    chuckd said:
    and (this one was the kicker) different (wet-sump) engine block!

That fits perfectly to the rumors about future TT sharing the engine block with the N/A variants.

interesting that they can share parts between cayenne/panamera/911/boxster engines, guess its not a "bad" thing; except that they also share with VW as an exec said late last year...I wonder how this will translate to the motorsport cars, and I guess the whole "green" thing is making Porsche downsize engines...

So if I'm hearing this correctly: new 3.6L engine block for both the base Carrera and Carrera S (and potentially the facelifted Turbo). All models will have the same displacement, but different horsepower.

Hmmm.... this is strikingly similar to the current Cayenne S, GTS, and Turbo in where the S has 385hp, GTS 405hp, and Turbo 500hp, yet all share the same 4.8L engine.

I guess if we look at it that way, it sounds credible.

Damn that Porsche marketing! They're going to milk the customers as much as possible. I'm happy that the Carrera S will get more power, but if it's the same displacement, why bother releasing the less powerful version to us?! They should give us both a Direct Injection plus increase in displacement!

New engines?

All manufacturers are doing this "same engine various outputs" trick. Check the cubic capacity of the various engines from BMW, M-B and Audi/VW and you will see this new trend. It is a bit backward to lament the possible loss of the 3600cc engine, because supposedly it is the only engine suitable for the GT models and because it won Le Mans very long ago in 1998. Companies like BMW and Mercedes come up with totally new engines every 2-3 years and they are always on top of their game. Tradition is one thing stagnation is another.

Re: New engines?

At some point we're likely to see specific output rise but it maybe based on low pressure turbo-charging as seen on some BMW's. No reason why you can't have a 2.4 liter engine and well over 300hp along with 30+ mpg.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    At some point we're likely to see specific output rise but it maybe based on low pressure turbo-charging as seen on some BMW's. No reason why you can't have a 2.4 liter engine and well over 300hp along with 30+ mpg.

Heck, F1 cars get 750hp from 2.4L without even using turbos or superchargers. I don't think they get 30+mpg though

Quote:
    Heck, F1 cars get 750hp from 2.4L without even using turbos or superchargers. I don't think they get 30+mpg though

And they cost as much as a 997 each, and last no more than about 600 miles before they need a rebuild...and they measure consumption as gallons/mile (make that liters/kilometer). Other than I would be happy with 750hp.

So I guess this clears up those two "mystery engine" incidents:

-new 3.6L engine "supposedly" for a future, more powerful Cayman model, spotted by several Rennteamers during a factory visit
    -Techart steals Porsche "engine of the future"

Quote:
    RC said:
    Guys, relax. The facelift is coming, official announcement apparently has been delayed due to dealer demand(the 997 sells pretty well right now in Germany!).
    First cars to get the facelift are the Carrera 2 models, direct fuel injection is introduced, surprisingly very likely with a lower engine capacity. Horse power is rumoured to go up by around 30-40 HP, depending on the model. The Carrera 4 models are following a bit later, the 997 Turbo and GT2 very likely 2009.

Hope this helps. Facelift IS coming, this is all I heard.

And the PDK, RC? For god sakes what about the PDK!!??

Quote:
    palenimbus said:

PDK is coming too...soon. Still not clear which model gets it first, it may be the Cayman/Boxster facelift.

Sorry guys, I have little time right now for Porsche stuff and a lot of work(need more money ) but as soon as I find out more, I'll post it. I wish I could keep you up with details on a more regular basis but like I said...kids need to eat.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    palenimbus said:

PDK is coming too...soon. Still not clear which model gets it first, it may be the Cayman/Boxster facelift.

Sorry guys, I have little time right now for Porsche stuff and a lot of work(need more money ) but as soon as I find out more, I'll post it. I wish I could keep you up with details on a more regular basis but like I said...kids need to eat.

Now there's a possibility that most didn't consider - using the Boxster/Cayman platform as the first PDK sales... presumably to de-bug it with less power... and less demanding customers? I did not get the impression the B/C owners were petitioning for this gearbox though - mostly the 997 owners.

More HP is one thing, but what about torque? I thought the biggest improvement of the 3.8l engine was low rpm torque...

When the TT gets PDK, I might just be tempted

Auto Motor Sport magazine

This week they came up with the following info:
    Facelift front and rear bumpers and rear LED lights
    DSG 7 speed developed with ZF
    350 HP and 380 for the S model. No mention of engine sizes.
    September debut.
    They usually know.
    I expect April/May announcement.

Re: Auto Motor Sport magazine

i wonder if the power kit will be immedately available for the facelifted..?? or.. will there be one???

380hp + powerkit = 400?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    When the TT gets PDK, I might just be tempted

me too

but no one knows here http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=421824&an=0&page=0#421824

Re: Auto Motor Sport magazine

i was just thisnking the same thing!! 380-385 hp plus powerkit sounds sweet (400-ish). Would it be to close power levels of the gt3???

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690456 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255991 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858390 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774663 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM