Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Autocar video: Nissan GT-R vs 911 GT3 vs M3

Here's more fuel for the fire, no "oversteering/powersliding the 911" excuses in this video

Very nice and thorough test by Chris Harris

Part 1: http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=231443&CT=V

Part 2:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=231444&CT=V

Re: Autocar video: Nissan GT-R vs 911 GT3 vs M3

Awesome Temm! Where are all the doubters now? Kreso? Crash? If I remember correctly you guys didn't have much good things to say about the GTR. What about now?

As i perfonally found bringing my old M3 to the track: the brakes are absolutely crap. They are the first thing the bimmer engineers need to address if the want a nice car.
    And...another time: Chapeau to Nissan

Bimmer engineers must have admitted that the M3 brakes are lousy, because on the 135i, they have used a Brembo 6 pot front/ 2 pots rear brakes.

I think that most of the problems with the M3 are related to the weight of the car and to the fact that there is absolutely no porper study about brake cooling.
    The 135i is lighter and maybe a bit better but believe me: if you do not study correctly the brake cooling you can have the disks+pads+brake pumps you want but you will still have evaporation in the brake cooling circuit and so the steam inside the tube will give you a loose pedal.

my two cents

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Awesome Temm! Where are all the doubters now? Kreso? Crash? If I remember correctly you guys didn't have much good things to say about the GTR. What about now?

First of all German Sport Auto already drove test mule of GT-R and achived 7.50min on the Ring. I write an report about some Nissan stuff activities here few weeks ago... So, much faster then 997 Turbo it is not...
    Second, in straight line 997 Turbo is little bit faster as you will see when first European test surface in Autumn 2008...
    Third, GT-R is IMHO ugly as hell. It is George W. Bush dressed as a tranny, at least GT-R looks that way to me. No class at all in that car.
    Fourth, it is excellent car but, look up regarding looks...

Thanks Temm, enjoy Chris Harris immensely.

What can I say, that was better IMO. The GT-R is a belter of a car, annoying that it's stuffed Porsche, but hey, competition is good. I suppose I've got to say this not as a cop out as CH put it, but if I had to choose between the two and I could afford the GT3, then the GT3 would be my choice. But I'll be first on the bandwagon when a 440 bhp GT3 arrives with possibly PDK, but only if it beats the GT-R. Congtats to Nissan for a great car...

Yes exactly, I wouldn't buy one but at nearly half the price of a 997 Turbo it sticks up a HUGE banner to Porsche that says "you've been resting on your laurels too long!".

I think Porsche need to stop spending all their time trying to buy VW and concentrate on making their cars better. And if they are going to continue to charge a huge premium then they need to add some exclusivity to the mix. You don't see the GT-R being compared to an F430 or a Gallardo do you?!

Quote:
    temm said:
    Here's more fuel for the fire, no "oversteering/powersliding the 911" excuses in this video

Very nice and thorough test by Chris Harris

Part 1: http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=231443&CT=V

Part 2:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=231444&CT=V

what was the track time for the TT at that track with that same driver? I can't find it anywhere.

very cool clips . thanks temm .

The GT-R does the business.

Nissan will like the results but be quite unhappy at Harris... he must have called it a Skyline 200 times despite the worldwide decision by Nissan that this car is being branded a Nissan GT-R (no Skyline name).

But Harris puts his finger on the "feel" differences between the GT-3 and the GT-R very well. My conclusion now (subject to many future changes of mind ) is that I don't like the idea of cars as heavy as the GT-R no matter what their performance numbers are - the lightness of the GT-3 is part of its appeal.

Which makes me wonder: what could Porsche do if they produced a "GT-4" - a lightweight performance variant of their turbo platform? Sort of a GT-3 with a lighter version of AWD, and losing most of the pieces of luxury that add weight to the 911TT?

This guys claims without hesitation that the Godzila is faster than the 997TT and then he says but is it quicker than the GT3? On a straight line there is no question that the TT will eat the Gt3 and almost the same as the GTR, it's the track where the GTR shines. Where GTR shines is that almost any driver can launch it form dead stop and kick ass while you better know what you are doing if driving the P-car.

Kreso, so you are saying that this is a fast car, just ugly? I on the other hand thinks it looks nice. But I am not convinced that I should buy one though...

excellent review, the GT3 sounded fantastic, probably the best engine note of the 3.

The GT-R is a great buy. It's like a front engined R8 but cheaper and faster.

you're dreaming.. GT-R will never turn heads like R8 it will be a fast nissan only

Quote:
    996AD said:
    you're dreaming.. GT-R will never turn heads like R8 it will be a fast nissan only

now now, lets not get carried away

nissan made a great car but unfortunately its ugly.

as for turning heads: Depending on the volume, and it's silloutete similarity to other nissan models, it may...

a car does not have to be expensive or pretty to turn heads, rarity/colour/shape often dictate that.

a bright coloured lotus elise, ariel atom ,or one of those three wheeled motorcycle cars with straight pipes make EVERYONE look here in jaded NYC. a Porsche does not even bat an eye.

Well the only fact we are talking about it as a new phenomenon means that also people will slowly by slowly start learning that a nissan is able to put back porsche's ferrari's and so.

i will never buy one, it's sure but this doesn't mean other wont.

Granted, you do get what you pay for. With that said, beauty is definately in the eye of the beholder. I think the GT-R has some great lines, very edgy and masculine. The GT-R is a big car, but it does look far better in person. I am not fond of the front end, but it is okay. I am also not so fond of the 997's front end, nor the R8's extended and busy look. Aside from the fact that the R8 has a better interior and build quality, I I do not think that it is heads and shoulders above the GT-R visually. And, it certainly lags far behind in performance. I know, extreme performance is not everything, but at the R8's price point, it should be better.

Not to offend any R8 owners, but I really do not get this car. Too much money for not enough horsepower. I would rather buy a C2S, save $25K and go just as fast.

This is something I came across in another board. A GT3 owner drives a GT-R and provides pictures. It wasn't the most descriptive thing I read, not everyone is a journalist. The pictures shows the shear size difference between both vehicles, which shows the polar extremes they are in the visual sense. Read it here.

Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    This is something I came across in another board. A GT3 owner drives a GT-R and provides pictures. It wasn't the most descriptive thing I read, not everyone is a journalist. The pictures shows the shear size difference between both vehicles, which shows the polar extremes they are in the visual sense. Read it here.

I saw that and thought the GT-R looked nice. This does show how big the car is, but that is okay. The GT3 speaks for itself, of course. I thought that it was a fairly comprehensive review. The GT-R is very fast! I am looking forward to driving it very soon.

This is what the GT-R owner said about both cars on the second page of that thread:

Rather than write a massive review you just need to look at the cheesy grin on my face to see i also loved the GT3. I was impressed it was superior to the R8 and 911 i drove but don't think i could own one, as im way too jdm.

Seeing them both together and having driven both helps you look beyond the new rivary bigged up by fan boys and journo's. They are both the greatest driver cars on the planet at the moment and both have there own unique qualities. I prefered the weight, cage and size of the GT3 but the power, box and drive of the GT-R.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    996AD said:

as for turning heads: Depending on the volume, and it's silloutete similarity to other nissan models, it may...

a car does not have to be expensive or pretty to turn heads, rarity/colour/shape often dictate that.

a bright coloured lotus elise, ariel atom ,or one of those three wheeled motorcycle cars with straight pipes make EVERYONE look here in jaded NYC. a Porsche does not even bat an eye.

I agree and I also think car enthusiasts like us will turn our heads quickly when the GTR is present, why? Because we respect it's performance. Now an average person who knows anything about cars will look at the GTR and say this must be a new addition to the Nissan line of cars and wow look at the Porsche

Quote:
    edz said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    996AD said:

I agree and I also think car enthusiasts like us will turn our heads quickly when the GTR is present, why? Because we respect it's performance. Now an average person who knows anything about cars will look at the GTR and say this must be a new addition to the Nissan line of cars and wow look at the Porsche

I agree. The GTR will be a car I will notice and respect when I see one on the road. As far as looks are concerned, however, I'll take the 997.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    edz said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    996AD said:

I agree. The GTR will be a car I will notice and respect when I see one on the road. As far as looks are concerned, however, I'll take the 997.

Same for me but i will go for the 997GT3 in case i need to choose in between both

that gtr is about 520bhp by using 102 bp ultimate!what a way to cheat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkaJUqoPV7o

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM