Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Macan Facelift 2018?

Who doesn't love Lightning McQueen? indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

505hp Stelvio is coming... 440hp Macan turbo with performance package won’t do it for much longer.

510HP and already available. Quite cool, I'm tempted .

IMG_0680.jpg

I am sorely tempted by a Stelvio Quadrifoglio as I am highly impressed by the 280 BHP 2.0 petrol model I bought recently. I shall try and resist the upgrade as the model I've bought is great to drive and I got an extremely good deal on it. Videos like this make it hard though -

I looked at the 280 as well. Problem you cannot spec it as cool as the Quadrifoglio. I test drove the Quadrifoglio on summer tires at temperatures near freezing, so cannot tell much about performance. What impressed me how comfortable and relaxed it is to drive in traffic. It's also kind of understated for 90% of the people. They just see a mid-sized Alfa crossover/SUV. 

ISUK:

I am sorely tempted by a Stelvio Quadrifoglio as I am highly impressed by the 280 BHP 2.0 petrol model I bought recently. I shall try and resist the upgrade as the model I've bought is great to drive and I got an extremely good deal on it. Videos like this make it hard though -

I’m impressed / surprised you managed to watch a video with this slimy buffoon in it.

I tried to ignore him and fast forwarded through quite a bit of it.

993Targa:

I looked at the 280 as well. Problem you cannot spec it as cool as the Quadrifoglio. I test drove the Quadrifoglio on summer tires at temperatures near freezing, so cannot tell much about performance. What impressed me how comfortable and relaxed it is to drive in traffic. It's also kind of understated for 90% of the people. They just see a mid-sized Alfa crossover/SUV. 

There are a number of new options for the Stelvio that have just been released including leather dash and door cappings, dynamic suspension, Apple Car Play etc. There is a Sport Pack in some European markets that brings a satin platinum type finish to elements of the exterior trim and wheels. You can create a Quadrifoglio look by painting the lower plastic trim and wheel arches as this Italian owner has done. It would look better on a car with the gloss black window surround trim though. The genuine Quadrifoglio wheels are available after market as well.

Marzio 1.JPGMarzio 2.JPG

crayphile:
    ISUK:

I’m impressed / surprised you managed to watch a video with this slimy buffoon in it.

lol, you brit have a very unique vocabulary,love it SmileySmileySmiley

crayphile:

I think he makes ok videos. Am I missing something? Smiley

ISUK:
    993Targa:

There are a number of new options for the Stelvio that have just been released including leather dash and door cappings, dynamic suspension, Apple Car Play etc. There is a Sport Pack in some European markets that brings a satin platinum type finish to elements of the exterior trim and wheels. You can create a Quadrifoglio look by painting the lower plastic trim and wheel arches as this Italian owner has done. It would look better on a car with the gloss black window surround trim though. The genuine Quadrifoglio wheels are available after market as well.

True, but if you add all the options the price difference with the real deal and the extra 200+ HP is not that big anymore.

Not in the UK. The top spec 280 has most options as standard here. The only additional options on mine are the pano roof, power socket in the trunk and space saver spare wheel.  I wouldn't bother with the adaptive suspension as the standard passive set up is very well tuned. I got a fantastic deal on my car and although the Quadrifoglio price has yet to be announced for our market I suspect it will almost certainly be around 40% + more than I paid. To get the same spec and performance from Porsche I'd have needed to get a Macan GTS and that would have been around £22k GBP more which is frankly crazy. Having had a Macan turbo a few years ago there is no way a GTS version is worth that amount more. The Alfa also has more interior space than the Macan.

I think Alfa will launch a mild hybrid version of the Stelvio later this year with around 350 BHP as there is a version of that powertrain under development for the Giulia saloon. If the story in Autocar this week is to be believed they may also be looking to add the hybrid tech to the V6 engine in the Quadrifoglio in a new 2 door coupe.

Guilia Sprint Coupe0004.jpg

Wonderful to see Alfa come out of the quagmire after so many years and produce great cars again. In my younger days I was a proper “Alfisti” - two Alfasuds, Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5, GTV, GTV6 (the proper transaxle ones) and finally when I had a young family an 164 3.0V6 Lusso. 

And note to Porsche and others - it is possible to produce great sounding turbo engines! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

993Targa:

510HP and already available. Quite cool, I'm tempted .

IMG_0680.jpg

Don't be tempted...sounds like a generic V6 Biturbo and it is an Alfa...quality at it's best. Smiley Smiley

The GLC63 S AMG is the better choice in my opinion but tastes are different.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Just not a Mercedes kind of guy. But yes the Alfa quality is a question mark. Luckily the dealer is close by indecision

993Targa:

Just not a Mercedes kind of guy. But yes the Alfa quality is a question mark. Luckily the dealer is close by indecision

I won't forget what the owner of an Alfa Romeo dealership told me when I once wanted to switch from a BMW 323i to an Alfa Romeo Spider many many years ago (just had an itch for a few weeks, don't know why): "Why the heck would you exchange that amazing BMW with an Alfa Romeo?". Smiley Seriously. It wasn't about the value of that BMW, it was pretty new and demand was high at that time (one of the most beloved "affordable" fast cars at that time).

I also drove various Lancia cars over a couple of years, was even part of a Lancia Rallye team here (AM Motorsport), met with their traveling engineer for consultations, etc., worst quality ever encountered. Smiley Again funny: The parts (hardware) they were using was actually top notch (like for example that Magneti Marelli engine control unit, which was considered to be one of the best and most innovative ones at that time, amazing possibilities to program/control) but the top notch parts didn't seem to work together very well. Smiley Smiley

--

I’ve owned six Alfa’s, the latter ones i’ve driven all over Europe, had issues, all minor, but if I added all the problems up of all six Alfa’s they would be less in number - or consequence - than the troubles i’ve had to put up with in my current Volvo. I never had any Alfa taken away broken and undriveable, this happened three times with the V40 Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

RC,

You are relating to experiences of Italian cars that are from over 20 years ago by the sounds of things. The world has moved on a lot since then

The current offerings from  Alfa are simply in a different league to the cars they built in the 80's. I've owned many Italian cars and not faced any more hassle or reliability issues with them than any other brand in all honesty. I had a Mito 1.4 turbo as a run around for 2 years that I had no issues with. I ran a GTV 2.0 T Spark for around 30k miles back in 98 and had zero faults with that either outside of routine servicing. My Panda 4x4 has racked up 25k fault free miles in all weathers in the last 2.5 years and been one of the best and cheapest cars to run I've ever owned.

Alfa now have some very talented engineers - Phillipe Krief and Roberto Fedeli for example - and are making significant headway. THe company's biggest challenge is to overcome perceptions like yours and they are doing this by repeatedly winning press awards for the Giulia Quadrifoglio and Veloce models. It is a long uphill road for them and they don't have the sort of funding they'd undoubtedly like to release new product every year but they are off to a promising start. I've seen nothing but praise heaped on the Giulia Quadrifoglio by owners who have switched to Alfa for the first time and have come out of AMG and BMW M products in the process. Even the patchy and some times sub standard dealer network is not affecting their enjoyment of the Alfa and most seem to say they are once again enjoying driving just for the sake of it which speaks volumes about how Alfa's engineers have hit the mark with this car. I expect the Stelvio Quadrifoglio will only bolster this change in perception as more buyers switch out of other brands to try it.

ISUK:

RC,

You are relating to experiences of Italian cars that are from over 20 years ago by the sounds of things. The world has moved on a lot since then

I know, especially Ferrari has improved a lot but Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati and Fiat? Not really. Smiley

The current offerings from  Alfa are simply in a different league to the cars they built in the 80's. I've owned many Italian cars and not faced any more hassle or reliability issues with them than any other brand in all honesty. I had a Mito 1.4 turbo as a run around for 2 years that I had no issues with. I ran a GTV 2.0 T Spark for around 30k miles back in 98 and had zero faults with that either outside of routine servicing. My Panda 4x4 has racked up 25k fault free miles in all weathers in the last 2.5 years and been one of the best and cheapest cars to run I've ever owned.

Different league? Yes. In the 2018 league? I doubt it. Smiley

Alfa now have some very talented engineers - Phillipe Krief and Roberto Fedeli for example - and are making significant headway. THe company's biggest challenge is to overcome perceptions like yours and they are doing this by repeatedly winning press awards for the Giulia Quadrifoglio and Veloce models. It is a long uphill road for them and they don't have the sort of funding they'd undoubtedly like to release new product every year but they are off to a promising start. I've seen nothing but praise heaped on the Giulia Quadrifoglio by owners who have switched to Alfa for the first time and have come out of AMG and BMW M products in the process. Even the patchy and some times sub standard dealer network is not affecting their enjoyment of the Alfa and most seem to say they are once again enjoying driving just for the sake of it which speaks volumes about how Alfa's engineers have hit the mark with this car. I expect the Stelvio Quadrifoglio will only bolster this change in perception as more buyers switch out of other brands to try it.

The Giulia and Stelvio are certainly achievements but it will take more time (and money). I wish them well but when I see what became of Fiat, I get angry. Very angry. What a shame. During my youth, a Fiat Uno or Fiat Ritmo was basically the coolest car you could own. Now? Well...the 500 is more of a shadow of the company and all the other products are a joke.

--

RC:
    ISUK:

RC,

I know, especially Ferrari has improved a lot but Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati and Fiat? Not really. Smiley

And do you base this opinion upon personal experience or what you read? I've had three Maseratis in the last 10 years and had no problems with them either.

ISUK:
    RC:
    ISUK:

RC,

And do you base this opinion upon personal experience or what you read? I've had three Maseratis in the last 10 years and had no problems with them either.

I could tell you but I don't think it would be wise. Only this: Experience from tons of cars. 

You were lucky...or barely driving them. Smiley

--

Any news when the Macan facelift will be presented, tomorrow in Beijing?

Seems so

Rear will be adapted to new Porsche design "language", front will be slightly different (front lights almost he same).

No V8 engine as far as I know...unfortunately.

--

Great, more reason not to replace my current Macan. The current language is quite a bad one and boring being littered on every model...

There is rarely a reason to buy a facelift of any high-end car. You heed to wait for next-gen models to actually get anything of value.

But that mean wait 7 or 8 years sometimes... That’s too long for most people.

There is always a car in it's latest generation, just might not be a Macan. I don't really follow every single car out there, but I'm sure there are some luxury SUVs/crossovers that are better than a facelift Macan.

BMW will have some sort of iX3 out next year I thought, or an iPace or something like that.

Well, iX3 is apparently a 2020 car, but iPace is out now. It's an EV crossover, nicer interior than a Macan IMO too.

There are no other crossovers than even comes close to the Macan as a complete package despite the paltry 400hp on the turbo and the vacuum cleaner sound from inside, at least when specced on the higher scale of things (full leather and such).

When something EV comes though, things might change because it will move the trade off between having an EV car vs the luxury of the car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690245 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409584 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235137 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65622 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858304 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774523 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM