Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

As an additional point of reference, I'll have the plenum with the CG exhaust while Larry will have just the CG exhaust so we'll be able to compare the differences between one and the other side by side.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I'll know soon enough if I've just flushed $1k down the drain.

Is that all? Hell, that's less than my monthly Social Security check. Let the good times roll! And you guys keep paying into the system so I can keep up with the Jones' (er... make that Atomic80).

Over the Hill:

You are absolutely right I did install the CG exhaust and the plenum at the same time. However the Plenum needs up 50 miles of driving perhaps a little less for the computer to make the adjustments or you will not notice a difference in the beginning. When I picked up my car I did feel sharper response because of the exhaust. However after the 2nd day and putting 50+ miles on the car I got on the car and without a doubt the car went insane once I passed the 4K RPM, I kid you not with the plenum the car dose not feel like it struggles when you push it. It just goes and goes

Quote:
    eclou said:
    $1k is peanuts on these cars. Some here have paid triple that for steering wheels. Everytime I open the computer I can find ways to drop several bills on my car! Must....stop......spending.......

Gene, don't start getting rational on us! You can't take it with you. When was the last time you saw a Brinks truck following a hearse in a funeral procession?

Quote:
    When was the last time you saw a Brinks truck following a hearse in a funeral procession?

I have but they were going to the relatives homes afterwards

(Sorry OT from the very interesting current discussion on the merits of RSS plenum.)

Haudimal,

Yes, I have listened more carefully: My stock exhaust does have a resonant hum especially when you are "lugging" the engine. This hum starts around 2300 and ends once you are up to about 2800.

I suspect many complaints about after-market system's drone/resonance is this "stock" hum magnified in volume. I would think anyone thinking about changing exhaust should listen and be aware of this, at least so the after-market system doesn't get "blamed" for something already there.

Ah yes, the stereo. Linn and Koetsu Rosewood with Conrad Johnson phono stage and pre amp. Very yummy. I use Quad, Magnepan, and Martin Logan panel speakers and change system as dictated by my mood.

Quote:
    haudimal said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Ed,

I have just come to the exact same conclusion. Now that I've done some listening, I realize EVEN the stock car for example has higher frequency humm, very small in volume but there & most likely a resonance, at around 2500 to 3000 when throttle is applied in a certain way, with car at some combination of speed/gear.

In after market exhausts this noise is louder. I guess how problematic it is depends on how loud it gets, if it becomes a physical buzzing, & how persistent it is. In talking to owners with after-market exhaust and in direct listening, I have heard the following comment more than once: "There is a noise here that will go away if you select a different gear." I am still learning, but suspect that all 3 systems I am considering, AWE, Cargraphic, and Tubi, have some component of this.

Quote:
    edz61 said:

Trust me on this and I don't care who says what all hi performance exhausts have a thing I call annoying point at a certain RPM.

Exactly, i thought I'm the only one hearing that drone at the stock exhaust. But you can count on Cannga Linn High End brother (BTW using Audionet and electrostatics - mmmmhhh)

I have the Fabspeed VerIII and there is the same drone at ~ 2.500, maybe 10-20% more than stock. But i guess most will not tell the difference , so i think the Fab is one of the best non droning systems. And i really love the sound, esp. the cold start idle is pure sex!

So gene will you be adding the plenum at the end as well!?

This is my story and I am sticking to it!

I had the AWE exhaust installed on my 08 TT first. The sound changed for the better, no question, and the engine did rev easier and more freely. However, I would not go so far as to say I felt any increase in performance.

About 3 weeks later, I bought the IPD Plenum and for the hell of it... the BMC Air Filter. I purchased the Plenum and filter from Greg at RSS and he was/is an outstanding guy to work with. He went over and beyond to overnight me the filter so that both parts could be installed at the same time. Lucent Motors in West LA did the install, as well as the install 3 weeks prior on the AWE Exhaust. Tom is also a great guy who took care of other issues he was not even responsible for.

Bottom line from my personal experience is that after the Plenum & Filter were installed, there was no question that the car felt faster. So, I can not say that the Plenum by itself will make a difference that you can actually feel, but in my case, the performance benefit from the combination of the Plenum and the Exhaust definitely can be felt, and isn't that what really matters. If a computer says my car is faster but I can not sense any improvement, what difference does it make? The Exhaust/Plenum combination made a difference on my Tip TT that was very noticeable to me and for sure worth the $$.

Quote:
    TurboBill said:
    This is my story and I am sticking to it!

I had the AWE exhaust installed on my 08 TT first. The sound changed for the better, no question, and the engine did rev easier and more freely. However, I would not go so far as to say I felt any increase in performance.

About 3 weeks later, I bought the IPD Plenum and for the hell of it... the BMC Air Filter. I purchased the Plenum and filter from Greg at RSS and he was/is an outstanding guy to work with. He went over and beyond to overnight me the filter so that both parts could be installed at the same time. Lucent Motors in West LA did the install, as well as the install 3 weeks prior on the AWE Exhaust. Tom is also a great guy who took care of other issues he was not even responsible for.

Bottom line from my personal experience is that after the Plenum & Filter were installed, there was no question that the car felt faster. So, I can not say that the Plenum by itself will make a difference that you can actually feel, but in my case, the performance benefit from the combination of the Plenum and the Exhaust definitely can be felt, and isn't that what really matters. If a computer says my car is faster but I can not sense any improvement, what difference does it make? The Exhaust/Plenum combination made a difference on my Tip TT that was very noticeable to me and for sure worth the $$.

There is no question in my mind that any aftermarket exhaust system will improve the output. Bill, I think you're implying you felt/saw immediate improvement over and above your aftermarket exhaust with the addition of the plenum and air filter. But, edz61 says it took his car about 50 miles for the computer to "learn" the new parameters. So I'm still looking for a little more scientific evaluation.

BTW the drone in the exhaust system mentioned elsewhere in this thread can be exacerbated, if it is a two piece system like the CG, and the two pieces are not perfectly aligned. Both Atomic80 and I plus others found this out on our cars last year. The drone in my CG now is barely perceptible and then only in a very narrow 200 RPM band.

is there the same plenum on 996GT2 ?

Quote:
    fredb said:
    is there the same plenum on 996GT2 ?

Same company but different part.

Just got the plenum today.

IPD plenum

IPD plenum internals

The one thing that surprised me is how BIG this thing is!

Atomic, right on bro, go for it, let's prove together that this thing works

I want one too now...-__-

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    I want one too now...-__-

Jut do it man DO IT NOW

Hello,i have a 997 4s cab you thimk that plenum can do work and how many hp can take?Thanks

Quote:
    ILIAS said:
    Hello,i have a 997 4s cab you thimk that plenum can do work and how many hp can take?Thanks

Yes, check it out for yourself

http://www.roadsportsupply.com/

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

IPD plenum

IPD plenum internals

can't wait to hear the impressions! I'm too seriously considering getting one.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

IPD plenum

IPD plenum internals

Jason - Before & After dyno or Butt-meter????

Car is in the workshop getting the plenum installed will post butt dyno feedback and 100-200 vbox results before and after

Any update guys ?

Stay tuned, I just got it installed yesterday and it needs to be driven a bit before the Turbo can fully utilize the plenum to it's full potential.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    it needs to be driven a bit before the Turbo can fully utilize the plenum to it's full potential.

People keep writing this doubtlessly because that is what their "tuner" is telling them....

Surely the way modern electronics work one or maximum two full bore runs in a loaded gear like 3rd will ensure that the ECU will switch to its "best" map with maximum fuelling, timing etc to allow for the greater airflow which the plenum is (alledgedly) giving - how can this take any more time than one full load run ?

The ECU will always "push" toward knock everytime full throttle is given, this is the way it works and it only backs off to a more conservative map when approach of knock is sensed..... "The backing off" or "giving the best map" happens in micro seconds - this is the whole benefit of modern Bosch systems.....

I can tell you guys that my initial impression is good.

TB993tt this not entirely accurate. There have been instances where the ecu takes approx 200kms to adjust. Of course those where cases where the ecu had to adjust a long long way -ei last w/e 996tt after replacing faulty air/mass sensor and faulty sparkplugs- took 2 days and 200kms+ of very spirited driving to readjust consumption from 35lts/100kms to 20lts /100kms and increase back ignition timing.
    Now the plenum would not take that much but I think 1-2 full ecu circles (start from cold, drive hard, switch off, cool down engine= 1 cycle) might still be necessaryfor the ecu to full take in whatever benefit there is to have.

Just one other point - what RON fuel are you using - 91 ??

Bit different to the 95RON regular / 98RON superunleaded of the UK, not to mention 100RON available from a small number of BP fuel outlets (at outrageous prices)

The bp one in the uk is actually 102 oct I believe..

Correct GT - i couldn't remember at the time and then got pulled away to the garage

Quote:
    GT said:
    TB993tt this not entirely accurate. There have been instances where the ecu takes approx 200kms to adjust. Of course those where cases where the ecu had to adjust a long long way -ei last w/e 996tt after replacing faulty air/mass sensor and faulty sparkplugs- took 2 days and 200kms+ of very spirited driving to readjust consumption from 35lts/100kms to 20lts /100kms and increase back ignition timing.
    Now the plenum would not take that much but I think 1-2 full ecu circles (start from cold, drive hard, switch off, cool down engine= 1 cycle) might still be necessaryfor the ecu to full take in whatever benefit there is to have.

I am going to make some more enquiries on this subject to someone I know who writes ECU programs - You may be correct but I just can't see the ECU taking so long to "adapt" when everything else it has to do (like pulling timing when knock is sensed) is done in micro seconds - surely a "cycle" is simply a full load run where the ECU adopts to the most aggressive map during the run as it realises (in real time) that Knock is no where to be seen

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I can tell you guys that my initial impression is good.

you gonna put the car on dyno and/or measure 0-100 100-200 etc with performancebox or something?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM