Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

deviating stitching - carrera red HELP[

Help, is carrera red an option or only guards red for deviating stitching in USA?. dealer order site only lists the guards red. also trying to get deviated leather for sunvisor, shift boot and gear leather trim in carrera red. not needing deviating stitching on these items. Does anyone have code for stitching in carrera red, 07 is not a listed option?

Re: deviating stitching - carrera red HELP[

My 2008 US order guide does list Carrera Red (07) stitching as available.
    Double-check yourself (page 27): http://www.bumperplugs.com/2008%20Turbo%20Order%20Guide.pdf

For that matter, thread-to-sample (99) is also listed as available. Check out whether it's listed as available on the US dealer order site. If it is, use that instead, and specify Carrera Red as thread color.

If neither works, you may have to escalate it to PCNA and complain their dealer order site is not up to date...

Regarding sunvisor, shift boot and gear leather trim strip:
    - they are covered by 09991 "Deviated stitching on all Exclusive options"
    - you must order the DAW (manual) or DAV (Tiptronic) shifter
    - "gear lever trim" (CDZ) is included in DAW, you don't need to order it twice (similarly, CFA is included in DAV).

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    My 2008 US order guide does list Carrera Red (07) stitching as available.
    Double-check yourself (page 27): http://www.bumperplugs.com/2008%20Turbo%20Order%20Guide.pdf

For that matter, thread-to-sample (99) is also listed as available. Check out whether it's listed as available on the US dealer order site. If it is, use that instead, and specify Carrera Red as thread color.

If neither works, you may have to escalate it to PCNA and complain their dealer order site is not up to date...

Regarding sunvisor, shift boot and gear leather trim strip:
    - they are covered by 09991 "Deviated stitching on all Exclusive options"
    - you must order the DAW (manual) or DAV (Tiptronic) shifter
    - "gear lever trim" (CDZ) is included in DAW, you don't need to order it twice (similarly, CFA is included in DAV).

I may be wrong, but I think ZMAN wants the actual sunvisors, shifter boot & gear lever trim to be carrera red, not the stitching.

"trying to get deviated leather for sunvisor, shift boot and gear leather trim in carrera red"

Can you or Jason (the option gurus) help him?

Ohh ok. Sorry about that.

AFAIK, as long as it's an Exclusive option, you can specify the color on the additional Exclusive order form.

You may have to ask the Exclusive department for a quote though, as they may add a surcharge for the deviating color...

I have a carrera red leather interior and deviated the dash, tops of doors, and carpet black. I also put in all the carbon options to break up the red. On the red leather, I deviated the stiching to black - and did guards red on the black leather. It looks good - as you can see by the pic.

pic is huge but absoutley sick! Damn I'm so jealous cause no matter what I do to the interior I cant change the factory stitch inless I redo the whole interior! So jealous man I hate you!

Nicely done.

leonjohn,

I agree what I see is great, and in keeping with some of my original ideas, can you include the order codes for your interior and some more pictures.

I agree the carrera red total seems overwhelming to me and the bicolor is nice,(if only they made that easier)
    Does the guards red come close enough to the carrera red in tone?

What I am trying to do is have the red in a contrast to the black (or vice versa) somewhat similar to the techart turbo cab see: http://www.zercustoms.com/news/TECHART-Porsche-997-Turbo-Cabriolet.html

Thanks for any help as I try to get my order finalized for a May build

I wanted a large blow-up photo so you could see the Carrera red leather next to the Guards Red stitching. They do not clash and it's really hard to see a difference between the two colors. I don't have the codes, but I do have a list of options with the cost in USD...

Basalt Black Metallic Paint

Black Cabriolet Roof

Carrera Red Natural Leather $1,510.00

Heated Front Seats $500.00

Key Pouch in Interior Color $95.00

Carbon Package Switch Panel $2,700.00

Sport Chrono Package Turbo $1,920.00

Carbon Package $890.00

Floor Mats in Interior Color $140.00

Rear Center Console - Carbon $1,625.00

Carbon Multifunction Str Wheel $620.00

Telephone Module for PCM $960.00

Adaptive Sport Seats $1,145.00

Porsche Crest in Headrests $270.00

Parking Assist System $530.00

Deviated Stitching in Seats $1,020.00 (Black)

Deviating Carpet $630.00 (Black)

Door Trim in Deviating Color $310.00 (Black)

Door Stitching in Deviating Color $240.00 (Guards Red)

Dashboard Stitching in Dev. Color $240.00 (Guards Red)

Upper Dash in Dev. Color Sport Chrono $550.00 (Black)

Door Finisher in Carbon ***** $2,700.00

thanks for the list. It will allow me to pick through the list well. I will check and push further as the 07 (carrera red did not come up on the dealers option list with the ordering options and agree with groom that it appears that is should be an option. if not I'm happy to see that the guards red is not too clearly bright compared to carrera red when at some separation.

Thanks for the info. here is my current build

BASE Porsche Base Model 136,500.00
    Z4 Basalt Black Metallic 0.00
    V9 Cabriolet roof in Black 0.00
    AT Black Full Leather 0.00
    CXD Door Entry Grds Carbon Illumin 1,280.00
    EAD Carbon Package Switch Panel 2,700.00
    P01 Adaptive Sport Seats 1,145.00
    XCZ Sport Shifter 765.00
    XMJ Rear Center Console - Carbon 1,625.00
    342 Heated Front Seats 500.00
    640 Sport Chrono Package Turbo 1,920.00
    803 Carbon Package 890.00
    498 Delete Model Designation 0.00
    220 Axle-Differential Lock Rear 950.00
    25491 F/R Seat Inlays In Dev. Color 1,100.00
    CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo 295.00
    XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror 560.00
    XPA Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather 310.00
    XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest 270.00
    CDZ Gear Lever Trim in Leather 250.00
    CFX Floor Mats With Colored Trim 510.00
    CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid 165.00
    -------------------------
    My consideration is whether to go back to a red with deviating black leather (dash, doors and accents CF included) or the all black with red accents. Appears the former may be the way. Does anyone have concern about the CF MF wheel vs. the sport thicher wheel?

Thanks to all for insight.

The MF wheel is probably too thin. You may want to order a standard MF wheel from Porsche, and get an upgraded thick CF rim from TechArt.

Another drawback of the Porsche CF MF wheel is the unavailability of deviating stitching on it (which you can see on the pic above), because it's not an Exclusive option and as such, is not covered by any deviating stitching option code.

A downside of leonjohn's spec IMHO is that it's inconsistent:
    1. the larger door speaker protrudes into the black carpetted area
    2. the rear side panel is full red, whereas the matching door panel is red with a black top.

Regarding 1. there's nothing you can do.
    Regarding 2. there's nothing you can do about the rear side panel, but you may want to keep the door full red (and the dashboard top black).

To put it in a nutshell, I suggest you stick with your current spec.

To brighten your interior a bit, you may want to get the middle section of the door (section below the side airbag strip and behind the door handle) in Carrera Red; but still, it won't look very consistent, as there is no similar option for the rear area.
    IMHO it's much easier to make a good-looking bicolor interior in the 987, because we don't have to deal with the rear area...

BTW, you can get Thicker MF steering wheel from Porsche as well:

431 MF steering wheel
    CPA Thicker MF steering wheel

Only you need to enter both codes into your order.

You're correct. I was talking about the CF MF wheel, since zman was asking about it. I apologize for my ambiguous post.

Thicker leather MF wheel is available from Porsche, but thicker CF MF wheel is not. So if you want thick and CF, you need to go TechArt.
    To do that, order the standard MF wheel from Porsche, and the upgraded rim from TechArt.
    If you don't want the MF buttons (which I do find nice) but do want thick and CF, then you can choose between a round core (stock on TT) and a triangular core (free option), then get the appropriate rim from TechArt.

Btw deviated stitching is available on the Porsche thicker MF wheel (because CPA is an Exclusive option).

Thanks to all for the information, as usual this is a very helpful and knowledge filled group. Question for groom or all, is a limited amount of deviated stitching, such as red on seats and dash/door, but not every-where a faux-pas, with different stitching of different areas (i.e. red on black seats with "normal" gray on other areas?

Does anyone have pictures of the deviated seat, I'm looking at black interior with carrera red deviation.

Am I correct to understand that all exclusive options can have color specified (as long as it is an interior color)?

If I do carbon package for shifter and brake can I specify red for the Boot to go with the red for the shifter trim in leather (red)?

Do people have an opinion (I know the answer to that already, but had to ask ) about center console in CF vs leather if I'm contrasting the black interior with red and planning on the shifter and cargo lid in deviating red?

Sorry so many questions, hope to gain insight so as not to make a "mistake" that is hard to correct or live with. Thanks to all for your halp. Promise to post pictures when it's in (hopefully early summer) don't expect Atomic's artistry but will try. i do enjoy the photos of the posters, keep it up.

I have photos of the deviated stitching on the seat, but I'm not posting it because "the groom" will just say what a piece of [beep] car I have. No more pix.

Quote:
    zman said:
    is a limited amount of deviated stitching, such as red on seats and dash/door, but not every-where a faux-pas, with different stitching of different areas (i.e. red on black seats with "normal" gray on other areas?

Well, that's the reason why Porsche makes it so hard to order deviated stitching, with several option codes.

IMHO it'd be a faux pas. You will definitely notice the lack of consistency. At least I would. But then, I'm certifiable...
    If you consider going that route, I suggest getting full red seats instead of merely inlays.

Quote:
    zman said:
    Does anyone have pictures of the deviated seat, I'm looking at black interior with carrera red deviation.

Black sports seat, red inlays, red stitching? I'm afraid I haven't seen any yet.

Quote:
    zman said:
    Am I correct to understand that all exclusive options can have color specified (as long as it is an interior color)?

Basically, any color deviation is possible with those options. If the price is right, of course. You'll need to get a quote from the Exclusive department.

Quote:
    zman said:
    If I do carbon package for shifter and brake can I specify red for the Boot to go with the red for the shifter trim in leather (red)?

Unfortunately, the carbon package in not an Exclusive option (except on the GT models). So no, you cannot.
    To get deviated anything (color or stitching) you have to order one of the "special" Exclusive leather/aluminum shifters (or the Alcantara shifter).

If you want the dashboard carbon trim strip, you need to order it separately from your dealer and have him install it when the car arrives.

Quote:
    zman said:
    Do people have an opinion (I know the answer to that already, but had to ask ) about center console in CF vs leather if I'm contrasting the black interior with red and planning on the shifter and cargo lid in deviating red?

I prefer leather but both work. IMHO with black carpets, the center console has to be black.
    To be honest, I'd keep the shifter boot and armrest black with red stitching. Your call.

Picture from TechArt, pretty close to your spec:

Quote:
    zman said:
    Sorry so many questions, hope to gain insight so as not to make a "mistake" that is hard to correct or live with.

It's a risk inherent to venturing off the beaten path. I'd hate it if it happened. Your dealer would hate you as well if you rejected the car because of a glaring omission.
    But if the car comes as expected, it's definitely worth it. There are too many generic arctic/black 911s around!

Quote:
    zman said:
    Promise to post pictures when it's in (hopefully early summer) don't expect Atomic's artistry but will try. i do enjoy the photos of the posters, keep it up.

Please do. Your car will be a stunner.

Leonjohn, I apologize if I offended you. I meant no harm. I certainly commend you for straying off the beaten path. The picture you showed was gorgeous indeed.

Yet, I'm afraid that it's one of the few areas where the 996 was better than the 997. There are too many inconsistent areas for a certifiable obsessive-compulsive like me.

Since I do not know about zman's sanity, I felt compelled to warn him. He deserves an informed choice. Only he can decide whether those imperfections are a meaningless inconvenience, or a deal-braker.

If you love your car, if you smile when you look at it and when you sit down into it, it's all that matters.

Quote:
    zman said:
    Thanks to all for the information, as usual this is a very helpful and knowledge filled group. Question for groom or all, is a limited amount of deviated stitching, such as red on seats and dash/door, but not every-where a faux-pas, with different stitching of different areas (i.e. red on black seats with "normal" gray on other areas?

Sorry so many questions, hope to gain insight so as not to make a "mistake" that is hard to correct or live with. Thanks to all for your halp. Promise to post pictures when it's in (hopefully early summer) don't expect Atomic's artistry but will try. i do enjoy the photos of the posters, keep it up.

I think it would be a very large error to do "partial stitching" Just look at all the comments in posts about the dreaded error of getting stitching on the console and not on the shifter boot. This picture of deviated stitching is a little dramatic, but can you imagine having stitching on the console and the area on the sides of the PCM and not on the shift boot or for that matter, taking any single area of stitching out and leaving the regular stitching.

Thanks groom for indepth reply and also the understanding and stating that we all have different views of what is desirable and attractive, thus the reasons for all he options, I certainly do not want or am trying to build a car that is plain jane or that everyone will love, but as leonjohns interior (that we can see from the photo) got strong positive reaction. Panda Mna's comment "So jealous man I hate you! " shows that straying off the path as you put it is beautiful to some.javascript:void(0)

Thanks for he positive comments and I am finding from my dealer that Porsche NA is limiting us from ordering deviating colors on these exclusive options.javascript:void(0) I may there for go back to the redi interior and do the deviations where I can, I am leaning toward red carpet with black mats, rather than the other option. I would appreciate insights into this. My May build order is coming due so decisions in the next few days. Thanks to all for the help.javascript:void(0)

Leonjohn - if you would post some pix would be appreciated as my build might be close to yours, Thanks. javascript:void(0)

Zman - I'm on the west coast right now. I will be back next week. I can email pix 2 u next week. I can be reached on yahoo with the same user name. You are welcome to see it in person if you want to drive to Wisconsin.

It's a shame you don't get the choice we get on the other side of the pond... I suspect PCNA has grown tired of customers rejecting cars because it didn't turn out the way they thought...

I suggest a spec similar to leonjohn's:
    - Carrera Red interior
    - 803 Carbon package
    - EAD Carbon package switch panel
    - 25731 Upper dash (w/ Sport Chrono) black
    - 24901 Red stitching on dashboard
    - CFX Black floor mats with Carrera Red leather piping and lettering.

I would not get the top of the door in black for consistency reasons.

You'd also need to do something about the steering wheel (red in front of a black dashboard). AFAIK Porsche won't let you order it in black from the factory.
    You can do like leonjohn and order the CF MF wheel, which looks sharp I must say, even though it's too thin for my taste.
    Or you can order a black thicker CF steering wheel from TechArt, with guards red stitching. It's going to be expensive, though.
    Another option is to get the VIN of a car that came with a black steering wheel with guards stitching, and let your dealer order a "replacement" that he will install on your car when it arrives.

I agree it is a shame that the options are restricted. I had been considering very similar option to leonjohn and your suggestion. What do you think of upper and lower dash black? Will the conflict with the sides of ecm be too much or just right? The carbon will break up the red in body of the car and I had thought of avoiding the upper door panel as you had suggested. I do think it looks fine as seen in leonjohn's pix, but understand the challenge it makes with rear panel in all red.

The steering wheel is a challenge and I agree the CF in leonjohns did look good. the techArt is $$$, but probably better feel, and can be all black.

I'm conflicted with the idea of a deviating insert in the seats, black in red now. I've seen the red in black and is sharp, never the opposite. Have seen photo of M5 with white outside and black inside and worked, but had similar contrasts in the door. It's the how far to go out of the box question, I think it works, would be nice to see it to be sure. Thoughts?

Thanks to all again for the insight.

Quote:
    zman said:
    I agree it is a shame that the options are restricted. I had been considering very similar option to leonjohn and your suggestion. What do you think of upper and lower dash black? Will the conflict with the sides of ecm be too much or just right?

I'd advise against it. It will look just weird.

If you want to go that route, you're probably better off starting from a black interior and adding red seats, door panels, and rear side panel (and red stitching everywhere else).

Quote:
    zman said:
    I'm conflicted with the idea of a deviating insert in the seats, black in red now. I've seen the red in black and is sharp, never the opposite. Have seen photo of M5 with white outside and black inside and worked, but had similar contrasts in the door. It's the how far to go out of the box question, I think it works, would be nice to see it to be sure. Thoughts?

I'd also advise against it. The side bolsters are quite vulnerable (especially with adaptative seats) and show wear much faster than the middle section.

AEsthetically speaking, I think that it's more logical to put the red part in the middle section, because the eye will naturally gravitate towards the brighter color (especially red). If the color pulls the eye to the outer part, it feels unsettling - at least to me.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    It's a shame you don't get the choice we get on the other side of the pond... I suspect PCNA has grown tired of customers rejecting cars because it didn't turn out the way they thought...

I suggest a spec similar to leonjohn's:
    - Carrera Red interior
    - 803 Carbon package
    - EAD Carbon package switch panel
    - 25731 Upper dash (w/ Sport Chrono) black
    - 24901 Red stitching on dashboard
    - CFX Black floor mats with Carrera Red leather piping and lettering.

I would not get the top of the door in black for consistency reasons.

You'd also need to do something about the steering wheel (red in front of a black dashboard). AFAIK Porsche won't let you order it in black from the factory.
    You can do like leonjohn and order the CF MF wheel, which looks sharp I must say, even though it's too thin for my taste.
    Or you can order a black thicker CF steering wheel from TechArt, with guards red stitching. It's going to be expensive, though.
    Another option is to get the VIN of a car that came with a black steering wheel with guards stitching, and let your dealer order a "replacement" that he will install on your car when it arrives.

I have a Slate Grey with Carrera Red TT Cab on order. I too agonized over having "too much" red in the interior. I also considered doing a deviated upper dash and doors in black with red stitching, but couldn't reconcile many of the issues that The Groom mentions as well as the fact that the door handle area and defroster trim strip would still be red (although after seeing Leonjohn's interior I'm having second thoughts). In addition, I did not want to introduce a third color into the interior or carbon fibre. However, since the roof was going to be black, I ultimately decided to go with deviated black carpets and stitching. In addition, I ordered a bunch of painted interior painted parts in Slate to soften things up a bit including the seat backs, center console, PCM, trim strip, instrument surround, air vent slats, etc. If only Porsche would listen to their customers so we wouldn't have to deal with these issues.....

By the way, I tried to order black mats with guards red binding figuring the color difference wouldn't matter much on the carpet, but the computer would not allow it due to the conflict with Carrera Red.

Leonjohn, from the one picture you posted your car looks great. I would love to see more pictures of your car as Basalt Black was my second choice.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    zman said:

I think it would be a very large error to do "partial stitching" Just look at all the comments in posts about the dreaded error of getting stitching on the console and not on the shifter boot. This picture of deviated stitching is a little dramatic, but can you imagine having stitching on the console and the area on the sides of the PCM and not on the shift boot or for that matter, taking any single area of stitching out and leaving the regular stitching.

Damn! That blue deviated stitching is just what I tried to order on my car last year. I was told that color was only offered on non U.S. cars. My only choice of blue at the time was Midnight, which isn't much of a deviation.

Anyone have pix of carrera red with deviatating black stitching. Leonjohn has this but not in pix seen so far. May build deadline is looming. Intersested especially in the seats.

Thanks

Groom, thanks for your insight, hope you don't fine me insane with the pursuit of this. I'm thinking of carrera red interior and deviating the entire dash (upper, lower and side panels - black) with the CF makes the vents red and deviating red stitching on dash. Rest is red - not devieating the doors as you have noted the rear doesn't match and keep carpet and do the black mat. Suggestions? Is deviating black stitch on the seats good or bad contrast?

Thanks for help. Final build nearly due,

Quote:
    zman said:
    Anyone have pix of carrera red with deviatating black stitching. Leonjohn has this but not in pix seen so far. May build deadline is looming. Intersested especially in the seats.

Thanks

Best pic I could find:

Quote:
    zman said:
    Groom, thanks for your insight, hope you don't fine me insane with the pursuit of this. I'm thinking of carrera red interior and deviating the entire dash (upper, lower and side panels - black) with the CF makes the vents red and deviating red stitching on dash.Rest is red - not devieating the doors as you have noted the rear doesn't match and keep carpet and do the black mat. Suggestions? Is deviating black stitch on the seats good or bad contrast?

It's certainly going to look interesting. If I'm not mistaken, older 911 with bicolor interiors were set up like that.

One thing you must look into is whether it's possible to get the vent slats in red leather, BUT the area at the basis of the windshield in black. It came in red in leonjohn's car. If it's not, then I suggest that you only get the top half of the dashboard in black.

If you do deviated stitching on the red leather as well, you mustn't order the Carbon package (803); instead, order the DAW shifter and specify red leather/black stitching, then let your dealer install the missing Carbon dashboard trim strip when the car arrives.

Thanks, I think you are right that at the very front of the dash it's red as are all the vents in leonjojn's picture. How does that affect the appearance if the lower dash is black? I'm having a hard time with my visualization of that. Is it that the upper dash only is a accent more than a foundation if the whole dash is black?

You've got what I had in mind. The real question is, do you want a black interior with red accents, or a red interior with black accents.

If you want black to be the foundation of the interior, you need a continuity between the dashboard, the center console, and what is behind the center console, i.e. the carpet.

In which case, it might make sense to start from a black interior, and add red seats, door panels and rear side panels. That setup implies black carpets, black pillars, black roof lining.
    Getting red AC slats might be a challenge, though. Shame, since they look damn good in leonjohn's pic.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690160 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409542 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235119 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65615 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858287 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774480 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM