Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Life after Break-In: Brief Impression & Pics

Odometer finally went pass 2000 so I initiated my baby on a series of meandering back roads of Southern Cal over the weekend. During the first part of the road, there was a cop driving around with Ka band radar continuously on and my hard-wired Valentine worked as advertised. But deep into the "country," there was no car, no police, and several straight sections with perfect asphalt and visibility.

Anyway, thought I should mention that the gain in speed is shocking when this car is not burdened by surrounding traffic and the 4000 rpm limit. The rate of forward propulsion is alarming and gave the sensation of blood rushing backward in my head. In the meaty part of the rev band the shove when you burry the pedal has to be experienced to believe. It's not unlike the sensation you feel when an airplane is taking off. Even as I have experienced the brutality of AAHTT's Protomotive modded Turbo, I have no wish for more power as for my amateur-level of driving, this is all I need. For now that is, LOL.

Observing "slow in fast out" religiously, the car's response in curves at good speeds was predictable and stable. I like to go through curves at higher rpm so without the 4000 limit, powering out of apex was near orgasmic. There is this sense of limitless power and torque, and you could feel the rear coming out and the front tucking in a controlled manner.

BTW, I was thinking about "upgrading" the suspension to X73 but now am having second thoughts. As I drive the car daily, perhaps the suspension is perfect as is. We shall see.

Other negative, YMMV but to me the exhaust note is not good. If you follow this forum you know what I mean. I listened to several exotic cars last Sunday in succession and the Turbo is by far the worst.

I'm glad that "once in my life" I have experienced the monster that is this turbo engine. I also love the steering feel, and how the short nose and great in-cabin visibility (to me the secret to the success of the 911 form) make the car feel small and nimble. If you are ordering a Turbo, do go all out on the options! IMHO the chance is high that you will hold on to it even as you order the next generation 911.

Haudimal's shot so inspired me I need to respond. His is in the snow; here's mine on the other side of the world, in the blinding sun of the California desert.

Re: Life after Break-In: Brief Impression & Pics *

Parking lot of my work place. After sunset.

Re: Life after Break-In: Brief Impression & Pics

On the way to the drive.

Guards Red looks stunning in the sun - see one here in the UK in guards red and because of the dismal weather + dirt on the roads, the car looks terrible in that colour...... but yours looks truly stunning!

Nice pics Can!!

Great shots! That's what i wanted to say, if you're out of traffic and the ECU adapts and understand that you wanna have some fun, the beast gets awake.

I have the pleasure to feel that almost every day on the Autobahn and and after that you really admire this great car!

Love your pics - great looking car. Your write up was wonderful - I felt like I was experiencing your elation as I read. Glad you love the car so much - the wait for mine is just killing me, and reading your post made it even worse!

You consistently have the most terrific pics of one of the hottest Turbos.

Congratulations, Can on reaching a milestone. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts as you make your way through your 997TT ownership experience. Your tales of choosing an exhaust system, your amazing pictures, and your wheel "adventures" have continued to delight us all. Here's to many more years of enjoyed ownership in the years yet to come!

I especially love this picture

I noted that it's very similar to the picture taken by Stan (roadtrip) from NM slightly tweaked by me for effect.

amazing pics Can, of your car & the wonderful so cal chemtrails.

Fantastic wheels on the Turbo, bet I've seen so far. Are they BBS?

@cannga: thanks so much Beautiful photos of a beautiful car

Fantastic pics!!

Makes me very depressed that I don't have such scenic locations and or beautiful weather to showcase my car.

Although saying that, when the sun is out and the roads are quiet - no way are you going to get me out of the drivers seat even for a minute to pull over and take a pic - having WAY too much fun!!

Can: No wonder you were making fun of my pictures that were taken in haste. Wonderful pics my friend. The car looks awsome. Maybe someday will be pair up the cars and take some photos

~ Breathtaking!

~Beautiful car, gorgeous pictures..

~Loved the write-up too! Makes the wait even harder!!

~Doesnt get better than that.

Thanks Cann!!

Needless to say, the comments mean *a lot* to me. Thank you.

It was a gorgeous, pristine morning; I was with a great friend (997 C2S); Choral Symphony blasting in the background. I did think to myself, "what a wonderful world."

Anyway, it is a pleasure sharing my thoughts with other Porsche fans, some *at least* as out-of-control nutty and compulsive as I am (you know who you are, LOL). I am spending way too much time on this forum. But... What's a hobby without "partners in crime"?

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Fantastic pics!!

Makes me very depressed that I don't have such scenic locations and or beautiful weather to showcase my car.

Nah..., can be done almost anywhere.

These guys (very sorry, I don't know who took pic) took their cars to an industrial site and got some great pics! A guy on another board took pics in front of abandoned mental hospital. It's all good (potentially).

Can,
    Wonderful narrative, great pictures. Great to be able to finally unleash your beautiful Porsche. Mine will be ready for pick up tomorrow but:

Took this picture about 10 minutes ago.
    Thats Heinz Field to the left & PNC Park to the right with lots of SNOW in-between. I'm jealous!!

very cool...2nd photo is my new wallpapers

Ed: Would never think of "making fun" of your pictures! Just messing with ya. Would be a pleasure to take pictures of your beauty. I am sure we'll meet one of these days.

993Targa: Wheels are HRE P40, not BBS.

Alex: Give it a try, you might be surprised: Overcast light could be wonderful for pictures. In fact I almost never take pictures of my car in mid-day lighting as it is not as interesting as other low light situations. I did here here just to "show off" the California sun to contrast with Haudimal's fantastic snow shot. Also I would think London and England's countryside make for fantastic backgrounds!

Duffy: Some of my training was in Pittsburg so I know what you are going through. Again, love the third line of your signature. So brief, so to-the-point!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Fantastic pics!!

Nah..., can be done almost anywhere.

These guys (very sorry, I don't know who took pic) took their cars to an industrial site and got some great pics! A guy on another board took pics in front of abandoned mental hospital. It's all good (potentially).

Ahyes ... that was a nice day indeed

Quote:
    Rami said:

Quote:

YEAHHHH! Reeeeally Nice. Thanks again.

Quote:
    Rami said:

YEAHHH! Reeeeeally nice! Thanks again

1. I like that first shot!
    2. Rami, you guys are crazy. I could imagine the puzzled look of the guard upon seeing four pristine Porsche's driving around in there.

Quote:
    cannga said:

2. Rami, you guys are crazy. I could imagine the puzzled look of the guard upon seeing four pristine Porsche's driving around in there.

I'm guessing the guard became totally freeked out (and vowed to give up drinking) since the extremely fast cars never crawled faster than 2 mph. He didn't realize they were avoiding stone chips.

Hey Can,

Those pics looks great...I have not seen guards red in person...does it usually look orange (like in pic 2) during sunset...It's my new wallpaper, looks absolutely stunning.

Kamal.

Kamal,

Thanks. No Guards Red most definitely does not have an orange tint; that's just from the light in the parking lot messing up the natural white balance. Interesting that you mention sunset, it is (of course) the golden hours and is my favorite time to take car pictures, as in the ones following. I've posted them before but here they are.

Quote:
    Kamal911 said:
    Hey Can,

Those pics looks great...I have not seen guards red in person...does it usually look orange (like in pic 2) during sunset...It's my new wallpaper, looks absolutely stunning.

Kamal.

Post sunset. Again it's the parking lot halogen or whatever gas light, so don't use this to judge the color.

More representative. I guess red is not as popular as it used to be, but for me there is no other choice. It made one part of the planning process easy. Everything starts with red and beige.

Take your time and make sure it's the color you love and order as many options as possible--I almost NEVER see any owner wishing he had ordered less options. If it's Cobalt you want, maybe the wife could be bribed? This thread has Atomic80's Cobalt Turbo.
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=419298&page=&fpart=1&vc=1 Lastly, are you interested in PCCB?

BTW, you are making a great choice. I love my baby even more now and I never get tired looking at it, EVERYDAY.

Quote:
    Take your time and make sure it's the color you love and order as many options as possible--I almost NEVER see any owner wishing he had ordered less options. If it's Cobalt you want, maybe the wife could be bribed? This thread has Atomic80's Cobalt Turbo.
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=419298&page=&fpart=1&vc=1 Lastly, are you interested in PCCB?

BTW, you are making a great choice. I love my baby even more now and I never get tired looking at it, EVERYDAY.

Funny you should say that, I tried bribing her last night with a Gucci bag but she wasn't having it ...She drives at most less than 5 miles per day and this is suppose to be her daily driver...Guess I should be lucky, we started off looking at a Cayenne Turbo and both of our jaws dropped when we saw the 997tt ...once we took it for a drive we were sold.

Those pics of Atomics cobalt are bananas They make me want cobalt even more...

As for PCCB, they sound great but I think that the stock breaks are good enough for the driving that we are going to be doing...

Going to dealer again today and think that we will end up specing one out for a June build...I will deff post the specs once we decide to get some ideas from everyone here...

Looking forward to owing one and from everything I have read here I wont be disappointed...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782059 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442896 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263517 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261945 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86010 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6026 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881691 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819793 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM