Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official: New Porsche Carrera T

Gauss:

@P-J, good to have you back my friend wink

Congratulations on the T. It’s a very nice spec.

We should open a thread about cars and dogs. My Border Collie will also get rides in the cageless GT3 kiss Hopefully it will not be too loud. 

Cheers, Gauss and thanks for the nice words Smiley I recall your C-dog very well - must be grown up meanwhile. Don't worry: the dogs know very well how to differentiate disturbing noise from a good sound Smiley I see your GT3 is coming in April...so only a few days to go for you....must be excited SmileySmiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981 Spyder Riviera-Black, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic-Black

d997h:

... On my part I assume I just got taken by the "GTS-interior" of my Cayman and this makes me comparing nearly all alternatives currently in the Porsche line-up. Delivery date would be when ?

I know what you mean as my 981 Spyder interior is quite similar to the GTS interior Smiley Sounds like it's time for a change (maybe not the car but the working place..), otherwise you may order some Porsches just because you are playing too much with the configurator Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981 Spyder Riviera-Black, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic-Black

bluelines:

Good to see you back P-J! wink Excellent choice the T kiss

Hey bluelines, thanks Smiley I notice you've got yourself a 4 GTS - superb choice Smiley I didn't drive a 4wd Porsche for ages (latest thing I recall is a 996 TT 12 years or so ago) and I had the old prejudices in my head (adds weight, sucks power, understeers..) just until a couple of days ago when I had a 991.2 Targa GTS for a day: I was absolutely impressed by the 4wd (crazy cornering speedsSmiley) and I am convinced that (drivers with equal capabilities provided) the 4wd 911 will have a significant advantage over a 2wd 911 on a nice Swiss alpine passroad - not only in the snow or rain but also in summerly conditions. Smiley

--

Grant:

I think it is very difficult to get an allocation for any non-GT 911 right now.  Seems that they are heavily focused on making as many GT3, 3RS, and 2RS as possible right now and the others are scarce...

Hi Grant, allocations are not a problem over here: they don't come in spades but I could have secured allocations in 3 Porsche Centers I spoke to (each of them had 1-2 slots open yet, one offered even a GT3 Touring allocation). Also it's not a problem to get a reasonable discount over here (for the T that is, not the GT3 Smiley). When are you going to pick up your new baby or did you get it already Smiley

--

Grant:

Some reviewers whom I respect have shown a preference for the character of the base engine (feels more like NA motor).  I haven’t tried any of the 3.0tt yet...

Combination of the 3.0 base and the shorter geared manual seems to go well on small circuits (Sachsenring) - note that Carrera and Carrera S were PDK equipped.

AB_Sportscars_Sachsenring_04_18.jpg

--

Welcome back Porsche-Jeck

I will report my impressions from the factory collection and the first drive - my plan is to do the run-in in the first two days.

The Sachsenring-time is really ok, if you compare it with other older manual cars like 997.1 and .2 GT3 and RS on Semislicks and this one:

1:33,5 min - Porsche 911 GT2 RS (997.2) (semi-slicks) - Driven by Walter Röhrl

The progress of these cars over just some years is unbelieveable...

Blueflame

and GTS is basically as fast as GT3 manual smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Why even bother bringing manual cars to the track to measure lap time... That is not why one would buy a manual car...

Nice going, Achim!!!

Great to see you here after too long an absence!  I think -you'll have lots of fun with the T kiss

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Porsche-Jeck:
    bluelines:

Good to see you back P-J! wink Excellent choice the T kiss

Hey bluelines, thanks Smiley I notice you've got yourself a 4 GTS - superb choice Smiley I didn't drive a 4wd Porsche for ages (latest thing I recall is a 996 TT 12 years or so ago) and I had the old prejudices in my head (adds weight, sucks power, understeers..) just until a couple of days ago when I had a 991.2 Targa GTS for a day: I was absolutely impressed by the 4wd (crazy cornering speedsSmiley) and I am convinced that (drivers with equal capabilities provided) the 4wd 911 will have a significant advantage over a 2wd 911 on a nice Swiss alpine passroad - not only in the snow or rain but also in summerly conditions. Smiley

Thanks P-J! Smiley 

Yes, the GTS is a great car and I am very happy with the choice. It is remarkable that a sports car can be this versatile. A true all-year round everyday car which is comfortable to drive long distance with the whole family, yet in Sport Plus mode it transforms to be super sharp, responsive and agile with track times not far off the GT3. 

While we did not get a dog (congrats to this cutie too!) we did get twins and hence the rear seats are a must. The forward-facing child seats should arrive tomorrow and from May onwards the little ones are allowed to come with me in the 911. The car interest should be encouraged from early on Smiley

Looking forward to pics of your T! Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Please share pics of the child seats. It might happen that I need to change to a 911 one day due to this reason...

Did you not already have some child seats in the GTS?

Josef:

Please share pics of the child seats. It might happen that I need to change to a 911 one day due to this reason...

Sure, I will post a few pics.

This was a painful exercise. I tried different solutions but in the end I only found two seats which fit in the rear in the 991 for front-facing 15 months - 4 years:

• Porsche Junior which is a rebranded, and slightly modified, Britax Römer for twice the price of Britax
    • Cybex Juno 2-Fix, which I went for in the end

There is also a Recaro Monza Nova Seatfix which does fit, but is rather cramped. In the US there are some cheaper and simpler seats which fit but they are not for sale in Europe.

Common for the Porsche, Cybex and Recaro is that the child is not strapped in a belt or harness, but with an impact shield which hold their full body from the front. This shield also prevents the child’s head to move too much forward in a collision (which is the big danger at this age and why most seats are rear facing).

90F1B92B-B3E6-4492-9C71-04580EAA6A1B.png

--

Many thanks for the detailed and informative reply, I will bear it in mind but hope that I do not need to let go my GT4 too early  kiss

Josef:

...I will bear it in mind but hope that I do not need to let go my GT4 too early  kiss

Been there, done that Smiley

--

blueflame:
    Gauss:

Only 2 weeks between built date and delivery. Is that the usual time span? I was told a month ago that my car was built, and I'm still waiting...

No, everything with my T-quote was not usual...I got the offer for this car just 2 days before the konfiguration-end.  

@ blueflame: haha, great - same here: just got the confirmation (see picture). Less than two months lead time for a customer specced P is not that bad Smiley 

All the best for the pick up next week and please let us participate vicariously Smiley

@ Gauss: are you picking up your car in Zuffenhausen or will it be shipped to the PZ Smiley As blueflame mentioned, factory pick up is a bit messy these days, why I opted for PZ delivery this time (P salesguy said Zuffenhausen pick up may trigger a potential delay of up to six weeks Smiley ) When I get message on build date for the T I will do a calculation for you how many days between build date and delivery Smiley

Very much hope that you can get hour hands on the steering wheel of your new car very soon Smiley

1524742565850T_Order.jpg
    --

bluelines:
    Josef:

Sure, I will post a few pics.

This was a painful exercise. I tried different solutions but in the end I only found two seats which fit in the rear in the 991 for front-facing 15 months - 4 years:

• Porsche Junior which is a rebranded, and slightly modified, Britax Römer for twice the price of Britax
    • Cybex Juno 2-Fix, which I went for in the end

There is also a Recaro Monza Nova Seatfix which does fit, but is rather cramped. In the US there are some cheaper and simpler seats which fit but they are not for sale in Europe.

Common for the Porsche, Cybex and Recaro is that the child is not strapped in a belt or harness, but with an impact shield which hold their full body from the front. This shield also prevents the child’s head to move too much forward in a collision (which is the big danger at this age and why most seats are rear facing).

@bluelines, can you tell what has been modified ? I was set to order the Junior G1. Thanks.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Josef:

I've used Cybex aton as rear facing car seat in the 991.1, it might be the smallest rear facing seat. 

It will fit but the front seat will have to be moved forward that I wouldn't be comfortable in. 

Once 2 years old, there are many front facing car seats that would fit comfortably. 

Gauss:

@bluelines, can you tell what has been modified ? I was set to order the Junior G1. Thanks.

Firstly, it has awesome Porsche Motorsport colors Smiley

More importantly, the supporting leg on the Britax base station has been removed on the Porsche version. I assume due space constraint in the 911.

--

Speccs:

PDK  ? RWS ? Front lift ? Bose ?

Full leather T-interior yellow is my favourite as well - for what it's worth, the Porsche dealer in my neighborhood however and sadly played it very very safe - an all black Carrera T specced like an "ordinary" base Carrera, no lift, no RWS, but foldable buckets (which automatically deletes the T-interior Option) - if you removed the side T-stripes as wll you would not see any difference at all to a base Carrera, which is a shame...

d997h:

Speccs:

PDK  ? RWS ? Front lift ? Bose ?.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ79HP71

Hi d997h, actually none of these Smiley In the GTS cars I recenty drove PDK was more perfect than ever which also means (for me!) more boring than ever. As the thrill in the T certainly won't be in the straightline department Smiley the fun has to come from more driver's involvement, which the manual should provide Smiley I first had RWS in my spec (as I am a sucker for all the so-called performance options when speccing a new Porsche), but getting older I like it the traditional way Smiley(being afraid the RWS while providing a performance advantage makes the car behave somewhat un-911ish..), even would have preferred an analogue sports suspension rather than the SPASM. Front lift I guess I don't need (apart from the fact that it adds weight and complexity) and I can live in my neck of the woods with the even lower 981 Spyder, so I should be fine without the lift. Bose Smiley was the only spec mistake in my Spyder - I never use it. I know it's a bit better in a 911 (listened to it in the 991.2 GTS cars I took for extensive test drives), but it's still of no value for me.

And of course all these things add weight and I am already sinner enough with speccing the pano-roof + privacy glass SmileySmileySmiley

--

Interesting how different tastes can be... Smiley ... for example, I would never specc (txs for sharing the code) a sun roof in a 911... I guess "manual" or PDK is really something of a dilemma... I do like my PDK in the Cayman very much, on the track and in particular, for my daily commuting ... However, in the "T" you get manual with torque vectoring and a slip diff, whereas choosing PDK, it is a DELETE. And, I do like the idea of NOT taking the chrono package in the "T", because it is just the clock and the Porsche App but without the engine mounts...so, methinks, a standard configuration for the "T" is the best, what one can do as a DD, perhaps the buckets could be an option  in case of more track work. At least, the "T" with the stripes and the T-interior provides some contrast to the dull 911 environment I see here in the Frankfurt region, where everybody seems to follow Henry Ford's ancient remark on colors...Smiley

Then, you could also argue that it makes more sense to take a GTS instead (slightly used GTS models with low mileage are widely available at highly attractive prices, probably under 911 T price). Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Then, you could also argue that it makes more sense to take a GTS instead (slightly used GTS models with low mileage are widely available at highly attractive prices, probably under 911 T price). Smiley Smiley

Yes, basically it boils down to "money decision" (if this ever made any sense in the context of "toys for boys" in the first place) Smiley vs. "heart decision". I am happy to go with my heart - wisdom of age or maybe lack thereof, who knows SmileySmiley

@ d997h: agree with all your observations Smiley Re the pano-roof you may have missed my posts on dog poops Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    RC:

Yes, basically it boils down to "money decision" (if this ever made any sense in the context of "toys for boys" in the first place) Smiley vs. "heart decision". I am happy to go with my heart - wisdom of age or maybe lack thereof, who knows SmileySmiley

When it comes to our toys, the heart decision is the most important one. Money is important as well of course but you need to choose what you like, feel comfortable and happy with... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

When it comes to our toys, the heart decision is the most important one. Money is important as well of course but you need to choose what you like, feel comfortable and happy with... Smiley

Absolutely, Christian Smiley Seems you also gained some wisdom of age since I hang around at RT more frequently years ago SmileySmiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    RC:

Absolutely, Christian Smiley Seems you also gained some wisdom of age since I hang around at RT more frequently years ago SmileySmiley

--

Of course...wisdom of age...at least I try to think that...otherwise I would shoot myself. Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Wisdom ? Sooooorrrry, who turned to the dark side infiltrating each and every thread with Aaaaar Eiiiiight comments?Smiley 

Apart from that, it is indeed interesting how many GTS there are new or used on offer...it seems like the dealers had  to order the whole GTS line-up to not loosing any GT3 whatever allocations...Smiley

You are right: the showrooms are flooded with GTSs these days, but I recall it was somewhat similar with the 997 GTS marking then end of the 997 lifecycle - just as now with the 991. The big difference is that the cars now hitting the showrooms have to be registered in Germany end of August latest due to new emission laws requiring the particle filter from September for new cars. A P-person told me that they have an allowance for 20% of the stock to be registered somewhat later, but stil....provides customers with a nice bargaining argument Smiley

--

My T arrived in January. I kept the spec fairly basic with the T interior in yellow with rear seats, lightweight glass, manual, GT Silver paint, PCM and a few other options. However my dealer took delivery of probably their last Targa 4S at the same time which had the sport design kit and was also GT Silver. I have long wanted a targa but never got round to actually going through with an order and saw this as my last chance before the 992 is launched. I managed to get a deal on the targa and my dealer had a buyer for my T within a couple of days. I had the wheels swapped out on the targa for a set of Sport Classic wheels in gloss black to give a hint of a retro look to the car.

Thus far I have absolutely no regrets on the swap as the targa is better suited to the type of use I put the car to but I have little doubt that the T will be a great car as well.

IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_2717.jpg

Congrats ISUK, beautiful Targa!!! If I hadn't settled for the T I would have gone Targa also (still have the 981 Spyder for open air fun). What type of use do you think the Targa suits better (apart from the open top option of course) - more power on highways, 4wd for british weather ? 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753243 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430795 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258628 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255490 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79536 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868387 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801971 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM