Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interesting picture

a 993TT and 997GT2. How things have changed or have they? The similarity is unbelieveable. No one can tell me that Porsche has a styling department. Winderking must sketch out the styling changes on a bar napkin.

Re: Interesting picture

Quote:
    nberry said:
    a 993TT and 997GT2. How things have changed or have they? The similarity is unbelieveable. No one can tell me that Porsche has a styling department. Winderking must sketch out the styling changes on a bar napkin.

Well, one of the main reasons for the success of the 997 actually is the similarity in styling compared to their very successful 993.

Porsche tried a (mild) change with the 996 - and failed.

You mean 997TT.

The 996 was a failure?

What is interesting about the picture is the styling difference between the models is almost 20 years yet they are almost identical.The headlights, front grill, light placement and so on. Remarkable.

I guess one could argue that the design is timeless which is its strength.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Well done, Nick. You finally got it.

This should mean that you will now have to look for a new theme for your posts, but I won't be putting any bets on it.

Quote:
    The headlights, front grill, light placement and so on. Remarkable.

Hmmmm?

The difference between those two Porsche's is much greater than the diff between the 430 and 360.

Quote:
    nberry said:

haha you mean 997TT and 993TT.. things have changed? but the real question is can YOU see them. Seeing as you mix the models up even, shows me that really you can't tell them apart, not because they're so similar, but because you need glasses

why change something thats perfect? but you can't see that eithe

I do agree that they look very similar though and i see your point!!

ps. im pretty sure you said 997GT2 on purpose so ill take my above comment back

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

This should mean that you will now have to look for a new theme for your posts, but I won't be putting any bets on it.

Fritz I was being nice. If you approach the general public and ask based on the picture which car was almost 20 years old, it would be a toss up which they would choose. If I owned a 997TT, I would cut my throat. Spend almost twice what the 993 cost and no one could tell the difference.

Joe, I am proud to say I fully anticipated your post and in response I say;

1. Big difference in the front end between the 430 and 360. Anyone can see that.

2. The 360 still is fetching MSRP despite being almost 10 years old.

Some call it lazy designing, some call it evolution

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:

Hmmmm?

The difference between those two Porsche's is much greater than the diff between the 430 and 360.

The two Ferraris' fronts look almost identical. Moreover, they both look vulgar and in bad taste. I cannot tell for sure which is the newer design but the one on the left looks like a bad evolution of the one on the right,like the uglier offspring of ugly parents (the nostrils have grown so much ) These cars have none of the class and finesse of other Ferrari shapes of the past and present.

It's amazing how fresh the 993 still looks.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:

Hmmmm?

Good point Joe! and by the way.... the 360 is just too smiley isn't it?

Quote:
    993Targa said:
    It's amazing how fresh the 993 still looks.

Tony Hatter's superior design. Better than Pinky Lai's creations since, although the 997 look rebounded somewhat.

They look very similar because the design is timeless.

Quote:
    nberry said: If I owned a 997TT, I would cut my throat. Spend almost twice what the 993 cost and no one could tell the difference.

This says it all

If thats what sportcars are for you then sure enough, it would be a very bad move to buy a 997TT because you would not appreciate and enjoy what has changed in the "inside" over 20 years (performace, handling, driving...), and you would not appreciate the fact that they still look similar and carry over the iconic 911 line, generation after generation... few sportcars can say the same, and thats one of the things we love about the 911.
    The day you buy a 911 I will be very very worried and will make me rethink my ownership

Quote:
    nberry said:

Your only looking at both cars from one angle, [edited].
    Any [beep] could see the difference between old and new.
    Btw, you must really have nothing to do.

Take note for the next tiime RR4, insults will not be allowed in this forum.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Fritz I was being nice. If you approach the general public and ask based on the picture which car was almost 20 years old, it would be a toss up which they would choose. If I owned a 997TT, I would cut my throat. Spend almost twice what the 993 cost and no one could tell the difference.

1. Big difference in the front end between the 430 and 360. Anyone can see that.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

From what I have gathered, the 993 was the most expensive 911 to produce/purchase.

The 993TT wasn't much less than the 997TT given the inflation, hell it may even be the same or cheaper than the 993TT!

The front bumper on the 993 looks after amrket. Anyway a 911 is a 911 and alwyas will be.

Porsche just needs other good designs to add to it and bring others back

like the 928, the best thing they ever built!

Quote:

Well let me state for the record that I had that picture ready and waiting for you, and I have more awaiting your next Porsche-bashing exercise! Oh... and you're way off on the 360/430. The reason the 360 is holding its value so well is that it looks so much like the 430 it hasn't been stale-dated yet.

Styling features that uniquely identify a marque seem particularly desirable in an era where homogenized design has become the norm. Aside from the three pointed star, it is far more difficult to distingusish a contemporary Mercedes Benz from a Japanese import of similar dimension than to identify any Porsche of similar vintage. Porsche has traditionally emphasized design continuity with the 911, in part because its ventures into terra incognita such as the 928 were not financially satisfactory (despite the brilliance of the end result). The Italians, in contrast, have been much less bound by tradition in terms of styling or design, choosing preferably the au courant or avante garde to make a statement. Sometimes this results in art, sometimes in oddity. Success is immortalized (365 Daytona) and failure is quickly forgotten (308 Mondial). It is highly unlikely that Porsche management includes Ferrari in their business equation. WW's compensation package is likely greater than Ferrari's yearly profits.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Take note for the next tiime RR4, insults will not be allowed in this forum.

Awww, Carlos, couldn't we make a special exception where insulting Nick is concerned?

I mean, it would be a win-win situation.

We'd have our fun insulting him and he would get all the the attention he so sadistically craves.

Just kidding, of course.

Quote:
    DaveC said:
    The Italians, in contrast, have been much less bound by tradition in terms of styling or design, choosing preferably the au courant or avante garde to make a statement. Sometimes this results in art, sometimes in oddity.

The Italian supercar manufacturers did not traditionally develop a styling "Corporate Identity" the same way that Porsche has, because the Italían cars' styling has been done by a diverse bunch of outside sources like Bertone, Pininfarina, Zagato, ItalDesign, Ghia, Stola, etc, etc.
    Porsche's styling has been kept (sometimes quite literally!) within the family, explaining the tendancy to consistently adhere to a family likeness - if you overlook those extra-marital adventures, the 914 and 924.

Fritz, I spoke to God about the posters on this board and here is his reply to me which he asked I send to all of you.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...mp;cardist=2551

Yeah, now that's value retention.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...mp;cardist=2642

And that's just a regular 993 Turbo.

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...mp;cardist=2551

Yeah, now that's value retention.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...mp;cardist=2642

And that's just a regular 993 Turbo.

how do they say OWNED!

Considering it costs over $200k to get a new 430, the 360 has actually been killed in resale value...

I should also mention 993TT are trading around $60-65 and not $80k...

I would also prefer if Porsche did what ferrari has done with the 355 / 360 /430 and did a clean redesign but with clear evolutionary genes.

The 911 has remained almost identical over the years and its getting really boring.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    I would also prefer if Porsche did what ferrari has done with the 355 / 360 /430 and did a clean redesign but with clear evolutionary genes.

The 911 has remained almost identical over the years and its getting really boring.

If you think about it, that's what the 996 was, compared to the 993. Totally different front and rear, sleeker, but still with that distinct sloping rear.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803570 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448644 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266239 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90129 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6672 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885941 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833611 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM