Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera Spotted in Seattle

Turbo?... I dont think so!

Eww. The more I see of the Panamera, the more I think that form following function is leading to this being one ugly car....

wow really good pictures though.. they show the pipes for the first time...

I VERY EXCITE!!

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    wow really good pictures though.. they show the pipes for the first time...

I VERY EXCITE!!

It seems as if there will be two different types of exhaust pipes...

I agree with atzporsche - it is looking better and better. My thought is that Porsche has held off from revaling the definative design element of the car - that being the top of the rear fenders. Once the camo comes off I think it will be a very good looking car, although it may be too big for my garage. Round tail pipes, no big rear fake wing, starts to look very sexy. Hips to come!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Eww. The more I see of the Panamera, the more I think that form following function is leading to this being one ugly car....

Haha so true.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Haha so true.

People say this about Cayenne too. But 200,000 Cayennes later they should all shut up! I wonder how many "beautiful" Jaguars, Astons and Maseratis will be sold worldwide.

If you think that sales figures are all that matter, then good luck to you. You have to respect the fact that other people have a different opinion from you. My view is that, if I find a car ugly, I don't care how many other people bought it, the car will not start to look beautiful to me just because other people bought it. It's their money and they can spend it how they want. Their choice of spending won't affect my taste.

Quote:
    reginos said:

People say this about Cayenne too. But 200,000 Cayennes later they should all shut up! I wonder how many "beautiful" Jaguars, Astons and Maseratis will be sold worldwide.

Sounds like insider talk from a Hyundai, Kia , Toyota, Chrysler and I have to include Porsche , etc. etc., auto manufacturer's marketing person !

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    If you think that sales figures are all that matter, then good luck to you. You have to respect the fact that other people have a different opinion from you. My view is that, if I find a car ugly, I don't care how many other people bought it, the car will not start to look beautiful to me just because other people bought it. It's their money and they can spend it how they want. Their choice of spending won't affect my taste.

Actually no SUV can be potentially beautiful like a coupe or sports car for example.But I resent all this negative hype which originated from the english language motoring press about how ugly the Cayenne looks, which tries to formulate an opinion. I haven't read in any magazine for example about how ugly the X6 looks. The Cayenne is neither better nor worse looking than any other SUV of its category like the Range Rover the X5 the ML etc. Now coming to the Panamera (another funny name!)how can you all judge its looks by looking at spy shots of disguised vehicles? .Its looks will be Porsche-family looks which appeal to some and don't to others. A 911 is not beautiful in the way a Scaglietti or 599 GTB is. But it still appeals to a huge number of people because it is a shape with timeless personality like all Porsches before it and I can predict also after it.

I still dont see the point in having a 5 mtr long and 1.8 mtr wide Porsche monster.

This car will end up like Mercedes R class. Spacious and very interesting concept but at the end it didnt sell because the car is too ugly

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    I still dont see the point in having a 5 mtr long and 1.8 mtr wide Porsche monster.

This car will end up like Mercedes R class. Spacious and very interesting concept but at the end it didnt sell because the car is too ugly

I can't understand what problem a lot of you have with the Panamera concept. The Ferrari Scaglietti for example, which is neither 4 door nor real 4 seater and without the hatchback practicality, is 4.9m long and 1.96m wide and 1840kg. Yet no one has anything negative to say about Ferrari (a 100% low volume sport car manufacturer) making a long, wide and heavy car! Double standards in my way of thinking. As regards the looks none of us can pass judgement because we haven't seen the baby yet.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Lars997 said:

The Ferrari Scaglietti for example, which is neither 4 door nor real 4 seater and without the hatchback practicality, is 4.9m long and 1.96m wide and 1840kg. Yet no one has anything negative to say about Ferrari (a 100% low volume sport car manufacturer) making a long, wide and heavy car! Double standards in my way of thinking. As regards the looks none of us can pass judgement because we haven't seen the baby yet.

Good point!!! and lets not talk about Ferrari Scagalietti looks....

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Lars997 said:

The Ferrari Scaglietti for example, which is neither 4 door nor real 4 seater and without the hatchback practicality, is 4.9m long and 1.96m wide and 1840kg. Yet no one has anything negative to say about Ferrari (a 100% low volume sport car manufacturer) making a long, wide and heavy car! Double standards in my way of thinking. As regards the looks none of us can pass judgement because we haven't seen the baby yet.

The Scaglietti is not all that bad when you see it in flesh, I'd rather say it's impressive and mean looking. But I have to admit that it's not the best design from Ferrari in the last couple of years.
    But concerning the weight, let's just wait and see if Porsche really manages to produce a car as big and as "light" as the 612 Scaglietti, since 1840kg are not that much for a car that big.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Lars997 said:

The Scaglietti is not all that bad when you see it in flesh, I'd rather say it's impressive and mean looking. But I have to admit that it's not the best design from Ferrari in the last couple of years.
    But concerning the weight, let's just wait and see if Porsche really manages to produce a car as big and as "light" as the 612 Scaglietti, since 1840kg are not that much for a car that big.

Well, as a benchmark of a 4 door coupe, the M-B CLS range goes from 1,700-1,920kgs. I expect Porsche will not have any problems beating that.
    Talking about Ferrari shapes I think that both their front engined cars are beautiful.

guys im getting really excited.. ill be working to give you guys some better sketches..

Sorry, I can't stand the fake "Y" exhausts as seen on GM Pontiacs.

What's worse: the uneven carbonization is a ridiculous giveaway to everyone that they're fake.

Honestly, does Porsche think _everybody_ wants all that bogus clutter hanging off their cars? Even someone interested in a four-seater? I guess so... .

Oops..., rant over.

Quote:
    MMD said:

What's worse: the uneven carbonization is a ridiculous giveaway to everyone that they're fake.

Not sure about that. In fact I would expect an Y-exhaust to be covered with carbon in both endings. An uneven carbonisation is more an indication for a valve exhaust.

I will still wait for the official unveiling but this thing is not looking good at all!

Quote:
    racerx said:
    I will still wait for the official unveiling but this thing is not looking good at all!

There are two pictures in the AutoZeitung magazine. They look more finished(maybe photoshoped based on inside info) and IMO not bad looking at all. Intake between front wing and door ala CGT,that continues into a recess on the front door.

Once at a Porsche event I saw a video were Porsche said "The Panamera would set the sedan world on its ear and that BMW would not want us to be in the business because of it". It sounded like very errogant talk coming from a company that doesnt say much. My thought is style is subjective and function respected. Porsche didn't become the most profitable car company by not making right decisions. They dont sell cars they make money when car companies file for losses and get sold or bought. The panamera will not only act the part of a Porsche sedan but will also LOOK the part.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Not sure about that. In fact I would expect an Y-exhaust to be covered with carbon in both endings. An uneven carbonisation is more an indication for a valve exhaust.

I didn't think of that. Maybe you're right. I sure hope so!

Please God: do not let them be shaped like this:

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I didn't think of that. Maybe you're right. I sure hope so!

Please God: do not let them be shaped like this:

Hey MMD, that looks like a carbonised cactus.

atzporsche, Is this your rendering? If it is, could you render a two door version of the Panamera? We'll call it the PanAm!

Guys, Check out this video.
    It doesn't look too bad at all here

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=231181

I watched the video and agree with these 2 guys on that site

" Can't decide if Porsche has set a target somewhere between a Ferrari Mondial and a school bus."

and

"What is the point of it? It looks like an estate.... but only has 4 seats. Call me stupid, I just don't "get it". Where exactly is it trying to position itself?"

It still looks like a huge shapeless blob. I do not see how it can end up nice.

I guess it's a question of personal taste.
    I am just sad that lately so much effort and resources have been directed at SUV's and family sedans rather than at developing a top of the range sports car.
    I can certainly understand it from a business point of view (very short term thinking), but it is very sad from an enthusiasts point of view.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/9/24 3:22 PM
    watt
    726314 1795
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    422808 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    257472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    249773 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    73149 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5022 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

864032 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    789820 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM