Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nissan GT-R sales in EU starts in March 2009

What to say about that

Only an GT-R fanatic will wait that long IMHO...

Re: Nissan GT-R sales in EU starts in March 2009

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    What to say about that

Only an GT-R fanatic will wait that long IMHO...

A Z06 will remain cheaper and faster, if one can't afford the 997TT.

same thing is true for the U.A.E.

A handful of VIP will get allocation now and the rest of the population will have to wait until 2009

I can't see how a Z06 will be faster...

Quote:
    WAY said:

I can. Lighter and more powerful.

At least we won't get a "pre-series" as now in Japan, but a fully tweaked final version. For instance, they are apparently testing a new suspension setup, that should be good for a couple of seconds on NS.

Thanks God that we dont have to see this ugly car earlier in Europe!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

And more efficient drivetrain (no power losses through front wheel drive system)

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

And more efficient drivetrain (no power losses through front wheel drive system)

True .

Yeah but that only account for faster in a straight line. I think the GTR will be faster than most on circuit test. Trust me on this. I have seen enough of GTR tail lights to know this!

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Yeah but that only account for faster in a straight line. I think the GTR will be faster than most on circuit test. Trust me on this. I have seen enough of GTR tail lights to know this!

The thing is too heavy. No serious sports car can weigh 3800+ lbs . I do believe it might be easier to drive for most of us with its great setup, but I doubt in its speed .

Andrej,
    That delay(from October 2008 to March 2009) actually means something IMHO. GT-R has more then 480hp and even retarded one knows that. So, Nissan needs to figure out what to do in good old Europe. Either to print out true power or simply to tame power down to 480hp. You know that laws here in Europe are little bit different and for example you can not sell GT-R in Germany with 480hp in specs if car really produce close to 550hp... Remember situation about SL55AMG? Mercedes corrected power output data to 500ps soon after first tests...

We shall see i guest...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Andrej,
    That delay(from October 2008 to March 2009) actually means something IMHO. GT-R has more then 480hp and even retarded one knows that. So, Nissan needs to figure out what to do in good old Europe. Either to print out true power or simply to tame power down to 480hp. You know that laws here in Europe are little bit different and for example you can not sell GT-R in Germany with 480hp in specs if car really produce close to 550hp... Remember situation about SL55AMG? Mercedes corrected power output data to 500ps soon after first tests...

Yeah, I remember the AMG farce. And even then, most cars dynoed at much more than 500 PS .

Of course the GT-R has more horsepower than the Turbo, but most reports mentioned that it wasn't actually quicker than the 997TT, just better in the corners - something we can easily attribute to the faulty PTM. That pig needs over 500 bhp just to keep up in the straight line.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Andrej,

Maybe I am naive but why would Nissan lie about the hp? Assuming it has 550hp, they could charge for it and the results remain the same. It beats the 997TT which it set out to do. What am I missing?

Or is this similar to when the Z06 turned a better time than the TT at the Ring and everyone claimed GM cheated? I just do not understand the mentality that if a car outperforms a Porsche, the car is cheating.

Nick,
    you did not understand my post apparently. I am not talking about comparison with Porsche, I am talking about fact that GT-R is producing at least 530hp. NOT 480hp as Nissan claim is their specs. You simply do not like 997 series. IMHO you do not like it WAY too much. Why would Nissan lie? How about this-our(Nissan) hp(480) are bigger then Porsche's ones or Nissan AWD is way more efficient... Do you now get the point? I already can tell you that we will know that real truth when GT-R hits EU showrooms in Spring 2009. Nissan will either tame its power to real 480hp or we will have new power figure(530-550hp). I can bet on it...

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Thanks God that we dont have to see this ugly car earlier in Europe!

true that

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Nick,
    you did not understand my post apparently. I am not talking about comparison with Porsche, I am talking about fact that GT-R is producing at least 530hp. NOT 480hp as Nissan claim is their specs. You simply do not like 997 series. IMHO you do not like it WAY too much. Why would Nissan lie? How about this-our(Nissan) hp(480) are bigger then Porsche's ones or Nissan AWD is way more efficient... Do you now get the point? I already can tell you that we will know that real truth when GT-R hits EU showrooms in Spring 2009. Nissan will either tame its power to real 480hp or we will have new power figure(530-550hp). I can bet on it...

Kreso, I was not attacking you because I consider you one of the more factual and objective posters on the board. My point is lying about hp to the extent that people are claiming on this board if true is plain stupid and dumb on Nissan's part. There is absolutely no reason for them to do so. If it takes 550hp to beat the TT and it is 40% cheaper in price, you would think it is something to crow about rather than lie.

Think about this. No one ever questions what Porsche has to say. Name the last time anyone on this board has questioned anything Porsche has published. When it comes to Porsche and their pronouncement, you would think God has spoken. All other manufacturers are either cheaters or lying.

Nick, I respect you very much as well. I also agree with your comment about Porsche-God relationship. It is really little bit too much Porsche fanatism here sometimes...

BUT, in Nissan's case my opinion is simple-they are lying. Both you and me are lawyers and we can recognize lies... Let me tell you just this-my friend who works for Motorpresse(German company that publishes both AMS and Sport Auto) told me that von Saurma was really impressed with GT-R prototyp that Nissan allow him to try on the Nordschleife. Just when Sport Auto stuff asked a question about GT-R real power Nissan personal becomes very nervous and sealed their lips... Physics is physics and for that kind of performance GT-R needs more then 520hp. Simple as that.

Now, tell me something else-would you be happy if you are potential buyer of GT-R with the fact that your car is having way more power then its manufactures officially claim? I would NOT. If fact what will happened if some kid do something nasty with GT-R and kills himself with new(overpowered) toy? Would you then sue Nissan for lying about its power(and missleading potential costumer)?

Even Mercedes AMG tried to play this stupid "lower power" game with SL55 few years ago but, people dynoed their cars and AMG then changed offical power ratings...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Name the last time anyone on this board has questioned anything Porsche has published.

I know of many such occurences (just look at the threads discussing the GT2 for example)

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Let me tell you just this-my friend who works for Motorpresse(German company that publishes both AMS and Sport Auto) told me that von Saurma was really impressed with GT-R prototyp that Nissan allow him to try on the Nordschleife. Just when Sport Auto stuff asked a question about GT-R real power Nissan personal becomes very nervous and sealed their lips... Physics is physics and for that kind of performance GT-R needs more then 520hp. Simple as that.

And even with this prototype Sportauto was not faster than 7:50. The GTR is a good sportscar not more. Based on the infos available to date the car might be as fast as the 997TT. I doubt that it should be any faster

P.S.: I am really relaxed about this discussion. Porsche now offers the perfect performer again - the GT2. Superior performance as in the old days

Reverse psychology. Claim you have only 480 hp instead of 530, and people will think you have 600.

It's an old, established tradition. It's part of the mystique. R33/R34 GTR had a lot more than the claimed 280 ponies.

Kreso I understand your point. Physics can deceive. Look at the GT2 with 530hp and weighing around 3100lbs able to do the Ring in 7.33 while the CGT with 612hp and weighing less than 3000lbs did it in 7.32. Technology my friend.

BTW, I would not be upset if a car manufacturer sold me a car with more hp than advertised especially if I was buying a high performance car. I would be upset if I bought a Prius that had 300hp instead of the 200(?) and its gas mileage was 20 miles to a gallon.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Nick, I respect you very much as well. I also agree with your comment about Porsche-God relationship. It is really little bit too much Porsche fanatism here sometimes...

BUT, in Nissan's case my opinion is simple-they are lying. Both you and me are lawyers and we can recognize lies... Let me tell you just this-my friend who works for Motorpresse(German company that publishes both AMS and Sport Auto) told me that von Saurma was really impressed with GT-R prototyp that Nissan allow him to try on the Nordschleife. Just when Sport Auto stuff asked a question about GT-R real power Nissan personal becomes very nervous and sealed their lips... Physics is physics and for that kind of performance GT-R needs more then 520hp. Simple as that.

Now, tell me something else-would you be happy if you are potential buyer of GT-R with the fact that your car is having way more power then its manufactures officially claim? I would NOT. If fact what will happened if some kid do something nasty with GT-R and kills himself with new(overpowered) toy? Would you then sue Nissan for lying about its power(and missleading potential costumer)?

Even Mercedes AMG tried to play this stupid "lower power" game with SL55 few years ago but, people dynoed their cars and AMG then changed offical power ratings...

Kreso made a good here because under advertising the cars power might mislead and will result in unnecessary injuryies. I know a bunch of people, especially young, that want to feel all the power, so they go to the limit. Problem is if this limit exceeds the expected value, i fear that many unexperienced drivers will end up crashing.. this kind of power at the price is just very dangerous.. kids here have killed themselves with a 350Z.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Kreso I understand your point. Physics can deceive. Look at the GT2 with 530hp and weighing around 3100lbs able to do the Ring in 7.33 while the CGT with 612hp and weighing less than 3000lbs did it in 7.32. Technology my friend.

BTW, I would not be upset if a car manufacturer sold me a car with more hp than advertised especially if I was buying a high performance car. I would be upset if I bought a Prius that had 300hp instead of the 200(?) and its gas mileage was 20 miles to a gallon.

nick, the gt2 is significantly slower than the carrera GT in acceleration, not even close. the technology is improving the handling aspect not acceleration. we are talking about a 3800 pounds car that does the mile in 11.6 at close to 120mph. There is no way in hell 480 hp are going to do that, pure and simple physics

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, the GT2 has "R compound" tyres, while the CGT doesn't (or only part of its tyres).

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Kreso made a good here because under advertising the cars power might mislead and will result in unnecessary injuryies. I know a bunch of people, especially young, that want to feel all the power, so they go to the limit. Problem is if this limit exceeds the expected value, i fear that many unexperienced drivers will end up crashing.. this kind of power at the price is just very dangerous.. kids here have killed themselves with a 350Z.

Legally your argument would not stand up in court. I agree that speed kills and causes injuries. It would be impossible to show/prove that 50hp more clearly caused the accident. There just are too many variables. It would be mere speculation.

We lawyers do not deal in speculation. Only "twisted" facts.

I was starting to warm a bit to this car because the tests I've read were phenominal, until I saw it in real life.

I am NOT feeling this car at all. It does absolutely NOTHING for me. It is rather awkward looking in real life.

theagent here told me it will be available in may 08..

Interesting write-up of the GTR vs R8 over on Top Gear:

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2008/02/stories/07/1.html

The GTR is apparently quite an achievment.

The piece also contains a blurry picture of a red GTR taken at night which almost manages to make the Nissan appear attractive.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689304 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409080 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65498 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857889 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773890 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM