Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RS!

Some news from an old member with a new username (sorry for the inconvenience).

I got a call two months ago bc a GT3RS had been cancelled at a Porsche center. I grabbed the occasion instantly, car is flat black with orange stuff everywhere, lots of carbon and leather inside, sat nav, ceramic brakes, etc.

I took delivery 10 days ago of the car with 27 km on it.
    It is amazing!!!

I thought I had a junior GT3 with my current car (sport chassis, PCCB and powerkit) but what I have is a supped up 997S, not a GT3.
    Difficult to grasp how a car can look so similar and yet be so different.

I when to pick up the car with some friends, passionate about cars, one giving me ride in his Enzo.
    This car is a freak, accelerates like nothings else, fantastic!

I've just finished the breakin of the RS (car has now 950 km) and taking it to the track this weekend alongside a 430 Scuderia (I think I'll like that too!).

This leads to a few changes, I am about to cancel my GT2, I've realised a few things, three 911s is OTT (I'm keeping my Carrera S), it will depreciate like no other 911, and most of all, it's not as track focused as the RS and it will be redundant with the 599, which incidently is now scheduled for June.

It is a great shame, but at least, it'll make someone else happy as I've heard there aren't that many around.

2008 is gonna be a good car year!

Take care,
    F

Re: RS!

Not doing very well at resizing pics, sorry terrible IT skills...
    PS: Also tried the V8 Vantage, great car but didn't like seating position and F1 box not as good as Ferraris. But great chassis, great engine.

Car is very very low and touches literally everywhere. Good think ze germans are pragmactic people and put a plastic lip, can be considered as consummable.

Enzo

parked on the street, quite a rare site...

Parking

Last one for now, big butt and sticky tyres (in my case P Zero Corsa) make for a mind blowingly stable car in long curves!

Wow. Nice collection! How would you compare the Enzo to the RS in terms of sound in the cabin? I know the RS is really loud when you are outside but I've never been in one that's been moving.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Wow. Nice collection! How would you compare the Enzo to the RS in terms of sound in the cabin? I know the RS is really loud when you are outside but I've never been in one that's been moving.

Incomparable sound. One Flat 6 vs a V12. Plus the Enzo had straight pipes so a bit on the loud side.
    The RS sound fantastic though, much better than a standard 911 with ou without PSE.
    It's got a valve that opens up at 4000 rpm (3000 in sport mode) and the noise becomes spectacular.
    Inside the RS, you get all sorts of really racy noises, not the least the chatter of the singel mass flywheel at idle, feels like there's lose gravel in the engine compartement.
    Radio is descent and it's fine to have a chat without shouting but I wouldn't qualify this car as an everyday proposition.
    No car with orange wheels should be an everyday proposition anyway!

No, anything with orange wheels shouldn't be a daily driver!

I would love to get a better sound out of my 997S, but don't want to go with straight pipes and PSE is too tame. Maybe Tubi? Anyway, nice pic's, enjoy the car.

This car looks so amazing! Great color combo and for sure crazy fun.

Enjoy that baby!

I love the color combination of your RS. It gives the rather stale Porsche lines an updated racy look. Good choice.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I love the color combination of your RS. It gives the rather stale Porsche lines an updated racy look. Good choice.

Any excuse for a jab at Porsche, huh?

Hi Futch - how did you get that RS onto the pavement withour scraping the spoiler to bits ? seems very low !!! lovely car

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Salut F, felicitations! Une tres bonne choix comme d'habitude...je pensais pourquoi tu etais si silent a Rennteam. Alors, voila la reponse si belle..

Quote:
    360bhp said:
    Hi Futch - how did you get that RS onto the pavement withour scraping the spoiler to bits ? seems very low !!! lovely car

I didn't.

As in, I did scrap the poiler, but not to bits.
    The trick is to overcome the horrible noise and remind yourself that it's just a 50 Euros piece of plastic.
    Same for parking ramps, speed bumps, it touches everywhere and I mean everywhere, but on close inspection, only the plastic lip touches the ground and it's not even that bad.

Indeed lovely car.
    One aspect which really really struck me in the breakin process is the compliance of the chassis.
    This car is just as comfortable (or uncomfortable depending on your standards) as my 997S equipped with sport chassis.

On PASM sport it's another story but that's for the track.

Awesome car Futch . Congrats!!!

Do you know how much does it cost the plastic lip for real?

Quote:
    silvershadow said:

Porsche centre quoted me 200 Euros.
    Frankly I'd rather buy it and clip myself!
    having said, one new lip every two years isn't much considered the car in question.

Thanks for the messages guys!

Well that's what i will do but do you know where to find the OEM part?

Quote:
    Futch said:
    Quote:
    silvershadow said:

Porsche centre quoted me 200 Euros.
    Frankly I'd rather buy it and clip myself!
    having said, one new lip every two years isn't much considered the car in question.

Thanks for the messages guys!

Well, I guess Ferrari does them in pure CF and charges you 2000 Euro.

BTW, great pics Futch!

Hello Futch! (sounds weird calling you Futch )!

congratulations for the GT3RS!

But a white 997 GT2......mmmmmmm....I would have loved it!

Quote:
    silvershadow said:
    Well that's what i will do but do you know where to find the OEM part?

No sorry. I will go through the dealer. It doesn't get damaged badly don't worry.

Re: RS! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Carlos from Spain

Congrats Futch Do you have more pics of the Aston, as well as more comments about what you didn't like, thanks!

Awesome car! I really love the color combo, enjoy it! I know what you mean about the loud chatter-y idle, I consider myself lucky enough to see one at the dealership, and they started it up and moved it a round a bit, then let it idle for a little bit.

Sounds incredible! More pics if you can!

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Congrats Futch Do you have more pics of the Aston, as well as more comments about what you didn't like, thanks!

I'll get more pics of the Aston later if you like.
    The car is great! More GT than sports car, in that respect, less multi talented than a 911 I would say, but more charm, more style (to some) and as a result, more desirable.
    I did not like the seating position because like many cars IMO, you seat too high.
    The high window "a la Audi TT" make for a claustrophobic environment which I dislike. But you get used to it, just don't try to cruise in the car window open and your elbow on the door, you will look stupid!
    Other minus points, I would say the engine, although great, it not as tractable as the 997, it needs revs and becomes alive above 5k rpm, torque us just about adequate.
    Noise is great, poise is great, building quality is nice and it's a very practical two seater car with loads of luggage room.

Re the GT3RS, I enjoyed Walter Rohrl's comments in another post saying it's the best 911, it really is a special car.
    normal GT3 has it all if you ask me.

I cancelled my GT2 order, delivery was scheduled in four weeks. Shame but know what I want.
    It found a new owner within 5 minutes!!!

More pics of the RS after this weekend where I will test it against a Scuderia. Should be a great contest!

A question for you futch and to anyone who has an RS or a GT3. Does the car touches the ground only with the front or it happens to have the rear touching as well? (that i imagine to be a lot more problematic)

Quote:
    silvershadow said:
    A question for you futch and to anyone who has an RS or a GT3. Does the car touches the ground only with the front or it happens to have the rear touching as well? (that i imagine to be a lot more problematic)

No the car touches only at the front and better than that, only the plastic lip, the back is fine.
    You still have to attack speed bump and parking ramp at an angle though but it's just fine.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM