Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918

JoeRockhead:
    Mithras:

Yeah it's been a crappy few days in Toronto. As people are saying happy January 104th. Smiley

Every year I like winter less and less. Seriously thinking of moving given the right opportunity. 

I'm with you. Every year I ask myself how many more of these ridiculous winters I want to deal with, and the answer is 'not many'.

My wife always liked winter time and skiing but now only the skiing has remained and even that annoys her more and more because it is freezing (feeling).

Bottom line is: The older I get, the more I like warm and dry weather. Also warm water (swimming). I rarely go to water parks because it is cold when you get out of the water and I hate this feeling but we went to a water park in Las Vegas last year and I spent one of the most pleasant days in my life there: Not many people, warm air and water temperatures, it was so pleasant, I spent two hours in the lazy river (almost fell asleep) and enjoyed a couple of attractions. My wife loves water parks but usually, she goes alone or with my son because I hate the cold (even in Orlando...Disney water parks...it can get cold when you get out of the water).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

It’s not just the snow, which you get really tired of shovelling, but the greyness too. The constant lack of sunlight can have a profound effect on you. The Scottsdale area would just right for us.

JoeRockhead:

It’s not just the snow, which you get really tired of shovelling, but the greyness too. The constant lack of sunlight can have a profound effect on you. The Scottsdale area would just right for us.

People are also different in "cold" countries, probably the reason why I love Miami and the culture there.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

JoeRockhead:

Yeah the greyness is having a profound affect right now. The problem is that for what I do (investment banker) and to a lesser extent what my wife does (large program management) there isn't too many cities where we can go. NYC isn't any better for the issues we have, nor is London (as much as I love London). My brother in law lives in SF and that might be one of the only possibilities unless I go back to the direct side.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

The northeast is cold in winter but is it very sunny especially vs west coast and Paris/London.

Not everyone knows this but Miami is the second largest financial center in the USA... as a guess, it will only get bigger.

SciFrog:

The northeast is cold in winter but is it very sunny especially vs west coast and Paris/London.

Not everyone knows this but Miami is the second largest financial center in the USA... as a guess, it will only get bigger.

It will get much bigger...so much money flowing in, this needs to be controlled/managed somehow. 

Miami is basically South America's financial center... Smiley

--

Sunniest cities in the US

Annual % average possible sunshine for US cities:

1 YUMA, AZ 90%
    2 REDDING, CA 88%
    3 LAS VEGAS, NV 85%
    4 PHOENIX, AZ 85%
    5 TUCSON, AZ 85%
    27 MIAMI, FL 70%
    33 SAN DIEGO, CA 68%
    43 SAN FRANCISCO C.O., CA 66%
    104 NEW YORK C.PARK, NY 58%

One artist's impression of the replacement for the Porsche 918 Spyder...

...all due credit to Alex Imnadze! Smiley

It looks nice but too extreme for a road car, not sure Porsche would build such a thing as a 918 successor. Maybe as something else, more extreme, similar to Mercedes Project One.

--

One could only wish. They'll never release anything like that though IMO.

noone1:

One could only wish. They'll never release anything like that though IMO.

Hopefully not.Smiley

JoeRockhead:

1 YUMA, AZ 90%
    2 REDDING, CA 88%
    3 LAS VEGAS, NV 85%
    4 PHOENIX, AZ 85%
    5 TUCSON, AZ 85%
    27 MIAMI, FL 70%
    33 SAN DIEGO, CA 68%

The number of sun days isn't as important as the temperature. Many of the leading cities for sun are brutally hot during the summer. Residents leave in droves to escape the heat. San Diego average temperature year round is around 70 degrees.Smiley

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

I am not sure whether I am going to buy the next Porsche halo car which will be an EV, doesn't matter how it looks.

There is no emotions. An EV is just a transport, nothing more anymore. See all the electric trams in airports. They are just for moving people from point A to point B.

I might change my mind after testing the Mission E, but judging from my experience of using the 918 in e-mode, it will be a long steep hill to convince me a EV car can supply enough emotions to be of interest.

They knew that and really want me to reserve judgement. 

A big part of 'performance' driving, be it canyon runs or on tracks, is the feedback: the engine note, combined with the knowledge of what gear one is in, gives a rough estimate of speed for judgement purposes, an EV only has a monotone whine, and no gears, so the feedback on speed is already compromised. Yes one can get comfortable again after spending more time driving and testing an EV to regain the senses, witness those Formula E drivers, but I don't think I can be bothered with.

--

nberry:
    JoeRockhead:

1 YUMA, AZ 90%
    2 REDDING, CA 88%
    3 LAS VEGAS, NV 85%
    4 PHOENIX, AZ 85%
    5 TUCSON, AZ 85%
    27 MIAMI, FL 70%
    33 SAN DIEGO, CA 68%

The number of sun days isn't as important as the temperature. Many of the leading cities for sun are brutally hot during the summer. Residents leave in droves to escape the heat. San Diego average temperature year round is around 70 degrees.Smiley

Summers in the Toronto area and winters in Scottsdale would do it for me. Smiley

Whoopsy:

I am not sure whether I am going to buy the next Porsche halo car which will be an EV, doesn't matter how it looks.

There is no emotions. An EV is just a transport, nothing more anymore. See all the electric trams in airports. They are just for moving people from point A to point B.

I might change my mind after testing the Mission E, but judging from my experience of using the 918 in e-mode, it will be a long steep hill to convince me a EV car can supply enough emotions to be of interest.

A big part of 'performance' driving, be it canyon runs or on tracks, is the feedback: the engine note, combined with the knowledge of what gear one is in, gives a rough estimate of speed for judgement purposes, an EV only has a monotone whine, and no gears, so the feedback on speed is already compromised. Yes one can get comfortable again after spending more time driving and testing an EV to regain the senses, witness those Formula E drivers, but I don't think I can be bothered with.

Intersting to know that the next P hypercard will be battery, and also to read your tastes on the e-mode on the 918.  Did anyone here see that Pagani are planning an EV with a manual?  Who thinks that will be either an amazing experience simply because of the manual, or will it be as bland as the other ev's?

The combustion engine is a dinosaur and will fade into oblivion in the relatively near future. Knowing this I am making the most of the time left with these gas guzzlers. As Nick says, auto transportation will be transformed into nothing more than getting from point A to point B in the most efficient and cost effective manner.

--

nberry:

The combustion engine is a dinosaur and will fade into oblivion in the relatively near future. Knowing this I am making the most of the time left with these gas guzzlers. As Nick says, auto transportation will be transformed into nothing more than getting from point A to point B in the most efficient and cost effective manner.

We might as well all be eating Soylent Green and collecting universal basic income at that point too. What a future to look forward to. Smiley

nberry:

What I see is a watch analogy.

A Tesla, or any EV for that matters, is the iPhone. Not a watch anymore. It has turned an automobile into just an object for transporting people. 

The iWatch is the hybrids, it is still a watch, but has the capability of a watch and some parts of 'smart' stuff combined, one still wear it on a wrist at least.

Good old fashion mechanical watches are the combustion engine cars. It really only do one thing well, that's to make the owner happy, it's doesn't keep time as well as a electronic watch or the phone, it's not the point of the watch anyway, owners buy them to appreciate the brand, the heritage, the craftsmanship, the details.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

A Tesla, or any EV for that matters, is the iPhone. Not a watch anymore. It has turned an automobile into just an object for transporting people. 

The iWatch is the hybrids, it is still a watch, but has the capability of a watch and some parts of 'smart' stuff combined, one still wear it on a wrist at least.

Good old fashion mechanical watches are the combustion engine cars. It really only do one thing well, that's to make the owner happy, it's doesn't keep time as well as a electronic watch or the phone, it's not the point of the watch anyway, owners buy them to appreciate the brand, the heritage, the craftsmanship, the details.

--

I would put this as a long term scenario.  ICEs still have relatively position as a prime mover in transportation for the next half century as ICEs improve along a technology curve too.   Only draconian global regulations to ban would lead to its demise.  Toyota, as an example, currently produces an engine with 40% efficiency.   Ferrari, in its F1, power unit has achieved over 50% efficiency for the engine alone using a controlled auto-ignition cycle.   Homogeneous charge combustion ignition (“HCCI”) extracts more energy content from the fuel as well as lower combustion temperatures that eliminate much of the NOx production.   Want additional proof?   Consider why the major automakers are proposing high octane gasoline in the US and EU.   That move is a necessary step toward commercialization of HCCI engines.  

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

Problem is watches are not subject to environmental regulations. The automobile is an easy target especially when technology has advanced cleaner, more cost efficient and environmentally friendly methods of transportation. It's only a matter of time when combustion engines will be outlawed.Smiley

--

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

Problem is watches are not subject to environmental regulations. The automobile is an easy target especially when technology has advanced cleaner, more cost efficient and environmentally friendly methods of transportation. It's only a matter of time when combustion engines will be outlawed.Smiley

Actually, the manufacture of watches is subject to environmental regulations.  Production of EVs are not without substantial environmental costs.  EVs require significant amounts more of copper to fabricate of the necessary electric motors and the copper smelting process is highly pollutive.  Traditional automobiles are using less and less copper as aluminum is being used in wiring looms, so the material required by weight per unit produced, drops.  Next look at the production issues with raw materials required to produce battery packs.  China controls several key aspects of the EV supply chain including rare metals, so the transition from ICE to EV makes the manufacturers more dependent on the fickle Chinese government.  Meanwhile, the United States is nearing energy independence in fossil fuels.  Are fossil fuels are longterm solution?  Hardly, however, for the near term energy independence for the United States is more and more dependent on fossil fuels.  Also consider the perverse relationship of increased EV sales-fossil fuel prices will drop, stimulating more ICE sales in certain markets.  

A Rolex costs $9k, has low maintenance and you can keep it all your life. You can have as many watches as you want, they are small. A car is a whole different animal... I see your point Nick but it is a weak analogy...

CGX car nut:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

Actually, the manufacture of watches is subject to environmental regulations.  Production of EVs are not without substantial environmental costs.  EVs require significant amounts more of copper to fabricate of the necessary electric motors and the copper smelting process is highly pollutive.  Traditional automobiles are using less and less copper as aluminum is being used in wiring looms, so the material required by weight per unit produced, drops.  Next look at the production issues with raw materials required to produce battery packs.  China controls several key aspects of the EV supply chain including rare metals, so the transition from ICE to EV makes the manufacturers more dependent on the fickle Chinese government.  Meanwhile, the United States is nearing energy independence in fossil fuels.  Are fossil fuels are longterm solution?  Hardly, however, for the near term energy independence for the United States is more and more dependent on fossil fuels.  Also consider the perverse relationship of increased EV sales-fossil fuel prices will drop, stimulating more ICE sales in certain markets.  

To some extent everything produced for public consumption has environmental issues. Watches hardly pose a threat to the environment. Regarding EV vehicles, I believe most governments had concluded that society would be better off with EV vehicles rather than those with combustion engines. Many countries (Germany being one) have already put car manufacturers on notice that combustion engines will be outlawed in the near future.

The raw material issue evolves with technology. What is needed today doesn't necessarily mean its needed in the future.

More importantly, the younger generation has lost its appetite for polluting vehicles and are shining away from that type of transportation. As a result, they will dictate the automobile agenda 10-20 years from now and most will be on board with quiet and cheap forms of transportation. Tesla and others will put them in an EV for less than $20,000 if not cheaper.

--

nberry:
    CGX car nut:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

To some extent everything produced for public consumption has environmental issues. Watches hardly pose a threat to the environment. Regarding EV vehicles, I believe most governments had concluded that society would be better off with EV vehicles rather than those with combustion engines. Many countries (Germany being one) have already put car manufacturers on notice that combustion engines will be outlawed in the near future.

The raw material issue evolves with technology. What is needed today doesn't necessarily mean its needed in the future.

More importantly, the younger generation has lost its appetite for polluting vehicles and are shining away from that type of transportation. As a result, they will dictate the automobile agenda 10-20 years from now and most will be on board with quiet and cheap forms of transportation. Tesla and others will put them in an EV for less than $20,000 if not cheaper.

--

That younger generation can’t fathom the differences between male and female and believe that division is fluid.  

CGX car nut:

That younger generation can’t fathom the differences between male and female and believe that division is fluid.  

now this is sensitive political topic Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

CGX car nut:

That statement is only true in Canada. Our prime minister is a great proponent of zero gender or multiple gender. I mean, soon some weird do Canadian will identity as neither female nor male but as a fish. Or a frog. Or a lizard. Perhaps even spider. They will sue the government for discrimination against fish, frog or whatever. Our prime minister will then declare a fish or a frog is also part of the gender pool.

I am just waiting for someone to identity themselves as a horse or a dog or a sheep, just so they can justify beastiality, and our prime minister opened that can of worm himself.

For the rest of the world, which actually base the distinction on proven science, the majority of the population of the world falls within either XX or XY.

--

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

That statement is only true in Canada. Our prime minister is a great proponent of zero gender or multiple gender. I mean, soon some weird do Canadian will identity as neither female nor male but as a fish. Or a frog. Or a lizard. Perhaps even spider. They will sue the government for discrimination against fish, frog or whatever. Our prime minister will then declare a fish or a frog is also part of the gender pool.

I am just waiting for someone to identity themselves as a horse or a dog or a sheep, just so they can justify beastiality, and our prime minister opened that can of worm himself.

For the rest of the world, which actually base the distinction on proven science, the majority of the population of the world falls within either XX or XY.

Not only in Canada.  Chicago has a very large wing of that movement. 

On that you may have point.

That said, they will be our caretakers and as a result of the political tribalism that exists in our country, they now are aware of the power of voting. To see our future you need to understand their mindset.  Fast, loud, gas guzzling vehicles that pollute the environment are of little interest to them. kiss

--

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

Not only in Canada.  Chicago has a very large wing of that movement. 

Yes cause it is close to Canada Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Smiley "e-mode" is only attractive in the beginning, you enjoy the novelty of it but after some time, it wears off. 

Oh boy did I enjoy my car last weekend, the sound, the feedback, the noises, everything, had my son with me, he was in 7th heaven. That kid has petrol in his blood. Smiley 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM